PDA

View Full Version : How much do we have for new players?

babyshaq87
07-10-2008, 06:56 AM
We resigned JosŤ, we traded TJ and Rasho for JO and Jawai, i think we need to do something more.. here is our lineup right now..

Calderdon - Ukic (pobably)
Parker - Kapono - Adams
????? - Moon - Graham
CB4 - Bargnani - Humphries
JO - ???

I don't know how much we have to offer for new players.. but we have the full MLE.. we need a center and decent SF because i don't like moon starting again as our SF and i see Kapono as SG who can backup parker and play with him wen we need more ouside shoots.. i would have resigned Brezec because we don't need a dominant center (JO is here!!!) and brezec can be in the bench without problem and can sign with less money than anyone else.. so we need to focus on the SF position.. i'd love james posey but i don't know how much money he wants...

Tom Stone
07-10-2008, 08:09 AM
I heard we were bringing Nathan Jawari over....and i heard we just need 1 more spot....They be saying we need 2 more players if we wearn't bringing him over.

babyshaq87
07-10-2008, 08:45 AM
i read Jawai is more a PF than a C.. also they could let him play somewhere and take him next year.. i would let him play somewhere this year, sign Brezec to 1 year deal so next summer brezec is gone and we take jawai back.. but more important is the SF spot.. i would give the MLE to posey or part of the MLE for other players like Matt Barnes who is not a superstar but can play...

IndyFan
07-10-2008, 09:22 AM
posey wants [and will probably get] the MLE from someone. probably a contender. boston is trying to low ball him. as soon as they offer the MLE to him, he will take it. if they don't then other teams have a chance.

:)

Raptors27
07-10-2008, 09:24 AM
We can't offer full MLE without paying tax and we don't wanna pay tax so we have 3-4 million to spend

babyshaq87
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
only 3-4 million? this way i would get one of jawai or brezec if we want to look 4 a SF.. insted if they think we are ok at SF i would sign Krstic as the 4th big man in rotation..

pebloemer
07-10-2008, 10:00 AM
only 3-4 million? this way i would get one of jawai or brezec if we want to look 4 a SF.. insted if they think we are ok at SF i would sign Krstic as the 4th big man in rotation..

Why would people want Brezec back? Lacks maturity, lacks skill, all he is is a tall guy with strange antics and capable of hustling. I think we can do better from the D-League.

babyshaq87
07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
i said brezec because we need a 4th big man who doesn't want a big contract and who doesn't want to pla 48 minutes... if we find someone form he dleague ok but if we don't we need to sign someone and i would sign him because he wants a small contract.. the problem is not the big man.. the problem is the sf!!!

B2B
07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Why would people want Brezec back? Lacks maturity, lacks skill, all he is is a tall guy with strange antics and capable of hustling. I think we can do better from the D-League.

A roster must have atleast 13 players (12 active) (1 inactive) Brezec is a big that can give mins at C. Keep him as the inactive player and use him incase of injury to one of our bigs.

Tom Stone
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I think brezec is alright...he hustles hard he's 7"1 good shot and good skill...he reminds me of young Z ...good passer , hustles for rebounds and we can get him cheap....His first year in the NBA he played with Brevon knight (a good point gaurd) and avraged 14 points and 7 bords...calderon could work even better with him....off the bench he'd be good.

Dragan
07-10-2008, 12:44 PM
ahhahahahah Raptors27, you have the greatest Sig in the history of sigs. ahahahahahhahahaha. can i borrow it?????????????

btw i assume that hump, bragz, and Jawai will be backing JO up. and well sign a combo guard. so fill in the other holes

Raptors27
07-10-2008, 12:54 PM
ahhahahahah Raptors27, you have the greatest Sig in the history of sigs. ahahahahahhahahaha. can i borrow it?????????????

btw i assume that hump, bragz, and Jawai will be backing JO up. and well sign a combo guard. so fill in the other holes

haha thanks :D i was bored so yeah..sorry can't borrow it tho, its my greatest work of art ever :p

khanraymond
07-10-2008, 01:24 PM
"The tax level for the 2008-09 season has been set at $71.150 million. Any team whose team salary exceeds that figure will pay a $1 tax for each $1 by which it exceeds $71.150 million."

Sam indicated that another PG will be signed - that they still have enough for a vet min (1.2 mill)

1)Jermaine O'Neal - $21,352,500.00
2)Chris Bosh -$14,410,581.00
3)Jose Calderon - $8,000,000.00 (est)
4)Anthony Parker - $4,550,000.00
5)Jamario Moon - $711,517.00
6)Jason Kapono - $5,784,480.00
7)Andrea Bargnani - $5,176,440.00
8)Roko Ukic - $750,000.00
9)FA - ?
10)Kris Humphries - $3,000,000.00
11)Hassan Adams - $450,000.00
12)Joey Graham - $2,449,184.00
13)Nathan Jawii - $450,000.00
Jorge Garbajosa - $3,000,000.00 (buy-out)
TOTALS: - $69,934,702.00

That leaves $1.215,298.00 (pretty close the vet min) before going into Lux Tax to sign an additional PG.

