PDA

View Full Version : The Rays will start to come down to earth.

iam brett favre
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Dont look at this is as jumping to conclusions becasue of their last few games.. its just reality the way i see it.
The Rays are 36-14 at home, and 19-22 on the road. They have to play 9 more games on the road then on home for the rest of the season, and honestly, i think they will hold up. I see there young players cooling down a bit, and in the 2nd half teams will figure out pitchers like Garza, Sonnanstine, and they already have figured out Edwin Jackson. They are a team I always rooted for, and I'm in a way glad to see that they have had success up to this point, but honestly, i dont see it happening. Only the Indians and Mariners have less road wins than the Rays, and lets look at a more balanced team.. like the Yankees. They have a winning record and both home, and away games. I just think that the Rays success is about to come to a hault, what are your thoughts?

DewsSox79
07-10-2008, 11:53 PM
disagree

Tragedy
07-10-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree for the most part, but the Yankees aren't a balanced team. Maybe as far as their below average record goes, but, so what? Streaky offense, even streakier pitching? Balance? Where? In A-Rod's swing? That's about it...

natepro
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Only Boston has a better Runs Scored/Runs Allowed Differential in that division. I think that's going to be a 2-team race for the rest of this season.

Ragun
07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
I disagree also. They are young...they wont wear down like the yankees or some other old team.

rriders9
07-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I agree for the most part, but the Yankees aren't a balanced team. Maybe as far as their below average record goes, but, so what? Streaky offense, even streakier pitching? Balance? Where? In A-Rod's swing? That's about it...

Agreed, Yanks have been consistently inconsistent on offense, and they have Ponson and Rasner in their rotation.

streaky offense+weak back end of rotation doesnt equal balanced for me. IMO

ShinobiNYC
07-11-2008, 12:06 AM
I think it depends a lot on the health of Ortiz and how the Yankees rotation will shape up. If Ortiz is back healthy and producing and the Yankees somehow not only fix their current rotation and get their veterans back on track(Jeter, Abreu, Posada) then I don't see the Rays being in the race....My best guess will be a 3 teams race until the wire and the healthier team and the one who will go for it more(either via trade or promoting from the farm) will come out. The other one will probably win the WC.

BigEric
07-11-2008, 12:27 AM
The Rays will be neck and neck with the Sox, but since the Sox have more home games left than the Rays, I think the Sox will take the divison.

jmtapia
07-11-2008, 01:27 AM
Rays are a young team and last time i checked as they gain experience young player and thus teams get better....IMO bad road records are a clear example of a young team just being young.

As the season prolongs these young players will learn how to ready them selves to play no matter where they are and thus get better.

Uncle Funster
07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
It's going to come down to the rays and sawx.

2gunzblazin
07-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I think the sawx will win the division and the yankees and rays will be neck and neck for the wild card spot just because the yanks as always will go on the summer hot streak and make it close. The only difference is if the yanks get into the playoffs they will suck it up again while the rays could do some damage

The A Team
07-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I see the Rays recent struggles as a minor hiccup. They still blow the Yankees pitching staff out of the water and are close behind the Red Sox pitching. David Price could bring them neck and neck with them...we'll see. As for offense, the Rays have enough speed to manufacture runs and enough power to pile on the damage against weaker pitching.

DaSox_05
07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
The Rays have some very good pitching and last time I checked pitching is what wins. As long as there pitching stays consistent I sont see them going anywhere and it will make for an interesting second half.

iam brett favre
07-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Lets look at their pitchers splits:
Matt Garza
home- 5-1, 2.38 ERA
away- 2-3, 5.09 ERA

James Shields
home- 5-1, 2.12 ERA
away- 2-4, 6.09 ERA

Even Scott Kazmir has a 2 run higher ERA on the road, and Andy Sonnanstine has a 4.6 ERA on the road.. their pitchers are not good on the road.

CubsGirl
07-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I completely disagree. We had a discussion just like this in the Cubs forum, and if they continue at their current pace (.720 win percentage at home, .463 on the road), they end up with 96 wins (59 at home, 37 away). Will they end up with 96 wins? Maybe not, but it wouldn't be surprising if they were close.

If you're a stellar home team, you can afford to be an average away team.

cwilson21
07-11-2008, 12:35 PM
That being said, I'd still take the Rays staff over the Yankees.

ShinobiNYC
07-11-2008, 01:16 PM
The Rays bullpen won't be as good as it was the first 3 months btw, they may need another pitcher like Price to help their BP especially with Percival hurt.
The 2 games they lost to the Yankees was because of that bullpen.

kpaul_nyc
07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't know but I think it's gonna be a 3-horse race with the Sox coming out on top.

SHONIE
07-11-2008, 02:06 PM
sox > rays

that goes for regular season and playoffs.

76YazwSideburns
07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Their rotation and bullpen are both due for a correction - the bullpen, especially, is pitching over its collective head. They'll correct before the end of the year.

3 Team Race......I like your optimism

FriarFanatic
07-11-2008, 03:06 PM
rays will win the division to complete the second best story in all of baseball behind josh hamilton's

PhillyUD26
07-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Lets look at their pitchers splits:
Matt Garza
home- 5-1, 2.38 ERA
away- 2-3, 5.09 ERA

James Shields
home- 5-1, 2.12 ERA
away- 2-4, 6.09 ERA

Even Scott Kazmir has a 2 run higher ERA on the road, and Andy Sonnanstine has a 4.6 ERA on the road.. their pitchers are not good on the road.

