PDA

View Full Version : So what's the latest with Delfino?

lapeapod
07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I've been trying to keep up with all the free agent signings (both unrestricted and restricted) and anyone have any inside scoop on Carlos Delfino? He does want to stay in the NBA (per his blog) and so far there has been interest in him from the Spurs, Cavaliers and Pistons.

Yesterday the Argentina team played in a warm-up game for the Olympics and Carlos sat out because of his contract situation. It's pretty obvious to me that Toronto has no plans for Delfino so why don't they just renounce his rights and let him be a free agent? They aren't going to match any offers so they should just move on and grab some cheap FA that falls through the cracks at the last minute (i.e. Matt Barnes).

Just looking at the Raptors on paper this doesn't seem like a team that's going to be a major contendor with such a weak bench. Hassan Adams was a second round pick for a reason and there just doesn't seem to be much offensive firepower on this team.

Kontent
07-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm curious about where he's going to play next year. I want him back.

Bob_at_york
07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I've been trying to keep up with all the free agent signings (both unrestricted and restricted) and anyone have any inside scoop on Carlos Delfino? He does want to stay in the NBA (per his blog) and so far there has been interest in him from the Spurs, Cavaliers and Pistons.

Yesterday the Argentina team played in a warm-up game for the Olympics and Carlos sat out because of his contract situation. It's pretty obvious to me that Toronto has no plans for Delfino so why don't they just renounce his rights and let him be a free agent? They aren't going to match any offers so they should just move on and grab some cheap FA that falls through the cracks at the last minute (i.e. Matt Barnes)..
I think I read somewhere that they are considering renouncing his rights but that isn't stopping teams from talking to him or signing him. Actually hanging on to his rights actually helps teams consider him. The problem is... he isn't a MLE guy. So teams looking for swingmen are going to look at the MLE guys first.

Just looking at the Raptors on paper this doesn't seem like a team that's going to be a major contendor with such a weak bench. Hassan Adams was a second round pick for a reason and there just doesn't seem to be much offensive firepower on this team.
If they sign Delfino will their bench suddenly look good to you? I wouldn't call the bench weaker but that is because I am unsure what guys like Ukic and Jawai can bring to the team. They are unknowns. But hey, BC came into this offseason trying to create a shorter rotation and he has done that with Ukic, Bargs and Moon/Kapono as the first guys off the bench.

Raptors27
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
i liked Delfino, even tho he was inconsistent at times he was a good all around player.

pebloemer
07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
i liked Delfino, even tho he was inconsistent at times he was a good all around player.

There were definately a lot of things that I appreciate about his game (willingness to foul hard, getting in for rebounds, hustling) but shot selection drove me nuts.

In regards to the first post, I think Delfino threw the offense off with his poor shot selection and inconsistency. No doubt he has offensive talent, but I don't think it was very influential for us in the long run, certain games yes (ie. win against Boston), other games it just crushes the flow.

Goon.Weezy
07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Personally I did not like Delfino for one reason...his shot selectionnnnn

B2theRY
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
the raps dont need that big of a bench that just gives mitchell more players to mess with..

Kapono, Bargnani, Urkic, Graham can sub in for the starters... JOEY better step up his game

pulzar
07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
In regards to the first post, I think Delfino threw the offense off with his poor shot selection and inconsistency.

That's certainly true, but I remember times where we couldn't buy a bucket and he would drive to the basket and get a foul or a layup and get us going again... Or even more times where we really needed a stop and he took a charge to get the ball for us.

If Jamario wasn't making minimum salary, I'd take Delfino over Moon any time.

In the end, Kapono needs more playing time to get him going, and Moon is too cheap to pass on, so Delfino doesn't fit in. It's too bad, I really liked the guy. He had some of that toughness that we're missing.

_Sn1P3r_
07-10-2008, 06:11 PM
the raps dont need that big of a bench that just gives mitchell more players to mess with..

Kapono, Bargnani, Urkic, Graham can sub in for the starters... JOEY better step up his game

Couldn't agree with you more.

ramz.n
07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
i think signing Delfino would improve this team and eliminate the need for a vet pg..on numerous times last year Delfino carried up the ball and has said he played a little back in Europe, hes also a player who is effective with the ball.
not listing roster..listing where Delfino could help improve this team

Calderon/Ukic/Delfino
Parker/Kapono/Delfino
Moon/Delfino/Adams/Graham
Bosh/Bargnani/Humphries
O'neal/Jawai