PDA

View Full Version : Harden headed for DL? *UNCONFIRMED*

The General
07-09-2008, 11:04 PM
from A's forum

I have been waiting all day to post this:

Michael Urban (writer for MLB.com) was on KHTK 1140 AM this morning(Sacramento) and said he heard rumors from very valuable sources that the Cubs have already talked about possibly putting Harden on the DL. His velocity was obviously down and the Cubs are worried. Urban also mentioned that Beane had told Hendry about the lack of velocity from Harden and Hendry didnt really care. In closing Urban said (of the deal) that whatever the Cubs get out of Harden, they deserve. If he gets hurt, that is what they get because they knew Harden was banged up, and if he stays healthy, that is what they get because they took a chance on Harden.

Cubsfan1433
07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
dont buy it

captainatheism
07-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I'd usually toss this out but Hendry was saying how Beane was really 'open and honest' about Harden's injury history during the trade, so this worries me a little. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

Buckcub
07-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Hendry didn't care that Harden's hurt?

Have to call BS on that. He may not be the healthiest guy in baseball, but I can't believe that he'd be hurt and it wouldn't affect the trade at all.

jiggin
07-09-2008, 11:12 PM
this is from the cubs press conference today when Harden and Gaudin arrived in chicago:

Harden will make his Cubs debut on Friday or Saturday against his former Bay Area rival Giants, whom he held to one hit in six innings earlier this season. Cubs manager Lou Piniella said he would discuss with Harden about the pitching plan after he got acclimated.

General manager Jim Hendry mentioned a cautious schedule with Harden, who has had six stints on the disabled list since 2005. The team is taking a reverse approach to the rest of the season, looking ahead to September when determining Harden's upcoming workload.

"Like we do with all our pitchers, we're going to watch pitch counts," Piniella said. "We can give a pitcher an extra day, we can do that. We have the luxury here of having six starters. We can skip somebody if we need to. We can work around it."

Sean Marshall is the odd man out of the rotation to start the second half. Ted Lilly, Carlos Zambrano and Ryan Dempster will start at Houston after the All-Star break. Harden will open a series at Arizona on July 21 with Jason Marquis following him.

That means about a week between Harden's first and second National League starts. For a guy with a 2.34 ERA, it'll be worth the wait.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080709&content_id=3100945&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Sounds like a lot of people are trying to start a bunch of crap using Harden's injury history as a spring board. My bet, he is going to start this friday or saturday and will then start the first game of the arizona series, as noted above.

redwhitenblue
07-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I'm sure this writer is talking about this and yet it's not being blown out of proportion already by the Chicago media

BS

shrek
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
wtf?

delete this thread

KH12
07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Lou just said that Harden is starting Saturday.

Max Power
07-09-2008, 11:20 PM
On CSN they said he is starting Saturday. The Beane blowers out west are doing everything within their powers to justify this trade when it's only 24 hours old.

BUD Bleachers
07-09-2008, 11:24 PM
I sat in the 8th row just to the left of home plate on Sunday at The Cell.

He was popping 93-94 consistently. His change was working well too. He made Thome look silly on 3 straight pitches with the splitter.

He was a bit wild at times with high strikes, and if not for a key error, he could've won that game.

Hendry commented about his health multiple times last night in stating that Cubs doctors cleared him just fine.

Whenever an ace like this leaves a team there will always be some bitter feelings from media and fans with different ways to spin a story.

Cubs and pitching injuries, you know? Harden plays right into this, unfortunately.

DAAAAABEARS
07-09-2008, 11:27 PM
I sat in the 8th row just to the left of home plate on Sunday at The Cell.

He was popping 93-94 consistently. His change was working well too. He made Thome look silly on 3 straight pitches with the splitter.

He was a bit wild at times with high strikes, and if not for a key error, he could've won that game.

Hendry commented about his health multiple times last night in stating that Cubs doctors cleared him just fine.

Whenever an ace like this leaves a team there will always be some bitter feelings from media and fans with different ways to spin a story.

Cubs and pitching injuries, you know? Harden plays right into this, unfortunately.

