PDA

View Full Version : Marquis might be a problem

DBierowka6
07-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Can someone explain to me why we have elected to keep Marquis in the rotation over Marshall? I know that Marquis said he has to be a starter or nothing but come on, Marshall came off the best start he's had in recent years and not to mention he is another lefty in the rotation. Are they just doing this so Marquis wont cry about it? What's your opinion.

Jilly Bohnson
07-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Marquis makes 7 million and is stuck here while Marshall makes league minimum and still has options left. That's it pure and simple.

CubbieSteve
07-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I agree, I think Marshall should be in over Marquis. And if that happens, Marquis will complain, ask for a trade, blah blah. I think we should just deal him for a PTBNL or something. Problem is that no team will want to take on his backloaded final year. We'll probably end up eating it if we trade him. Maybe package him in another deal, if there is one more in the works.

Str1fe5
07-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Well, I would personally lean toward the kid if I was going to not include team politics into the equation. Marshall has slightly better numbers, a much higher upside given his age and overall better set of pitches than Marquis. But Marshall doesn't strike me as anything special, topping out at about a 4th starter at best on good NL pitching staff, and he's not there yet.

I still don't think you can just jettison Marquis at this point though for a bag of nothing. Neither Gaudin nor Leiber are stretched out really enough to start a game on a moment's notice should Marshall get hurt and Marquis leave the team. I'm not comfortable with spot starts by Hart and I don't trust Hill yet, either. We have already had a DL stint by big Z and Harden cannot be trusted to go the distance from here on out, I'd expect him to at least miss a start or two. Should something happen to one, or two of our starters, even for just a couple of starts, not having Marquis could really come back to bite us. As it is now we can go with a 6 man rotation should we build up a big enough lead here over the next 20 games or so, giving Z and Harden and Dempster enough rest to really be fresh for the playoffs, much like the Red Sox did last year with Dice-K and Beckett.

Couple that with the fact that Marquis really has nowhere to go outside of the pen or the waiver wire, and the fact that our pen is loaded with better right-handed options , and we can afford to have a quasi 26-man major league roster by hiding Marshall in the minors until he is needed, say to come into a 6-man or to spot start or to replace Marquis should he become a liability. Marshall is probably better overall than Marquis right now, but not by enough that he is a full game or two better than Marquis, and not enough to essentially risk jettisoning marquis and reducing our flexibility down the stretch. The Cubs are going to get nothing in return for Marquis, he's pretty much the definition of a league-average 5th starter. Money is not an issue, and Marquis can eat innings and add flexibility to what Lou and Hendry can do with the roster. I say keep Marquis until he becomes god awful first before putting him on the wire, and a sub 5.00 ERA is not god awful. 4.78 isn't anything to write home about, a 1.47 WHIP is kinda bad. But he's better than literally just jettisoning him and putting in a guy who is marginally better at this point.

Now if Marquis becomes part of some other deal in the future, then sure, cast away. But throwing him away for a PTBNL or some such is just a waste and doesn't really get us anywhere.

Snydesdale
07-10-2008, 02:27 AM
Kidnap marquis and put him in a closet until November and tell everyone he is MIA.

turnaround3
07-10-2008, 02:29 AM
Str1fe5, another quality post - I agree with most everything said.

I must ask though, are you capable of writing less than a short novel when answering a question?

Snydesdale
07-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Money is a problem with marquis he makes 10 mil next year no one will pay that for him.

zambo4president
07-10-2008, 03:47 AM
Kidnap marquis and put him in a closet until November and tell everyone he is MIA.

i like it, i like it
in that case he would not get a ring would he?

DeShaun Brown
07-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Trade him. Get whatever we can for him.

WOwolfOL
07-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Marquis is the road warrior.

AlwaysNextYear
07-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Cubs arent done making trades, believe me there not gonna keep a 6 man rotation the rest of the year, my thinking is they will give marshall some more starts to showcase him for a trade at the deadline for a bat, who the player is I dont know but they need another bat in this lineup to come off the bench.

poodski
07-10-2008, 07:55 AM
And here I thought it was because Marquis was the better pitcher.

Marshall can be a sixth starter and a long man, but I dont want him anywhere near the rotation for extended periods of time.

If Lieber wants to take the 5th spot fine. If Hill gets back and wants to take it fine, if Gaudin wants it I would be okay. If even we want to give Hart a chance by all means.