Considering they are in a tiny ballpark, I think that thats a great thing that they have such good numbers at home. Pretty amazing actually. Don't know how to explain the away numbers, I guess having a look at the ballparks they have pitched at will tell the whole story.

Tragedy
07-11-2008, 03:33 PM
I completely disagree. We had a discussion just like this in the Cubs forum, and if they continue at their current pace (.720 win percentage at home, .463 on the road), they end up with 96 wins (59 at home, 37 away). Will they end up with 96 wins? Maybe not, but it wouldn't be surprising if they were close.

If you're a stellar home team, you can afford to be an average away team.
Red Sox are proving that theory this year (And in years past).

iam brett favre
07-11-2008, 11:16 PM
:eyebrow: 5 game losing streak?

dmb
07-12-2008, 01:53 AM
just like the Cardinals...the Rays will fade away

iam brett favre
07-13-2008, 12:08 PM
:eyebrow: 6 game losing streak?

torontocubs
07-13-2008, 12:20 PM
This Rays team is going to be there come October. I don't think it really matters if they finish with the division, or they take the wild card. This team is the real deal. And so what if they finish second to the defending world champs. The scary thought is that they have the best pitching prospect in the world, sitting in the minor leagues, absolutely dominating every hitter he faces. If the Rays are still close come late August/September, David Price will be called up, and it is pretty scary to think what he may be able to do. If he continues to dominate the way he has, He could destroy batters, especially considering their will be no scouting reports on him, and none of the hitters have ever faced him before. Just ask A-rod how Price was in his rehab stint, Price k'd Alex twice.

The front three of Kazmir, Shields, and Garza is pretty damn filthy. Add to that mix that you could always drop Sonnanstine or Jackson to the bullpen and add Price to the rotation, or vice versa. Sure this team needs to improve in some areas, but who doesn't. This team is going to ride it's youth more than last years D-backs, plus the fact that they have more talent than that team.

I am so pumped for September and October.

iam brett favre
07-13-2008, 07:54 PM
:eyebrow: 7 game losing streak?

Halladay
07-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I dont even get how the Yankees are included in this thread at all...are people just going on what they've done in the past or something? In this division this year it's Tampa and Boston and Baltimore, NY and Toronto battling for third place. I'm fine with Yankee fans being optimistic but the Yankees aren't a better team then the Jays and maybe the O's this year.

ShinobiNYC
07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
I dont even get how the Yankees are included in this thread at all...are people just going on what they've done in the past or something? In this division this year it's Tampa and Boston and Baltimore, NY and Toronto battling for third place. I'm fine with Yankee fans being optimistic but the Yankees aren't a better team then the Jays and maybe the O's this year.

The Yankees usually go on a winning streak after the ASB, we'll see if it happens again(Matsui and damon will be back in a week btw).
i still think they'll finish 2nd but of course thay still have a lot of ?

Neely
07-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Disagree. The Rays will be right up there with the Red Sox.

Halladay
07-13-2008, 09:22 PM
The Yankees usually go on a winning streak after the ASB, we'll see if it happens again(Matsui and damon will be back in a week btw).
i still think they'll finish 2nd but of course thay still have a lot of ?

I'm aware of the Yankees history of late runs but I doubt the offense can save the rotation this season...hell, the Yanks offense hasn't been as good as it has been in the past...Sure the Yankees could make a run but I don't see why the Jays couldn't do it either. I suppose the O's could to but they aren't the same calibre team as the Jays or Yanks even if the O's record isn't bad they don't have to kind of team as others in the AL East. The only way Boston or Tampa lets someone else in this division back in it is if they go on major losing streaks-and Tampa is currently doing that.:clap:

HighVelocity
07-13-2008, 10:13 PM
I was recently starting to think of the Rays eventually falling apart. I just can't see them making the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, they have been playing great baseball up to this point. I just can't see them holding on to their lead during the second half. They have a great record at home, but aren't very good on the road. The road games will eventually hurt them IMO. I'm really hoping that the Yankees win the AL East, but with the way that they're playing there is a possibility that the Red Sox will come out victorious.

Halladay
07-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I was recently starting to think of the Rays eventually falling apart. I just can't see them making the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, they have been playing great baseball up to this point. I just can't see them holding on to their lead during the second half. They have a great record at home, but aren't very good on the road. The road games will eventually hurt them IMO. I'm really hoping that the Yankees win the AL East, but with the way that they're playing there is a possibility that the Red Sox will come out victorious.

Just a possbility? come on man...

ShinobiNYC
07-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm aware of the Yankees history of late runs but I doubt the offense can save the rotation this season...hell, the Yanks offense hasn't been as good as it has been in the past...Sure the Yankees could make a run but I don't see why the Jays couldn't do it either. I suppose the O's could to but they aren't the same calibre team as the Jays or Yanks even if the O's record isn't bad they don't have to kind of team as others in the AL East. The only way Boston or Tampa lets someone else in this division back in it is if they go on major losing streaks-and Tampa is currently doing that.:clap:
The pitching has actually been much better than people think. 12th in the majors and 7th on away games, not bad.
The offense definitely has to wake up.

One Nut Kruk
07-14-2008, 12:14 AM
I've been saying they will eventually fall apart for awhile now. I didn't envision this 7 game slide but I figure once they get into September and are within striking distance of the division, the pressure will be on and they have a home and home series with both Boston and New York and also play in Detroit. Good young team with a bright future but I don't think they will hold up.