PDA

View Full Version : Raptors Sign Nathan "Baby Shaq" Jawai to a Two Year Deal...

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Australian media are now reporting that the Toronto Raptors have signed the 41st pick of the 2008 draft, Nathan Jawai, to a two year deal.
Another source is also reporting that Nathan is expected to join the Summer League and play for the Raptors on Sunday against the Kings.

Source:
http://news.smh.com.au/sport/jawai-lands-basketball-deal-with-raptors-20080711-3dhx.html

DaoudS
07-10-2008, 11:10 PM
we'll see how this experiment turns out. A year in the D-League or Europe would've helped his progression rather than being the 11th or 12th guy

Ragun
07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
I hope he is more of a prospect than a project.

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
I don't know, it's something about this guy, that's making me feel he's going to shine, and that he was a steal at #41.

R_Squared99
07-10-2008, 11:19 PM
I don't know, it's something about this guy, that's making me feel he's going to shine, and that he was a steal at #41.

Thats what everyone said about PJ Tucker.........I still cant get over that the raptors missed out on Chris Douglas-Roberts by one pick!

Bramaca
07-10-2008, 11:33 PM
we'll see how this experiment turns out. A year in the D-League or Europe would've helped his progression rather than being the 11th or 12th guy

Its still very possible that he could spend the majority of the year playing in the d-league.

mariotubes
07-10-2008, 11:51 PM
I hope he is more of a prospect than a project.
dito

clehmun
07-10-2008, 11:54 PM
another baby shaq? haha
i personally don't think he'll be anymore than a solid, tough, energy role player. which is more than enough for a 2nd round pick.

The Wise 1
07-11-2008, 01:21 AM

That something you feel is the fact that he's a Raptor.

hades
07-11-2008, 02:18 AM
i hope he turns into a maxiel

RaPToR_FeVeR
07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I hope he turns out to the next Shaq. That would be a sick front court rotation. :speechless:

_Sn1P3r_
07-11-2008, 09:35 AM

I agree. He wouldn't really learn anything by being a benchwarmer.

reevanson
07-11-2008, 09:48 AM
"Baby Shaq"? hahahhahahahaha, oh my sides, that was a good one....oh you werent joking?

CB4real
07-11-2008, 09:55 AM
The thing with this guy, is that he's still young, and last year was his first of professional basketball. That means a lot. It all depends on how he adjusts and adapts his style to the american game. Because he's still young there's a possibility NOT a PROBABILITY that he could mould his raw game into something special. Let's just wait and see... but again his conditioning seems to be an issue. If you listen to his interviews on Youtube, he's COMPLETELY out of breath and sweating like a maniac, unlike lots of the other draftees.

zantabak
07-11-2008, 05:37 PM
He seems like an oliver miller/robert "tractor" traylor type player. If he can get some minutes to bring some grit to our team, i don't think it'll be a bad signing...hopefully he can measure up to NBA standards though

the life
07-11-2008, 05:39 PM

but we need an 11th or 12th guy don't we. a cheap one. he fits the description.

PostYourEyes
07-11-2008, 09:33 PM
since we signed him, why not work with him and see what he can do?

NoChance.
07-11-2008, 09:47 PM
This kids gunna turn into Erick Dampier with a better offensive game 16 ppg and 11rpg as his best year.

Halladay
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm just hoping he can replace Humphries so we can get rid of Hump for a SF. He(Jawaii) reminds me of that kind of role player we need so hopefully Jawaii can do something and we can get something for Chris "what do you mean I can't take every shot?" Humphries.

NoChance.
07-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Also to those people who said the D-league woulda helped him,who in the D-league can be as good of a mentor as JO or Bosh?

Raptors27
07-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Jawai will be a good player, could be instant impact player.

cdnsportsfan
07-12-2008, 12:34 AM
From the reactions within here it sounds like he's either going to be a star on the team or a bust, why can't he just contribute with what he can? Bargnani came in out of nowhere (essentially for North Americans anyways) in the role of a big time player, while Moon also came out of nowhere but made something out of himself. I guess Jawai is a combination of the 2 since he WAS drafted (and Moon wasn't), but he's supposed to just fill a lower position on the team.

