PDA

View Full Version : Dunleavy: "Anything Elton ever wanted I did it for him" + More

Chronz
07-10-2008, 03:21 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-clippers10-2008jul10,0,2055853.story

"After I supposedly gave him a take-it-or-leave-it offer, we raised the offer to $75 million and $81 million. They can spin this thing any way they want to try and spin it. The bottom line is, anything Elton ever wanted I did it for him. They stopped having communication with us more than a week ago."

Theres more

``Things were said that are totally not true, they're used out of context as far as ultimatiums. The ultimatium that was made was whether to opt out or not opt out, not as far as a deal,'' Dunleavy said.

You can say, 'You know what? I changed my mind I want to go to the East Coast because my wife's family is there. Or it's easier to make the playoffs. Or I can be an All-Star in the East as opposed to the West.' But just say it we had a verbal deal and I just changed my mind.'

Straight from Dunleavy's mouth, thats exactly how we fans feel. We're fine with Elton leaving, he did us a great favor by providing us with someone to root for, for years but dont try and save face by making false accusations and acting like promises you made were never made in the first place.

From Bill Plashke:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke10-2008jul10,1,955397.column

Heck, he had already sold his Los Angeles house and ended this season living in an apartment.

The question is, why didn't he just say this?

Why didn't he just tell the Clippers he was leaving before they went through the charade of spending millions to buy him a point guard accompaniment?

Why on earth would he tell Dunleavy he would take less money if it enabled them to sign Baron Davis?

Why would he do this to Baron Davis?

"We were left with an ultimatum," Brand said of the Clippers.

The Clippers deny it, and common sense confirms it.

The Clippers offered $70 million, then $75 million, then finally, $81 million, about $200,000 a year less than the 76ers' offer. That's an ultimatum?

"We asked for some things . . . it fell through," Brand said of the Clippers.

What more could he have wanted? A company car?

"There was no underground handshake between Baron Davis and myself, that's totally not true," Brand said.

Right. It was handshake between Brand and Dunleavy, the coach quietly brokering the return of a player he trusted.

Some say Falk was so angry that Brand had negotiated without him, he steered his client to the 76ers just to make the Clippers pay.

LAKERS 24/7
07-10-2008, 03:30 AM
wow, ineteresting stuff. maybe brand's not as great a guy as we all think.

Statik1
07-10-2008, 03:51 AM
Its a business and things change even though you might of made deals by word of the mouth but the guy wanted a chance to win in a easier conference so he had to what he had to do..... Maybe if the clippers would of improved along the way with him rather then waiting tell the last second he would of stayed...........

Chronz
07-10-2008, 04:01 AM
Its a business and things change even though you might of made deals by word of the mouth but the guy wanted a chance to win in a easier conference so he had to what he had to do..... Maybe if the clippers would of improved along the way with him rather then waiting tell the last second he would of stayed...........
Yes its a business and things change, if only Brand would come out and admit that. Instead he wants to hide behind his agent and false accusations.

Secondly, you obviously have no idea how things work financially. Its not like the Clippers can just sign anyone they want whenever they want. Every offseason theyve made huge efforts to improve the team, doing whatever possible to bring in more talent. Now they finally had the flexibility to sign some more help and they brought Brand a superstar. The guy he wanted and said he would be willing to take less to play with.

I wish Brand wouldve done what you said and just changed his mind, but he wont admit that. For whatever reason, maybe he wants to be known as a man of his word but all the evidence in the world suggests otherwise. Hes either not a man of his word, or his agent played him. Either way I lose respect for him, and so did many around the league.

richardle9
07-10-2008, 04:15 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - that is what it is all about
play ball, make money, coming home to the family and putting some chicken on the table

solelimited
07-10-2008, 04:26 AM
well. this tells u alot about what type of person he is.

SDBearsFan
07-10-2008, 04:33 AM
Yeah I used to be a Brand fan..and I genuinely feel bad for the Clippers now.

**** him.

broncofan703
07-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Thats not at all how I heard it

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3480691

Last week, Brand opted out of his contract with the Clippers, but Los Angeles was expected to make a strong push to re-sign him. Instead, he spurned the Clippers once agent David Falk said he was offered a "take it or leave it" contract on June 30. The deal was nearly $20 million less than what Brand signed for in Philadelphia.

"My intention was to try and work something out with the Clippers," Brand said.

Falk said the greater insult came when he was told that Clippers owner Donald Sterling said he would be happy with the 29-year-old Brand's decision either way.

It sure seems like the owner didn't make a strong push to get Brand and didn't care either way if Brand re-signed, and being the cornerstone of the franchise for 7 seasons now, I think he felt mistreated and went to a team that actually puts an effort into building a winning team. I believe Brand over anybody associated with the Clippers organization.

arlubas
07-10-2008, 05:41 AM
It sure seems like the owner didn't make a strong push to get Brand and didn't care either way if Brand re-signed, and being the cornerstone of the franchise for 7 seasons now, I think he felt mistreated and went to a team that actually puts an effort into building a winning team. I believe Brand over anybody associated with the Clippers organization.

Is that why he put his LA house up for sale on June 5? Cause back then he didn't even have an offer on the table by anyone. Sounds to me like he had made his mind up all along and just wanted to play the good guy until the last moment.

Gmen824
07-10-2008, 06:45 AM
hmm, interesting,

Chronz
07-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Thats not at all how I heard it

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3480691

Thats straight from the Agent though, of course they are going to do some damage control on the PR front. That bastard of an agent was allegedly the biggest instigator for both parties, whether Brand wanted it or not but he seemed like a totally different person on espn. Maybe this is the new image/era brand. If so good luck to him, Im interested in seeing how this plays out.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-10-2008, 08:34 AM
play ball, make money, coming home to the family and putting some chicken on the table

This is just a rediculous statement.

