PDA

View Full Version : Mario Chalmers....Why Oh Why????

Where's KG?
07-10-2008, 10:31 AM
This opinion is not just based on the Summer League Games.

Studs: Mario Chalmers again looked great for the Heat; one Heat source commented that maybe they have found their point guard of the future. 5 of 10 shooting with 9 assists and three steals is not a bad day at the office.

Chalmers added a third consecutive impressive game to his week of work at the Orlando Pro Summer League, leading the Heat with 23 points and six assists in a 95-84 loss to Indiana.
Playing through an off shooting night, seven turnovers and foul problems, Chalmers made up for his struggles by attacking the basket and converting all 17 of his free-throw attempts.

They Mayo trade caught me off guard, but after thinkin it over I think that was a good deal. I'm a big Mike Miller fan and Love is a very smart player. What really got me and still gets me is why we traded Chalmers. 3 years at KU under Bill Self, big game experience, Excellent defender, good passer, and great free throw shooter. And we NEEDED a PG!!!!!!

I believe that when looking back at the 2008 NBA draft years from now....Chalmers will be the one that got away, not Mayo....

ndangguy
07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I completely agree with you. I thought the whole second round was a bust. Chalmers is going to be a solid player in this league. As much as I liked the Mayo/Love trade Mchale was back to his old self in round 2.

tc_guy
07-10-2008, 12:27 PM
there are a couple of reasons why chalmers was traded....the first one is that he is not a true point guard, he is a combo guard....that is why he fell into the second round....and with foye and mayo on the roster at the time it just did not make sense to have another combo guard....the second reason is that chalmers was traded before the mayo trade....if the mayo trade happened before then yeah chalmers would be on the wolves summer league team instead of the heat

IowaAJ
07-10-2008, 02:04 PM
The reason he was traded was because they didn't know they were going to trade Mayo and all those players for Love.

Where's KG?
07-10-2008, 02:44 PM
For those that are insinuating that Kevin McHale did not know he was going to trade Mayo for Love, i will have to disagree. Love was McHales dream in this draft but he knew he couldn't draft him 3rd. So he took Mayo and got us another good player in the deal.

WSU Tony
07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
McHale would have done almost anything to get Love. I'm surprised, actually, that we didn't get totally riped on a deal because everyone knew the only guy he wanted was Love. He didn't play his cards right, that's for sure.

tc_guy
07-10-2008, 04:57 PM
there is no doubt that mchale was in love with kevin love, and there were talks between the two teams before the draft....but the thing was that the wolves wanted mike miller in the deal and the grizzlies weren't willing to do that....it was only during the second round of the draft that the grizzlies brought up the deal again and finally included miller that the wolves pulled the trigger, after they had already traded mario chalmers

Mauersota
07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
After seeing that McHale got 2 million for a second round pick AND two 2nd round picks I thought it wasn't a bad deal at all. I mean the Hornets pick was bought for I believe 2.8 million. I really believe Chalmers will be a solid-good player but he won't be great. I was happy with the pick considering it was a 2nd rounder but the trade isn't bad either.

brandonwarne52
07-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Two words:

Summer. League.

JBoog35
07-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Two words:

Summer. League.

Haha, thank you.

brandonwarne52
07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
He probably doesn't even notice any difference from his days in Kansas. Seriously.

IowaAJ
07-10-2008, 06:49 PM
It wasn't till early in the 2nd round when the Grizzlies agreed to give us Miller. We would not of done a Mayo for Love straight up.

boeknows
07-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah and if we trade both those 2nd rounders and a first rounder next year to move up and get Ty Lawson will u guys still be *****ing?

Debater Mike
07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
First, we agreed to the trade prior to the #34th pick being on the clock.
Second, there is no evidence that we would have drafted Chalmers had we kept the pick.
Third, he fell for a reason. He was passed over thirty-three times.
Fourth, we received 2 future second rounders and cash. When one looks historically at second round picksthey have about a 30% chance of making a squad and less then 10% chance of becoming a rotation player, and 3% chance of becoming an above average player. And there is absolutely no evidence indicating that those picked 31-35 will be more likely to become rotation player then a second rounder picked 41-45, etc.

The Lizard King
07-11-2008, 04:13 AM
I'll wait and see what Chalmers does in the NBA before I'll label him as "the one who got away."

boeknows
07-11-2008, 04:22 AM
I do like Chamlers but i will take anyone of these next year in the draft over him.

AJ Price
Lestar Hudson
Ty Lawson
Darren Collison
Rodigue Braubois
Rubio

SwaggaIke
07-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Price just blew his knee out, AGAIN. Hudson is a ball hog w/ a 2 guards mentality who couldn't even get it done at the Orlando PDC. Lawson is better but he's a head case. Collison is about equal. Lawson and Rubio are the only guys on that list who will be better than Chalmers, realistically.