They also said there going to wait until the end of the summer before signing that additional PG because the Price of players are higher at the beginning of the FA period and your able to sign better plays for less towards the end (guys looking for a job). So Raptor fans won't be able to see the final roster for a few more weeks. But who ever it is - they will be challenging Ukic for backup PG (I think they already have someone in mind).
A few people think it maybe Jay Williams - he tried to make an NBA comeback last year with the Raptors and New Jersey - but Raptors decided on Martin and he signed with New Jersey for bit, but was released. Supposedly he has used the last year to work on getting back to the NBA this season.

Raptors27
07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I seem somewheres Calderon was gonna get 46 million for 5 years..

Raptors27
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I think if Jay Williams is healthy enough to play then sure. This kid can ball.

hades
07-10-2008, 01:50 PM
i actually like moon starting for the 3 spot. His Hungry. Feed him. and besides, he's cheeap who can do a decent job. cmon! tell me u dont want his alley oop dunks and 8.5 points per game and his 6.2 rebounds per game!!

khanraymond
07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I seem somewheres Calderon was gonna get 46 million for 5 years..

I heard it was 44 million for 5 years (5% increase each year).
$8,000,000.00 - $8,400,000.00 - $8,820,000.00 - $9,261,000.00 - $9,724,050.00 = $44,205,050.00

but I could be wrong

Countdown
07-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I think we should pencil-in Jawai as the back-up Centre. If he is on our vegas summer leauge team, Sam Mitchell should excuse him from practice, and let him work out with O'Neal and Bargs.He can gain valuable experience from O'neal, and if he can pick up moves quickly, he will be bargain while under O'neal's wing.

Also we should move Moon back in to the starting role, and sign either Matt Barnes, Bonzi Wells, or Andray Blatche(I beleive he is a FA) which strengthens the 2nd-unit. I think we can sign either one of them for cheap.

For a 2nd string(for the begining of the season) I think we can also sign Bobby Jackson for cheap.

PG- Calderon / Jackson / Ukic
SG- Parker / Kapono / Adams
SF- Moon / Wells or Barnes or Blatche
PF- Bosh / Bargnani / Humphries
C- O'neal / Jawai

Any thoughts?

khanraymond
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I think we should pencil-in Jawai as the back-up Centre. If he is on our vegas summer leauge team, Sam Mitchell should excuse him from practice, and let him work out with O'Neal and Bargs.He can gain valuable experience from O'neal, and if he can pick up moves quickly, he will be bargain while under O'neal's wing.

Also we should move Moon back in to the starting role, and sign either Matt Barnes, Bonzi Wells, or Andray Blatche(I beleive he is a FA) which strengthens the 2nd-unit. I think we can sign either one of them for cheap.

For a 2nd string(for the begining of the season) I think we can also sign Bobby Jackson for cheap.

PG- Calderon / Jackson / Ukic
SG- Parker / Kapono / Adams
SF- Moon / Wells or Barnes or Blatche
PF- Bosh / Bargnani / Humphries
C- O'neal / Jawai

Any thoughts?

I think all the players you mentioned (not sure if Blatche is a FA - I believe he's not, but I could be wrong) - would not accept a Min Contract of 1.2 mill. Wasn't it last summer that Bonzi was asking for more than the MLE of 5.1 million.

Front court rotation - Bosh, O'Neal and Bragnani - with left over minutes going to either Humphris or Jawai (but nothing significant) = 4 players.

Wing rotation - Parker, Moon and Kapono - with left over minutes going to either Graham or Adams (but nothing significant) = 4 players.

PG rotation - Calderon - with the Backup minutes going to Ukic or FA = 2 players.

There are 7 spots completely locked up (Bosh, O'Neal, Parker, Moon, Calderon, Kapono and Bragnani - no one can argue that) = 3 players left who can get REGULAR minutes (not a lot, but regular).

As of right now, I give end of the rotation 8th to 10th (since i have no idea who their going to sign as the 3rd PG) - Ukic(8th), Graham(9th) and Humphris(10th)
Leaving Adams(11th), FA(12th) and Jawai (our ONLY inactive player at 13th).

BUT - don't be suprised if Jawai beats out Humphris for 10th spot, Adams beats out Graham for 9th spot and the FA beats out Ukic for the 8th spot.

North Yorker
07-10-2008, 03:03 PM
As far as this year I would feel more comfortable with Hump then Jawai. Hump played really good in some games last year, but then fell outta favor when Sam tightened the rotation.