While many say D-League or Europe is best for his development - and that's not necessarily a bad opinion - it does seems there's a reason why they want to bring him onto the team. Let's just see why that is, whether it be that he's affordable to fill out the roster or he's a diamond-in-the-rough contributor, I'm sure there's some reason.

carlo4444
07-12-2008, 04:54 AM
he played big mins over here in australia and im glad the raptors have got him his gonna be something special but its going to come down if he can aujust his game by not playing as many mins and learn from players like jo and bosh

ramz.n
07-12-2008, 09:54 AM
This kids gunna turn into Erick Dampier with a better offensive game 16 ppg and 11rpg as his best year.

lol how many games is he going to play in?...1..just to keep those stats..realistically hes a filler just like Tucker a few years ago..if he works out he stays if he doesnt he gets sent down like to the Dleague ..but if hes the 11- 12 guy ..you shouldn't expect him to have a huge impact scoring wise.

Bob_at_york
07-12-2008, 10:45 AM
lol how many games is he going to play in?...1..just to keep those stats..realistically hes a filler just like Tucker a few years ago..if he works out he stays if he doesnt he gets sent down like to the Dleague ..but if hes the 11- 12 guy ..you shouldn't expect him to have a huge impact scoring wise.

in NoChance's own defence, he said in Jawai's best year not his rookie year.

ramz.n
07-12-2008, 11:02 AM
in NoChance's own defence, he said in Jawai's best year not his rookie year.

thats if he starts...but if we have O'neal and Bosh healthy..do you think this guy will replace either? I personally don't think its going to happen unless its 2 years down the road where O'neal is a FA and by that time this guy has proven himself..but i don't think he can prove himself with Bosh and O'neal playing majority of the minutes

Bob_at_york
07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
thats if he starts...but if we have O'neal and Bosh healthy..do you think this guy will replace either? I personally don't think its going to happen unless its 2 years down the road where O'neal is a FA and by that time this guy has proven himself..but i don't think he can prove himself with Bosh and O'neal playing majority of the minutes
Well I hope for Jawai's sake that his career lasts longer than the two year contract that he is signed to, so I am assuming we are talking about post JO too.

B2B
07-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Did anyone think a plane would crash into the trade towers?. I wish everyone would stop trying to see into the future unless you have esp, it can never be determined. If the same was said for Moon starting over Kapono, he would've been buried at the end of the bench because we all know he's just a d leaguer.

Until something is proven to be a failure don't declare it one. Stop being presumptious, everyone deserves a chance before people pass judgement on them.

What if O'Neal gets hurt & Jawai plays like a monster?. That's me being optimistic, which has as much validity as you saying he won't. That's you being pessimistic.

Only time can tell the future.

da1nonly
07-12-2008, 11:32 AM
diamond in the rough... hopefully he can pull ahead of humphries on the raptors' bigman depth chart...

brebre82
07-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Did anyone think a plane would crash into the trade towers?. I wish everyone would stop trying to see into the future unless you have esp, it can never be determined. If the same was said for Moon starting over Kapono, he would've been buried at the end of the bench because we all know he's just a d leaguer.

Until something is proven to be a failure don't declare it one. Stop being presumptious, everyone deserves a chance before people pass judgement on them.

Thats just a terrible analogy. and one that is easily refuted. The terrorists knew that would happen. They were the informed. In this case there are certain people (e.g Australians who have been following his game) who might have more insight than us in the potential of Jawai. That is the purpose of having this discussion, it cannot be determined exactly how he would do, but it can be sensibly prognosticated and speculated, and everyone has a right to express their views, however presumptious they may seem to you. It isn't like bloggers not giving him a chance will result in him getting cut from the team, so chill out. :)

reevanson
07-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Did anyone think a plane would crash into the trade towers?.