The Lizard King
07-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Price just blew his knee out, AGAIN. Hudson is a ball hog w/ a 2 guards mentality who couldn't even get it done at the Orlando PDC. Lawson is better but he's a head case. Collison is about equal. Lawson and Rubio are the only guys on that list who will be better than Chalmers, realistically.

Well if we're speaking realistically, you don't KNOW how good ANY of them will be.

SwaggaIke
07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Well if we're speaking realistically, you don't KNOW how good ANY of them will be.

You're right. But none of those guys are that great now and they're not really high upside guys. Next years draft is slated to be the worst since 2000. I wouldn't expect any franchise altering picks. Although McHale better be doing his homework, he has a million picks in it. Great year for that...

brandonwarne52
07-11-2008, 03:21 PM
How about Stephen Curry?

tcman2007
07-11-2008, 11:53 PM
McHale would have done almost anything to get Love. I'm surprised, actually, that we didn't get totally riped on a deal because everyone knew the only guy he wanted was Love. He didn't play his cards right, that's for sure.

What gets lost in this discussion is the coin toss that gave us the edge over Memphis in the Draft Lottery. If we would have lost the coin toss, would that have meant that we would've drafted 5 and Memphis 3? That would've sucked. We would be sitting here with Love, Jaric and no Mike Miller. We got lucky. This was one of the times that the Basketball Gods smiled down upon us.

And I don't know about all of this McHale "being in love with Love" stuff. A lot of teams liked Love. He did have the sense to draft OJ. He had to. I doubt that the T'Wolves brass would send Fred Hoiberg out to announce that we were drafting OJ to "keep him" when McHale was sure that he'd have Love no matter what. McHale just got into one of those situations where you can have your cake and eat it too. He liked Love and he got to get another complimentary player and subtract a couple of negative ones.

boeknows
07-12-2008, 12:18 AM

I haven't heard anything about Lawson being a headcase. Collison imo is a lot better than Chalmers because he is more of a point guard than chalmers. I would take the bottom 4 guys in that list of Chalmers easily. Didnt realize Price blew out his knee again. Knew he did it last year for the second time. So does that mean he did it for the third time or are u talkiing about last years time he did it. IMO Hudson is the worst one out of the group that i listed.

boeknows
07-12-2008, 12:19 AM
You're right. But none of those guys are that great now and they're not really high upside guys. Next years draft is slated to be the worst since 2000. I wouldn't expect any franchise altering picks. Although McHale better be doing his homework, he has a million picks in it. Great year for that...

And u think Chalmers is great as of right now?

thesparky33
07-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Didn't Marcus Banks score like 50 points in the summer league a year ago or so?

Summer League is NOT the same as the National Basketball League... ;)

WSU Tony
07-12-2008, 02:09 AM
And I don't know about all of this McHale "being in love with Love" stuff. A lot of teams liked Love.

Yes, lots of teams liked love, but none of them drafting in front of Memphis admitted to the infatuation, except for Mchale. Letting teams know you don't want Mayo but want Love is not a great way to get fair trade value. Luckily for us it looks like we got that even trade value. (according to many PSD members and analysts.)

SwaggaIke
07-12-2008, 11:59 AM
And u think Chalmers is great as of right now?

Chalmers is the most accomplished guard out of all of them. I'm not saying he's great, but he's a better point guard than all of those players listed at this present moment. Collison showed that he couldn't even get his shot off against the bigger guards of the game. Rose made him look pitiful on both ends of the court. He still would have been a top 20 pick this year but declined to come out. Lawson is just a fast point guard, his game has never been impressive to me. Rubio will be a stud, i've admitted that. Hudson has no future in the league. Price showed flashes, but he's always got some kind of issue. From his early legal issue, to his knees.

Yea its just summer league, but Chalmers has gone head up against some of the best young drafted points and held his own. Rose and Westbrook will be good players in the league and Chalmers did his thing against them. Just because its summer league doesn't mean you can't take things out of it. Good decision making it good decision making against any competition, headiness and high basketball I.Q. Quickness and ability to run the two man game. Defense. Chalmers has displayed all of those things. The "Marcus Banks scored 50 points" line is weak. Intangibles can't be taught and they can't be faked.

adrian_watcher
07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
i think the timberwolves or should i say mchale is now helping the heats win a champiosnhip?..he attempted this a year ago by sending ricky davis there..it wasnt enough though

boeknows
07-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Chalmers is the most accomplished guard out of all of them.

How so? Because he made one shot in the tourney and then has had a couple good games in the summer league.

SwaggaIke
07-13-2008, 01:09 PM
How so? Because he made one shot in the tourney and then has had a couple good games in the summer league.