_Sn1P3r_
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
i actually like moon starting for the 3 spot. His Hungry. Feed him. and besides, he's cheeap who can do a decent job. cmon! tell me u dont want his alley oop dunks and 8.5 points per game and his 6.2 rebounds per game!!

I like Moon too. He should work on his shots this summer.

babyshaq87
07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
i think we need someone to help moon at SF.. someone who could sign for the vet exception but there aren't vets who could want to sign with us.. a vet player who signs for the vet exception is going to do it only for contenders.. and honestly i don't think we are contenders..

R_Squared99
07-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Everyone is talking about this "terrible" luxury tax. Whats the big deal. Do you really think that MLSE will cry over having to pay a few million extra? Besides, the more money they put into the team, the deeper they will go in the playoffs, which in the end equals more money for them. $$$$$$$

ramz.n
07-10-2008, 08:02 PM
nice raptor27 lmao..hilarious..

you don't like Moon starting?..we only won a game against Orlando in the playoffs when Smitch started Moon or it would have been a clean sweep..we don't need a big time player..Calderon needs his touches, Bosh and O'neal need majority of the touches, Kapono was brought in for his shooting, Moon is a player who rebounds, block shots, excites the crowd while not demanding touches, that is what we need in order to keep Bosh O'neal, Calderon and Bargnani happy and effective.

Raptors27
07-10-2008, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=ramz.n;5813463]nice raptor27 lmao..hilarious..[QUOTE]

Thanks haha :D

Bramaca
07-10-2008, 10:17 PM
"The tax level for the 2008-09 season has been set at $71.150 million. Any team whose team salary exceeds that figure will pay a $1 tax for each $1 by which it exceeds $71.150 million."

Sam indicated that another PG will be signed - that they still have enough for a vet min (1.2 mill)

1)Jermaine O'Neal - $21,352,500.00
2)Chris Bosh -$14,410,581.00
3)Jose Calderon - $8,000,000.00 (est)
4)Anthony Parker - $4,550,000.00
5)Jamario Moon - $711,517.00
6)Jason Kapono - $5,784,480.00
7)Andrea Bargnani - $5,176,440.00
8)Roko Ukic - $750,000.00
9)FA - ?
10)Kris Humphries - $3,000,000.00
11)Hassan Adams - $450,000.00
12)Joey Graham - $2,449,184.00
13)Nathan Jawii - $450,000.00
Jorge Garbajosa - $3,000,000.00 (buy-out)
TOTALS: - $69,934,702.00

That leaves $1.215,298.00 (pretty close the vet min) before going into Lux Tax to sign an additional PG.

Kris Humphries salary is $3,108,808 and Garbo's buyout is $3,250,000 according to this sight.

http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/08-09salaries.htm

Plus from what I understand Ukic has to buyout his contract in Europe with his own money so he will be getting a contract somewhere in the range of $2,000,000 to $2,500,000 per year. That would bring the Raps up to around 71.55 million so far. Even with a minimum salary player the Raps look like they will be around a 1 to 1.5 million over the luxury tax.

raptors wiseguy
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
yesterday at the calderon press conference didnt BC say that the calderon deal put the raps $60 000 over the luxury tax and they restructured it to put them under?

this means that the raps arent that much under the luxury tax and since MLSE arent willing to spend over the luxury tax...the raps wont use the whole MLE to acquire players

babyshaq87
07-11-2008, 05:32 AM
yesterday at the calderon press conference didnt BC say that the calderon deal put the raps $60 000 over the luxury tax and they restructured it to put them under?

this means that the raps arent that much under the luxury tax and since MLSE arent willing to spend over the luxury tax...the raps wont use the whole MLE to acquire players

if it's true we are done.. nobody is coming in the next weeks.. and we need the 13 spot to be covered ( i sai once again i see brezec coming back just for complete the C rotation)
we have a decent team but some help af SF would have been for the next level.. anyway we have a good roster

calderon - ukic
parker - adams
moon - kapono - graham
bosh - bargnani - humphries
jo - jawai - brezec

it's good, not great.. better than last year but not the best we could make.. if we don't want the luxury tax we are done.. but if we could go 3-4 million over and pay this damn tax with only one players we would make the difference..

khanraymond
07-11-2008, 10:26 AM
if it's true we are done.. nobody is coming in the next weeks.. and we need the 13 spot to be covered ( i sai once again i see brezec coming back just for complete the C rotation)
we have a decent team but some help af SF would have been for the next level.. anyway we have a good roster

calderon - ukic
parker - adams
moon - kapono - graham
bosh - bargnani - humphries
jo - jawai - brezec

it's good, not great.. better than last year but not the best we could make.. if we don't want the luxury tax we are done.. but if we could go 3-4 million over and pay this damn tax with only one players we would make the difference..