#1- He had an offer for 5 years/90 mil from Golden State...
He took 5 years/79.8 million dollars from the 76ers.

That's over 10 million dollars he left on the table.

Do you think it's about the money now?

#2- When he was getting interviewed by the 76ers media and 1 on 1 with Dei Lynum (One of the people on Comcastsportsnet), he clearly said that Baron told him to "Go take the money"
Meaning, go to a place you want to go, and have fun with yourself.

Why people are putting stuff in Barons mouth that he hates Elton now, and saying that Elton is selfish and wants the money, is uncalled for and you guys dont know what your talking about.

I'm just getting mad because people don't understand any of this and you guys shouldn't be talking if you don't know the facts :mad:

Knowledge
07-10-2008, 08:57 AM
This is just a rediculous statement.

#1- He had an offer for 5 years/90 mil from Golden State...
He took 5 years/79.8 million dollars from the 76ers.

That's over 10 million dollars he left on the table.

Do you think it's about the money now?

#2- When he was getting interviewed by the 76ers media and 1 on 1 with Dei Lynum (One of the people on Comcastsportsnet), he clearly said that Baron told him to "Go take the money"
Meaning, go to a place you want to go, and have fun with yourself.

Why people are putting stuff in Barons mouth that he hates Elton now, and saying that Elton is selfish and wants the money, is uncalled for and you guys dont know what your talking about.

I'm just getting mad because people don't understand any of this and you guys shouldn't be talking if you don't know the facts :mad:

I agree. Brand gave everything he had to Clips but they wouldn't even offer him a six year or the no trade clause.

BTW they were the only team that could offer him those benefits, so had they done that he probably would've stayed. If you wanna keep really talented players you have to commit to them longer than you would like to. Look at the Mets with Pedro and Johan, both guys wont be as effective toward the end of their deals, but the winning years they give you while performing well is worth it.

You cant get overconfident because a player says he wants to stay with you and then dare him to test the market. Most of the time the player will find a deal somewhere else.

Oh and I also heard Brand asked to speak with owner so they could resolve contract situation, but the owner basically said no to negotiating with Brand something along those lines.

TMAC94
07-10-2008, 09:18 AM

true dat

FOBolous
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Is that why he put his LA house up for sale on June 5? Cause back then he didn't even have an offer on the table by anyone. Sounds to me like he had made his mind up all along and just wanted to play the good guy until the last moment.

:clap:

Knowledge
07-10-2008, 09:56 AM

I could've sworn i heard he put one of his reidences in LA area for sale

http://www.bergproperties.com/blog/basketball-star-elton-brand-places-his-5471-square-foot-house-in-los-angeles-hollywood-hills-back-on-the-market-for-49985m/4213/celebrities

Brand owns several other properties, including a place at 942 S. Mansfield Avenue in Los Angeles that he purchased in August 2007 for $1,527,000, and a house in Peekskill, N.Y. that he has owned with his mother since 2002, according to public records.

he has houses everywhere. Why? Because rich people need a minimum 5 houses spread though out the country. He just didnt want that one house for whatever reason. he still had another one in LA so this proves nothing

flyinhawaiian
07-10-2008, 10:43 AM
"Golden State did offer more [a reported $90 million], and working with David [Falk], I'm sure it could have even gotten higher," said Brand, 29. "I coined a term - David, Ed and I-'Philly Max.'

"They gave everything they could. Another team I passed on didn't come close to that. Just having the fact they believed in me and wanted to give me everything they could, even though it was less, that [hit] home with me. Made me say, 'Hey, that's the kind of people I want to work for, work with.' "

As it got close, the buzz spread through the Sixers' players.

"Andre Iguodala said, 'If it's right [about] the guy you've got, this is very, very exciting,' " Stefanski said. "Willie Green told [assistant GM] Tony DiLeo, 'I'm going to run to the gym right now.' "

Brand knows there is controversy and consternation in Los Angeles. He believes it is terribly misplaced.

"Whatever they're feeling today, it will definitely change tomorrow, once they know the facts," he said. "[They'll know] Elton is who he was, it's not basically on him as it was perceived through so-called leaks."

He said there was never any "underground handshake" with Baron Davis, who left the Warriors to sign with the Clippers. He said he never had a deal with the Clippers. Falk said the Clippers made an initial offer ($70 million) and, through coach Mike Dunleavy, explained "the owner [Donald Sterling] really wasn't comfortable making the offer, and that if Elton turned the offer down the owner would be just as happy."

"They basically told us the owner was unavailable to discuss the offer any further and that it was basically either accept it or don't," Falk said.

Brand and Falk chose not to accept, then looked around for alternatives. And there was Stefanski, who had been courting Atlanta's restricted free agent Josh Smith, taking the young forward on a whirlwind tour of the Wachovia Center and the city, even to lunch with Mayor Nutter. The Sixers didn't have enough money to make Brand an acceptable offer. Falk suggested they find a way to raise the ante. They did.

When free agency began, the Sixers had about $11.5 million in cap space. When they presented their best offer to Brand, the salary started at slightly more than $14 million.

"Today, the Clippers announced an offer of $82 million," Falk said. "Why didn't they offer $82 million on June 30, and they could have pre-empted the whole deal."

Falk scoffed at reports that, because the Clippers had renounced Brand, they could not have offered more than 5 years.

