PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry signing with Rockets

nickymintz
07-10-2008, 06:16 AM
As he was last March, the 36-year-old Barry showed interest in signing with the Suns even though they could only offer him the $1.262 veteran minimum salary. But all indications now are that Barry will wind up in Houston, where the Rockets can offer him their bi-annual exception of $1.9 million.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/120427

Manos
07-10-2008, 07:23 AM
:clap:

Solid pick up, I'm glad he decided to sign with Houston. I think he was going to last season, until Yao went down, better late than never.

Chronz
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Very sound move, if he doesnt work out its not a big deal, if he does he spreads the floor better than most in the league and even though hes old his game hasnt declined much. His offensive rating is through the roof, need more finishers around Yao.

Renovator
07-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Awesome, thats great news. what would be even more awesome is if this spells the end of Luther Head.

Has this been actually confirmed yet though? I'd hate to be dissapointed if I hear hes gone seomwhere else.

TMAC94
07-10-2008, 08:26 AM
goood news

JordansBulls
07-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Good for the Rockets now they get a backup SG for T-mac.

val_modus
07-10-2008, 08:42 AM
GREAT PICKUP, we need size at the guard position and he will spread the floor perfectly, some experience never hurts aswell

Russjr2
07-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I hope he makes it public so Morey can move on to the next phase of his plan. I think if Barry signs that means we can move L Head in a bigger deal later on (maybe at the trade deadline). Might mean Novak is out as well if Greene shows something in summer league. I think the drafting of Maarty L from Oregon is a replacement plan for Novak if he doesn't pick it up this year.

If we sign Barry I hope some of these whiners can shut up for a little while about us not making any moves. This would be a great move for us.

HouRealCoach
07-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Great to see Morey making moves....Lets see what else he has planned

t-mac1nukka
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Good for the Rockets now they get a backup SG for T-mac.

doesnt barry play a little of pg and sg???

mightybosstone
07-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm really glad to hear this, but until I've heard that he's signed on the dotted line, I'm not gonna take to much stock in verbal agreements or where a player is "likely" to go. The way this offseason has gone so far, there's no telling where players are gonna end up.

Rhyming Rebel
07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Has he already signed? I thought they were saying we were the front runner.

Astros BLT
07-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Its a good signing for the Rockets, obviously Barry is not the missing piece but he only adds to our potential success. Luther Head was really disappointing with the 3 all year, hopefully Barry can be a guy we can trust, and will consistently shoot the 3 well. Brent is following the family trend of joining the Rockets at the late stages of his career, he will probably retire as a Rocket.

Jay22Redd
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm really glad to hear this, but until I've heard that he's signed on the dotted line, I'm not gonna take to much stock in verbal agreements or where a player is "likely" to go. The way this offseason has gone so far, there's no telling where players are gonna end up.

I was thinking the same thing. Im not going to make a big deal of it until we actually sign him.

DontNOMuch
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Hope we really get him then. Get it done Morey

pippsux
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
It's not confirmed yet, but seems inevitable. I will wait for the confirmation before I jump for joy.

YungADaPro
07-10-2008, 05:58 PM
adding depth to the rotation is what Barry going to do

richardle9
07-10-2008, 06:42 PM
do you guys know when this signing is going to happen?

G2BOAT
07-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Great pickup he can shoot the three, and he knows how to win. Good good pickup.

goku
07-10-2008, 08:14 PM
now we finally have sombody on the team with rings and experience and leadership:clap:

ryback
07-10-2008, 08:51 PM
He's now with us(see link). Now are they going to sign our two draft picks? or see them how they work in the summer league?

See link

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5881884.html

Ghostbuster Guy
07-10-2008, 09:49 PM
alright!!!

Driven
07-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Anyone not happy with this signing is crazy. Anyone who thinks this makes a HUGE difference is also crazy.

Nice addition.

Driven
07-10-2008, 10:46 PM
HOUSTON (TICKER) —The Houston Rockets on Thursday signed free-agent guard Brent Barry to a two-year contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Barry, 36, who averaged 7.1 points while shooting 43 percent from 3-point range in 31 games for the San Antonio Spurs in 2007-08, has a career scoring average of 9.7 points in 856 games with the Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls, Seattle SuperSonics and Spurs.