Anyone but Marshall. I dont mind him if/when a player goes on the DL, but he is NOT a full time candidate for the rotation. He will give you 70 maybe 80 good innings then its game over for him.

poodski
07-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Money is a problem with marquis he makes 10 mil next year no one will pay that for him.

If his contract ended in 08 I guarantee someone would give him nearly 10 million or more a year if he kept pitching like he is right now.

behindmydesk
07-10-2008, 08:42 AM
with how contracts are given out. Yes I think they would. But I don't think we'll get much in the market for him. Maybe a A level player. But honestly the way Hendry has picked up A players in the past 2 years, i'm fine with that.

poodski
07-10-2008, 09:00 AM
with how contracts are given out. Yes I think they would. But I don't think we'll get much in the market for him. Maybe a A level player. But honestly the way Hendry has picked up A players in the past 2 years, i'm fine with that.

Yeah.

I dont think people will give up prospects to get his contract, but they would definately give him that in the offseason.

I mean hell lets look at what others have gotten.

Lilly coming off a 5.56 and a 4.31 seasons got 10 mil per
Meche coming off a 5.09 and a 4.48 got 10 mil per

So ten mil might be a shade bit high, but certainly not out of the question.

Certainly 7 or 8 mil a year.

behindmydesk
07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah.

I dont think people will give up prospects to get his contract, but they would definately give him that in the offseason.

I mean hell lets look at what others have gotten.

Lilly coming off a 5.56 and a 4.31 seasons got 10 mil per
Meche coming off a 5.09 and a 4.48 got 10 mil per

So ten mil might be a shade bit high, but certainly not out of the question.

Certainly 7 or 8 mil a year.

11 million on average for Meche. 55 over 5

poodski
07-10-2008, 09:07 AM
11 million on average for Meche. 55 over 5

Yeah and Meche certainly isnt much if any better than Marquis.

Still I will take Marquis over Marshall. Although if I ran the club this is what I would do.

I would just tell Marshall not even to report to spring training. If he wants to come and hang out sure go right ahead. Then about oh June or so send him to extended ST for a month. Then have him mid July pitch a game in low A and pitch one game in each level then have him come to the majors for mid August. give him 8 maybe 9 starts in August and September and maybe use him as the long guy in the playoffs. Use Marquis until mid August then send him home.

I would just treat Marshall like Roger Clemens. I think its a great plan.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah and Meche certainly isnt much if any better than Marquis.

Still I will take Marquis over Marshall. Although if I ran the club this is what I would do.

I would just tell Marshall not even to report to spring training. If he wants to come and hang out sure go right ahead. Then about oh June or so send him to extended ST for a month. Then have him mid July pitch a game in low A and pitch one game in each level then have him come to the majors for mid August. give him 8 maybe 9 starts in August and September and maybe use him as the long guy in the playoffs. Use Marquis until mid August then send him home.

I would just treat Marshall like Roger Clemens. I think its a great plan.

Yeah meche is actually worse this year than Marquis.....ouch

But if we do that to marshall he's gonna get signed. I mean who wouldn't pay an ok #5 the 700k it would probably take to sign him?

poodski
07-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah meche is actually worse this year than Marquis.....ouch

But if we do that to marshall he's gonna get signed. I mean who wouldn't pay an ok #5 the 700k it would probably take to sign him?

I didnt say it wasnt flawed.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
I didnt say it wasnt flawed.

I was just throwing it out there how. I was really hoping someone responded with how much he makes because for some reason the site I normally go to for players salary is blocked at work...whether that insider trading or entertainment I dont know.

chi416
07-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I think some people are putting way too much stock in one good game by Marshall. From what I've seen of Marshall over the years, he is every bit as capable of throwing up a clanker as any #5 starter -- Marquis included. Marshall has shown the ability to pitch effectively from the pen (something Marquis has not shown) and is another lefty arm to use in relief. I don't believe Marshall will be substantively better than Marquis as the #5 but I do think he'll be far better both in terms of results and attitude in the pen.

As for trading Marquis, I don't see why you would given that Dempster will be a free agent and Harden's injury risk. Realistically, you can only count on Z and Lilly for next year. Beyond that, you have Hill (who must regain his form), Marshall (who may or may not be able to pitch a full year as a starter), Dempster (who could leave as a free agent), Harden (injury risk) and Gaudin (can fill in as a #5). Marquis, with his durability, is a nice luxury to have.

windycityD
07-10-2008, 10:48 AM
I think some people are putting way too much stock in one good game by Marshall. From what I've seen of Marshall over the years, he is every bit as capable of throwing up a clanker as any #5 starter -- Marquis included. Marshall has shown the ability to pitch effectively from the pen (something Marquis has not shown) and is another lefty arm to use in relief. I don't believe Marshall will be substantively better than Marquis as the #5 but I do think he'll be far better both in terms of results and attitude in the pen.