"He was their player," Falk said. "They could have given their own player a sixth year. They could have gotten close to $100 million. It's all a matter that you have a chance to make a statement with your first offer. They elected to make an offer of $70 million, which wasn't enough to close the deal . . . Some people say timing is everything."

Through all of this, Stefanski had to protect himself. If he had simply waited for Brand, he knew there was a chance he could end up with nothing. When opportunity knocked, Stefanski all but kicked the door in.

"At the beginning, [the Clippers] gave us an ultimatum," Brand said. "David got on the job. He's a very strong-willed person. He said, 'Elton, you've done enough. I'll present you with all the offers when I've seen them all.'

"When it got close, when the [Clippers'] owner became available, when they wanted to [improve] the deal, it was kind of too late. We had a commitment."

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080710_Elton_Brand_accepts_5-year__82_million_deal_from_Sixers.html

Ragun
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
i feel bad for you guys...but al Thornton is going to be huge next year for the clippers. you can mark my words.

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 01:38 PM
elton brand has lost a lot of respect from a lot of people. thats all it comes down to

Samsin
07-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Elton likes it when you talk dirty to him Mr. Dunleavy

Chronz
07-10-2008, 03:47 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080710_Elton_Brand_accepts_5-year__82_million_deal_from_Sixers.html
Thats old news man

Brand is a smart man, there was no handshake deal, just a bunch of text messages between the 2 recruiting him and telling Dunleavy that he would be willing to resign for less for the chance to play alongside another star. What a load of crap that was, and oh yes the alleged take it or leave it deal that never happened. They were willing to give Brand whatever he wanted, but he said they werent showing enough love. They said the owner couldnt be reached and that he would be willing to lose Brand, if that was true then why did he go out of his way to renounce EVERY free agent he had, he couldnt even sign and trade Maggette to get something in return because they were clearing CAP space for Brand. Yet somehow we're suppose to believe Sterling was OK with Brand leaving. For a guy whos desperately trying to find a replacement for Brand with the very same money he doesnt seem OK.

Falk is the guy who put all that bull**** into Brands head and he bought it. Then Brand gets his agent and starts getting Philly to pull some strings and clear out money to sign him. With every move they make its more obvious that money did indeed play a bigger role that Elton is letting on. What would Elton have done if the Twolves rejected that offer, would he have signed with Golden State?

Ive never heard of a free agent being able to get more than the CAP once his his rights have been officially renounced, Ill look into that one but I never knew that little factoid if true. Either way once again it was more money excuses for Brand, and here I thought he was about the team.

Too late, yea Brand, about 1 year too late, he had his eyes set on leaving from the beginning.

Chronz
07-10-2008, 04:14 PM
More info on the subject, what Brand wanted that was ultimately the deal breaker was a 6th year on his contract, one that he couldnt get from anyone else but the Clippers. So Brand wanted the Clips to bend over backwards while giving to handjobs in the process, screw him then.

Dark Donnie
07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Brand got you guys Baron Davis:)

Both sides could be lying for all we know....

Chronz
07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
True, its never going to be resolved but the Clippers actions suggest that common sense is on their side. All of the **** coming from Brands crap sounds like BS to me, and I see no reason why Dunleavy would say those things if they werent true. Hes old, old guys never lie.

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 04:35 PM
how do you know it was a 6th year? any news on that?

BigDaddyKaine
07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah I used to be a Brand fan..and I genuinely feel bad for the Clippers now.

**** him.

agree... and im a laker fan and feel kinda bad for them

TheBatchelor213
07-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Flat out, he is a liar and played us.

united41290
07-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Flat out, he is a liar and played us.

No , he took an offer from a team that doesnt suck. He was a free agent he can sign wherever the hell he wants.

dre1990
07-10-2008, 04:54 PM
he's a good guy... just made an ******* move

TheBatchelor213
07-10-2008, 05:00 PM
No , he took an offer from a team that doesnt suck. He was a free agent he can sign wherever the hell he wants.

So him saying he was going to take less cheese for us to add depth to the team and saying he could not reach Sterling, thats just all fun and games?

fresh prince
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Dunleavy's on espn radio right now..He's pretty heated

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/710espn/story?id=listenlive

Dunleavy says Elton texted him Baron Davis and many other players on the Clippers saying.. "IM in..lets go!"

But Falk was pissed because EB basically made a verbal deal with the Clipps..without him

Damm Elton..

TheBatchelor213
07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Dunleavy's on espn radio right now..He's pretty heated

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/710espn/story?id=listenlive

Dunleavy says Elton texted him Baron Davis and many other players on the Clippers saying.. "IM in..lets go!"

But Falk was pissed because EB basically made a verbal deal with the Clipps..without him

Damm Elton..

Just further proves, Elton is two faced.

Cracka2HI!
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Dunleavy certainly feels he had a deal from Brand, they did everything to meet his every demand and that Brand wouldn't return HIS phonecalls. Knowing the kind of competetor Dunleavy is I'm sure he was doing he everything he could to get in touch with Brand and Faulk.

Reezy
07-10-2008, 05:21 PM
^Chill out, son.

fresh prince
07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Just further proves, Elton is two faced.

I think its more with Falk..Elton's agent..He just came on the radio and contradicted everything that Elton was saying..They are both 2 faced..Anyways it's done.. Best of Luck to EB in Philly and hopefully the Clips can land Okafor or Smith..

_Sn1P3r_
07-10-2008, 05:35 PM
This is kind of sad. I posted in another thread that he wouldn't pull a Boozer because he was a class act. He shut me up.

