07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
to all the haters who say he cant

he can

Conor
07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Care to elaborate?

Lincoln Logs
07-09-2008, 09:38 PM
If Don Nelson, a man who knows 10x as much about basketball then any of us says he can, I believe he can. Whether it's a smooth transition this year, I'm not so sure. But who am I to doubt Don Nelson?

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
don nelson also said bellinelli would be a star last season.

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 09:46 PM
but in all fairness...im sure monta can play point. i just know he can't play it like baron. baron was so strong and could do so many things that many people cant. thats gonna be hard to replace.

Lincoln Logs
07-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I think he meant eventually. I really hope Belinelli gets more minutes this year, as I think he could be a star, but that's a differnet topic

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I hope he doesn't end up a bust as well. But before the season, Nelly was saying how Belinelli would be starting.

As for Monta...he'll be fine. He'll have Jack helping him out as well. CJ Watson now has more experience with the system...and we'll also bring in a veteran point like Dooling. Dooling > T-Hud....LOL. We can bring in Dooling/Watson to play point and slide Monta over to the 2 and rest Jack/Mags and vice-versa. We have a versatile lineup.

FUGHIDDABOUTIT
07-09-2008, 10:49 PM

he can

It's not hating. It's called being knowledgeable and realistic. Why would I hate on our best and most talented player. But he is definitely not a point guard and never will be.

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 10:53 PM
It's not hating. It's called being knowledgeable and realistic. Why would I hate on our best and most talented player. But he is definitely not a point guard and never will be.

Can people start elaborating on why they think Monta can/cannot play the point?

I know a lot about basketball...but assessing whether or not Monta has IT to become a point guard is not something I can do. But everyone is making all these claims but no one has a reason.

cali72888
07-09-2008, 11:45 PM
monte will be able to play the point because he has three season under baron and he showed signs of leadership last season. nelson has been having him run the ball along with baron if you watched last season you could see ellis making play calls on occasions. ellis can handle the ball and we all know that, so what makes you think he will not be able to handle the ball and dish it to other players, or set up plays for the team.
i also believe that because he has been coached by one of the all time greatest coaches in don nelson. Nelson believes he has the tools to play point, and for all ive seen of ellis's abilities he has shown that he has what it takes to be the point.
do you think the warriors diddent think of what would happen if baron opted out? its happened to nelson before with nash, and its happening now with baron, i wouldent be suprised if nelson is happy he doesent have a 17 million burden for his last season and pretty much the same team, this year he has his best player switching to the most popular position in the game where the spotlight will be on ellis and ellis only, giving ellis the chance to either sink or swim.
nelson said belinelli would be an all star at some point in his career, not this last season. belinelli has also shown signs of being a good player, if he plays good this season he could be a very servicable asset to our team, or a trade piece for the future.

kevin98189
07-10-2008, 12:49 AM
monte will be able to play the point because he has three season under baron and he showed signs of leadership last season. nelson has been having him run the ball along with baron if you watched last season you could see ellis making play calls on occasions. ellis can handle the ball and we all know that, so what makes you think he will not be able to handle the ball and dish it to other players, or set up plays for the team.
i also believe that because he has been coached by one of the all time greatest coaches in don nelson. Nelson believes he has the tools to play point, and for all ive seen of ellis's abilities he has shown that he has what it takes to be the point.
do you think the warriors diddent think of what would happen if baron opted out? its happened to nelson before with nash, and its happening now with baron, i wouldent be suprised if nelson is happy he doesent have a 17 million burden for his last season and pretty much the same team, this year he has his best player switching to the most popular position in the game where the spotlight will be on ellis and ellis only, giving ellis the chance to either sink or swim.
nelson said belinelli would be an all star at some point in his career, not this last season. belinelli has also shown signs of being a good player, if he plays good this season he could be a very servicable asset to our team, or a trade piece for the future.

hahha didnt think of this in that way... good post. i mean im sure the warriors officials let baron opt out because they already knew that baron would be a risk long term and that they knew monta is possibly capable at the point.

djeller1139
07-10-2008, 01:04 AM
I believe Monta is young enough to learn the point, but he has already been incredibly succesful at SG, and i wouldn't want to ruin that if we can get a PG and use SJ or Maggette as an expensive 6th man. Especially if we can trade away some money then maybe go after a PF like Smith or Okafor..