As for trading Marquis, I don't see why you would given that Dempster will be a free agent and Harden's injury risk. Realistically, you can only count on Z and Lilly for next year. Beyond that, you have Hill (who must regain his form), Marshall (who may or may not be able to pitch a full year as a starter), Dempster (who could leave as a free agent), Harden (injury risk) and Gaudin (can fill in as a #5). Marquis, with his durability, is a nice luxury to have.

I have a feeling Chad Gaudin will be this team's 5th starter next season, as in, Marquis dealt in the off season for 1-2 mid level prospects w/ us eating 5 mil of his '09 deal. Marquis becomes cheap and "doable" for any number of clubs under that scenario (KC, Pittsburgh, Toronto, San Diego). I'm hard pressed to see how Marquis could be dealt in season, this year. The guy is second half crap for three years running now.

ABE32
07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
You pitch Marquis or release him...maybe some club will offer you a pack of baseballs and we have to eat half of his salary. However the reason you continue to pitch him is to raise his trade value. Once you send him to the bullpen he has no trade value and then you are stuck for another year with this pathetic so called pitcher who should be selling beers at wrigley.

cowboydoc45
07-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I have a feeling Chad Gaudin will be this team's 5th starter next season, as in, Marquis dealt in the off season for 1-2 mid level prospects w/ us eating 5 mil of his '09 deal. Marquis becomes cheap and "doable" for any number of clubs under that scenario (KC, Pittsburgh, Toronto, San Diego). I'm hard pressed to see how Marquis could be dealt in season, this year. The guy is second half crap for three years running now.

Most of the trade rumors still surrounding the Cubs involve them trading off excess pitching depth. I think we could spin Marquis this season for some specs, but not mcuh...

ABE32
07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Not Much is > Marquis So I am saying whatever we can get for him would be better than having him throw batting practice during the pennant race.

Goose_Island
07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Perhaps we could ship Marquis to either one of the New York teams for next to nothing. I believe both are looking to add some pitching depth, but especially the Yankees. He's from NY so maybe there would be some appeal there (I'm stretching). We just need somebody to take him off our hands. Seeing some of the names starting games for the Yankees, perhaps they would take him.

godendahl
07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
If we take Marquis out of the rotation his value goes down exponentially, and he already has little value to most teams. As long as keeping him in is temporary until he is moved, I'm more then ok with it.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
The more and more I think about it I'm fine with shipping him off for nothing even if we eat all of this years contract.

poodski
07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Not Much is > Marquis So I am saying whatever we can get for him would be better than having him throw batting practice during the pennant race.

No offense but can you find a lot of other teams in the playoff hunt with better number 5s?

I ll list them

CHC Marquis - 4.78
STL Piniero - 4.17
MIL Bush - 4.74
PHI Eaton - 5.20
FLA Badenhop - 6.08
NYM Figueroa - 5.12 Pedro 6.86
ATL Glavine - 4.85 James 8.22
ARI Owings 5.13 Johnson 5.18
LAD Penny 5.88

Is he great? Absolutely not, but if could be worse A LOT worse.

rccubsfan
07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
we could do what the cardinals did and keep him off the postseason roster, maybe it will bring us some luck

poodski
07-10-2008, 11:25 AM
we could do what the cardinals did and keep him off the postseason roster, maybe it will bring us some luck

I dont think he does, unless we bring him on to be ready in case we are getting destroyed and we dont want to waste the bullpen.

Either way pending injuries he wont be a starter in the playoffs.

Goose_Island
07-10-2008, 11:26 AM
No offense but can you find a lot of other teams in the playoff hunt with better number 5s?

I ll list them

CHC Marquis - 4.78
STL Piniero - 4.17
MIL Bush - 4.74PHI Eaton - 5.20
FLA Badenhop - 6.08
NYM Figueroa - 5.12 Pedro 6.86
ATL Glavine - 4.85 James 8.22
ARI Owings 5.13 Johnson 5.18
LAD Penny 5.88

Is he great? Absolutely not, but if could be worse A LOT worse.