Well said...

and i'd like to add, if there is any justice in the universe, harden will never hit the DL. We should be rewarded at some point for taking a chance on an injured pitcher, after prior, wood and wade miller....right? :pray::pray::pray:

Asoriano12
07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
BS, i dont believe this 1 bit

The General
07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I hope Harden is fine, but theres a reason Beane threw in Gaudin.

davegon420
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
from A's forum

Sounds like the A's people are straight up HATIN!!! Oakland is terrible and you guys are constantly sellers at the deadline, so stop hatin on the Cubs because jealousy will get you nowhere in life. Baseball in Oakland is so bad.. a few years ago when they made the playoffs they didnt even open the upper deck up for the playoff games cuz no one cares to go. Every time i tune in to an A's game it looks like a minor league setup... what a joke!

Doogolas
07-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Harden's Cub debut has been announced for Saturday... so somehow this can't be right. Lol

dabears34ft
07-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Sounds like the A's people are straight up HATIN!!! Oakland is terrible and you guys are constantly sellers at the deadline, so stop hatin on the Cubs because jealousy will get you nowhere in life. Baseball in Oakland is so bad.. a few years ago when they made the playoffs they didnt even open the upper deck up for the playoff games cuz no one cares to go. Every time i tune in to an A's game it looks like a minor league setup... what a joke!

that is all this is. Hating hating hating. Just a bunch of bitter fans mad that they have to deal with matt murton now. As long as Harden is healthy come september, this deal is good for us.

RockStrongo

Yeah, Gaudin could be a significant piece in this deal if Harden gets hurt. I don't believe this story for a second though. Hopefully he stays relatively healthy and makes 12-14 starts.

cubsfreak19
This is all old news... we know he has injury problems. But when he's on the mound hes great. End of story. People coming on here trying to make Hendry look like a idiot, tell me how big of an idiot he is when Rich Harden dominates hitters.

Doogolas
07-09-2008, 11:58 PM
And like I said, it's a nonissue, they announced that he'll be debuting on Saturday...

cubsfreak19
07-10-2008, 12:03 AM
yeah i mean all year we are going to be hearing about o man hardens velocity was down that start or he was wild or he looked uncomfortable... let people know that Big Z was on the DL and we were just fine. I mean lost Harden for 2-3 starts we still have Z,Demp,Lilly,Marsh... and our offense isnt going to go away i just want harden to make it to september cuz having him Z Demp and Lilly at there best in the playoffs would be unfair. We have been in first all year with no Harden so if he goes down we will be fine for 3 starts.

cubbiesin07
07-10-2008, 12:06 AM
I did hear a little bit ago on espn 1000 that his next start might be pushed back to when we play the d-backs. Didn't say anything about him being hurt though.

Doogolas
07-10-2008, 12:13 AM
I did hear a little bit ago on espn 1000 that his next start might be pushed back to when we play the d-backs. Didn't say anything about him being hurt though.

*shrugs* I'm going to go with what was announced after the game until I hear otherwise from someone directly speaking with Cubs management, which I can only assume that CSN did during post game.

Harden will make his Cubs debut on Saturday against his former Bay Area rival Giants, whom he held to one hit in six innings earlier this season.

From Cubs.com

Link: http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080709&content_id=3100945&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

NorthSideChamp
07-10-2008, 12:20 AM
earliar today on the score the assistant GM (Randy bush i wanna say) was on the score talking about how he was at hardens last start. He says that harden was hitting 92-3 with ease and topped out at 95 and didnt say anything other than maybe a six man rotation at times. But i did read an article before this trade in regards to hardens jul 1 start. Kinda scary. heres quote and link, its towards the end.

"Harden didn't seem worried, insisting he wasn't hurting and chalking it up as "one of those nights."

"My feel really was awful today," Harden said. "I was fortunate to get through five innings with only two runs. There are just certain days when you feel kind of tied and your arm feels kind of dead. You just feel different on every pitch."

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080701&content_id=3044746&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

Eisman57
07-10-2008, 01:06 AM
At this moment Cubs.com lists the probable pitchers for remaining 4 games as Lilly, Marquis, Marshall, and Dempster. When questioned about Harden's first start both Lou and Harden have been deliberately vague, "We need to discuss things..." Perhaps the Cubs are being overly cautious however it's equally plausible that Harden's "dead arm" is a bigger issue than anyone is willing to admit.

