PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Magic could sign Jason Williams as backup point guard

JordansBulls
07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Source: OrlandoSentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-bk-jason-williams-070908,0,1705310.story)

NBA veteran Jason Williams, the former Florida Gator who helped the Miami Heat win a championship in 2006, wants to fill the Orlando Magic's role as a backup point guard to Jameer Nelson.

Williams, 32, has played for the Sacramento Kings, Memphis Grizzlie and Miami Heat. He became an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Magic already have spoken about the possibility with Williams' agent Dan Tobin.

They had tried earlier this month to sign point guard Chris Duhon to fill the spot, but he signed with the New York Knicks earlier today. They also are talking with a couple other veteran guards, including Keyon Dooling.

The Magic committed much of their mid-level salary cap exception to Mickael Pietrus, a shooting guard/small forward from Golden State who will replace Maurice Evans.

"We've talked with five or six teams and Orlando is one of them,'' Tobin said. "I think Jason would be a perfect fit with the Magic. He could still start for a number of teams, but he'd also be able to work well in tandem with another starter.''

Williams, who was unavailable for comment Wednesday, has made Orlando his offseason home since coming to the NBA in 1998 as the No. 7 pick in the draft.

His best game last season for Miami came against the Magic in Orlando when he had 34 points and seven assists.

arlubas
07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
If they do get J-Will they're easily the 3rd best East team and possibly contend with Detroit for the #2 spot. I'm really liking how Orlando has moved this offseason, not trying to get in all the big name FA mess but still making solid additions to their young and improving core of guys.

The Melky Way
07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Losing Dooling will hurt, but adding J-Will to be the back-up PG position is huge because he passes better and is less prone to turnovers than Nelson, so he will make a nice addition.

Plus, I have been saying the Magic need to address a big man because if Battie goes down we are screwed because Gortat isn't ready nor do I think he will ever live up to his potential. They either need to trade Reddick with a future pick and get a quality backup F/C or attempt to offer a 1-2 year deal to a guy like Kwame Brown (see if he can maybe piece it together here) because we no longer have Foyle and once again, got screwed by Fran Vazquez. Plus, Brian Cook is more of an unatheltic SF rather than a PF anyway.

JordansBulls
07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
If Jwill goes to Orlando, who will run Point in Miami?

The Melky Way
07-10-2008, 11:41 AM

Sexual White Chocolate Part Deux....Quinn

I really see Keyoon Dooling running the PG position for Miami next season because I don't think he will up root his family out of central florida because of their newborn daughter, unless he gets a drop dead amazing offer from a contending team in the West. Plus, he has played in Miami and would fit that system.

Magic #1 Fan
07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
This would be a huge upgrade. Williams skills and passing, plus taking over games when others a flat. BIG improvement. He showed that even with 2 sprained ankles against us last season. 34 points 7 assists he almost beat us himself. Also I'd sign him for at least 2-3 years. He is a proven winner. Kings-playoffs his 3 years, Grizzles, he averaged 17 points (playoffs) only time Memphis made it. Heat a Championship ring, and big contribution as a point guard. Career averages 11.6 points, 6.5 assists, 82% form the free throw line, and assists to turnover ratio was fantastic for 6 years. Always in the top 2-4 in the N.B.A. And if Nelson is struggling, start JWill. He makes players better around him.

Mile High Champ
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
The magic are still very weak inside aside from Howard. Lewis is a great player but by no means is he a PF, he plays out of position and that willl hurt them again come playoff time.

MiamiHeat
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM

we got banks, chalmers , quinn
but im thinkin pat riley will try to trade for one

*Superman*
07-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Jason Williams would be a decent pick up for the team. Then we can trade away JJ and/or Bogans for a decent pack up PF.

_Sn1P3r_
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM
J-Will will be a pretty good back-up for Jameer.

Dirty Dirk41
07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
The magic are still very weak inside aside from Howard. Lewis is a great player but by no means is he a PF, he plays out of position and that willl hurt them again come playoff time.

totally agree...they have have no banger other than howard...if they could get a pf that rebounds and plays tough def they will contend

SwaggaIke
07-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Jason Williams was never going to be resigned in Miami. He's run his course. I love him because he was our starting championship point, but I also hate him. He was always hurt and his game never fit the half court offense. I wish him well in Orlando though. That's where he's always wanted to be.

_Sn1P3r_
07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
totally agree...they have have no banger other than howard...if they could get a pf that rebounds and plays tough def they will contend

Would you guys ever open your mind to signing Kwame Brown? He wouldn't be there for offense but just to get boards and bang in the paint.

Dirty Dirk41
07-10-2008, 08:17 PM
im no fan of orlando. they aint my team but yes id sign brown. He clearly wou;dnt be there for offense because the magic have a ton of palyers who can score. But hes a solid defender and just needs to rebound the ball better. Id like the celts to pick em up for cheap an backup Perk.