PDA

View Full Version : Murton and Patterson Now A's Trade Bait?

BUD Bleachers
07-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Tribune Tonight With Interesting Tidbits (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080710-carlos-zambrano-chicago-cubs-all-star,1,4482750.story)

poodski
07-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Talk in Oakland is that Matt Murton and Eric Patterson might be used as trade bait to get the A's more power. … With two runs in seven innings, Jeff Samardzija raised his Triple-A record to 3-1 and lowered his ERA to 3.55. He allowed no walks and struck out seven against Round Rock.

I could see them doing it.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-11-2008, 08:36 AM
I could see them doing it.

William always has something up his sleeve.

poodski
07-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I am more interested in the tidbit about Shark.

Maybe he could be our number 4 or 5 next year.

cowboydoc45
07-11-2008, 08:53 AM

I still think he is behind a couple guys. I think Marshall/Hart have priority over him right now. He will most definately get a look in ST though...

poodski
07-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I still think he is behind a couple guys. I think Marshall/Hart have priority over him right now. He will most definately get a look in ST though...

Nah. Its the same thing as Marquis. Samardjiza is making like 1.3 mil next year already.

Plus I just dont know if they see Hart as a starter or not.

I hope they realize Marshall is just a swing man.

bleedCUBBIEblue
07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
yea, i think they see hart as a reliever and if they did see marshall as a guy that will have a future here, then he would be starting right now. i would really be surprised if the shark was not in the rotation to start the year next year.

could you imagine that!!....

Z
Harden
Demp
Lilly
Shark

behindmydesk
07-11-2008, 09:52 AM
I will be shocked if he is in the rotation next year. If they have a september call up of him, then maybe, if not I'm still saying middle of 09 at the earliest for Jeff the Former ND reciever (easier then saying his last name)

ggross
07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
I will be shocked if he is in the rotation next year. If they have a september call up of him, then maybe, if not I'm still saying middle of 09 at the earliest for Jeff the Former ND reciever (easier then saying his last name)

You could probably even leave off the Jeff part to make it easier.

poodski
07-11-2008, 09:57 AM

I think it depends on a need. If we dont bring back Dempster or we trade Marquis who is our 5th starter next year?

sauce
07-11-2008, 10:02 AM

I would love for the Cubs to have a double digit lead in September (12-15 games) so that they could bring up the shark and let him start a couple of games. Gives our staff some rest and let's us take a glimps into the future.

ggross
07-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I think it depends on a need. If we dont bring back Dempster or we trade Marquis who is our 5th starter next year?

I wonder if Guzman will ever be healthy enough to start.

poodski
07-11-2008, 10:15 AM
I wonder if Guzman will ever be healthy enough to start.

Who knows.

I think they may just be taking him to the BP, but I dont really know.

I would imagine JB or Kirel would be better at answering that.

faithfulfan
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I would like to see Veal get a shot next year in ST. I would really like to see him and Shark maybe get a start in Sept. if we have a good sized lead. That way we can rest Z, Harden, and Demp.

cowboydoc45
07-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I would love for the Cubs to have a double digit lead in September (12-15 games) so that they could bring up the shark and let him start a couple of games. Gives our staff some rest and let's us take a glimps into the future.

I think this is the first post I have agreed with you on. Honestly, I don't think it would take a double digit lead, just a decent (at least 6) lead in late September, and we will probably see some starts from future players. If we keep our rotation fresh into October (including keeping Harden healthy) we will be monsterous.

cowboydoc45
07-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Who knows.

I think you are right. I believe the last time he actually pitched in the majors, there was talk of grooming him for the closer role. I don't think he will fill that anytime soon (I expect we will resign Wood in the same role), but I think he could be a pretty dominant BP arm.

poodski
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I think you are right. I believe the last time he actually pitched in the majors, there was talk of grooming him for the closer role. I don't think he will fill that anytime soon (I expect we will resign Wood in the same role), but I think he could be a pretty dominant BP arm.

Yeah I remember that as well but I think Cashner is now being groomed as the closer of the future.

Which makes the first pick a little worse IMO.

cowboydoc45
07-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah I remember that as well but I think Cashner is now being groomed as the closer of the future.

Which makes the first pick a little worse IMO.