What if O'Neal gets hurt & Jawai plays like a monster?. That's me being optimistic

First that is a disgusting analogy, please dont ever compare such a world changing event where thousands of people died to an insignificant game (dont get me wrong I love basketball but cmon) and second your being optimistic is O'Neal getting hurt....? nice. I wouldnt like to see your pesimistic outlooks.

Laker fan in OZ
07-13-2008, 04:40 AM
I wouldn't put too much energy into believing what the Aussie press says about him, Andrew Bogut is better than Tim Duncan if you read our press, lol. I hope for you guys he pans out, but he hasn't been playing long (started late) so I hope that not too much is expected of him early on either

Legitimate
07-13-2008, 05:10 AM
Hmm..did you guys do research on this guy? This guy won mvp in the australian all-star game and avg a lot of points and rebounds in the australian league and he also looks like he in excellent physical condition, he's know arajou or w/e u call his name. This guy is a steal and I hope he is Oneals back up center. Wow this is such a steal, I don't understand why he wasn't selected in the first round, Brian Colangelo is the best thing to ever happen to this team, after chris bosh that is :). This guy will only benefit practicing with Oneal and bosh. I'm thinking he'll at least avg like 2 blocks and 10 rebounds hin his prime. Oh yeah I guarantee this guy will atleast avg like 6-7 boards a game but probably a few turnovers if he gets a lot of min.

Laker fan in OZ
07-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Hmm..did you guys do research on this guy? This guy won mvp in the australian all-star game and avg a lot of points and rebounds in the australian league and he also looks like he in excellent physical condition, he's know arajou or w/e u call his name. This guy is a steal and I hope he is Oneals back up center. Wow this is such a steal, I don't understand why he wasn't selected in the first round, Brian Colangelo is the best thing to ever happen to this team, after chris bosh that is :). This guy will only benefit practicing with Oneal and bosh. I'm thinking he'll at least avg like 2 blocks and 10 rebounds hin his prime. Oh yeah I guarantee this guy will atleast avg like 6-7 boards a game but probably a few turnovers if he gets a lot of min.

Not to try and put him down, but how many Australians have made it in the NBA?? Not many! Our "all time great" Andrew gaze was at best a back up!

carlo4444
07-13-2008, 06:13 AM
lol true i think "laker fan in oz" is right over here in australia they make him sound like a god plus the players arent that good over here so no wonder he won mvp....but i still think he will be a great player

B2B
07-13-2008, 07:49 AM
First that is a disgusting analogy, please dont ever compare such a world changing event where thousands of people died to an insignificant game (dont get me wrong I love basketball but cmon) and second your being optimistic is O'Neal getting hurt....? nice. I wouldnt like to see your pesimistic outlooks.

I'm making a point, it happened and none new it would. I'm not glorifying the event like you're making it sound. Am I not to speak of it like it never happened. I have 3 friends who passed away in the last couple of months, am I not to mention them in talk because they died. That's life, bad things happen & you got to move on, time & life doesn't wait for you. Maybe you think i'm insensitive but I saw nothing wrong with what I said.

If you didn't catch it, we we're talking about Jawai & his play. I'm optimistic of Jawai playing well, not O'Neal getting hurt :pity:

B2B
07-13-2008, 07:52 AM

He was projected as a late first rounder & fell as far as he did because only six teams had worked him out.

ramz.n
07-13-2008, 11:02 AM
if Jawaii becomes this incredible player..i feel bad for Hump.

blujaysrock
07-13-2008, 11:30 AM
if Jawaii becomes this incredible player..i feel bad for Hump.

I don't, :) I never had liked the play of hump, i'd rather seen anyone besides him

ramz.n
07-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't, :) I never had liked the play of hump, i'd rather seen anyone besides him

Hump is only 23 :|..surprising isnt it.. lol and i dont mind him because we got a steal in the Araujo trade =P

reevanson
07-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Hump is only 23 :|..surprising isnt it.. lol and i dont mind him because we got a steal in the Araujo trade =P

agreed, I dont think we could get his trade value back for him. The one thing I like about him is he leaves it all on the floor which is lacking in so many nba players. When he plays his roll (inside banger) he is great I just question some of his outside shot selection.

