PDA

View Full Version : Source: Lakers Offer Odom For Artest

phlp_bj
07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
According to a league source, the Lakers have contacted the Kings regarding Ron Artest and are believed to be offering forward Lamar Odom.

Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie declined comment on whether the Lakers had called.

"Right now, (Artest is) just a terrific player to have on your roster," Petrie said. "I don't really have any speculation one way or another (about his future). We'll see what other things not specific to Ron but if there's some other way we can improve the team or change the team, we'll take a look at it."

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1072665.html

JordansBulls
07-10-2008, 11:45 AM
It doesn't mean the Kings will do it. Why would they help the Lakers?

As of Tuesday evening, the Kings had not returned the call.

Artest makes about half of what Odom makes as well.

The Melky Way
07-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Would be a great move for the Lakers because Artest is a great defender and with him and Gasol on the floor, with an improving Bynum, they are looking like the favorite to win the West.

Odom is a great player, but I don't understand why the Kings would want him, they need to go younger and swapping these two players isn't really an upgrade. They need to trade Artest for a package of talent that will develop around Kevin Martin, like the Knicks for David Lee.

lakers4sho
07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Would be a great move for the Lakers because Artest is a great defender and with him and Gasol on the floor, with an improving Bynum, they are looking like the favorite to win the West.

Odom is a great player, but I don't understand why the Kings would want him, they need to go younger and swapping these two players isn't really an upgrade. They need to trade Artest for a package of talent that will develop around Kevin Martin, like the Knicks for David Lee.

They already said that Artest is not part of their future plans, which means that they're gonna trade him. I think Odom's expiring contract is what entices them. And getting rid of Kenny Thomas' huge contract.

Artest + Thomas for Odom.

TMAC94
07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
why would the kings do this?

JordansBulls
07-10-2008, 11:51 AM
They already said that Artest is not part of their future plans, which means that they're gonna trade him. I think Odom's expiring contract is what entices them. And getting rid of Kenny Thomas' huge contract.

Artest + Thomas for Odom.

That's ridiculous. Artest is better than Odom and you expect the Kings to give up two players for a guy whose contract is about to expire?

If anything the Kings would trade Artest for someone like Marion in Miami.

lakers4sho
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Or maybe they like Odom's game, who knows? :shrug:

Dirty Dirk41
07-10-2008, 11:55 AM
yeah..wtf is up with people giving talent to the lakers for nothing......Odom isnt terrible...But Ron Artest imo is the better player. Kings need to rebuild but dont just give the best team in your conf your best player

Iodine
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
If the kings do this then wow

Ph1lly Diehard
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Artest is so much better then Odom..

Good move by the Lakers if they pull this off, and for the Kings, well, another reason why they havn't been competing these last few years

LAKERS/VIKES
07-10-2008, 12:02 PM
why would the kings do this?

maybe ron artest isn't happy with the kings and there trying to get rid of him

Vidball
07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
That's ridiculous. Artest is better than Odom and you expect the Kings to give up two players for a guy whose contract is about to expire?

1. The Kings aren't committed to Artest at all--they tried to trade him all of last offseason, but the pricetag was too low for the Kings to accept any offers. Artest isn't committed to the Kings and the Kings aren't committed to Artest.

2. Thomas doesn't even play...he is getting paid $18M over the next 2 seasons to sit on the bench. The Lakers don't want him at that price, but the Kings would require the Lakers to take him. Grabbing Thomas at 2yr/$18M is hardly a perk.

3. Kings would be major players in free agency next offseason with Thomas' contract gone and Odom's $14M coming off the books.

Having said all that, I'm not sure this rumor is even true. The Lakers are "believed" to be offering Odom for Artest? What does that even mean? Sounds like pure speculation...I hope its true though.

Lettuce137
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Its Pau Gasol for Kwame all over again, although not to that extreme.