1-800-STFU
07-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Agent sounds like a complete dick. Still Brand's fault even if the agent was behind it. Speak up for yourself!

kylem4711
07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Agent sounds like a complete dick. Still Brand's fault even if the agent was behind it. Speak up for yourself!

thats the truth

Cadarn
07-10-2008, 08:46 PM

as more and more facts come out he just looks like more of a scum bag

BigEric
07-10-2008, 08:48 PM

I like chicken!

Chronz
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM

Your both right, hes a free agent who did what was best for him, but he still played the Clippers.

BADizzleBoY
07-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Elton did what REAL players do. He had a better chance of winning if he went to the sixers. Who cares about any of the other things. Davis and him are still good friends, I'm sure. Dunleavy is mad obviously. But someone show me an article that shows me that davis and brand have a feud and I'll believe it. Until then stop with the whole "Baron and Brand aren't buddies anymore".

Chronz
07-10-2008, 11:03 PM
how do you know it was a 6th year? any news on that?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Brand-Clippers-080710

Falk said the Clippers never played their hole card: the sixth year they could have added on to their offer.
Thats what I took it as, but it couldve been the NTC too.

NYK
07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Elton let the Clippers down

Rhyming Rebel
07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
wow, ineteresting stuff. maybe brand's not as great a guy as we all think.

the man had his reasons

BADizzleBoY
07-10-2008, 11:22 PM
/\ thankyou.

LakerzDQ
07-10-2008, 11:24 PM
poor mike dunleavy. he's a decent coach, but his team has been letting him down.

Chronz
07-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Elton did what REAL players do. He had a better chance of winning if he went to the sixers. Who cares about any of the other things. Davis and him are still good friends, I'm sure. Dunleavy is mad obviously. But someone show me an article that shows me that davis and brand have a feud and I'll believe it. Until then stop with the whole "Baron and Brand aren't buddies anymore".

Thats true, the moment has passed already, but Elton seems to care about it. Hes not liking how hes being portrayed throughout all this, thats why he reiterated the point that Faulk is the best agent in the business. Hes making sure all the leaks that went out are accounted for.

Ender
07-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Philly closer to home: CHECK!

Better offer/ more $$$ than LA: CHECK!

Philly better chance of winning: CHECK!

What FA player wouldn't have made the same move? Is Elton Brand the first pro athlete to MAYBE have said one thing then done another? 7 years with the Clippers is like NBA dog years. 7 in LAC = 49 in, say, Boston.

The guy had a right to do whatever he wanted and so did it. Hurt feelings suck, but the NBA is a business. Get used to it.

EDIT: And what has Mike Dunleavey done to merit all this sympathy?

Tony_Starks
07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
He has a better chance in Philly? F- Outta here with that, has anyone seen their team lately? Are they better than Detroit?No Cleveland?No Torronto(w/OnealANDBosh)?No Hell...now that the Bucks have RJ, Redd plus a top rookie I doubt they're even better than them! With BD,Brand, Kaman, Thorton, Mobley PLUS their Baller of a draft pick they easily could have been 3rd best in the west.

Brand is a greedy, lying, and worst of all GULLABLE Jerk! His agent is the real life incarnation of Bob Sugar(Jerry McGuire's Nemesis) and he played him, plain and simple. They wouldn't even return the Clippers calls for over a week while they worked up the Philly deal.

Also is anyone aware that the reason he opted out in the first place is that his agent wanted them to give him a $120MILLION CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is fresh off a knee surgery, mind you. WTF? So they told him to go fish, wouldn't you?

Ender
07-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Were you in the room when the phone calls were made or not made? Did David Falk consult you on the contract? Unless the answer to both of those questions is, "yes", then you truly have no idea what actually went down. Most likely, there is a kernel of truth coming from both sides in an effort to cover their own @$$es. I would expect nothing less.

And yes, Philly has a better, longer history of winning. And our team, as presently constituted looks like a #3-4 seed in 09 and a pure shooter away from being an Eastern Conferecne contender.

We took DET to 6 tough games and were a ridiculous Gilbert Arenas shot from being the #4 seed and maybe winning a home playoff series. But that's neither here nor there, it was what it was.

But Brand, Igoudala, Andre Miller, Sam Dalembert and Thad Young is awful athletic, awfully quick and reasonably young. The bench gets deeper (Lou Williams, Jason Smith, etc.) and all of the young guys now have a playoff series under their blts.

The Clippers do now, have in the past, and likely always will, suck.

kylem4711
07-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Philly closer to home: CHECK!

Better offer/ more $$$ than LA: CHECK!

Philly better chance of winning: CHECK!

What FA player wouldn't have made the same move? Is Elton Brand the first pro athlete to MAYBE have said one thing then done another? 7 years with the Clippers is like NBA dog years. 7 in LAC = 49 in, say, Boston.

The guy had a right to do whatever he wanted and so did it. Hurt feelings suck, but the NBA is a business. Get used to it.

EDIT: And what has Mike Dunleavey done to merit all this sympathy?

huh?

its closer to his wifes family, ill giv eyou that.

elton took 79 and the clips were gonna give 71, how is that a better contract?

a better chance of winning? um not really, they do have an easier entry into the playoffs though. does not mean they are going to win a ship

kylem4711
07-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Were you in the room when the phone calls were made or not made? Did David Falk consult you on the contract? Unless the answer to both of those questions is, "yes", then you truly have no idea what actually went down. Most likely, there is a kernel of truth coming from both sides in an effort to cover their own @$$es. I would expect nothing less.

And yes, Philly has a better, longer history of winning. And our team, as presently constituted looks like a #3-4 seed in 09 and a pure shooter away from being an Eastern Conferecne contender.

