PDA

View Full Version : Miami's Chalmers earning praise at summer league

Wade_County
07-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Heat rookie guard Mario Chalmers hasn't arrived yet. But he's on his way.

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird loves him. "I think Mario's the steal of the draft," Bird said after watching a few of Chalmers' games at this week's Orlando Summer League.

New Jersey coach Lawrence Frank also had high praise for the 6-foot-1 bundle of energy. Through four games, Chalmers has averaged 16 points and 6.25 assists. He's gone 35-for-37 on free throws, a high total for a point guard. Defensively, he has been just as solid.

"If he's not the best," Frank said, "he's one of the top three players here."

And that's among a crew that includes Chicago guard Derrick Rose, the No. 1 pick of the draft; Miami forward Michael Beasley, the No. 2 pick; Oklahoma City guard Russell Westbrook, the No. 4 pick; and New Jersey center Brook Lopez, who was selected 10th. Chicago big men Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah, who have some NBA experience, also are included in that mix.

In Miami's first game, Chalmers smoothly dispatched Rose, finishing with 11 points, six assists, four steals and one turnover. Rose ended with 10 points, four assists and five turnovers. Chalmers and Westbrook dueled Thursday in a battle that might have matched the two best players in Orlando this week. In Miami's 101-76 victory, Chalmers, the Kansas product, finished with 11. Westbrook, who played at UCLA, finished with 19.

Heat fans shouldn't be surprised if Chalmers wins the starting point guard job.

Source: Palm Beach Post

SwaggaIke
07-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Chalmers is the truth. Wise beyond his years on the court. I think he'll also be a 88-90% free throw shooter. Which is a great thing seeing as we've been one of the worst for many years.

kntresistheheat
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
So why dont we just give him (chalmers) the starting job put a vet behind him just incase he folds and go hard for a big man? Or just trade marion for a big and a solid backup that would work? Can you imagine when they put james jones, chalmers along with wade to break the d I mean he can choose either one and they would be money from the three!