PDA

View Full Version : Report: Murphy, Harlan believe Favre will stay retired

iam brett favre
07-09-2008, 09:21 PM
The current and former team presidents of the Green Bay Packers both believe that Brett Favre will remain retired, rather than come back for a hinted-at 18th season in the NFL, the Green Bay Press-Gazette reported.

Current team president and CEO Mark Murphy and chairman emeritus Bob Harlan, appearing at a charity auction in Fond Du Lac, Wis., as part of the team's "Tailgate Tour" through the state, said they took Favre at his word when he said in March that he was done with professional football.

"I keep going back to his retirement announcement and how sincere and heartfelt that was," Murphy said, according to the report. "I think it's pretty reasonable that, as an organization, we're going to move on."

"What I remember about him is he was ready to retire, and that's how I feel today," Harlan added, according to the newspaper. "I think down deep, that's exactly how he feels."

The Packers have yet to publicly address reports that Favre, who announced his retirement on March 6, again has "the itch" to play football.

Presumptive starting Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers didn't have much to say Wednesday morning on Favre's possible comeback.

Speaking on a conference call to promote his participation in a celebrity golf tournament, Rodgers said: "I'm not really going to speculate about any rumors that are out there."

Rodgers also said he hasn't spoken to Favre about a possible comeback.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported last week that Favre had communicated his potential desire to return to coach Mike McCarthy, but that talks had not advanced to a substantive stage. And a Milwaukee television station reported that Favre and Packers GM Ted Thompson had exchanged text messages, with Thompson saying he would talk with Favre once he returned from a vacation.

Favre has not publicly commented on the speculation, other than telling the Sun Herald of Biloxi, Miss., that "it's all rumor" and that there was "no reason" for a media frenzy.

But Packers players and officials have fielded plenty of questions about Favre's potential return.

"We've had 5-year-old kids ask us about it," Murphy said, according to the Press-Gazette. "It's obviously on a lot of people's minds."

Neither Murphy nor Harlan has spoken with Favre since the latest round of speculation began, according to the report. But both men believe Favre's mind is not yet made up.

"No player leaves the game gracefully," Murphy said, according to the newspaper. "It's kind of the nature of what makes great players great, is they're competitors and they always want to compete and they want that next challenge, and it's hard to find that next thing that's going to give you that excitement and adrenaline. That's what we're seeing a little bit here."

Harlan, Murphy's predecessor as team president, agreed.

"It's tough to any competitor to walk away," Harlan said, according to the report. "Whether you talk [golfer] Jack Nicklaus or no matter who it is, when you've been at the top, it's tough to turn your back on it, so I'm not surprised at all. I think you'd almost be more surprised if it were the other way."

source: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3479723)

:shrug: i dont know anymore.. and sorry if this has been posted

twelvePack
07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I saw the television interview, and it didn't look like Murphy was too confident in what he was saying. Actually, what did he say? Nothing, that's what. Harlan, well Harlan is an old idiot who shouldn't even be part of the Packers organization. I know a lot of people, including myself, give TT a lot of heat for not getting Moss, but it was Harlan who was behind that because TT actually wanted Moss until Harlan started running his mouth.

beast
07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Every named source is saying the same thing. That's Brett is retired, and most likely not trying to come back. Other than Scott Favre which discredits himself, about what he knows about Brett. And Brett called them just rumors.

Ryan Diesel
07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Yet TT and MM cut their vacations short, and the Packers sent an intermediary to Favre's house to try and talk him out of un-retiring.

twelvePack
07-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Yet TT and MM cut their vacations short, and the Packers sent an intermediary to Favre's house to try and talk him out of un-retiring.

Diesel there is almost no point in arguing with Beast. He just doesn't get it.

socalpkrbkr
07-10-2008, 12:33 AM
He's stuck in the "There's no story, it's all media" box.

hughest4
07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Every named source is saying the same thing. That's Brett is retired, and most likely not trying to come back. Other than Scott Favre which discredits himself, about what he knows about Brett. And Brett called them just rumors.

There is obviously something going on and they have to be more then just rumors. TT wouldn't cut his vacation short if it was just a rumor and there was no truth to it. I also can't think of anything else being important enough to make him stop his vaca early other then the whole Favre situation

ryanph30
07-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Wow I cant believe this is happening.

hawkeye
07-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Bob Harlan should heed his own advice and stay retired himself. What the hell is going on in upper management anyway? With Harlan hanging around, does that mean that Murphy is on double secret probation?