I think Cashner has more chance than Guzman to be closer, but we'll see. If it turns out that we are dead set on Kerry for the forseable future, and Cashner starts mowing people down, we could either use him as a power arm out of the pen, or we could use him in a trade if it came down to it. I hate trading that kind of talent, but sometimes, guys are drafted to become trade fodder... IMHO.

behindmydesk
07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I think Cashner has more chance than Guzman to be closer, but we'll see. If it turns out that we are dead set on Kerry for the forseable future, and Cashner starts mowing people down, we could either use him as a power arm out of the pen, or we could use him in a trade if it came down to it. I hate trading that kind of talent, but sometimes, guys are drafted to become trade fodder... IMHO.

well if cashner is mowing people down, and is ready for the closers role. Then we shouldn't spend the money on wood. In fact, I don't like the idea of giving wood a 3 year 30 million dollar deal he's going to require anyway. Love the guy, but spending 10 million on a closer is always foolish.

windycityD
07-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Nah. Its the same thing as Marquis. Samardjiza is making like 1.3 mil next year already.

Plus I just dont know if they see Hart as a starter or not.

I hope they realize Marshall is just a swing man.

I see the Shark as a legit contender for the pen next season and our 5th starter in 2010. He needs more innings and more development of his stuff/ command.

Kirel
07-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Who knows.

Initially, sure, BP sounds quite right. I think the move to the pen last time was largely predicated by his fragile health.

Now with the TJ surgery in his past and his success in rookie league rehab, they'll probably start relying on the arm a bit more. I expect he'll do a maximum length rehab stint in the minors(AA maybe?) either starting or co-starting(that is, starter 1 gets x pitches\innings, starter 2 gets y pitches\innings, pen finishes the rest of the game) depending on where he goes just to get innings in and then a callup in September for the pen.

If he's healthy, though, and pitches well I don't think they'll refuse to consider him for the rotation next year, especially considering the expected surge of Marmol, Cashner, Ceda, Ascaino, and maybe Maestri and Dumas Garcias to the pen over the next year.

Jilly Bohnson
07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Initially, sure, BP sounds quite right. I think the move to the pen last time was largely predicated by his fragile health.

Now with the TJ surgery in his past and his success in rookie league rehab, they'll probably start relying on the arm a bit more. I expect he'll do a maximum length rehab stint in the minors(AA maybe?) either starting or co-starting(that is, starter 1 gets x pitches\innings, starter 2 gets y pitches\innings, pen finishes the rest of the game) depending on where he goes just to get innings in and then a callup in September for the pen.

If he's healthy, though, and pitches well I don't think they'll refuse to consider him for the rotation next year, especially considering the expected surge of Marmol, Cashner, Ceda, Ascaino, and maybe Maestri and Dumas Garcias to the pen over the next year.

I dunno, with all the cramping issues he had last year, the numerous arm injuries, and Lou having the patience of a 4 year old, I don't see Guzman getting a legit chance to start. I would like him to, but I don't see it in the cards.

Kirel
07-11-2008, 12:31 PM
I dunno, with all the cramping issues he had last year, the numerous arm injuries, and Lou having the patience of a 4 year old, I don't see Guzman getting a legit chance to start. I would like him to, but I don't see it in the cards.
I think his spring training next year will be the more important factor, hoenstly.

ggross
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I think his spring training next year will be the more important factor, hoenstly.

Lou will probably already have his mind made up before spring training... i.e, Wade Miller, Marquis, Soriano in CF, etc.

MrPoon
07-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Wade Miller.

:laugh:

C-ross12
07-11-2008, 04:51 PM

Never heard of this kid. Not to be a pest or anything but do you have any info on him?

CubsRule08
07-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Is anyone who has MLB.TV gonna watch Gallagher's debut tonight for the A's?

Kirel
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Never heard of this kid. Not to be a pest or anything but do you have any info on him?
Not alot, this comment on thecubreporter is probably the best I know of

A scout (who shall remain nameless) from another organization saw Garcia throw lights-out in Instructs last October and really liked him as an MLB middle-relief prospect (as in immediately). He asked me who this "Garcia" was and where he came from, saying he had never heard of the guy!

http://thecubreporter.com/2008/06/24/hill-begins-long-climb-back#comment-10327

CRUNCH: Yes! That's it. Garcia throws a killer slider (not a splitter, my mistake) and 92-94 MPH fastball (all hard stuff).

And he pitches like he's throwing from a wheelchair. It's kinda goofy.

Or imagine Stephen Hawking throwing a 94 MPH fastball along with a hard slider as the Cubs closer at Wrigley Field.

http://thecubreporter.com/2008/06/24/hill-begins-long-climb-back#comment-10329

He's gone from the instructional league to AAA this season. He's 25, but really rocketing through the system.