FUGHIDDABOUTIT
07-10-2008, 03:12 PM

HE CANNOT HANDLE THE BALL THE WAY A POINT GUARD SHOULD BE ABLE TO. HIS LEFT HAND IS TO WEAK!!! GOD DAMN!!! IF HE'S A CAPABLE POINT GUARD, THEN WHY THE HELL DID THEY SIGN CJ WATSON FROM THE D LEAGUE MIDSEASON???!??:clap: NO NEED TO ELABORATE SINCE YOU GUYS SEEM TO HAVE YOUR MINDS MADE UP.

Tmac416
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
yea so he is wroking on it. tis what you do to get bbveter. chris paul couldnt shoot. j rich couldnt. bullips was supposed ot have no handle, steve nash was to slow and not handle. people go and work on their game. he can easily improve his ball handling. relax. omg i jsut read your little cj wastson coment. Becasue Monta was not playing point last year period. nelson wanted him strickly at the shooting gaurd. lol you cant pick out some 12th man who we gave a shot to as a reason ellis cant play point. lol thats really funny logic

FUGHIDDABOUTIT
07-10-2008, 04:03 PM
yea so he is wroking on it. tis what you do to get bbveter. chris paul couldnt shoot. j rich couldnt. bullips was supposed ot have no handle, steve nash was to slow and not handle. people go and work on their game. he can easily improve his ball handling. relax. omg i jsut read your little cj wastson coment. Becasue Monta was not playing point last year period. nelson wanted him strickly at the shooting gaurd. lol you cant pick out some 12th man who we gave a shot to as a reason ellis cant play point. lol thats really funny logic

funny logic? you are here trying to convince me that monta can play the point and then "Becasue Monta was not playing point last year period!!." haha ummm i think there's a reason to that..lol
That's because he is NOT a point guard!! shooting on the other hand is something you can always work on, BILLUPS was a good ball handler and that's why he was drafted so high because he was a good point guard coming out of college and steve nash had no handle???? hahaha r u kidding me??? do you watch sports or are you just one of those fantasy guys? you can't learn to be a point guard in the nba. **** kobe should be a point guard. point guard is the toughest position!!! i pity myself for having to type so much about this...

D-Train#35
07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Care to elaborate?

monta ellis can dribble teh balls

GiantsNinersW's
07-10-2008, 06:36 PM
When the team really needs a score, the pg drives and dishes it out for the jumpshot. Monta can do this people, he is already so skilled at driving and finishing and with his mid range, he could become a triple threat on the drive if he became a steve nash type passer with the same vision.

His passing and floor vision dramatically improved last season so there is every reason to believe its going to keep on improving. He could become one of the best point guards in the league, IMO.

He will do fine, I'm sure of that. After reading the interview with Nelly, I think it was yesterday, I got the impression he is very confident with monta at the point. There was no hesitation when he was asked who the point will be. It was all about monta.

He might struggle a bit in the early goings but I think he will finish the season entrenched in the role.

tru_warrior
07-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I would like Monta Ellis to become a point guard in the mold of a Tony Parker. Parker is one of the league leaders in scoring in the paint. He's just one of those really fast guys that you just can't seem to catch up to. Plus, Parker has really improved his mid range game...something Monta already has.

If Monta compares to anyone as a PG, I'd pick Parker.

FUGHIDDABOUTIT
07-10-2008, 11:19 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/10/SPIF11MK9J.DTL

"The loudest would be Ellis running the offense. His ball-handling does not inspire confidence. Nor does his size. Above all, he lacks the masterful presence of a point guard. That may change, but Ellis has always seemed more suited to the off-guard spot." Knapp-SF Chronicle.

Even this female knows what's up!:clap:

macbenz
07-11-2008, 12:23 AM
I C Jackson Bringing The Ball Up ... Ellis Might Say Pg On The Lineup But He Will Be A Scorrerrrrrrrrrrrrr

John408
07-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Ellis will be fine at Point. Whenever baron was on the bench and/or hurt. Ellis ran the point numerous times. It didnt always look pretty, but he was learning. This year, he will have the responsibility to do so. You guys are fighting for nothing. The warriors are fine. Remember, they are gonna be running the run and gun scheme.