We took DET to 6 tough games and were a ridiculous Gilbert Arenas shot from being the #4 seed and maybe winning a home playoff series. But that's neither here nor there, it was what it was.

But Brand, Igoudala, Andre Miller, Sam Dalembert and Thad Young is awful athletic, awfully quick and reasonably young. The bench gets deeper (Lou Williams, Jason Smith, etc.) and all of the young guys now have a playoff series under their blts.

thats a deep bench? yikes

you guys got hot, there is no disputing that. you guys weren't really that good tho. 40-42 record? thats not much to gloat about. i say you guys are a 5th seed and get knocked out in the first or sec round.

you will probably just talk this as me talking ****, but phili stlll needs a couple more players to be considered a threat

Tony_Starks
07-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow, a delusional Philly fan aye? Clippers always sucked you say? Last I checked they were in the conference finals 3 years back all the way to game 7 while Philly hasn't even sniffed the second round since....since..... Oh yeah! When LA beat them in the finals.

As far as you thinking the present team is 3rd/4th best that was genuinely funny, I'll give you that. After all your woulda coulda scenarious that you basked in you seemed to forget the fact that they were a team that totally overachieved last year and was lucky to get in the playoffs and steal a couple of games from a uninspired Piston team. But who could blame them, they were playing Philly!

Newsflash: Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Washington, and Oh yeah the team that received the #1 draft pick THE BULLS are, as we sit, better than your beloved Sixers.

But you are right, I wasn't in the room on the negotiations.

Ender
07-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Deep-ER. Deep-ER bench. Don't cherry pick then misrepresent what I'm saying. I did not say we have Kevin McHale.

And last I checked 79 (actually 85) was more than 71. So... better contract.

Ask anyone who now their stuff and they will tell you the 76ers are one of the 3 most athletic teams in the league. And it is PRECISELY because they are in the East that they have a better chance of reaching the playoffs and advancing. It's not my fault the East is weaker than the West.

And it's laughable to pit the Clips tradition of winning against the Sixers. There is not an argument to be made. We've had a couple of down years, but once we stopped trying every player in the league to run with Iverson and be a 2nd option (HINT: The person that can play with AI does NOT exist) and committed to a team style under Mo Cheeks, they have, at times, flourished.

They finished strong in 06 after the trade, and after a lousy start last year had one of the best 2nd half records in the NBA. I'm not making this stuff up. They actually did it. It was on TV.

However, our lack of depth was badly exposed in the last half-dozen games (where they SHOULD have locked up a 3 or 4 seed) and the knife driven in by a veteran Pistons squad.

But there is absolutely no doubt; the 76ers future is brighter than the Clippers. Brand is no dummy.

Gorgon2k
07-11-2008, 12:17 PM
He has a better chance in Philly? F- Outta here with that, has anyone seen their team lately? Are they better than Detroit?No Cleveland?No Torronto(w/OnealANDBosh)?No Hell...now that the Bucks have RJ, Redd plus a top rookie I doubt they're even better than them! With BD,Brand, Kaman, Thorton, Mobley PLUS their Baller of a draft pick they easily could have been 3rd best in the west.

Brand is a greedy, lying, and worst of all GULLABLE Jerk! His agent is the real life incarnation of Bob Sugar(Jerry McGuire's Nemesis) and he played him, plain and simple. They wouldn't even return the Clippers calls for over a week while they worked up the Philly deal.

Also is anyone aware that the reason he opted out in the first place is that his agent wanted them to give him a $120MILLION CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is fresh off a knee surgery, mind you. WTF? So they told him to go fish, wouldn't you?

well there goes any legit points you have out the window... Siiiiiighh you have so much to say and don't even know his injury

ackar
07-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Geez!!!

I do noot get fans at all.

Sports franchise have hardly ever show loyalty or deal on the up and up with players. But when a player pulls a Boozer, the team whines the fan whines. Geez it is how the game is played it is a business.

Brand or any other player nor a franchise needs to justify why they changed their minds on averbal agreement or a wink and nod deal that just how it is.

Also it happens to everyday people all the time too. you know it has a company offers you the job then changes their mind for vairous reason it is life.

It does not make someone shady or a turd it just how the cookie crumbles.

Tony_Starks
07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
well there goes any legit points you have out the window... Siiiiiighh you have so much to say and don't even know his injury

Pardon me Mr Stern, I meant achilles injury(which is waaaaaaaaaay more damn serious FYI). Im at work typing fast factchecker. I suggest you read the rest of the post partna, theres a whole lotta truth in there but then again the truth hurts especially if your a Sixer fan.

BADizzleBoY
07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Geez!!!

I do noot get fans at all.

Sports franchise have hardly ever show loyalty or deal on the up and up with players. But when a player pulls a Boozer, the team whines the fan whines. Geez it is how the game is played it is a business.

Brand or any other player nor a franchise needs to justify why they changed their minds on averbal agreement or a wink and nod deal that just how it is.

Also it happens to everyday people all the time too. you know it has a company offers you the job then changes their mind for vairous reason it is life.

It does not make someone shady or a turd it just how the cookie crumbles.

:nod: :clap:

Liney3506
07-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Wow, a delusional Philly fan aye? Clippers always sucked you say? Last I checked they were in the conference finals 3 years back all the way to game 7 while Philly hasn't even sniffed the second round since....since..... Oh yeah! When LA beat them in the finals.

As far as you thinking the present team is 3rd/4th best that was genuinely funny, I'll give you that. After all your woulda coulda scenarious that you basked in you seemed to forget the fact that they were a team that totally overachieved last year and was lucky to get in the playoffs and steal a couple of games from a uninspired Piston team. But who could blame them, they were playing Philly!

