PDA

View Full Version : More on the McGrady and Pistons rumors

Manos
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
link from Hoopsworld.com (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9413)

Evening Scoop: McGrady and the Pistons

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 7/9/08

The Houston Rockets would have liked to have been players in the Corey Maggette discussion, but before it even began they knew they didn't have the money to be in that conversation. Maggette had MLE offers from nearly half of the NBA, and was simply waiting for a team with cap space to step up. The Warriors were the first to do so and they will now have Maggette there as they try to recover from the loss of Baron Davis.

The next name Rockets fans are going to hear thrown around is James Posey, but it's doubtful that he winds up in Houston. Frankly, Posey is in a pretty good position to get radically overpaid. He's a nice player, the kind of player who can get a team that just needs a minor tweak into the Finals. But "value" is a strange bedfellow, and often changes depending on the situation. Posey is worth an MLE contract, but with Maggette off the market he might get offers well over that range from a desperate team. The Rockets are in that discussion, but again, are likely to miss out. And that might not be a bad thing.

Which brings us to Tracy McGrady.

I recently had a very frank discussion with Rockets VP Sam Hinkie about McGrady, and it was very similar to discussions I've had with GM Daryl Morey. Hinkie quipped that he and Morey have considered doing bi-monthly press releases stating simply: "The Houston Rockets are NOT interested in trading McGrady." We've written this countless times at HOOPSWORLD, and here it is again:

The Houston Rockets are NOT interested in trading Tracy McGrady.

Is it possible that their stance will change? Of course. But they have a lot of other business to take care of before they decide it's time to completely blow up the team.

The team is close to signing Dikembe Mutombo, which is an absolutely essential first step. Step number two will be signing Carl Landry, a process that has been made needlessly complicated by his agent's refusal to have a simple MRI done to confirm the status of Landry's injured knee. Landry's agent is hoping some other team will offer him a bigger contract without an MRI, but the simple fact that the MRI is being avoided has to be a concern. If the knee is fine, why not have the MRI and prove it to everyone? No one wants to invest millions of dollars in an unknown quantity. Sooner or later, the MRI will be completed and Landry will land back in Houston.

Assuming that to be the case, the Rockets feel they have a great chance to be better simply by allowing their existing team to come together. Luis Scola will improve over the summer, Landry and Aaron Brooks will likely be better (assuming Landry doesn't let his agent cost him summer league and training camp). If they can also get Yao Ming and McGrady healthy for the bulk of the season, that could be enough to get the Rockets to the second round of the playoffs and beyond.

Where I think a crack develops - a crack that might allow McGrady trade talk to slip in - is in Houston's confidence that they can actually get both of their cornerstones healthy at the same time. As good as Yao and McGrady might be together, there is a growing feeling among Rockets fans that they won't ever see their heroes healthy together when it matters most.

Even if the times comes when the Rockets might be willing to move McGrady, it won't be for Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince, as has been rumored time and time again in Detroit media. Rafer Alston has been nothing short of fantastic, and the Rockets are optimistic that Brooks will be ready to log meaningful minutes this season. Bobby Jackson is still in place, as well, and his knowledge of the Adelman offense was invaluable last year. Bringing in Billups - awesome as he is - only creates problems at the point. But the real killer is Prince, who is basically Shane Battier. If there are two more similar players, I don't know who they are. Battier, though, is more of a locker room influence than the reserved Prince. In other words, the Rockets already have the better version of Prince, and certainly don't need another. Neither Billups nor Prince is a premier scorer, so the Rockets would be giving up a lot of points in the deal.

Something involving Rip Hamilton would make a lot more sense for Houston, but that's not what's being rumored . . .and again, the Rockets maintain McGrady isn't on the table anyway.

Finally, we have summer league. The Rockets didn't get their first choice in the draft - the Orlando Magic snatched Courtney Lee before Houston could get on the board. That said, they do like the players they were able to land through draft day trades, and both will get a chance to show they belong on the roster come November 1st. Syracuse's Donte Green has all of the skills the Rockets were hoping to add with Maggette, from perimeter defense to a nice jumper and the ability to put the ball on the court. How soon will he be able to do those things at the pro level? That's always the question. The same question will be asked about Memphis' Joey Dorsey, who was a beast in one of the country's top defenses, but may lack the height to get it done in the big league.

