PDA

View Full Version : barry was almost a brave

Lady's Man
07-09-2008, 07:12 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/sports/baseball/11chass.html

Ph1lly Diehard
07-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Very interesting..

But all good things happen for a reason.

It was just ment to be

ugafan
07-09-2008, 07:49 PM
We still raped the division he next 10+ years without him :shrug:

Arsenal17
07-09-2008, 08:11 PM
When I read that it made me realize how bad Bonds took advantage of the Giants letting him do whatever he wanted over the years.......

H-MYK
07-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Bonds is a bum. That is all.

m26555
07-09-2008, 08:28 PM
We still raped the division he next 10+ years without him :shrug:
That doesn't really mean that much when you only have one World Series title to show for it.

Cubsjunkie
07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
I thought that sounded familiar. I read that book, "Built to Win." It was a good book, it was very informative. It was pretty interesting how that Bonds deal didn't work go through.

The A Team
07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
The part about Glavine was interesting. He certainly did make a mistake signing in NY, but at least he got a fat paycheck for it.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Barry wanted to be a Giants, I doubt he would have resigned. He wanted to follow after his father and god father.

dcannon456
07-09-2008, 11:47 PM
When I read that it made me realize how bad Bonds took advantage of the Giants letting him do whatever he wanted over the years.......

oh please its the giants job as an organization to maintain and regulate the teams happenings on and off the field. Bonds took what they were willing to give. and you cant blame him for that.

dcannon456
07-09-2008, 11:49 PM
i read somewhere else thatglavine had been talking to his wife about how after he had signed the contract with new york he had a change of heart and didnt want to be a met. he was actually ready to write a letter of retirement and end his baseball career but his wife convinced him that he had already made a commitment and needed to stick to it. maybe it was in "Living on the black" or maybe it was just an article,

homestarunner93
07-10-2008, 12:37 AM
i read somewhere else thatglavine had been talking to his wife about how after he had signed the contract with new york he had a change of heart and didnt want to be a met. he was actually ready to write a letter of retirement and end his baseball career but his wife convinced him that he had already made a commitment and needed to stick to it. maybe it was in "Living on the black" or maybe it was just an article,

Maybe Elton Brand should've asked Glavine's wife for advice...

Jilly Bohnson
07-10-2008, 02:52 AM
That doesn't really mean that much when you only have one World Series title to show for it.

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. I'm much rather have a team that's damn good year in and year out for more than a decade and doesn't win a title than some team that's one and done and goes on to be ****ty for the next decade. Are you seriously telling me you think the The Marlins were a better franchise from 1993 to 2004 than the Braves? The Marlins got more titles, but were under .500 in every year that didn't end in a WS except 04, where they were just over .500.

As for the topic at hand, if they had gotten Bonds they would not have gotten Maddux. It'd be really interesting to see where he would have ended up, and how the Braves would have done without him but with Bonds.

odiz
07-10-2008, 09:05 AM
That trade would have gone down as the worst in history, Pena had two years of 4.50+ era relief before he retired and Mitchell had like 200 abs for his entire career.

odiz
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. I'm much rather have a team that's damn good year in and year out for more than a decade and doesn't win a title than some team that's one and done and goes on to be ****ty for the next decade. Are you seriously telling me you think the The Marlins were a better franchise from 1993 to 2004 than the Braves? The Marlins got more titles, but were under .500 in every year that didn't end in a WS except 04, where they were just over .500.

As for the topic at hand, if they had gotten Bonds they would not have gotten Maddux. It'd be really interesting to see where he would have ended up, and how the Braves would have done without him but with Bonds.

I think Bonds would have put them over the top. In the playoffs they had a future hall of famer starting every game, it was their offense that held them back.

m26555
07-10-2008, 10:29 AM

1. Did I say that? Don't put words in my mouth.
2. The Marlins won two championships since coming into the league in 1993. How many have the Braves won during that span? Hmm...yeah. The Braves are definitely more successful. :rolleyes:

I think the Braves would be MORE than happy to trade all of those division titles for one of the Marlins' rings.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I think Bonds would have put them over the top. In the playoffs they had a future hall of famer starting every game, it was their offense that held them back.