Newsflash: Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Washington, and Oh yeah the team that received the #1 draft pick THE BULLS are, as we sit, better than your beloved Sixers.

But you are right, I wasn't in the room on the negotiations.

Correction, you guys were in the conference semi-finals. And in all fairness, the Grizzlies were better than you guys that year, and the West wasn't the powerhouse it is now. Stop ballooning your team to be greater than what it was. Where are you guys now? Crying in a corner?

Wait a second... how many games did you win last year? 23? Nice. No Maggette. No Brand. And now possibly no Baron. Nice team.

At least we've made an NBA Finals in recent memory... the closest you ever got to a Finals in Clipperland is when you decided to root on the Lakers, because it was the cool thing to do.

Tony_Starks
07-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Correction, you guys were in the conference semi-finals. And in all fairness, the Grizzlies were better than you guys that year, and the West wasn't the powerhouse it is now. Stop ballooning your team to be greater than what it was. Where are you guys now? Crying in a corner?

Wait a second... how many games did you win last year? 23? Nice. No Maggette. No Brand. And now possibly no Baron. Nice team.

At least we've made an NBA Finals in recent memory... the closest you ever got to a Finals in Clipperland is when you decided to root on the Lakers, because it was the cool thing to do.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Im not a Clipper fan pal, just stating the obvious. Grizz didn't get out the first round that year so they were better? Ok. Baron Davis signed a multi year contract with the Clippers this week its on Espn, you should check it out! They are also in talks of signing J Smith from ATL with the $$$ they now have to throw around. When you throw in Kaman, Thorton and their draft pick I doubt they will be crying anytime soon.

Face it man, the Sixers haven't been relevant since AI stepped over Tyron Lue. I also hate to break it to the loyal Philly fans who by the way have a garbage attendance record, there's no gaurantee that the other AI will be around too much longer so enjoy Brand and a another 1st round knowckout, if you're lucky.

Beno7500
07-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Dunleavy needs to shut up

BADizzleBoY
07-11-2008, 03:40 PM
dunleavy bugs me.

OBredskin
07-11-2008, 03:58 PM
well. this tells u alot about what type of person he is.

Yeah it does tell us something...he's not perfect. I think we all agree that Brand didn't handle this the way we would've accepted, but when is life so gracious. Brand is a human being and no different than any of us. The problem is that we are so judgemental of others we fail to realize that it is more common for someone to weasel out (if that is what he really did) than be a man of transperency and void of mistakes. He most likely went back on his world and that is what happens in this world, you should expect people to weasel out and hope that people would just do the "right" thing all the time.

Anon
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM
The whole thing is overrated. First and foremost basketball is a business. Gentleman's agreements do not count for anything. Brand wanted to go to Philly, Brand went to Philly. Suck for Clippers Fan but you gotta let it go.

Ender
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but Im not a Clipper fan pal, just stating the obvious. Grizz didn't get out the first round that year so they were better? Ok. Baron Davis signed a multi year contract with the Clippers this week its on Espn, you should check it out! They are also in talks of signing J Smith from ATL with the $$$ they now have to throw around. When you throw in Kaman, Thorton and their draft pick I doubt they will be crying anytime soon.

Face it man, the Sixers haven't been relevant since AI stepped over Tyron Lue. I also hate to break it to the loyal Philly fans who by the way have a garbage attendance record, there's no gaurantee that the other AI will be around too much longer so enjoy Brand and a another 1st round knowckout, if you're lucky.

No one in Philly gives a rat's @$$ about the Clippers, other than signing away your best player. And yeah, we KNOW we haven't been relevant since getting to the 00-01 Finals. THAT'S why teams do thing like sign on of theonly 5 guys in the last 25 yrs. to avg. 20 & 10.

Duh.

And the Wachovia Center was sold out just about every home game for 10 years with AI in town. His last irrelevant, washout year with C-Webb and the Dreadfonics was down as was most of last year when their record was crap.

Funny though, once they started playing team ball, buying into Mo Cheek's system, running the floor and winning attendance rose again. Why would anyone go see a boring team with AI dribbling for 23 seconds then shooting or passing off?

Chronz
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Of course but you have to take sides with the most logical conclusions. Lets see Brand is saying the owner could care less if he resigned and couldnt be reached and saying Dunleavy came at them with a take it or leave it deal, oh yea and he didnt recruit Baron(All Lies). Dunleavy says they did everything Brand wanted, says he has several texts from the 2 of them saying they were both on board with sacrificing for the greater good. They renounced most of their free agents (Brand included) in order to do so, says Faulk cut the lines of communication (Its widely known Faulk has hated the Clippers from day 1), their negotiating style shows no evidence of a take it or leave it deal. Brand says he didnt feel loved but thats his prerogative. All in all, the signs point to the Clippers telling the truth and Brand lip-synching everything his agent said. I heard his exit interview in LA and the guy just sounded clueless as to what the Clippers were offering him, he didnt even know they bumped their offer up to 80 Mill at that point. Yet another sign of the lines being cut.

I understand your a Sixer fan but open your eyes, Brand has every right to choose you guys, but he cant it both ways. And quite frankly the more he denies any of this ever happened the more respect he loses.

Why would Dunleavy lie about this stuff, hes never been one to make excuses or take sides with management over his players. Brand has nothing but respect for Dunleavy and has loved him to a fault, so much so that he gave hints of leaving if Dunleavy was not brought back.

Agreed

Still wouldnt have been a better team than the Clippers with Baron+Brand in their first year, but yea the future looks pretty good.

