PDA

View Full Version : Elton Shouldn't be Branded a Bad Guy

LogansMichael
07-10-2008, 04:13 PM
When you first heard that Elton Brand was going to leave Los Angeles for Phily, I'm sure you thought it was an act of betrayal. But when you think about this more and more, you can't blame Brand for relocating to the East.

People who are upset with Brand are saying that the East still possess great teams like Boston and Detroit. However, the likelihood that the Sixers will make the playoffs are a heckuva lot better than the Clips. They were in the playoffs last year, and now with Brand in the mix, should have a good chance at hosting a first round playoff series.

Back West, teams like Portland, who didnt even make the postseason last year, will be noticebaly better, so where does that leave the Clippers? In the lottery more than likely.

All Brand wants to do is give himself the best chance of winning, and I think he did that by signing with Phily.

07-10-2008, 04:20 PM
He shouldn't have recruited Davis to the Clipps and promised Dunleavy he would stay if they got Davis.

Chronz
07-10-2008, 04:21 PM
He had his sights set on leaving from day 1, hes not a bad guy for wanting to leave. Hes a bad guy for the way he left, and because Falk used him like a tool. **** Im 70% sure he wanted to leave for Miami all those years back.

Hes not a bad guy, but hes definitely not the girl scout we all thought he was. Take less to improve the team yea right, ultimatum? Dont think so, the Clippers were bargaining with him until his agent cut the communication lines because of his hatred for the Clippers. He was ticked off at the fact the Clippers were negotiating with Brand without him.

Let me put this in perspective for all Philly fans, Brand got told the Sixers to trade away those players for extra cap. Now how would you guys have felt if you guys just traded away a few players only for Elton to "change his mind" and sign with someone else. How would you have felt, now replace those players with guys like Maggette, Ross, Smush (No JK on that one). Thats what Brand did to us.

What if the Twolves wouldve rejected the offer and couldnt offer Elton any more money, would EB have signed with the Clippers then? Would he have gone to GSW? Money played a much bigger role than Elton wants to lead on.

Cracka2HI!
07-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Only Clipper fans and Baron Davis should really consider him a bad guy. No one else will really care what he did to the Clippers. I'll tell you what tho the guy in the interviews now is different from the Brand we had here for 7 years.

arlubas
07-10-2008, 04:27 PM
God I'm sooo tired of saying this over and over again: We don't hate on Brand for wanting to leave, we hate him for leaving the way he did and manipulating our team in the process. Ever think why we don't badmouth Maggette? Yeah, cause he wanted to leave from Day1 but at least he was being honest about it. Elton on the other hand behaved like a complete unproffessional.

richardle9
07-10-2008, 04:29 PM
would clips fans boo him when the 76ers play the clips in LA?

Chronz
07-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Seriously, thats not Brand. He did turn heel and he has every right to feel like Hulk Hogan when he became "Hollywood"

Chronz
07-10-2008, 04:30 PM

Thats a hard one, I would hate for 1 month to ruin 7+ years of service.

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 04:34 PM
i hate it, but i would boo.

SwaggaIke
07-10-2008, 04:43 PM
They should have let him come to Miami years ago. When you have to match a players contract, that should be telling you something. You can't grow to love the Clippers no matter how long you play for them. No offense to the Clippers fans, but the squad is cursed. I can't blame Brand for wanting to leave...twice.

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
They should have let him come to Miami years ago. When you have to match a players contract, that should be telling you something. You can't grow to love the Clippers no matter how long you play for them. No offense to the Clippers fans, but the squad is cursed. I can't blame Brand for wanting to leave...twice.

you dont make sense. when you have to matrch a players contract, that is a good sign. it shows he is wanted. why would the clips let him go?

TheBatchelor213
07-10-2008, 04:55 PM
He is a liar and mislead us. If he would have been up front it would have been different.

Ragun
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Clippers would be the best team in the west if Brand stayed. Starting line up of:

Davis, Mobley, Thornton, Brand and Kaman and they still have Eric Gordon. That team is just dominant. They have defense and offense.

KmB728
07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
i wouldnt go that far to say they would be the best.... but they would be contenders

SwaggaIke
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
you dont make sense. when you have to matrch a players contract, that is a good sign. it shows he is wanted. why would the clips let him go?

It shows that YOUR franchise wanted him, but he wanted to go somewhere else. He's repeatedly said how much he wanted to play in Miami. And that he would have taken a pay cut to play in Miami. Had Marion opted out, he would have signed w/ Miami. Don't get mad. I'm happy the Clippers matched, that helped bring us a championship. I'm forever grateful to the Clippers for matching that contract.

Cracka2HI!
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
It will probably be split, but the boo's will be much louder.

Seriously, thats not Brand. He did turn heel and he has every right to feel like Hulk Hogan when he became "Hollywood"

Yea he turned heel. "Hollywood" Brand.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
For god sakes, it was not the money.