The Rockets will be taking part in the Las Vegas Summer League, which begins on Friday at UNLV. Stay tuned to HOOPSWORLD for exclusive video and analysis from Vegas - where we'll make sure you feed your Rockets jones.

TMAC94
07-10-2008, 10:28 AM
link from Hoopsworld.com (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9413)

NOT TRADING MCGRADY AS IT SAYS! i only scanned threw it though...

TMAC94
07-10-2008, 10:29 AM
anyone think if we get off his back maybe his spasms wont come back and he'll play good?

JordansBulls
07-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Great article. that is what I have been saying all along. The Rockets will just keep their current team with the progress that Scola and Landry have made and the emergence of Rafer. Really this will be the make or break year for the Rockets. They need to be in the conference finals for no major roster changes after next season and I think they will be in the conference finals and more than likely NBA Finals if they can just stay healthy.

t-mac1nukka
07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
there is absolutely no reason to get rid of tmac yet. lets just see how the team can do when together!!

nickymintz
07-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Toronto's Metro News is reporting that the Detroit Pistons are making a serious play to acquire Tracy McGrady from the Houston Rockets.
Given the fact that Joe Dumars seems set to break up the Pistons, this could very well be in the works, although the article provided no details. And why the Pistons are targeting such an injury prone star is also suspicious. But don't be surprised to see the Pistons pull off at least one blockbuster trade this summer.
Rotoworld

Renovator
07-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Toronto's Metro News is reporting that the Detroit Pistons are making a serious play to acquire Tracy McGrady from the Houston Rockets.
Given the fact that Joe Dumars seems set to break up the Pistons, this could very well be in the works, although the article provided no details. And why the Pistons are targeting such an injury prone star is also suspicious. But don't be surprised to see the Pistons pull off at least one blockbuster trade this summer.
Rotoworld

I dont see Houstin giving up TMAC. I would be very intrested to know what Dumars is willing to give and Morey might consider in return for TMAC.

Manos
07-11-2008, 10:25 AM
link (http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/sports/article/81840)

McGrady to Motor City?

• And, speaking of major trade possibilities, there’s a blockbuster brewing in the NBA, too.
The Detroit Pistons, we hear, are making a big pitch to the Houston Rockets for perennial all-star Tracy McGrady

HouRealCoach
07-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Hoopsworld?!?!?!?!?

Tmac to da rack
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Oh my god!!!! Tmac might be gone!! It says a serious pitch!!!!!!!!! What if Detroit is offering like Rip, Sheed, and Prince for Tmac and Bobby Jacksons Contract, and I guess other garbage Contracts to match salaries, Maybe we can get 3 players from there starting line up, I would definatly do that, No IFS, OR BUTTS. Thats the most any teams going to get for a superstar.

DontNOMuch
07-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Doubt that is the case though, I would actually love that trade if that is really what Detroit is offering

sep11ie
07-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow, a Canadian newspaper said it, it's gotta be true!

mightybosstone
07-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Oh my god!!!! Tmac might be gone!! It says a serious pitch!!!!!!!!! What if Detroit is offering like Rip, Sheed, and Prince for Tmac and Bobby Jacksons Contract, and I guess other garbage Contracts to match salaries, Maybe we can get 3 players from there starting line up, I would definatly do that, No IFS, OR BUTTS. Thats the most any teams going to get for a superstar.

They're not that stupid... Seriously though, the only way I make a trade for T-Mac is if Rip Hamilton is involved, and additionally either Sheed, Stuckey, or Prince...

richardle9
07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
**** im worried

rancid8937
07-11-2008, 03:01 PM

This deal only works if we agree to give Joe a 9mm, so he can shove it in his mouth and pull the trigger. Are you kidding? Not just this deal but all the deals involving McGrady to the Pistions don't work for me. Chauncey is starting to decline, and obviously won't become any better. Wallace is too about himself and also getting up in age, and Prince is a Silent Bob version of Battier.

Look I'm not totally against moving T-mac. but your never going to get equal value for him. Same reason Kobe didn't get moved last season. Houstons got a good team, and the only thing standing in the way of a championship is Health and a true #3 option.

Barry will help spread the floor and come February when a pretender is having a fire sale, Houston will have the contracts of Jackson, Francis to drop, include a first round pick and you can get a player like Artest etc.

mightybosstone
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
This deal only works if we agree to give Joe a 9mm, so he can shove it in his mouth and pull the trigger. Are you kidding? Not just this deal but all the deals involving McGrady to the Pistions don't work for me. Chauncey is starting to decline, and obviously won't become any better. Wallace is too about himself and also getting up in age, and Prince is a Silent Bob version of Battier.