I agree, he's not the worst #5 out there. But two pretty important teams on that list have a better #5. I can live with Marquis being out 5th guy. I think we can survive his terrible starts and he will give us mostly mediocre starts that this offense will find a way to cover up. I'm really fine either way with him or Marshall being that 5th guy.

I say we hold on to him just to keep the "pitching depth" we are hearing about. We had that in spring training and it faded somewhat.

windycityD
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Most of the trade rumors still surrounding the Cubs involve them trading off excess pitching depth. I think we could spin Marquis this season for some specs, but not mcuh...

Excess is best, but I for one do not think Marquis is the excess contending teams want. If you're going to try and actually improve this team offensively in the very position we would be able to do that, CF and Bradley. Broken record I am, but it's a deal that allows you to do just that AND keep Edmonds around and spell Fukudome and Soriano here and there. Who cares if we had an OF glut, our bench would be loaded w/ L and R options. Send Fontenot down and then bring him back up Sept 1. Play Cedeno a little more.

This team needs to add an impact bat, and if it does, would be lethal 1-7 w/ Theriot not at all garbage hitting 8th. We could belly up to ANY team in the game and bop and hit and walk and score even more. Bradley is that bat.

cubsbears1225
07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
its all politics...

WOwolfOL
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Just don't let him pitch @ Wrigley and the problem is solved.

6.29 ERA compared to a very nice 3.38 on the road (in more ip)

cowboydoc45
07-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Excess is best, but I for one do not think Marquis is the excess contending teams want. If you're going to try and actually improve this team offensively in the very position we would be able to do that, CF and Bradley. Broken record I am, but it's a deal that allows you to do just that AND keep Edmonds around and spell Fukudome and Soriano here and there. Who cares if we had an OF glut, our bench would be loaded w/ L and R options. Send Fontenot down and then bring him back up Sept 1. Play Cedeno a little more.

This team needs to add an impact bat, and if it does, would be lethal 1-7 w/ Theriot not at all garbage hitting 8th. We could belly up to ANY team in the game and bop and hit and walk and score even more. Bradley is that bat.

I just don't think Bradley is the answer... if we were going to go with a player like that, I would say Lewis.

WOwolfOL
07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Bradley is a monster. Lewis is not.

cowboydoc45
07-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Lewis has much more upside than Bradley....

Bradley is a cancer, Lewis is not...

WOwolfOL
07-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Lewis will likely never post a 1000 OPS.

Kirel
07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Lewis has much more upside than Bradley....

Bradley is a cancer, Lewis is not...
I disagree on that. Lewis is 27. His upside is likely where he is.

Bradley may or may not be a cancer. It may well not matter in the least.

The major difference is Bradley is probably cheaper.

windycityD
07-10-2008, 03:50 PM

He certainly can be a time bomb, but when you think about this guy added to our line up and all the ways that could be done in terms of where he could hit as a switch hitter, it's something that could pay significant short term dividends.

cowboydoc45
07-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Bradley: Career stats .366/.454/.821 8 years in the majors, now playing for Texas (well out of playoff race)

Lewis: Career stats .362/.440/.802 3rd year in the majors, 2 full year. Playing for SF (also well out of contention).

Neither team is in contention, so they will be sellers, both players have very similar career numbers, but in my opinion Lewis not being a cancer makes up for .019 in OPS. Lewis is also younger by 3 years.

Kirel
07-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Bradley: Career stats .366/.454/.821 8 years in the majors, now playing for Texas (well out of playoff race)

Lewis: Career stats .362/.440/.802 3rd year in the majors, 2 full year. Playing for SF (also well out of contention).

Neither team is in contention, so they will be sellers, both players have very similar career numbers, but in my opinion Lewis not being a cancer makes up for .019 in OPS. Lewis is also younger by 3 years.
Bradley has always been a latent talent derailed by injury and personality problems. He's finally showing what he can do. I'd guess the chances of getting a .900 OPS once out of Bradley is around 50% over the next couple years, whereas I'd not give Lewis more than a 10%.

Don't get me wrong, I'd not mind Lewis at all, but he'll cost more because he's younger and under club control longer.

cowboydoc45
07-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Bradley has always been a latent talent derailed by injury and personality problems. He's finally showing what he can do. I'd guess the chances of getting a .900 OPS once out of Bradley is around 50% over the next couple years, whereas I'd not give Lewis more than a 10%.