BleedPurple
07-10-2008, 12:11 PM
If the Kings do this trade it will be because of Lamars expiring contract and to be rid of K Thomas contract. Just like Memphis last year when they traded us Gasol they got rid of his heavy contract and Kwame's too this off-season.Now the Kings love their young guys and are willing to give them another year to adapt and grow, its not like they feel that they are legit contenders. So to be rid of two hefty contracts and be a top team money-wise next year for the INSANE FAs that will be available, the KIngs know exactly what their doing here, and it has nothing to do with "Helping The Lakers".

SDBearsFan
07-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Yeah I don't see the Kings just throwing the Lakers Artest to make them better. Plus, Lamar Odom sucks.

DenButsu
07-10-2008, 12:22 PM
The Kings were reportedly ready to pull the trigger on Linas Kleiza and Eduardo Najera for Artest before the deadline - until the Nuggets backed out. Obviously the player of interest to them there was Kleiza, as he's young, improving, and could have been part of their future building process (either on their roster or as a trade piece). Najera, I assume, they would have let walk without trying to re-sign.

Or in other words, it would appear that Sacramento would primarily be seeking one or two young, talented, up-and-coming, and *affordable* (= not $13 million) players (with perhaps a pick or two thrown in for good measure) if they trade Artest.

I'll be really surprised if they trade him for Odom.

Knowledge
07-10-2008, 12:25 PM
they want cap space for 2010. that is the only thing i can think of.

lakersrock
07-10-2008, 12:31 PM
The Kings were reportedly ready to pull the trigger on Linas Kleiza and Eduardo Najera for Artest before the deadline - until the Nuggets backed out. Obviously the player of interest to them there was Kleiza, as he's young, improving, and could have been part of their future building process (either on their roster or as a trade piece). Najera, I assume, they would have let walk without trying to re-sign.

Or in other words, it would appear that Sacramento would primarily be seeking one or two young, talented, up-and-coming, and *affordable* (= not $13 million) players (with perhaps a pick or two thrown in for good measure) if they trade Artest.

I'll be really surprised if they trade him for Odom.

They want cap room to help get young FA such as Deng if it works out where he's UFA next season. If you dump 14M in one year, that's a lot of money you're gonna have for those FA. It seems like a bad deal, but really, it's the best thing the Kings could hope for. They can't keep him, they get to dump Thomas and they get a very versatile player for a year. There's no reason for them not to do it with the lack of quality offers they've received for him over the past couple of years.

sixers247
07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Kings should trade him to the suns for Barbosa, Diaw and a future first

Beno7500
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Artest is a black hole on offense. He tottaly kills the offensive flow

DenButsu
07-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Why are you guys talking about this deal as if you're assuming the Kings want to do it when the article specifically stated that Geoff Petrie had not indicated one way or the other?

Vidball
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
^^It also states that the beat-writer is guessing that the Lakers are offering Odom...who knows if anything like that's even being discussed

AllTheWay
07-10-2008, 01:09 PM
The whole point is that they Like Odom's versatility and 14 mil expiring. It also gets rid of kennys bad contract and artests character. If odom and Kmart end up being a good duo, then you reup odom. If not, they have cap space earlier than expected.

BigEric
07-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Kings fans would do this in a heartbeat, and other fans don't see why we would do it.

Artest and Kobe will not co-exist, because Artest is a brickhead, he ruins offenses.

DenButsu
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM
they want cap space for 2010.

They want cap room to help get young FA such as Deng

The whole point is that they Like Odom's versatility and 14 mil expiring.

Will somebody please show me one link to a legit news source that will back up this assertion that the Kings have any interest in Odom or his expiring whatsoever?

Please?

Iodine
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Will somebody please show me one link to a legit news source that will back up this assertion that the Kings have any interest in Odom or his expiring whatsoever?

Please?

Link (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)

lakers4sho
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
post deleted

hyp21
07-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah I don't see the Kings just throwing the Lakers Artest to make them better. Plus, Lamar Odom sucks.