Do you guys understand that he had an offer for 90m/5 years from GS, and the 76ers game him 79.8m/5 years?

10.2 million dollar difference, so it's DEFINITALLY NOT about the money!

Brand wants to be put in the best position possible.

With the 76ers having Igoudala/Young/Williams for most likely 5 years, this team can only get better.

He wanted to go to the East coast, he has family there, that is probably what put him over the top.

Booing Brand because of this move is just stupid, he was the Clippers for the 7 years that he was with the franchise.

Without no Brand, there was no Clippers. They wouldn't have made the playoffs that year with that great run, and they wouldn't have been competing the way they did.

Ok, i'm done ranting, because there is no more point, but enough saying it's for the money. If it was for the money, he would have went to GSW and just played there.

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
It shows that YOUR franchise wanted him, but he wanted to go somewhere else. He's repeatedly said how much he wanted to play in Miami. And that he would have taken a pay cut to play in Miami. Had Marion opted out, he would have signed w/ Miami. Don't get mad. I'm happy the Clippers matched, that helped bring us a championship. I'm forever grateful to the Clippers for matching that contract.

wrong again, if he wanted to play there so bad, he would have told the front office to not match it.

he would have take a pay cut huh? just like he said he would take a pay cut to be a clipper the rest of his career?

eagles520
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Clippers would be the best team in the west if Brand stayed. Starting line up of:

Davis, Mobley, Thornton, Brand and Kaman and they still have Eric Gordon. That team is just dominant. They have defense and offense.

Now thats just idiotic. They still may not have made the playoffs the west will be that good next year. personally i'd take a lineup of derek fisher kobe odom gasol and bynum hands down. and thats just one team. they would not have been the best team.

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
For god sakes, it was not the money.

Do you guys understand that he had an offer for 90m/5 years from GS, and the 76ers game him 79.8m/5 years?

10.2 million dollar difference, so it's DEFINITALLY NOT about the money!

Brand wants to be put in the best position possible.

With the 76ers having Igoudala/Young/Williams for most likely 5 years, this team can only get better.

He wanted to go to the East coast, he has family there, that is probably what put him over the top.

Booing Brand because of this move is just stupid, he was the Clippers for the 7 years that he was with the franchise.

Without no Brand, there was no Clippers. They wouldn't have made the playoffs that year with that great run, and they wouldn't have been competing the way they did.

Ok, i'm done ranting, because there is no more point, but enough saying it's for the money. If it was for the money, he would have went to GSW and just played there.

for god sakes... ha

anyway, it was reported that what the offer was, you dont know that that offer even existed.

did i just see a without no brand?

i say eltons wife punked him up and thats why he is in phili

eagles520
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
for god sakes... ha

anyway, it was reported that what the offer was, you dont know that that offer even existed.

elton himself said that he had a bigger offer from the warriors

Ph1lly Diehard
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
for god sakes... ha

It did exist.

In Eltons press conference in Philly yesterday he said he had a better offer on the table from GS and he decided he wanted to come to Philly.

90m/5 years was the offer

eagles520
07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
It did exist.

In Eltons press conference in Philly yesterday he said he had a better offer on the table from GS and he decided he wanted to come to Philly.

90m/5 years was the offer

exactly. clippers fans just cant get over the fact that brand wanted to go to a better organization and a better city for sports.

SwaggaIke
07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
wrong again, if he wanted to play there so bad, he would have told the front office to not match it.

he would have take a pay cut huh? just like he said he would take a pay cut to be a clipper the rest of his career?

Lets have a heart to heart here. If you weren't a Clipper fan. Unbiased and objectively speaking and you were an NBA player. Would YOU take a pay cut to play for the Clippers?

NJrockPD
07-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Terrible Pun

_Sn1P3r_
07-10-2008, 05:31 PM

I agree. That would've been a good team once they had learned to play together.

Allabouthephils
07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
This is business.... Promises mean nothing... If you promise your employer you'll stay with him to drive up an offer from another job just so you can come back and say well I got a better offer from company "B" your playing the game and doing it well...

Brand has nothing to be sorry for...

No one in this forum and 99.99999 % of the universe can understand the decision that Elton made... All we can do is figure he made the right decision for the million and a half other reasons he did besides basketball...

He isn't shady and he doesn't "owe" the Clippers anything... If they wanted him they should have payed him... This isn't candyland... This is business..

Allabouthephils
07-10-2008, 05:34 PM
elton himself said that he had a bigger offer from the warriors

Money isn't the only factor... Marketing, team chemistry, eastern conference, chance at a ring, coach, sponsorships, city, endorsements, economy in general....