Bob_at_york
07-13-2008, 05:48 PM

Hump is only one year older than Jawai. They technically both have upside.

houstonrockets1
07-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Hey guys im happy for you guys that u got Nathan Jawai. I know most of u wont know who he is but i have played against him a few times and im telling you this guys is so strong he could handle shaq and other bigs in the NBA. The guy can also shoot the ball well so you guys are lucky and u got a real steal with him, he is a late first round talent that i reckon could be a solid player in the NBA especially since he will learn from two good big men. But he will be a banger for that team inside unlike Bosh and O'Neil who are more finese big men.

So congrats im looking forward to see him in a raptors uniform and you guys have done a good job so far with your team this summer and i can see u guys getting in the playoffs easily congrats.

Ragun
07-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Who would you compare him too? I would compare him to Zach Randolph with better athleticism. I dont know anything about Jawai's defence but I hope its good. They both can bang in the paint, finish around the basket, solid mid range shot but Jawai is raw right now. He has lots of potential though.

dirtybird
07-15-2008, 02:53 AM
Diop

Ragun
07-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Diop

He isnt really as big as him. Diop is a defensive presence. No offense at all.

reevanson
07-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Diop

agreed, but with a little more bulk

argo
07-15-2008, 01:16 PM
i'm a little weary of a guy who was great in the australian league, and has only been playing ball for 6 years.

but after seeing this guy in interviews and highlights, he seems to be a smart kid with good character and a strong nba body (so did joey graham, but that's another story).

i think much of his success will come down to how fast he learns team concepts (defensive rotations, passing out of the post) and adjusts to the speed and athleticism in the nba, his ability to dominate the boards, and whether or not he has a post-up game.

pebloemer
07-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey guys im happy for you guys that u got Nathan Jawai. I know most of u wont know who he is but i have played against him a few times and im telling you this guys is so strong he could handle shaq and other bigs in the NBA. The guy can also shoot the ball well so you guys are lucky and u got a real steal with him, he is a late first round talent that i reckon could be a solid player in the NBA especially since he will learn from two good big men. But he will be a banger for that team inside unlike Bosh and O'Neil who are more finese big men.

So congrats im looking forward to see him in a raptors uniform and you guys have done a good job so far with your team this summer and i can see u guys getting in the playoffs easily congrats.

Thanks! As for your Houston team, I wish you a healthy season finally :).

carruthers32
07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
He would probably learn a hell of alot more practising against Chris Bosh, Jermaine O'Neal and Andrea Bargnani everyday. Rather than going back to Australia and dominating a bunch of nobodys!

blujaysrock
07-16-2008, 02:45 PM
is he going back?

bartlett2266
07-16-2008, 02:54 PM
He signed a contract why would he go back

nstojic
07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
yah, what's the point of this thread? he's not going anywhere.. he's under contract and he'll only go back if the raps want him to... worst case scenario, he goes to the D league and develops there...

B2B
07-16-2008, 03:04 PM
With us being where we r due to luxury tax his small contract is needed to help fill out our roster whether he plays or not.

ink
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
He would probably learn a hell of alot more practising against Chris Bosh, Jermaine O'Neal and Andrea Bargnani everyday. Rather than going back to Australia and dominating a bunch of nobodys!

I'm merging this with the Jawai thread that already exists. People, please don't start new threads when an idea pops into your head about a subject. Start a thread when you work out an idea that merits its own thread. There isn't even any talk of Jawai going back to Australia anyway. He just got drafted and signed to a contract by an NBA team that wants him to develop with the team.

If anyone has any news about Jawai, post it here.

carruthers32
07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm merging this with the Jawai thread that already exists. People, please don't start new threads when an idea pops into your head about a subject. Start a thread when you work out an idea that merits its own thread. There isn't even any talk of Jawai going back to Australia anyway. He just got drafted and signed to a contract by an NBA team that wants him to develop with the team.

If anyone has any news about Jawai, post it here.

there were of him going to europe.