Starting 5:
pg: Ellis
sg: Jackson
sf: Maggette
pw: Harrington or Wright
c: Beidrins

John408
07-13-2008, 04:38 AM
Aren't you guys sick of talking bout PG? Nelson already stated Ellis as being the point.

He will be fine.:clap:

TMAC94
07-13-2008, 06:25 AM
didnt he come into the league as PG? but play SG coz of davis?

cali72888
07-13-2008, 08:28 AM
yup played the point in highschool then was drafted as a point with us, he will be our pg and he will be fine.

giant_til_i_die
07-13-2008, 10:47 AM
doesn't matter what he played, he's a natural 2. stop opening up stupid threads saying this. theres no validity to this thread.

garlicboy
07-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Monta doesn't need to be a pure PG, just look at the success of Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker, Derek Fisher, Devin Harris, Jason Terry, etc. Parker and Billups have rings.

I love pure PG's, but ironically the best pure PG's of the game: J-Kidd and Nash have never won a ring. Neither have Paul, Williams or Calderon, but they are very young.

Monta can play the point, I guess people expect him to be the player and leader on the court that Baron was, but he just has to be himself. Rondo is not the leader of the Celts and look at thier success. Your PG doesn't have to be the leader of your team.

Monta averaged 3.9 assists a game last year and 4.1 the year prior.
I think he can get 2 or 3 more assists per game as the full time PG giving him a top 15-10 average.

Some 07-08 assist averages
Billups: 6.8
Parker: 6.0
Hinrich: 6.0
Alston: 5.3
Rondo: 5.1
Blake: 5.1
Monta: 3.9 (good for 35th)
Lowry: 3.6 (do we really want this guy as our PG?)

Tmac416
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
doesn't matter what he played, he's a natural 2. stop opening up stupid threads saying this. theres no validity to this thread.

no hes a natural scored, he is point a guard. and of course it matters where he played, your crazy. this thread is valid. if you dont likei t dont post

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-13-2008, 04:13 PM
funny logic? you are here trying to convince me that monta can play the point and then "Becasue Monta was not playing point last year period!!." haha ummm i think there's a reason to that..lol
That's because he is NOT a point guard!! shooting on the other hand is something you can always work on, BILLUPS was a good ball handler and that's why he was drafted so high because he was a good point guard coming out of college and steve nash had no handle???? hahaha r u kidding me??? do you watch sports or are you just one of those fantasy guys? you can't learn to be a point guard in the nba. **** kobe should be a point guard. point guard is the toughest position!!! i pity myself for having to type so much about this...

It appears people who do not watch the dubs play regularly just like to comment on anything like they do...

IF YOU DID FOLLOW THE DUBS ALL SEASON THEN YOU WOULD KNOW....

-that monta did handle the ball alot during games especially when baron would post up - THATS A FACT!

-Ellis brought the ball up the court most of the game.

-When Baron would sit on the bench Ellis ran the team along with Sjax more than anyother player.

Watching ellis handle last year showed glimpes of what he could be in a ball handler . He did not have a good assist to turnover ratio but everyone knew it wasnt going to be good even Nelson because hes learning a new position. He will get better at handling especially playing in Nelson's system being able to drive and kick out to the three all day hitting bellinelli, Sjax..

Whoever said it was going to be smooth for Ellis to transition.. It will take him a few season to acclimate to it and improve.. NO QUESTION...
Having Baron around the past few season has helped ellis. Continuing to have Sjax around being able to handle the ball will continue to help ellis as well.

Don't get me wrong, Ellis is a natural 2 guard, im just crossing my fingers he continues to progress into a good pg... I think he will.....

I WATCHED EVERY DUBS GAME THE PAST SEASON SO I KNOW. IF YOU HAVEN'T THEN DONT QUESTION.....

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-13-2008, 04:17 PM
monta ellis can dribble teh balls

thanks for your opinion........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................:cool:

John408
07-13-2008, 08:04 PM
It appears people who do not watch the dubs play regularly just like to comment on anything like they do...

IF YOU DID FOLLOW THE DUBS ALL SEASON THEN YOU WOULD KNOW....