Not likely, ownership has shown a commitment to winning, things have changed.

Tony_Starks
07-11-2008, 05:37 PM
^^^^^^

Nice to see that somebody else gets it man. Dunleavy didn't even diss Brand he said what really went down and to any reasonable person the Clipps side of the story makes sense. Baron Davis himself said that EB was texting him trying to get him there and he figured Brand was going to leave when he "stopped answering text and shut his phone off." Dunleavy said it best, all EB did was give his word he could've just admitted that he changed his mind, thought Philly was a better situation and be a man about it. But he didn't, he chose to hide behind his agent Terrel Owens style.

Also does anyone else remember Brand and his agents comments when he opted out? They said it was to give them some flexibility to be able to not only sign Brand but another quality player! Funny how nobody mentions that. They signed a allstar PG and offered him a fat multi year deal so who's the bad guy?

Now will Philly be a nice exciting young team that could make a lil noise in the East? Sure. But so will Atlanta, so will Orlando, and Chi-town so whats the big deal?

Chronz
07-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Im listening to Dunleavy's interview, and plan on listening to Eltons rebuttle. Lets see if he says the same thing Philly fans are saying.

Chronz
07-11-2008, 05:45 PM
What a surprise no real response, just more Faulk talk and the Philly Max.

Another reason why Im going with Dunleavy over Brand is because hes PRECISE with his accusations ETO, NTC anything Brand wanted, meanwhile Brand gos we asked for some "THINGS".

Seems to me if its something precise you should be able to say what it was you wanted that you didnt get from LA. It definitely wasnt love as he said.

Brand told his coach 75Million was fine, pay me 15 million a year and bring me some help. LIAR, admit you changed your mind so I could still respect you.

EDIT:
Now Im listening to Falk and his argument is full of contradictions. What sucks is that he expected the Clipper to go above and beyond every team in the league, but then what happens to playing for less to play with more talent. Hes a shark no doubt about it, and he claims Dunleavy and him are "friends".

All this **** about Brand taking less was bull**** he wanted the max from LA, the fact that he took Philly doesnt prove it wasnt about the money it proves hes not an idiot that doesnt care about winning. Since when is taking 15 Million a year such a disgrace to Brand, when its only maybe a million less than Philly offered. In Philly's case it was the MOST they could offer, whereas the Clippers had to bend over backward in order to retain Brand. Im glad hes gone now

Ender
07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Brand wanted a 6th year, Clips didn't offer it. Philly jumped in. Happens every day in sports and business. By all accounts Brand is a good guy. Was this handled as well as it could have been? Obviously not. But there was something that made him come here; young team, weaker conference, a wheel barrow full of $1000 bills... I don't care. He's here, you lost him. I know it sucks but... whaddyagonna do?

Chronz
07-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Philly jumped and couldnt offer a 6th year either, he had his minds set on leaving the entire time. It was never about the money, respect, or the kwan (What did jerry mcguire's client call it), it was strictly personal. Philly was a great move and one I hope pays off (Not really but I dont wish ill on Brand the way I did when this whole mess first started) Im just glad the truth came out and we can now move on.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-12-2008, 12:05 AM
I think both sides are to blame. The Clippers should not have low balled their star player. You cant take a gamble like that. What were they going to use the money on anyways? They should have done as much as they could to make him feel wanted if they really wanted him. These stars now a days are too sensitive and if they feel disrespected they are likely to bolt.

Elton Brand if definitely lying. You could here it in Dunleveys voice how he felt betrayed. I could here his pain. When I heard EB'S interview it sounded like a lot of cover up. I think he did say he wanted those terms but then changed his mind. The Clippers got him those terms but then he changed his mind. He did not want to seem like a guy who goes back on his word cause he has a reputation to uphold. But he took the easy way out. Instead of him thanking the Clippers. He tried to blame them. Its a chicken way out. He figured most people would look at the Clippers track record and they would assume he was telling the truth. But the Clippers are not that way anymore. They have payed their players with big extensions and gone after big free agents. They did try to low ball Brand but were willing to move up and match any offer that was out there.

In the end. Brand did not break a contract. He wanted to play in the east. He tried to go east 4 years ago to Miami but the Clippers blocked that. I dont think he wanted to be with them anymore. Thats fine. But he should have just said that from the get go and none of this would be an issue.

arlubas
07-12-2008, 07:08 AM
I think both sides are to blame. The Clippers should not have low balled their star player. You cant take a gamble like that. What were they going to use the money on anyways? They should have done as much as they could to make him feel wanted if they really wanted him. These stars now a days are too sensitive and if they feel disrespected they are likely to bolt.
The thing is, I don't think Brand wanted to stay even if the Clipps offered him more money than Philly. He just seems to me like a man that had made up his mind long ago and was just afraid of the media backlash of him backing off his words so he played it the way it went down.

In the end. Brand did not break a contract. He wanted to play in the east. He tried to go east 4 years ago to Miami but the Clippers blocked that. I dont think he wanted to be with them anymore. Thats fine. But he should have just said that from the get go and none of this would be an issue.
The above quote sums up the whole EB in LA era perfectly imo. Still he was very proffessional about it and played as well as he could for these 4 years but it was time for him to go. If he played this the way he should've from the get go I seriously wouldn't have had any bad feelings for him.

DenButsu
07-12-2008, 08:15 AM
I agree. Brand gave everything he had to Clips but they wouldn't even offer him a six year or the no trade clause.

A no trade clause? That's a pretty reasonable request, commonly granted to star players in the NBA.