The 13-year veteran, who was a key contributor during San Antonio’s 2004-05 and 2006-07 title runs, has appeared in 84 playoff games, averaging 6.0 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists .

“Brent is a proven winner who brings a wealth of championship experience,” Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said. “His playmaking and long-range shooting abilities are an ideal fit for coach (Rick) Adelman’s system while his versatility allows us to use him in a variety of roles. Brent has been a consistent scorer in the playoffs and played a vital part in winning two NBA championships.”

Selected 15th overall in 1995 by the Denver Nuggets before having his draft rights traded to the Clippers, the 6-7, 210-pound Barry ranks eighth among active players in career 3-point field goal percentage (.407) and sixth in career 3-pointers made (1,346).

The New York native, who was named to the 1996 All-Rookie Second Team and won the Slam Dunk Contest that season, joins his father, Rick, and brother, Jon, in completing a family trio to play for the Rockets. Rick spent two seasons (1978-80) of his Hall of Fame career with the Rockets. Jon also played two seasons for Houston (2004-06).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ap8X2hLHz8AaClLh9gVM1Ip.0bYF?slug=txrock etsbarry&prov=st&type=lgns

pippsux
07-10-2008, 11:05 PM
It is confirmed, welcome to Houston Brent, now please stay healthy.

t-mac1nukka
07-10-2008, 11:30 PM
love the pick up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DontNOMuch
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Yes I love this trade.

JordansBulls
07-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Great pickup.

Jay22Redd
07-11-2008, 02:45 AM
Welcome to Clutch City Mr. Brent Barry!!! I think this makes us a lil better because T-Mac can rest a little more knowing the we have another scorer. He can also play with T-Mac and hit the outside shot.

What now for Luther Head???

Jay22Redd
07-11-2008, 02:56 AM
Now T-mac can get a lil rest. Brent can also play with t-mac. this is a good pickup.

What now for Luther Head???

goku
07-11-2008, 03:01 AM
brent wont dissappear in the playoffs like head

HoUsTon FaN
07-11-2008, 03:29 AM
its official the rockets signed brent barry for 2 years making him the third barry to sign with us after his brotha jon barry and his father rick barry!!! hopefully he can help us in the scoring section!!

nickymintz
07-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Good signing.
Now we should focus on signing either James Posey or Carl Landry.
Then we should trade BJAX, Luther Head and Steve Novak for a point guard or a center.

Renovator
07-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Do you gs think his age might play a factor this season? I dont think he will be the smae palyer he was 2-3 years ago. But still he his a way better option to backup TMAC then Head.

pippsux
07-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I am glad this was done. The longer this took for him to agree, the longer I worried that he would resign with the Spurs or even worse the Suns who desperately need a shooter. I applaud Morey again, he continues to do what he do. If only we had this guy 5 years ago? I think it helps that Adelman is the coach and more players like to play in an uptempo motion type of offense.

ryback
07-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Now that Brent Barry is with us. We now have a good reliever from T-mAc and Battier with there respective position. My question with the two rookies we have is Greene can realy contribute/help to us? He can shoot a 3's and have a perimeter J's. Is there any update on the Rockets summer league? about there standings/rank?

DontNOMuch
07-11-2008, 10:15 AM
The summer league for us starts today

Russjr2
07-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Do you gs think his age might play a factor this season? I dont think he will be the smae palyer he was 2-3 years ago. But still he his a way better option to backup TMAC then Head.

Last year he shot a better percentage than his career % numbers... SA used him as a one dimensional spot-up shooter. Adelman will allow him to move around more without the ball to get his shots. He is a very good passer and can handle the ball. He will fit perfect in our offense. He will be what we always HOPED luther would be when he came off the bench. T-Mac and Yao will trust him becasue he is a vet and is proven in the league. We could have Barry, B-Jax, T-Mac, Scola, and Yao on the floor. 5 scorers on the floor.

Tmac to da rack
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Wait a damn minute, you people actually still want to sign James Posey?? LOL why would we need another wing player????

Pg- Rafer/Bjax/Francis/Brooks
Sg- Tmac/Barry/Head
SF-Battier/Greene/Novak
PF-Scola/Hayes/Dorsey
C-Yao/Deke
Now you tell me, do we need to resign Carl Landry or James Posey?????
We already have our guards rotation set up, no room for Posey, so everyone Stop wishing for Posey because unless you want to develop Greene then theres no room for Posey, Plus he already said he was going to resign with Celtics, Lets concentrate on Signing what we need, and thats Carl Landry, then forget the summer leagues because we already have our 15 guys, 16 if we get Carl Landry Back.