Don't get me wrong, I'd not mind Lewis at all, but he'll cost more because he's younger and under club control longer.

One of the times where I don't spending a little more... neither one of them would be outrageously priced (not that we need either one, just a hypothetical). But when you buy something, you shop around, and look at value. How much bang for the buck. Lewis is under control for a good period, where Bradley isn't. Would you spend money on a short term rental when you could spend a little more, and lock up something very close for a little more?

Kirel
07-10-2008, 04:11 PM
One of the times where I don't spending a little more... neither one of them would be outrageously priced (not that we need either one, just a hypothetical). But when you buy something, you shop around, and look at value. How much bang for the buck. Lewis is under control for a good period, where Bradley isn't. Would you spend money on a short term rental when you could spend a little more, and lock up something very close for a little more?
For this year, a Bradley that might give the team a .980 OPS is going to bring greater immediate dividends. Lewis would merely be solid.

So it depends on the cost. If it's a low cost, I go for Bradley and deal with the future as it comes. As the price rises, my preference would shift towards Lewis.

cowboydoc45
07-10-2008, 04:14 PM
For this year, a Bradley that might give the team a .980 OPS is going to bring greater immediate dividends. Lewis would merely be solid.

So it depends on the cost. If it's a low cost, I go for Bradley and deal with the future as it comes. As the price rises, my preference would shift towards Lewis.

I almost think that Texas would ask for a lot more for Bradley than people think. Texas doesn't have a lot of chips, and might look for a significant number of specs to replace him. SF has a more reasonable chance to rebuild in the next couple years, or have a couple of really nice pieces (Cain/Lincecum) that could be moved for serious prospects.

Kirel
07-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I almost think that Texas would ask for a lot more for Bradley than people think. Texas doesn't have a lot of chips, and might look for a significant number of specs to replace him. SF has a more reasonable chance to rebuild in the next couple years, or have a couple of really nice pieces (Cain/Lincecum) that could be moved for serious prospects.
While Texas is a bit pitching poor, I'm not sure why you think they don't have many chips.

Look up Taylor Teagarden, Max Ramirez, Chris Davis, John Mayberry, Nefatili Feliz, Elvis Andrus, Kasey Kiker, and Julio Bourbon, at the least. Add that to Kinsler,Hamilton, and Saltamacchia and they've got a rather bright future. They shouldn't have any trouble acquiring whatever players they want in trade and should be able to field a reasonable team on the cheap very soon.

In terms of sellnig off, they have sufficent players to not have to rely on Bradley to bring back a motherlode. I'm sure they'd like him to, but that's a different thing.

cowboydoc45
07-10-2008, 04:31 PM
While Texas is a bit pitching poor, I'm not sure why you think they don't have many chips.

Look up Taylor Teagarden, Max Ramirez, Chris Davis, John Mayberry, Nefatili Feliz, Elvis Andrus, Kasey Kiker, and Julio Bourbon, at the least. Add that to Kinsler,Hamilton, and Saltamacchia and they've got a rather bright future. They shouldn't have any trouble acquiring whatever players they want in trade and should be able to field a reasonable team on the cheap very soon.

In terms of sellnig off, they have sufficent players to not have to rely on Bradley to bring back a motherlode. I'm sure they'd like him to, but that's a different thing.

I see what your getting at. I don't know, I guess I just have a thing against Bradley...

Kirel
07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I see what your getting at. I don't know, I guess I just have a thing against Bradley...
Which is fine. I'm not sold that he's a great idea at this point either. CF isn't perfect, but it's working. I'm just uncomfortable making long term decisions there right now, and I don't think we need a short term change.

redbird89
07-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Doesn't Marquis usually get worse as the season goes on?

It sounds like you can trade him, but probably only packaged with other players. $7 mil a year is kind of steep, and he still has another year. He doesn't get hurt much, he can eat innings, but he seems to be an average pitcher.

There's a reason he only made $3 mil a year in STL. He's not worth $7 mil as a #5 starter.

Probably best to trade him away or just use him as depth. He also sounds like he wants to stay in the rotation and he'll make a big fuss if he's not in it. But unless he transforms himself into a better pitcher, I think he needs to shut up. If he really has an attitude of "put me in the rotation, I demand it." I'm surprised Piniella puts up with it.

In the playoffs you could leave him off the roster like we did.

behindmydesk
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
we did it last year too redbird

Dmac
07-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Marquis was on the Cubs playoff roster last year, they just didn't pitch him.