Be that as it may, stranger things have and WILL happen. The Kings KNOW that they don't have much going on and I'm sure they want to get younger and younger right now. If the Lakers are gonna get the deal done though, I'm sure they're gonna have to either pony up some draft picks, or sign and trade Turiaf maybe to sweeten the deal (perfer the deal Puke Walton, but I don't think that'll fly). Artest and Bynum would be a hella dangerous combo. QUESTION is, where do we put Gasol at? Does Artest move to the 3? Is his game powerful enough at the 3? That'd be a big azz lineup with Kobe, Artest, Gasol, and Bynum. Nice Defensive lineup. I'm thinking Artest would be more of a 4 playing at the 3 cause Gasol's D isn't too great.

PHX-SOXFAN
07-10-2008, 01:25 PM
The whole point is that they Like Odom's versatility and 14 mil expiring. It also gets rid of kennys bad contract and artests character. If odom and Kmart end up being a good duo, then you reup odom. If not, they have cap space earlier than expected.

i see the rationale from the kings side as well. this deal makes sense for them. I'm not so sure I like it from the lakers side. artest is great as perimeter defender, but not great on offense and has a huge attitude problem everywhere so far. he could be fire and gas with kobe

Illuminati
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I hate this trade so much. I don't like ron artest and I find him to be overrated. This will blow up in our faces if this goes down.

Jeremy5150
07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
It shows how much the Lakers think of Odom...LOL - Trading to a rival. This is a bad trade for the Kings.

Dirty Dirk41
07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Kings should be able to get more for Artest than just odom straight up. hell good ,ove if the lakers can do this. if i was the kings id make artest play the whole year

GRIMLOCK
07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Artest will only come to LA if Odom is being part of the trade or being traded. Not going to happen.

lakers4sho
07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Kings should be able to get more for Artest than just odom straight up. hell good ,ove if the lakers can do this. if i was the kings id make artest play the whole year

He only has 1 more year with the Kings. If the Kings don't trade him he'll walk away from them next summer with nothing in return. They are bound to trade Artest, the question is, to who?

LAKERS/VIKES
07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
why is everybody hating on this trade????? oh i know why because you guys are going to be afraid of the lakers next year and lamar odom doesnt suck he has tremendous value he's 6'10 and handles the ball like a pg but he just inconsistent if he was more consistent i would like this trade

fhatmanz
07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Look at what Elton Brand Just did.... Now wouldn't of it been better for the Clippers to have traded him. if u can value for a player now... than DO IT!... Artest is not going to resign with the Kings.. I would ship him ASAP...

Plus Lamar is not a bad player.. he just doesn't fit well with the Lakers IMO... Lakers need a SF who can hit the 3.... With Gasol and Bynum Upfront... Lamar becomes the odd man out.... He is a starter on any team in this league...

lakers4sho
07-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Look at what Elton Brand Just did.... Now wouldn't of it been better for the Clippers to have traded him. if u can value for a player now... than DO IT!... Artest is not going to resign with the Kings.. I would ship him ASAP...

Plus Lamar is not a bad player.. he just doesn't fit well with the Lakers IMO... Lakers need a SF who can hit the 3.... With Gasol and Bynum Upfront... Lamar becomes the odd man out.... He is a starter on any team in this league...

He can easily be the 2nd best player on most teams.

SouljahPhil...
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
here's another deal sweetener for both parties...
instead of just artest and Kenny for LO...

Why dont they do a trade like this..
SAR.,artest and miller
for
Odom.,mihm.,ariza and coby carl...(all expiring contracts)

I think it benefits both teams...Big expiring for the kings..
You can also make ariza back up salmons..resign him if u like..
Also in our place we get a backup C and PF...Eventhough we will be paying lots of luxury tax...But our bench will be solid...

BTownTeamsRKing
07-10-2008, 03:35 PM
who would ever trade anything for odom after watching him in the finals?

i know the lakers are used to getting players for nothing, but it isnt happenen this time

NBAkYD
07-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Crap deal for a variety of reasons on both sides.

Vidball
07-10-2008, 04:03 PM
^^Actually almost all the Kings fans are in favor of this on their forum...for those of you who haven't followed Artest this past season, he pretty much has no trade value. He also has let it be known that he doesn't want to be in Sacto and everybody knows what an unhappy Artest can do. Also, to be able to ditch a nasty contract like the one Thomas has is a great perk as well. Best of all for them, Odom has a one year tryout. If they like him, great. If not, thats $14M off the books with '09 being a very good year to have cap room and '10 being even better if they can't find what they want in '09. Artest will be dealt and the Kings won't get any more value than L.O. for him.