Russjr2
07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Wait a damn minute, you people actually still want to sign James Posey?? LOL why would we need another wing player????

Sg- Tmac/Barry/Head
SF-Battier/Greene/Novak
PF-Scola/Hayes/Dorsey
C-Yao/Deke
We already have our guards rotation set up, no room for Posey, so everyone Stop wishing for Posey because unless you want to develop Greene then theres no room for Posey, Plus he already said he was going to resign with Celtics, Lets concentrate on Signing what we need, and thats Carl Landry, then forget the summer leagues because we already have our 15 guys, 16 if we get Carl Landry Back.

We can't forget summer league just yet... Summer league may indicate if we can move players like Head, Novak, Hayes, Harris and Francis. If Greene and Dorsey play consistently well, that may mean Hayes and Novak are gonners. Barry just put Head and Novak on notice....

Willy T Justice
07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Remember BARRY only played in 31 games last year and he is only a backup. you can have him

mightybosstone
07-11-2008, 01:13 PM

Sg- Tmac/Barry/Head
SF-Battier/Greene/Novak
PF-Scola/Hayes/Dorsey
C-Yao/Deke

Posey's a SF last time I checked and we seriously lack depth at that position. I seriously doubt we can count on Greene or Novak to log big minutes and a veteran presence is always welcome. I'd rather have Posey than Landry, to be honest with you.

bbinthepark
07-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Posey's a SF last time I checked and we seriously lack depth at that position. I seriously doubt we can count on Greene or Novak to log big minutes and a veteran presence is always welcome. I'd rather have Posey than Landry, to be honest with you.

i agree that we can't count on greene, but he will get SOME minutes and tmac will be playing some 3 to allow minutes for alston, brooks & barry. landry was downright dominant at times last season... forget about posey, landry is our guy.

good combos:

alston, mcgrady, battier, scola, yao

alston, barry, mcgrady, landry, scola

brooks, barry, battier, landry, yao

we have a solid 8 man rotation with at least two good passers, two shooters and two inside players on the court at all times.

Manos
07-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Remember BARRY only played in 31 games last year and he is only a backup. you can have him

Sweet, now that Barry is out of the way Phoenix can concentrate on trying to sign some real contributors like Miles and Lue!

mightybosstone
07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
i agree that we can't count on greene, but he will get SOME minutes and tmac will be playing some 3 to allow minutes for alston, brooks & barry. landry was downright dominant at times last season... forget about posey, landry is our guy.

good combos:

alston, mcgrady, battier, scola, yao

alston, barry, mcgrady, landry, scola

brooks, barry, battier, landry, yao

we have a solid 8 man rotation with at least two good passers, two shooters and two inside players on the court at all times.

But we have 4 solid options at PF counting Dorsey (3 otherwise) and no not a single decent backup for Battier. Its possible McGrady could see some time at SF if we wanted him and Barry on the floor at the same time, but I still think this team needs a legit backup SF.

richardle9
07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
go to the rockets site http://www.nba.com/rockets/index_main.html it shows a picture of Barry in a Rockets uniform
when was he a rocket? or is did they just photoshop a rockets jersey on him?

G2BOAT
07-11-2008, 06:06 PM
go to the rockets site http://www.nba.com/rockets/index_main.html it shows a picture of Barry in a Rockets uniform
when was he a rocket? or is did they just photoshop a rockets jersey on him?

That's a photoshop. He was never a Houston Rocket before.

DontNOMuch
07-11-2008, 06:19 PM
so P.S. haha

Rox07
07-11-2008, 08:56 PM
great add on to the team.

DreamShaker
07-12-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm really excited about this....an experienced winner who plays smart and can hit 3's like mad.....also can run the point and is a very good passer as well....

TMAC94
07-13-2008, 03:40 AM
woo!

Rhyming Rebel
07-13-2008, 04:35 AM
Barry will play some PG

yaowowrocket11
07-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Absolutely a great pick up by the Rockets. He was definitely one of my favorite available players in this 2008 Free Agent market.