Look I'm not totally against moving T-mac. but your never going to get equal value for him. Same reason Kobe didn't get moved last season. Houstons got a good team, and the only thing standing in the way of a championship is Health and a true #3 option.

Barry will help spread the floor and come February when a pretender is having a fire sale, Houston will have the contracts of Jackson, Francis to drop, include a first round pick and you can get a player like Artest etc.

Agreed. BUT all that being said, I don't think the Rockets could turn down a Rip/Sheed trade. I don't think that's who Detroit would offer, but if it were, I'd have a hard time not taking it.

Tmac to da rack
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Why would we want sheed, didnt he say he was going to retire after next season?

sep11ie
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Cause that would free up 18 million dollars next year. Pretty good start huh? That being said, I still wanna see T-Mac retire as a Rocket.

mightybosstone
07-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Why would we want sheed, didnt he say he was going to retire after next season?

I didn't hear anything about that, but if thats the case, then you're right, he wouldn't be worth it.

rocketfuel
07-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Actually, Detroit is not anywhere close to trading for Tmac.....and the sides haven't even talked in a long time.

Quite frankly, I think it would be a terrible trade for the Rockets and I hope Morey is not entertaining any such thoughts....it would totally change my view of him as a Golden boy GM. There's no one on the Pistons that I would really covet. Billups play has declined and he struggled mightily to take over games. We already have Battier, so adding Prince and subtracting Tmac would be disasterous. We have Scola, Landry (possibly) Dorsey and maybe Hayes....why bring in Sheed's bad attitude and his penchant for settling for outside shots when he has the skills to play inside. A guy as gifted as Tmac at scoring and taking over games does not grow on trees... the only players that I was willing to trade for Tmac (when I posted about this last year) was the likes of Garnett or possibly Pierce. Wade..etc. There are only a handful of go to scorers that can take over games and Tmac is one of them.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/07/tmac_to_detroit_deal_not_close.html

T-Mac to Detroit deal not close to happening
by A. Sherrod Blakely
Friday July 11, 2008, 10:18 AM
LAS VEGAS -- And now, for the latest addition to the growing stack of untrue rumors regarding Detroit and possible trades.

A report out of Detroit indicated the Pistons were close to getting a deal done that would land them Houston's Tracy McGrady.

Sources I spoke with this morning confirmed that the story is not true. In fact, the two teams haven't had any type of talks with each other in quite some time. Last I checked, telepathic deals aren't allowed in the NBA.

Maybe this rumor was planted to get both sides talking again.

But the more I think about it, that doesn't make a lot of sense. The Pistons already have expressed interest in McGrady. Houston knows what players are available. There's not a whole lot of back-and-fourth talks that need to be had at this point.

As I wrote about earlier this week, Denver's Carmelo Anthony and McGrady are two players that Detroit have a lot of interest in. Their efforts to land Anthony didn't work, but that doesn't mean the two won't resume talks at a later time. The same goes for potential talks in the future with Houston about McGrady.

I'll continue to keep you abreast of how all this plays out. But as of 10:30 Friday morning, the Pistons are not close to trading for McGrady.

I will have some reports later on tonight following Detroit's first summer league game against the Los Angeles Lakers.

As I mentioned in my Cheikh Samb story for today, tonight's 8 p.m. game will be on NBA TV, or you can see its webcast on nba.com which will begin at 8:30 p.m.

mightybosstone
07-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I read this, too. I've been skeptical of the whole thing, because I didn't see any two players on that team that we could really use that badly and I don't think they'd be willing to part with them anyways.

rocketfuel
07-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Unless it's for a playmaker like Chris Paul or a star scorer that can take over a game like Wade..... it would make no sense to trade Tmac for anyone on the Pistons.... who have a collection of a bunch of pretty good players, but none that can really take over a game offensively...which is why they want Tmac so badly. If Rip Hamilton and Billups were that guy, then they wouldn't even be angling for Tmac.

mightybosstone
07-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Unless it's for a playmaker like Chris Paul or a star scorer that can take over a game like Wade..... it would make no sense to trade Tmac for anyone on the Pistons.... who have a collection of a bunch of pretty good players, but none that can really take over a game offensively...which is why they want Tmac so badly. If Rip Hamilton and Billups were that guy, then they wouldn't even be angling for Tmac.