-that monta did handle the ball alot during games especially when baron would post up - THATS A FACT!

-Ellis brought the ball up the court most of the game.

-When Baron would sit on the bench Ellis ran the team along with Sjax more than anyother player.

Watching ellis handle last year showed glimpes of what he could be in a ball handler . He did not have a good assist to turnover ratio but everyone knew it wasnt going to be good even Nelson because hes learning a new position. He will get better at handling especially playing in Nelson's system being able to drive and kick out to the three all day hitting bellinelli, Sjax..

Whoever said it was going to be smooth for Ellis to transition.. It will take him a few season to acclimate to it and improve.. NO QUESTION...
Having Baron around the past few season has helped ellis. Continuing to have Sjax around being able to handle the ball will continue to help ellis as well.

Don't get me wrong, Ellis is a natural 2 guard, im just crossing my fingers he continues to progress into a good pg... I think he will.....

I WATCHED EVERY DUBS GAME THE PAST SEASON SO I KNOW. IF YOU HAVEN'T THEN DONT QUESTION.....

I've been a Warriors Season Ticket holder for the past three years and attended 90% of the games watching the growth of Ellis.

Look People: He will be fine at point guard.

Done.:mad:

BayAreaBully
07-13-2008, 08:16 PM

he can

YEAH!

Bosh=nextKG
07-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Ey guys we all know Monta can dribble teh ball but he is a scorer. How are you gonna teach a natural scorer to become a pass first guard? It's tough, plus pg isn't all about being able to dribble the ball up teh court becasue in teh game today Randolph proved that he can bring the ball up teh court. Being a pg also involves havin court vision which I don't feel Monta has. He can't see plays being created. And he is always on teh scoring end of pretty plays. Like others habe said, Monta may be called the pg and he may even bring teh ball up across half court but once he does that sjax is gonna come up to take teh ball from him. I don't wanna take Monta away from his scoring. Thats all monta really knows how to do. Score

garlicboy
07-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Monta doesn't have to be a pass first PG.

Ever hear of Nat "Tiny" Archibald.

He averaged 34 pts and 11.4 assists one year with the Knicks. It is possible to be a scorer and a distributor.

Some people are just in love with the false dichotomies. "He's a PG=Pass first." Many times Baron was not a Pass first PG last year. He looked for his a lot of times. If you've ever followed Chauncey Billups' career, you'd know he's a scoring PG, not a pass first PG.

Bosh=nextKG
07-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah which is why i never liked baron. yeah and name a dude who can put up those kind of numbers in this common era. haha chauncy is deff a pass first pg, true he does pull up for 3 s quite a bit. Steve Nash won MVP 2 years in a row becasue he made his team alot better. It's true Monta doesn't have to be a pass first pg but i don't see him getting more than 4 dimes a game. He's the type of guy who frives to teh hopp but he won't dish is back out. Plus if you try to turn him into a pg, he may just lose focus on his scoring. ANd once again he doesn't have teh court vision. SO you go on and say you think everything will be alright and I hope it is, but im just being realistic here. Im not hatin on monta. All I'm sayin is the dude is a scorer and he shouldn't have to be given the resposibility of running the offense.

BayAreaBully
07-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Monta doesn't have to be a pass first PG.

Ever hear of Nat "Tiny" Archibald.

He averaged 34 pts and 11.4 assists one year with the Knicks. It is possible to be a scorer and a distributor.

Some people are just in love with the false dichotomies. "He's a PG=Pass first." Many times Baron was not a Pass first PG last year. He looked for his a lot of times. If you've ever followed Chauncey Billups' career, you'd know he's a scoring PG, not a pass first PG.

Yeah Buddy that was Back then when Nba Players can shoot a Jumper!!!!!

garlicboy
07-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Yeah Buddy that was Back then when Nba Players can shoot a Jumper!!!!!

And Monta can't? Where have you been?

Sports Illustrator
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
The team continues to make inquiries into acquiring a point guard, league sources said, though it appears unlikely that a big name like Chauncey Billups or Kirk Hinrich will be landing in Oakland soon. Indications are that the Warriors are intent on having Monta Ellis replace Baron Davis at the point and giving Ellis room to grow.

