PDA

View Full Version : Keep your laws of my TV and Radio

FanofCubs
07-09-2008, 07:38 PM
We all decide what's on our TV and Radios. It's called the on off button and the tuner switch or remote control.

But the government wants to impose more rules restricting what is said.

They want to take that control away from us.

The driving force of radio and tv is the people because it's about ratings.

If 24/7 talk about the Cubs starting rotation brought ratings in there'd be a station doing it.

If 24/7 of arm farts brought ratings we'd have that.

Now 24/7 Cubs pitchers doing arm farts now that would be radio!

People don't seem to get if you don't like it TURN THE TV OR RADIO OFF!

DenButsu
07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
But the government wants to impose more rules restricting what is said.

They want to take that control away from us.

Can you provide some more detail about that, like maybe a sourced news article or something? It's an interesting topic, but I think we'd get more traction from it if there were an actual law or policy position for us to look at and give our opinions on.

Who in the government wants to do this?

What types of rules restricting what is said?

How exactly would control be taken away from us?

:cool: Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to add some mileage to the topic...

Max Power
07-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Freedom of speech/expression are good things, be it on TV, radio or a t-shirt they are very good things.

TxCubsFan
07-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I think, he can correct me if I'm wrong, that he's talking about those that wish to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine which basically forces radio and TV stations to devote equal time to both parties. In other words, if you have a conservative talk show on the air for 3 hours, you have to by law give 3 hours to a liberal talk show, even if the ratings are dismal and you can't make money on it.

sboyajian
07-11-2008, 12:14 AM
I think, he can correct me if I'm wrong, that he's talking about those that wish to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine which basically forces radio and TV stations to devote equal time to both parties. In other words, if you have a conservative talk show on the air for 3 hours, you have to by law give 3 hours to a liberal talk show, even if the ratings are dismal and you can't make money on it.

doubtful he is referring to that.. that isn't limited what you see or hear.

He is probably talking about all of the nutcase restriction bills Senator Brownback has been trying to pass for years now.

It all started with the Janet Jackson incident.

People in this country are lazy and self inflicting. I used to love when people would say "I listen to Howard Stern to hear what he'll say next.. I don't like him though.." and they are the first to complain about his topics.. it's like.. "hello.. moron.. if you don't like him... CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!".. there are plenty to choose from.

It used to also be that individuals had to contact the FCC to lodge a complaint.. now they field complaints from groups.

Like a religious group may complain if someone says an F word at 1 in the morning or a family advocacy group may complain if Texas Chainsaw Massacre was on a free movie channel..

it's getting out of hand.

ari1013
07-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't think that's what he's talking about, but I do have to agree with you that the Fairness Doctrine is really stupid.

With that said, even stupider are the paranoid Talk Radio hosts that think everyone's out to get them. I heard Monica Crowley go on an on about how bad net neutrality was because she thought it was just some subversive fairness doctrine. Just because the word neutrality is in it doesn't mean it's always about you.

Doc Fluty
07-16-2008, 07:50 PM
i think he was talking about the fairness doctrine also

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=56398