Why would the Hornets or the Heat trade Paul or Wade? Superstars don't get traded for supestars, they get traded for less than their value, generally a few different pieces.

Renovator
07-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Not Happenning.

nessa66666
07-11-2008, 09:35 PM
A fews article onlines are saying the the report of a t-mac to the pistions is false.

Also Sportcenter and around the horn are saying it is False as well.

Someone on another message boards said that thier was rumors the

Houston ask for Tay/Rip for T-mac.

connorg3
07-11-2008, 10:59 PM
The only way i would consider this trade was if it involved another team. Most of the time it is difficult to gauge a trade between two teams, but three teams is truly difficult. I mean, Rip and Sheed to us and sending Sheed to another team with additional stuff from us wouldn't be unheard of. Say Sheed and a player for two from us for one of the players everyone is wanting like Artest. Rip is the replacement, but the true prize comes in using the second player as trade bait, since we don't want them anyway, to a team with a player we want. That is the only way i think it would be feasible and sane.

JordansBulls
07-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Actually, Detroit is not anywhere close to trading for Tmac.....and the sides haven't even talked in a long time.

Quite frankly, I think it would be a terrible trade for the Rockets and I hope Morey is not entertaining any such thoughts....it would totally change my view of him as a Golden boy GM. There's no one on the Pistons that I would really covet. Billups play has declined and he struggled mightily to take over games. We already have Battier, so adding Prince and subtracting Tmac would be disasterous. We have Scola, Landry (possibly) Dorsey and maybe Hayes....why bring in Sheed's bad attitude and his penchant for settling for outside shots when he has the skills to play inside. A guy as gifted as Tmac at scoring and taking over games does not grow on trees... the only players that I was willing to trade for Tmac (when I posted about this last year) was the likes of Garnett or possibly Pierce. Wade..etc. There are only a handful of go to scorers that can take over games and Tmac is one of them.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/07/tmac_to_detroit_deal_not_close.html

Pistons need to focus on getting Melo.

Actually they should trade Hamilton and filler to Philly for Iggy.

Sports Illustrator
07-13-2008, 11:08 AM
A team source indicated today that the Pistons are not "remotely" close to a deal for Houston Rockets superstar Tracy McGrady. Metronews.ca, which is based in Toronto, said in an Internet report -- but cited no sources -- that the Pistons are "making a big push for McGrady." The Pistons source downplayed the report, saying the Rockets are just one of many teams to whom the club has spoken about potential trades."

From Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/SPORTS03/80711079/1051)

JordansBulls
07-13-2008, 12:41 PM
From Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/SPORTS03/80711079/1051)

Yeah I don't think Mcgrady is going anywhere this year. The Rockets will give it one more shot with the tandem. I actually think they will do quite well this coming year.

rocketfuel
07-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Why would the Hornets or the Heat trade Paul or Wade? Superstars don't get traded for supestars, they get traded for less than their value, generally a few different pieces.

I never said that the Hornets or Heat would ever do that trade.... in fact, there's no way in hell the Hornets would ever do that trade... I said those are the only type players I would be willing to trade Tmac for.... not for the likes of Billups, Prince, Sheed or Hamilton..... or any collection of pretty good players..... so essentially, I'm saying we should not trade Tmac. I don't like any of the "proposed" trades for him so far.

yaowowrocket11
07-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I am actually a big fan of a trade of T-Mac to Detroit, only if we get back the following players:

Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince..........and maybe Stuckey if we add in another piece

Don't want Billups or Sheed

Manos
07-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Link from Freep.com (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080714/SPORTS03/307140006/1051)

Pistons deny they're close to a deal for Tracy McGrady

By VINCE ELLIS • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • July 14, 2008

A team source indicated today that the Pistons are not “remotely” close to a deal for Houston Rockets superstar Tracy McGrady.

Metronews.ca, which is based in Toronto, said in an Internet report — but cited no sources — that the Pistons are "making a big push for McGrady."

The Pistons source downplayed the report, saying the Rockets are just one of many teams to whom the club has spoken about potential trades.

McGrady, a 6-foot-8 forward with 11 seasons under his belt, spent his first three seasons in Toronto. He averaged 21.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.9 assists last season for Houston.