Like I said in my previous post... They're a million other reasons he chose Philly instead of Golden State and the Clips... In fact, Golden State was probably just a pawn to drive up the offer from the Clips.....

richardle9
07-10-2008, 05:43 PM
oh he is on PTI right now

SeoulBeatz
07-10-2008, 05:53 PM
he made a verbal agreement.

but felt disrespected by the teams execs,

his wife and whole family are from the eastcoast.

philly is a better situation.

so he left and went for greener pastures.

sure he broke his verbal agreement.

take it as u will, but what happened happened, and its all in the past.

Cracka2HI!
07-10-2008, 05:55 PM
oh he is on PTI right now
He's a different guy. He has never been angry like this. He may feel his character is unfairly being questioned, but something is changed about him. He is a new man.

BriereIsDaBest
07-10-2008, 06:00 PM
He shouldn't have recruited Davis to the Clipps and promised Dunleavy he would stay if they got Davis.

When did he ever recruit Davis? When did he ever make a promise that he was staying? Baron Davis went to LA, because they offered him a lot of money, and it's his hometown. Elton Brand "supposedly" told LA that he was leaning toward staying, he never "promised". Get off his ***.

richardle9
07-10-2008, 06:28 PM
on PTI he said he never told the clippers if baron were to come he would stay but he could me lying to make him look better

brandonwarne52
07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Shouldn't be BRANDed a bad guy.

I see what you did there. Clever.

Raptors27
07-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Brand was on PTI earlier and they were talking and he said that he had never said if Baron comes that he would stay. he was just doing what was best for him and his career. He also talked to Baron and Baraon said he had no hard feelings towards Brand. I still respect Brand and think hes a great player.

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 07:59 PM
When did he ever recruit Davis? When did he ever make a promise that he was staying? Baron Davis went to LA, because they offered him a lot of money, and it's his hometown. Elton Brand "supposedly" told LA that he was leaning toward staying, he never "promised". Get off his ***.

dunleavy said he agreed verbally to dunleavy, there is a contract that faulk went over. someone on the clips has a text that says its you me and bd.....

all came from dunleavy. you should really hear the interview on am 710

dunleavy was pissed bc of what brand did.

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 08:00 PM
brand can lie all he wants, but there is evidence out there to prove what he is saying is a lie.

07-10-2008, 08:08 PM

Brand was recruiting Davis:

""There was no underground handshake between Baron Davis and myself, that's totally not true," Brand said.

Right. It was handshake between Brand and Dunleavy, the coach quietly brokering the return of a player he trusted.

Brand didn't actually shake Davis' hand, no, but he reportedly filled up his cellphone, calling and texting and recruiting.

Brand told Dunleavy that if Davis came, he would stay."

source: LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke10-2008jul10,0,5741780.column?page=2

I see that the truth is inconvenient to you too

Cadarn
07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
For the last week everyone in the nba was saying Brand's honest stand up reputation meant he would never do exactly what he wound up doing.

All these philly 'fans' are seriously overrating brand's impact. Brand is not a number one guy.

LakerfaninKY
07-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Honestly, not trying to hate here, but it seems like this is just another case of the Clippers being the Clippers. Just when they could have made the right moves to put a decent team on the court, the owner shows his true colors and gets cheap and stubborn.....again. Sterling does not care about winning and never will. He manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory time and time again. If he truly cared he would have replaced Elgin Baylor with a real GM long ago. I understand why Dunleavy is so frustrated. Don't put this on Brand, put it where it belongs - on Sterling. My sympathies Clipper fans.

BigEric
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
That's a pretty clever name.

Juggynuts
07-10-2008, 09:45 PM
For the last week everyone in the nba was saying Brand's honest stand up reputation meant he would never do exactly what he wound up doing.

All these philly 'fans' are seriously overrating brand's impact. Brand is not a number one guy.

Do you really believe that? I don't think any Philly fan is overrating Brands impact, would you rather see Brand on the court for your team or Reggie Evans?. The Sixers needed a true PF and they got one.

kobynum2417
07-10-2008, 09:51 PM
they have a chance at 2nd round

NBAkYD
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Depending on growth we could make the Conference Finals.

homestarunner93
07-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I hope Brand gets hurt in his first year just for being such a creep and backing out with the Clippers. The Philly fans can defend him all they want, but that was a colossal **** move.

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I hope Brand gets hurt in his first year just for being such a creep and backing out with the Clippers. The Philly fans can defend him all they want, but that was a colossal **** move.

nice. i agree

Chronz
07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
He helped recruit Baron. He said he would be willing to take a paycut if they paired him with a superstar similar to how Pierce was treated in Boston. He changed his mind, thats cool but dont act like it never happened.

arlubas
07-11-2008, 03:18 AM
He helped recruit Baron. He said he would be willing to take a paycut if they paired him with a superstar similar to how Pierce was treated in Boston. He changed his mind, thats cool but dont act like it never happened.

Or further more, don't act like this was someone else's fault and not the product of your own decisions. How about taking responsibilities for your own actions?