Brezec isn't coming back. They've already stated they're going after a G (most likely a combo guard) - who can fill the 3rd PG role, or may even steal the 2nd PG role. They just inked Jawai to a 2 year deal - means 5 big men under contract (thats the usually number - last year: Bosh, Brag, Rasho, Humphris, Basten - how many of them really saw regular minutes?)

Depending on the experience of the player that can range from $450,000 to $1,200,000) - And Doug Smith said that after Roko, Jawai, Adams and Calderon sign - we should slighty over 70 million, so slightly less than 1.25 million to offer.

Rotation for next year:
Calderon - FA or Ukic - FA or Ukic
Parker - Kapono - Adams or FA
Moon - Kapono - Graham - Adams
Bosh - Bragnani - Humphris - Jawai
ONeal - Bragnani - Humphris - Jawai

Players in bold - only ones who will get significant minutes. Italicized players - one will crack the 9th and 10th spot.

I know alot of people feel we need to upgrade the wing position from last years - but remember:

1)Sam had discourage Kapono from shooting 3pt last year (2.5 attempts/game in Miami season before compared to his 1.5 atttempts/game with the raptors). But in the playoffs, almost 5 attempts/game (shooting 54% from the 3pt line) - not to say he's going to average 5 attempts, but he's going to average more than 1.5. He also average only 18 minutes per game during the season, compared to 30 minutes in the playoffs - his point production went from 7.2 to 15.6 and his FG attempts went from 6.2 to 10.6 (extra 4 attempts/game = extra 8 pts/game = statistically amazing). And to think, in the playoffs there was only one player demanding a double team (what about CB4JO6?). Also, Delfino 23mins/game (4 3pt attempts/game at 38%) - who would you rather have jacking up those 3pt shots?

2) Moon averaged about 28 minutes last year - giving 8.5 pts and 6.2 rbs, 1.5blks and 1stl - in his rookie year - anyone expect more from his this year? Last year, he was was the best help defender on the team and second best rebounder (avg more blks than anyone on the team). This year, I think there will be a new Blks and RBs leader. Also, like many expect Bragnani to make that jump from 10pts (last year) to 15pts (this year), many should also expect to see Moon's number on the rise because 1) double teams on Bosh or ONeal will come from the SF or SG or PG- so that leaves Parker or Calderon or Kapono open at the 3pt line (47% avg between the 3 of them - deadly) or Moon slashing to the basket for a dunk (higher FG%). 2)Not to be a TJ hater, but the 56 games that Calderon started - Moon averaged 9.5pts and 6 rbs, where as when TJ started he avg 7pts and 6rbs. I don't want to completely blame TJ, but its interesting that this guy averaged 2.5 pts more per game in the same amount of minutes with different PG's. Whats going to happen with Calderon passing the ball all year to him?

Countdown
07-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Anyone think we have a chance at Michael Finley? He'll take a small contract becuase i believe he is still being paid by the Mavs.

Also, what do you think of this jersey.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/SV3_16/Rapsjersey.jpg

I used paint, and i made it pretty quicky. If anyone has photoshop, can they make a better version of it.

Thanx

raptor fan
07-11-2008, 05:52 PM
a player that i had some interest in last season was jumaine jones. does anyone know what his current status is? if he is a free agent, i think he would be a great addition to our team. he can play both the SG and SF position. He is a pretty good defender and has the ability to hit from long range. if we could get him and a backup point guard for whatever amount we have left, that'd be great.

Raptors27
07-11-2008, 10:39 PM
^^ I really don't think we need hiom and his bad contract.

Goon.Weezy
07-11-2008, 11:32 PM
they shud sign Damon stoudamire , lindsay hunter.......or BRING BACK ALVIN WILLIAMSSS

Raptors27
07-12-2008, 10:14 AM
they shud sign Damon stoudamire , lindsay hunter.......or BRING BACK ALVIN WILLIAMSSS

Alvin Williams can't play anymore i don't think. Plus he's adoing some announcing for Philly games.

PostYourEyes
07-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Alvin Williams can't play anymore i don't think. Plus he's adoing some announcing for Philly games.

really?

babyshaq87
07-14-2008, 06:14 AM
i think we will see moon and kapono's stats getting better.. bargnani's stats will be better too because now he doesn't need to play too near the basket.. when he will be on the floor with JO probably we will se the real Bargnani.. he needed a low post player to be better... i'd like to see kapono more on the floor, we have 3 men for 2 spots (moon, kapono and parker fot SG and SF position which means something like 25-30 minuts for each player and some minutes for a fourth man likely Adams..).. i'd like to see ukic as the backup PG because he has good skills.. we could be ok just as we are now but if we want a chance to be more than a second rounder team in the playoffs we need something more.. i'd have loved maggette but he would have made us something like 8-10 million over the luxury tax but with him we would have been great!!