DAAAAABEARS
07-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Marquis was on the Cubs playoff roster last year, they just didn't pitch him.

wrong

Dmac
07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
wrong

Um, no it's not wrong. Thanks for your input though, and all the facts you provided to prove otherwise. How can you guys not remember this? It was a big deal last year because he shouldn't have been on the roster, and many believed the only reason he was is because they knew he would be on the team this year and thought he could be hard to deal with. I don't know how to post links, but this is off the Cubs website, read it for yourself:

Cubs Announce NLDS Roster
Marquis In, Ohman Out
Chicago Cubs right-hander Jason Marquis will do something this post-season that he hadnít the previous two years - possibly see action. Marquis, who had been left off the St. Louis Cardinalsí post-season roster the past two seasons, will be among the Cubsí 25-player playoff roster.

Marquis is one of 11 pitchers included on the roster which includes September call-up, Kevin Hart.

The remaining 14 position players also includes a late-season surprise - catcher Geovany Soto. He will be joined by former Triple A teammates Mike Fontenot, Ronny Cedeno, Matt Murton and Felix Pie on the post-season roster.

Chicago manager Lou Piniella announced the playoff roster late Tuesday afternoon.

Notables who were left off include pitchers Will Ohman, Steve Traschel and Sean Marshall, and position players Craig Monroe and Henry Blanco. Both Traschel and Monroe were late-season pickups by Cubsí general manager Jim Hendry and neither enjoyed much success in their limited time with Chicago.

The Chicago Cubsí NLDS roster:

Starting Pitchers:

Carlos Zambrano
Ted Lilly
Rich Hill
Relievers:

Ryan Dempster
Scott Eyre
Kevin Hart
Bob Howry
Jason Marquis
Carlos Marmol
Kerry Wood
Michael Wuertz
Position Players:

Geovany Soto, C
Jason Kendall, C
Derrek Lee, 1B
Mark DeRosa, 2B
Ryan Theriot, SS
Aramis Ramirez, 3B
Mike Fontenot, 2B
Ronny Cedeno, SS
Alfonso Soriano, LF
Jacque Jones, CF
Cliff Floyd, RF
Matt Murton, OF
Daryle Ward, OF
Felix Pie, OF

Dmac
07-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted: October 2, 2007

October surprises: Hart's in, Monroe's out
By Paul Sullivan, 7:36 p.m.

PHOENIX -- Rookie right-hander Kevin Hart will be added to the Cubs 25-man playoff roster, while veteran left-hander Will Ohman and outfielder Craig Monroe were both left off.

"I have a chance to pitch in October," said Hart, who was called up from Double-A Tennessee in September. "That's something you dream of since you were a little kid."

Those were the biggest surprises of Tuesday night's announcement by general manager Jim Hendry, who also left Steve Trachsel, Sean Marshall and Sam Fuld off the roster. Jason Marquis survived, but will serve as the long man out of the bullpen while Carlos Zambrano goes in Game 4, if necessary.

Geovany Soto will be the starting catcher in Game 1, but the lineup was not revealed by manager Lou Piniella.

The Monroe decision was difficult, since he hit five post-season home runs last year with Detroit and was brought in for his ability to hit left-handers.

Arizona has only one left-handed starter in Doug Davis, and Piniella has already said he'd stick with Jacque Jones in center against lefties and righties.

"We're going to keep (Matt) Murton and not Monroe, and go with Felix Pie for defense," Hendry said.

Scott Eyre will be the only left-hander in the bullpen, while Hart takes over a spot that might have gone to Ohman.

"I think we all agree Hart has pitched well enough to be on the ballclub," Hendry said. "Plus, our right-handed guys in the pen have great numbers against lefties."

Hart has held left-handed batters hitless in 13 at-bats, while lefties were hitting .238 against Michael Wuertz, .192 against Bob Howry and .209 against Carlos Marmol.

"So it's not essential that you have to always match up left and right," Hendry said.

Hendry declined to discuss moving Marquis to the bullpen. Manager Lou Piniella said "we'll use Marquis out of the bullpen" and that "our plans basically are to bring Zambrano back (for Game 4) on three days rest."

Marshall will hang around in case the Cubs need him in the next round, while Steve Trachsel will not be given another opportunity to pitch for the Cubs.