Oh, by the way, can you show me a list of all the players who have no trade clauses?

Knowledge
07-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Did anyone else notice that dunleavy said he asked for 75 mil and they offered 70 mil. why would they not just give him the 75 he asked for in the beginning. They could have given 6th year and no trade clause too, but he asked for 75.

Knowledge
07-12-2008, 08:18 AM
A no trade clause? That's a pretty reasonable request, commonly granted to star players in the NBA.

Oh, by the way, can you show me a list of all the players who have no trade clauses?

the reason only Kobe has it is because you have to meet the requirements which Brand did. You cant just get one. I think it goes like you have to be with a team for 6 years and have to be a free agent. If you just get a extension or are a restricted free agent you dont qualify. Most guys either get extensions or leave team before they have qualified service time.

You probably didnt know that but im happy to educated that sarcastic remark :)

DenButsu
07-12-2008, 08:28 AM
the reason only Kobe has it is because you have to meet the requirements which Brand did. You cant just get one. I think it goes like you have to be with a team for 6 years and have to be a free agent. If you just get a extension or are a restricted free agent you dont qualify. Most guys either get extensions or leave team before they have qualified service time.

You probably didnt know that but im happy to educated that sarcastic remark :)

You probably have absolutely no clue what I do and don't know... :rolleyes:

But if you think that the limited number of players who actually qualify is the reason why nobody (spare Kobe) has no trade clauses, then I'm afraid it's you who's mistaken. Because it's really no more complicated than: Teams don't want to do it, so they don't.

And after what Kobe pulled last summer, don't expect any teams to be having a change of heart anytime soon, either.

Knowledge
07-12-2008, 08:53 AM
You probably have absolutely no clue what I do and don't know... :rolleyes:

But if you think that the limited number of players who actually qualify is the reason why nobody (spare Kobe) has no trade clauses, then I'm afraid it's you who's mistaken. Because it's really no more complicated than: Teams don't want to do it, so they don't.

And after what Kobe pulled last summer, don't expect any teams to be having a change of heart anytime soon, either.

oh, i know that you dont know that i know what you dont know. ;)

Im not saying he wanted it or that he deserved it or that he was was even asking for those types of options , but he did mention a early termination clause and said things like swayed him from Clips.

I believe Dunleavy about him wanting Baron and texting teammates and i believe Brand about wanting to stay. If he truly wanted to leave he would've done so years early when he was on team that didnt contend year after year. He wouldn't just leave when he finally got another good player along side him. he could've demanded a trade out of their, but he stuck with that franchise through thick and thin.

I think it was as simple as clauses in the contract, not money. Truth be told our Gm even admitted that he didnt think Elton was possibly and was looking at J. Smith.

Cadarn
07-12-2008, 05:49 PM
brand is scum

McPeak92
07-12-2008, 07:37 PM
you guys are hilarious

"oh noz elton brandz left to a team that wanted him more! hes scumz because he likez to be near his family and feel wanted!"

arlubas
07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
you guys are hilarious

"oh noz elton brandz left to a team that wanted him more! hes scumz because he likez to be near his family and feel wanted!"

If anyone is hillarious here it's you who comes into this thread thinking people cry over nothing when in reality a) no one is crying and b) Brand handled this like a little girl hiding behind his agent when things got ugly. So until you get your facts straight and learn the whole story, please don't call out anyone else. K, bye now...

stevefrancis
07-12-2008, 08:06 PM
whats funny is he said how the sixers offered everything they had while the warriors didn't. the warriors offered him 100 million dollars which is worth way more than he is. only lebron and kobe should be getting over 100 million. kg and duncan are exceptions because of they're ages. there has to be something that we don't know that made brand leave.

NastyRud
07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Thats straight from the Agent though, of course they are going to do some damage control on the PR front. That bastard of an agent was allegedly the biggest instigator for both parties, whether Brand wanted it or not but he seemed like a totally different person on espn. Maybe this is the new image/era brand. If so good luck to him, Im interested in seeing how this plays out.

David Faulk was also involved when we traded Brand for Chandler. He "gave" the 2 Jerrys the impression that Brand wouldn't resign with the Bulls so they really had no choice but to trade him to get something in return.

Ballstar1982
07-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Ballstar1982's Take (http://ballstar1982.blogspot.com/2008/07/he-saidhe-said.html)

Mike Dunleavy can quit the crying and whatnot. They low-balled Elton in 2003 and had to end up matching the Heat's offer. Disloyalty bread the same, when you show people respect and commitment there is a higher chance you will receive the same in return. Deuces.

Sixerlover
07-13-2008, 12:27 AM
My Take:

He is on the Sixers.. And I am very happy.

arlubas
07-13-2008, 06:38 AM
David Faulk was also involved when we traded Brand for Chandler. He "gave" the 2 Jerrys the impression that Brand wouldn't resign with the Bulls so they really had no choice but to trade him to get something in return.

Don't you just love the guy? :rolleyes:

hyp21
07-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Would Dunleavy shut up and let it be? Brand's NOT coming back to L.A. GET OVER IT! He's sounding like a chick burned and mad about a breakup! Geez, I can't believe he's carrying this on like this.

kylem4711
07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
^ ?

Chronz
07-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Would Dunleavy shut up and let it be? Brand's NOT coming back to L.A. GET OVER IT! He's sounding like a chick burned and mad about a breakup! Geez, I can't believe he's carrying this on like this.
Hes not mad about the breakup, hes mad that after the split the other party is spreading rumors about how small his manhood is.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I expect that from a coach. You should treat your players that way "give them what they want"

IMO, not a good quote from dunleavy..