I won't be surprised if Harden hits the DL before making his first start.

damon berryhill
07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Why does everyone seem to think that "dead arm" is something DL-worthy? I get it, it is Rich Harden, a man the media paints as made of glass. However, many pitchers go through a "dead arm" period and just pitch through it. Case in point most recently, B-Webb. It is just the ebb and flow of a pitchers career: there are gonna be nights where you don't have a "feel" for the pitches and it doesn't work out. As for Harden, if hitting 92-92 and topping out at 95 and pitching with a strict Fastball/change repitoire and still doing ok is wrong, then I don't wanna be right, as he seems to be fairly effective with it.

As for the 2 starts after his 11k performance against the phillies, you kinda have to notice the correlation of innings pitched up until that point and cubs interest in Harden. I feel like Beane was protecting his return by limiting him to 5 innings until a trade happened. I don't think this was because he wanted to hide an injury, but more Beane being Beane and protecting his investment so he could sell as high as possible.

I personally will be surprised if Harden hits the DL before his first start. Most sources that tell you he will are just spouting off a bunch of gobbledygook and are fishing for a story because they didnt get enough attention as a child.

wrigleycubs101
07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
At this moment Cubs.com lists the probable pitchers for remaining 4 games as Lilly, Marquis, Marshall, and Dempster. When questioned about Harden's first start both Lou and Harden have been deliberately vague, "We need to discuss things..." Perhaps the Cubs are being overly cautious however it's equally plausible that Harden's "dead arm" is a bigger issue than anyone is willing to admit.

Dude you have been bashing this trade since it happened. Are you not a Cub fan or do you just hate Harden.

Cubs Fan 4Ever
07-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Man...don't some people have a life....

jiggin
07-10-2008, 01:35 AM

Hendry insisted on Guadin as a fall back plan in case Harden ever went on the DL because Gallagher was the spot starter and he would be gone.

I don't think there is anything currently wrong with Harden. With his injury history, he will probably eventually end up in the DL over the year and a half he will be with the cubs...thus why Hendry wanted another guy in the deal that could take his spot in the rotation and could replace gallagher.

Cubstradamus
07-10-2008, 01:38 AM
What Harden needs to do is stick to his mechanics

When he gets off of those, he goes through small stretches of inconsistency

When he stays on them, he has the best stuff in MLB. Yes, Major League Baseball

His injuries, well, I take a positive view in that he works hard off the field to stay healthy and works just as hard on the field so I am hoping he is rewarded with months of injury free ball

statsman88
07-10-2008, 01:59 AM
jeez this dude scares me

CubsRule08
07-10-2008, 02:00 AM
^ Why are you gonna believe this? They wouldnt have made this trade if they would put him on the DL immediately...

yearofthecub
07-10-2008, 02:03 AM

You apparently didn't read the numerous posts that have stated that Harden will be pitching Saturday's game against the Giants. It was announced on the post game show on CSN. They don't just make **** up, like the people who are trying to instigate this extremely far-fetched rumor of him going on the DL. The Cubs website is notorious for not getting updates to the rotation in an expeditious fashion.

Jim Hendry is not an idiot. He wouldn't trade for a guy who wouldn't even make one start before going to the DL. I'm going to laugh my *** off at all these people when Harden goes the rest of this season without hitting the DL once and dominates in the post-season and season(s) to come with the Cubs. I have a really good feeling about this guy. This trade is going to work in our favor, though I wish the guys we sent to Oakland well.

croce_99
07-10-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm closing this thread because there isn't enough proof that this is true.
Yahoo! Sports has Harden starting on Saturday.
Paul Sullivan mentions nothing about Harden going to the DL. He mentions the Cubs will likely pitch Harden every 6 days instead of 5 and they will occasionally skip his start.
For more info about Harden, read this thread I just posted:
Click Here (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243673)

Again, if this is true, there would be links all over. And secondly, the Cubs would NOT trade for Harden and then throw him on the DL. Why would they get rid of Murton/Gallagher for 2 weeks and get nothing in return? They would atleast wait until the trade deadline and then make the trade.

Again, if someone can find a valid link, then feel free to create another thread.

turnaround3
07-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Why is this still a thread? They announced he's starting Saturday. Cmon now...