One shot in the tourney? Chalmers was the MOP of the tournament and point guard of a National Championship winning team. He was named to the All Big 12 Defensive 1st Team and All Big 12 2nd Team. Co Defensive player of the year in the Big 12. Big 12 Tournament MOP. Most steals in a season for a Kansas player back to back years. The 2nd leading scorer and assists leader on a National Championship winning team. What player on that list has a resume that is even remotely comparable?

TwolvesFan
07-13-2008, 06:02 PM
One shot in the tourney? Chalmers was the MOP of the tournament and point guard of a National Championship winning team. He was named to the All Big 12 Defensive 1st Team and All Big 12 2nd Team. Co Defensive player of the year in the Big 12. Big 12 Tournament MOP. Most steals in a season for a Kansas player back to back years. The 2nd leading scorer and assists leader on a National Championship winning team. What player on that list has a resume that is even remotely comparable?

Wow, it sure is weird that so many GM's passed on this guy, especially when point guard is the most coveted position these days. Too bad all those teams that passed on Chalmers in the first round didn't hear all these stats, or we never would have had the opportunity to make such a stupid trade.

P.S. Turn off your italics.

SwaggaIke
07-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow, it sure is weird that so many GM's passed on this guy, especially when point guard is the most coveted position these days. Too bad all those teams that passed on Chalmers in the first round didn't hear all these stats, or we never would have had the opportunity to make such a stupid trade.

P.S. Turn off your italics.

You're too hilarious. Considering this was one of the deepest drafts this century and the fact that there weren't many teams in need of a point guard outside of the lottery, your post holds no weight. I don't care about Minnesota passing on Chalmers. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. People in this thread are trying to act like he isn't an accomplished guard and that's not true. So shut up w/ the bull**** and read before you post. And i'll post however I see fit. If you don't like the italics, don't read my posts.

TwolvesFan
07-13-2008, 06:44 PM
You're too hilarious. Considering this was one of the deepest drafts this century and the fact that there weren't many teams in need of a point guard outside of the lottery, your post holds no weight. I don't care about Minnesota passing on Chalmers. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. People in this thread are trying to act like he isn't an accomplished guard and that's not true. So shut up w/ the bull**** and read before you post. And i'll post however I see fit. If you don't like the italics, don't read my posts.

I love italics! Allow me to enjoy proper usage of them:

People are not just trying to act like he isn't accomplished, he is not an accomplished NBA player. He is an accomplished college player, but we all know that that doesn't translate into the NBA. So why would you tell someone their opinion is wrong and back it up with college accomplishments?

SwaggaIke
07-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I love italics! Allow me to enjoy proper usage of them:

People are not just trying to act like he isn't accomplished, he is not an accomplished NBA player. He is an accomplished college player, but we all know that that doesn't translate into the NBA. So why would you tell someone their opinion is wrong and back it up with college accomplishments?

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE DEBATE WAS ABOUT. Can you read or are you just skimming? Out of that list of collegiate point guards, Chalmers is the best and most accomplished. He has the most intangible skill, best defense, floor leadership and he's a champion.

TwolvesFan
07-13-2008, 07:15 PM
BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE DEBATE WAS ABOUT. Can you read or are you just skimming? Out of that list of collegiate point guards, Chalmers is the best and most accomplished. He has the most intangible skill, best defense, floor leadership and he's a champion.

The debate is about Boe's opinion. You can go ahead and read the posts up until now.

I'm not debating, and either is anyone else, that he was an accomplished guard in college. I agree, he was very accomplished. The reason I jumped in, is you said boe's opinion is wrong based on college stats (not to mention two summer league games). I just think that's stupid. In more than just the last post, you said Chalmers was the best. That is your opinion. You are entitled to that, others are entitled to one too.

WSU Tony
07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
The debate is about Boe's opinion. You can go ahead and read the posts up until now.

I'm not debating, and either is anyone else, that he was an accomplished guard in college. I agree, he was very accomplished. The reason I jumped in, is you said boe's opinion is wrong based on college stats (not to mention two summer league games). I just think that's stupid. In more than just the last post, you said Chalmers was the best. That is your opinion. You are entitled to that, others are entitled to one too.

I can't agree more.

tcman2007
07-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes, lots of teams liked love, but none of them drafting in front of Memphis admitted to the infatuation, except for Mchale. Letting teams know you don't want Mayo but want Love is not a great way to get fair trade value. Luckily for us it looks like we got that even trade value. (according to many PSD members and analysts.)