From San Francisco Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/14/SPJB11OM4E.DTL)

Lincoln Logs
07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah which is why i never liked baron. yeah and name a dude who can put up those kind of numbers in this common era. haha chauncy is deff a pass first pg, true he does pull up for 3 s quite a bit. Steve Nash won MVP 2 years in a row becasue he made his team alot better. It's true Monta doesn't have to be a pass first pg but i don't see him getting more than 4 dimes a game. He's the type of guy who frives to teh hopp but he won't dish is back out. Plus if you try to turn him into a pg, he may just lose focus on his scoring. ANd once again he doesn't have teh court vision. SO you go on and say you think everything will be alright and I hope it is, but im just being realistic here. Im not hatin on monta. All I'm sayin is the dude is a scorer and he shouldn't have to be given the resposibility of running the offense.

I've told you before that Monta averaged 4 assists a game last year as an SG. As a PG, he's just going to have more chances to get more, but it doesn't mean that will severly limit his scoring. As I told you before, it just means he has total control over making plays for his teamates as well as himself. Look at Baron, Parker, and even Paul, who averaged 24 points to show you that a PG can be a passer, but also a main scorer.

He was learning to be a PG last year when Baron was off the floor, he was a PG in highschool, I think his court vision will be fine.

garlicboy
07-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I played PG/SG but when your a SG your oportunities are limited. As a PG, you pick and choose when you want to score, so it makes scoring much easier and you don't have to press or rush at times plaing SG when you do get the ball.

At Hoop it Up, I'm a big man though. Actually with all the fights and arguments, I just switched to boxing.

Tmac416
07-14-2008, 10:14 PM
we had supserstar pg. how would ellis ever be able to show off his pg skills fully when the actual pg is davis. it was imposible

BaySportsOnly
07-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Alright this is my first post. I had just had to comment on this one. When I heard Baron was gone, I did have some misgivings about what Monta would be like at the point. But when I thought about it, I changed my mind. It's simple: Monta has all the tools to be a good point. He can pull up for a jumper and make it around 50% of the time from anywhere inside the three point line. He can drive the wing, the lane, the baseline and either create a shot for himself within 5 feet or get a wide open look for a teammate. He can handle the ball (his crossover is getting nasty) and his court vision and passing ability are both improving. Think back - while he was a great finisher, he also dished out for open looks often, hence the 4 assists pg. And he would get caught in the air a lot, but findd a way to pass out of it.

People who have mentioned Tony Parker - my thoughts exactly. I think Monta could even be better than Tony Parker within the next few years. He is ridiculously faster than any pg out there (mismatches?), a better scorer than most pgs, and with more time on the ball and a distributing mentality he gets up to 6 assists pg this year.

What do ya'll think on the stats for Monta? I'm thinking 22 ppg, 6 apg, 5 rpg 2 steals, 52% from the floor, 30% from three, 78% from the line. I mean those are pretty much all-star numbers. So think positive ya'll, we get to watch one of the most talented players in the NBA for the next several years. Who cares where he plays on the floor. No matter what, him being on the floor makes the team better, just surround him with other talented players, which the Dubs have.

garlicboy
07-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Way to put up the predicted numbers. It will be interesting to see how he will respond to added attention and defenders, but he had to deal with this last year.

The more I look at the Maggette signing, the more I see the reason, this replaces the scoring we lost from Baron's departure and also the pressure off of Monta. He still has 2 guys in Jack and Maggette to kick it out to.

I would love to write about Turiaf, but it's not guaranteed that we have him. If we get him, I think people are really overlooking the contribution he brings to the table.

Personally, I think the need for a low post scorer is OVERRATED. Mor than a low post scorer, we need a low post defender. I think the Bulls with Jordan proved that you don't need a low post scorer. We don't have Jordan, but we do have a Jordanesque penetrator in Monta in an era where handchecks are illegal.

Recently, the Mavs when they went to the Finals proved that you don't need a low post scorer to be successful. In fact they went to the Finals without a pure point guard and a traditional back to the basket scoer. And to be honest if we learn how to play together our squad will look just as good on paper as the Mavs finals squad. Not too mention, Randolph has the potential to make a Dirk like impact on offense and a Kirilenko like impact on defense.

This squad is going to be a lot of fun to watch.