What needs to happen now that Ron Wolf is moving back to Green Bay is so simple. Murphy could become a HERO in Packerland by firing Teddy and bringing back Wolf for 2 years. Favre in turn agrees to play 2 more years, thus fulfilling his contract and can finally exit appropriately. Wolf and Favre ride off into the sunset together after the 09' season. We then hire Reggie McKenzie as the next GM and if Rodgers wants the job in 2010, terrific. If he's not cool with the scenario, dump him NOW -I'll bet Brohm would be very happy with this sceme.

Time for the Huckleberry Finn looking new President to grow the stones that Ted Thompson will NEVER have.

iam brett favre
07-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I really thought i heard on ESPN there would be a meeting today between them, maybe not.

SC PackerGuy
07-10-2008, 12:16 PM
They are just being Spin Doctors. Trying to sort of convince Favre that he made the right decisoin to retire without telling him directly.

beast
07-10-2008, 06:00 PM
an intermediary to Favre's house to try and talk him out of un-retiring.

So you know, what their talking about? Were you there? How do you know? Some prove would be nice.

He just doesn't get it.

Your right, I don't get why the media doesn't have the balls to prove this, and don't have the balls to name their source instead of hiding them, if their are any real sources.

He's stuck in the "There's no story, it's all media" box.

And your stuck in the "If I want to hear it, and the media says it I believe it" box. I'm guess asking for some to prove this is true, and isn't the media. Something , and thing to prove with out a doubt it's true. Can we get a Favre quote that it's true? NO, and in fact he went the other way with it, and said it's not true. Well what about the CEO?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=771012

CEO Mark Murphy says, “Officially, all we’ve heard from Brett is the retirement announcement in March.”

I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying I strongly think people should stop assuming it's true, before there is one fact to prove that's it's really and not just the media.

Ryan Diesel
07-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I thought Harlen retired a long time ago. He should be in a home by now.

Ryan Diesel
07-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Are you even a Packer fan beast?? Did you just become one? Favre has hardly ever talked to the media throughout his career. He's not into all that shi.. stuff. He has always let his agent or his friend Al Jones from the Biloxi Sun-Herald handle all of that stuff for him. As far as sources, how about Al Harris, he was on TV last week saying Favre told him he might be coming back. If that doesn't tell you there is at least "some" truth to these rumors then your too thick skulled and colorblind to see what's about to smash you right in the face.

beast
07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Are you even a Packer fan beast?? Did you just become one? Favre has hardly ever talked to the media throughout his career. He's not into all that shi.. stuff. He has always let his agent or his friend Al Jones from the Biloxi Sun-Herald handle all of that stuff for him. As far as sources, how about Al Harris, he was on TV last week saying Favre told him he might be coming back. If that doesn't tell you there is at least "some" truth to these rumors then your too thick skulled and colorblind to see what's about to smash you right in the face.

Yes, I'm a Packers fan, no I didn't just become one. Al Harris said Favre has an itch, which doesn't every player time time, and every player that just retired, and didn't every one say Favre was going to have a itch. And from what I've heard Harris said he doesn't know if Favre is. Doesn't know.

Also speaking of Al Jones, and the Biloxi Sun-Herald.

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/663221.html

Al Jones heard the rumors texted Brett and what did Brett have to text back?

"It's all rumor." and "No reason for it."

That sounds like Favre saying it's not true. But it's been in the media for over a week, if that happen it must be true right? No. It might be. But so far ever one with a named source other than Scott Favre who discredits himself, all say it's rumors and speculation.

Ryan Diesel
07-10-2008, 09:11 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/35597-packers-gm-no-likey-brett-favre

When the one guy who works for a small Mississippi newspaper that has broke pretty much every major Favre story EVER first, and gets all his information first hand from Favre and says something like this, theres obviously something to it. Well it's past the conspiracy theory now. I've been saying this for 4 years and have been treated like some nutcase in this forum for it. Well there you have it, the one guy in the press that basically has spoken for Favre for the last 16 years just said it. Thats credible enough for me. It's actually been extremely obvious if you ask me.

socalpkrbkr
07-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I looked at your link Diesel and I saw this comment. It basically sums it up for me, you and a few others around here.

"Do the right thing TT. Be a "Stand up guy" and let him play, don't silence him behind the scenes into retirement because of his loyalty. That's not right man, do the right thing this one time !!"