When did McHale say that "he wanted Love and not Mayo"? I don't think that anyone from the Wolves organization ever implied that they didn't want Mayo. The only way the Wolves liked Kevin Love better than OJ Mayo is if Mike Miller was scotch-taped along with Love. And in case you missed it, it was Memphis who called McHale to revive the deal, not the other way around. So, it wasn't as if McHale talked up his desires for Kevin Love and then called around desperately trying to get him. He did the right thing. He drafted the most talented guy and let the other teams come to him. And after that he didn't pull the trigger until he got an offer that he (and a lot of analysts and PSD members) liked. I just don't see how McHale went about it the wrong way. You can argue that Mayo could be a future superstar, but all of this "infatuation" stuff is a media concoction, IMO.

brandonwarne52
07-13-2008, 09:33 PM
i think the timberwolves or should i say mchale is now helping the heats win a champiosnhip?..he attempted this a year ago by sending ricky davis there..it wasnt enough though

Either you're ******** or being sarcastic.

Or both.

WSUJJ
07-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Mario Chalmers will get onwd in NBA

WSU Tony
07-13-2008, 11:12 PM
When did McHale say that "he wanted Love and not Mayo"? I don't think that anyone from the Wolves organization ever implied that they didn't want Mayo. The only way the Wolves liked Kevin Love better than OJ Mayo is if Mike Miller was scotch-taped along with Love. And in case you missed it, it was Memphis who called McHale to revive the deal, not the other way around. So, it wasn't as if McHale talked up his desires for Kevin Love and then called around desperately trying to get him. He did the right thing. He drafted the most talented guy and let the other teams come to him. And after that he didn't pull the trigger until he got an offer that he (and a lot of analysts and PSD members) liked. I just don't see how McHale went about it the wrong way. You can argue that Mayo could be a future superstar, but all of this "infatuation" stuff is a media concoction, IMO.

I'm not dissagreeing with you and saying that McHale got ripped because of his desires for Love. I'm saying that telling the media who you REALLY want in the draft and that actually considering drafting him at #3, instead of commenting about the drop off in tallent between the two to get a better trade isn't a very good idea. Usually you want to hype the guy you get in order for teams to offer you MORE for them. If Memphis had the ideas that we thought Love was almost as desireable as Mayo, they would likely offer us less for him, instead of more.

I don't think he played his hand right, I guess it worked out in the end since so many like this trade.

boeknows
07-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Either you're ******** or being sarcastic.

Or both.

Haha

brandonwarne52
07-14-2008, 03:35 AM
Well really, though. Has Ricky Davis EVER been on a team that's been .500 or better?

The Lizard King
07-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Well really, though. Has Ricky Davis EVER been on a team that's been .500 or better?

98-99 Charlotte Hornets
99-00 Charlotte Hornets
00-01 Miami Heat

The Lizard King
07-14-2008, 10:31 PM
He is an accomplished college player, but we all know that that doesn't translate into the NBA.

Sometimes it does.

WSU Tony
07-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Sometimes it does.

Sometimes it does, yes, but to say he was good in college so he'll be good in the pros is a foolish endorsement.

The Lizard King
07-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Sometimes it does, yes, but to say he was good in college so he'll be good in the pros is a foolish endorsement.

Oh, of coarse.

That's like saying "if you are drafted by an MLB team you will make their 40 man roster"

Totally unrelated.

brandonwarne52
07-14-2008, 11:35 PM
98-99 Charlotte Hornets
99-00 Charlotte Hornets
00-01 Miami Heat

Pretty much proves my point:laugh:

The Lizard King
07-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Pretty much proves my point:laugh:

Yeah lol. I was thinking the same thing.

WSU Tony
07-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Oh, of coarse.

That's like saying "if you are drafted by an MLB team you will make their 40 man roster"

Totally unrelated.

lol - hit the nail on the head.

It's hard to realize, for some, that guys like Redick or hansbrough might be amazing college players but it might just not translate. Who would have thought the way Redick could hit shots in college that he would be on the bench now after 2-3 (?) years in the NBA. He LIT IT UP in college and was a beast with his 25 foot off balance shots but now he's on the bench....:eyebrow:

boeknows
07-15-2008, 12:26 AM
lol - hit the nail on the head.

It's hard to realize, for some, that guys like Redick or hansbrough might be amazing college players but it might just not translate. Who would have thought the way Redick could hit shots in college that he would be on the bench now after 2-3 (?) years in the NBA. He LIT IT UP in college and was a beast with his 25 foot off balance shots but now he's on the bench....:eyebrow:

I did. He is too short, not strong enough and doesnt play very good defense.

The Lizard King
07-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I did. He is too short, not strong enough and doesnt play very good defense.

I thought he would at least be a nice spark plug off the bench. Kinda like Eddie House for the Celtics.

boeknows
07-15-2008, 12:36 AM
I thought he would at least be a nice spark plug off the bench. Kinda like Eddie House for the Celtics.

Bout the highest i could see him being is a poor mans steve kurr.