18colts29
07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
yeah..wtf is up with people giving talent to the lakers for nothing......Odom isnt terrible...But Ron Artest imo is the better player. Kings need to rebuild but dont just give the best team in your conf your best player

The Kings got Artest for nothing from the Pacers.

Kings Faithful
07-10-2008, 04:07 PM
The only reason Kings fans would accept this deal is to get rid of KT's contract. Odom can play and help us win games next year, but if he doesn't work out, its as easy as not signing him next year and picking up another player in the FA because we don't have Kenny's contract to hold us down.

Lakerfrk
07-10-2008, 04:12 PM
The Kings got Artest for nothing from the Pacers.

The Kings got Artest for Peja Stojakovic......

Kings Faithful
07-10-2008, 04:13 PM
^^Actually almost all the Kings fans are in favor of this on their forum...for those of you who haven't followed Artest this past season, he pretty much has no trade value. He also has let it be known that he doesn't want to be in Sacto and everybody knows what an unhappy Artest can do. Also, to be able to ditch a nasty contract like the one Thomas has is a great perk as well. Best of all for them, Odom has a one year tryout. If they like him, great. If not, thats $14M off the books with '09 being a very good year to have cap room and '10 being even better if they can't find what they want in '09. Artest will be dealt and the Kings won't get any more value than L.O. for him.

Artest has ALOT of trade value or we wouldn't even be discussing this trade with the Lakers.... Artest presence could send 2 or 3 different teams to the finals next year and teams are willing to give up alot for that. And yes, we probably will receive a trade that gives us better value than Odom, but the main lure to this one is KT's crap contract being off of our hands. There are several other teams that have called the Kings GM and its just a matter of time before we see a deal to sweet to pass up.

18colts29
07-10-2008, 04:23 PM
The Kings got Artest for Peja Stojakovic......

Thats worse than Lamar Odom for Ron Artest. The Pacers should have got Brad Miller, Peja, and a 1st for Artest.

kntresistheheat
07-10-2008, 04:36 PM
1st) Why would you want a player (artest) that has said he does not see himself playing in sacramento after this season!

2nd) It makes sense to this now because if he does not want to be there and does not put his full effort by the trading deadline and if lets say Odom get hurt by that time when would you do the trade? (Lakers are the seems to be the only team that is intrested except newyork, but do want anyone from that circus?)

3rd) Its odom's expiring contract that there intrested in and odom is a double double every night, and can have an impact with that team as a rental for one year and add value to use as trade bait?

Vidball
07-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Artest has ALOT of trade value
And yes, we probably will receive a trade that gives us better value than Odom

Really...what teams are lining up to make huge offers for Artest? What is on the table that's better than Odom right now? Denver wouldn't even trade Kleiza for him...Kleiza is a good young talent, but nothing like what Sac would be able to go after next summer with $14M coming off the books. Artest has been on the market for a long time now--what great offers have been passed up since the beginning of last season? NONE!

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
still doesn't make odom for him a good trade. that guy is a bum.

he fades away unless he is the third option on the team.

he had the chance to be great, but will never be. he sucks

dre1990
07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
this is going to happen. they are almost done

bleedprple&gold
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM

??? you have a link?

PHX-SOXFAN
07-10-2008, 05:02 PM

where do you get this information

PHX-SOXFAN
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM

where do you get this information

ridere46
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
that would be scary if artest went to the lakers. hope the kings send him elsewhere.

Jay22Redd
07-10-2008, 05:09 PM
: (

Vidball
07-10-2008, 05:21 PM
??? link ???

BirmBaron#45
07-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Sacramento has those special fans, like Utah, that buy season tickets and come to the games. Artest, IMO, doesn't fit well with their fans. Now Lamar on the other hand is a little easier to accept IMO.

_Sn1P3r_
07-10-2008, 05:33 PM
If Artest goes to LA, that would be a great addition.