"I think we're going to try and stretch Marshall out in Instructional League," Hendry said, referring to the Cubs facility in nearby Mesa. "If we're fortunate enough to go to 7-game series after this, he could be bigger factor in this."

Ronny Cedeno and Mike Fontenot will both be on the team as back-up infielders, as expected.

Here's the final 25-man roster:

Starters (3): Zambrano, Ted Lilly, Rich Hill

Relievers (8): Ryan Dempster, Howry, Marmol, Wuertz, Hart, Eyre, Kerry Wood, Marquis.

Infielders (6): Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, Mark DeRosa, Ryan Theriot, Fontenot, Cedeno.

Outfielders (6): Jones, Pie, Murton, Alfonso Soriano, Cliff Floyd, Daryle Ward.

Catchers (2): Soto, Jason Kendall.

DAAAAABEARS
07-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted: October 2, 2007

October surprises: Hart's in, Monroe's out
By Paul Sullivan, 7:36 p.m.

PHOENIX -- Rookie right-hander Kevin Hart will be added to the Cubs 25-man playoff roster, while veteran left-hander Will Ohman and outfielder Craig Monroe were both left off.

"I have a chance to pitch in October," said Hart, who was called up from Double-A Tennessee in September. "That's something you dream of since you were a little kid."

Those were the biggest surprises of Tuesday night's announcement by general manager Jim Hendry, who also left Steve Trachsel, Sean Marshall and Sam Fuld off the roster. Jason Marquis survived, but will serve as the long man out of the bullpen while Carlos Zambrano goes in Game 4, if necessary.

Geovany Soto will be the starting catcher in Game 1, but the lineup was not revealed by manager Lou Piniella.

The Monroe decision was difficult, since he hit five post-season home runs last year with Detroit and was brought in for his ability to hit left-handers.

Arizona has only one left-handed starter in Doug Davis, and Piniella has already said he'd stick with Jacque Jones in center against lefties and righties.

"We're going to keep (Matt) Murton and not Monroe, and go with Felix Pie for defense," Hendry said.

Scott Eyre will be the only left-hander in the bullpen, while Hart takes over a spot that might have gone to Ohman.

"I think we all agree Hart has pitched well enough to be on the ballclub," Hendry said. "Plus, our right-handed guys in the pen have great numbers against lefties."

Hart has held left-handed batters hitless in 13 at-bats, while lefties were hitting .238 against Michael Wuertz, .192 against Bob Howry and .209 against Carlos Marmol.

"So it's not essential that you have to always match up left and right," Hendry said.

Hendry declined to discuss moving Marquis to the bullpen. Manager Lou Piniella said "we'll use Marquis out of the bullpen" and that "our plans basically are to bring Zambrano back (for Game 4) on three days rest."

Marshall will hang around in case the Cubs need him in the next round, while Steve Trachsel will not be given another opportunity to pitch for the Cubs.

"I think we're going to try and stretch Marshall out in Instructional League," Hendry said, referring to the Cubs facility in nearby Mesa. "If we're fortunate enough to go to 7-game series after this, he could be bigger factor in this."

Ronny Cedeno and Mike Fontenot will both be on the team as back-up infielders, as expected.

Here's the final 25-man roster:

Starters (3): Zambrano, Ted Lilly, Rich Hill

Relievers (8): Ryan Dempster, Howry, Marmol, Wuertz, Hart, Eyre, Kerry Wood, Marquis.

Infielders (6): Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, Mark DeRosa, Ryan Theriot, Fontenot, Cedeno.

Outfielders (6): Jones, Pie, Murton, Alfonso Soriano, Cliff Floyd, Daryle Ward.

Catchers (2): Soto, Jason Kendall.

haha, my mistake man. I apologize. I coulda sworn len and bob said the other day that he had not made the playoff roster the last few times his team went to the playoffs. And i guess i just flat out remembered wrong last year

Dmac
07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
haha, my mistake man. I apologize. I coulda sworn len and bob said the other day that he had not made the playoff roster the last few times his team went to the playoffs. And i guess i just flat out remembered wrong last year

It's all good. He shouldn't have made it, and I'm sure if he is on the team this year by then they won't make that mistake again.

DAAAAABEARS
07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
It's all good. He shouldn't have made it, and I'm sure if he is on the team this year by then they won't make that mistake again.

assuming he has his typical 6+ ERA second half, yes....

if by some miracle he pitches like he did the first half last year..........he might get a start.....maybe......eh.....prolly not.