Playoffs are a crapshoot

tomrut
07-10-2008, 04:01 PM
it would have been interesting to see. But would Barry have been hiting the 70 home runs without the cream or the clear. Unfortunately the world will never know how things would have gone.

FriarFanatic
07-10-2008, 04:02 PM
that wouldnt fit

Jilly Bohnson
07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
1. Did I say that? Don't put words in my mouth.
2. The Marlins won two championships since coming into the league in 1993. How many have the Braves won during that span? Hmm...yeah. The Braves are definitely more successful. :rolleyes:

I think the Braves would be MORE than happy to trade all of those division titles for one of the Marlins' rings.

1. You implied it.
2. That's what I was asking, do you think that 2 rings and 9 bad years is better than 11 good years that only include 1 ring, and apparently you do. I literally could not disagree more. I'm not trying to slam you, sorry if it comes off that way, but I seriously just COMPLETELY disagree with you. I would rather my team make the playoffs for 15 years and never win a ring than have them win one ring and suck every other year.

odiz
07-10-2008, 11:02 PM
1. You implied it.
2. That's what I was asking, do you think that 2 rings and 9 bad years is better than 11 good years that only include 1 ring, and apparently you do. I literally could not disagree more. I'm not trying to slam you, sorry if it comes off that way, but I seriously just COMPLETELY disagree with you. I would rather my team make the playoffs for 15 years and never win a ring than have them win one ring and suck every other year.

Teams play to win it all, you dont go into a season saying i hope we win the division but after that i dont care. World Series are how you judge a teams succes because thats what everyones striving for. Im not a Braves fan but if i were i know i would have much rather won a few WS and had a few losing seasons over the last 15 years then won the division every year with only 1 ring to show for it.

rriders9
07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Braves wouldve been dope if they got him

rriders9
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Teams play to win it all, you dont go into a season saying i hope we win the division but after that i dont care. World Series are how you judge a teams succes because thats what everyones striving for. Im not a Braves fan but if i were i know i would have much rather won a few WS and had a few losing seasons over the last 15 years then won the division every year with only 1 ring to show for it.

agreed

jmb8311
07-10-2008, 11:51 PM
they just talked about the Braves run of titles on ESPN tonight on their "baseball records that won't ever be broken" special. Interesting watch if you guys happen to catch the replay sometime (which you surely will since ESPN loves nothing more than promoting themselves)

C-ross12
07-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Im pretty sure thats not what JB is saying. And I diagree because I believe the regular season is a better indicator then the playoffs. Its possible for good teams to have a bad series, and if it happens to be in the playoffs, crap.
I would rather be the Braves fan then the Marlins fan, by a long shot. I hated watching the cubs team a couple years ago, and several Cubs teams even before that. If you got a chance to see 15 or so years of great baseball, even if you only get 1 ring, you take it. Or I know I would.

jmtapia
07-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Consistency is what makes a franchise good. Being able to be smart enough to develop a farm that produces players, knowing when to sign FAs, and when to take a risk on certain players is what makes teams great. The Atlanta Braves have for the last 15-17 years had one if not the best front office in baseball. Winning one or two seasons is just about plugging player you need to make run. However, keeping those players to make a run year after year is the hardest thing to do. Finding ways to make your team compete is even harder.

IM not saying that the Braves are better with 14 straight division titles and only 1 WS then the Marlins whom have 2 WS and as many playoff runs. But i can say that im damn happy im a Braves fan. I know that year in year out our GM and front office will bust their ***es to get us a team that will compete year in year out. It might not always work out that way but its certainly not a lack of effort. And that as a fan is the best filling of the world.

Jilly Bohnson
07-11-2008, 01:51 AM

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from, I just completely disagree. But I would prefer the Cubs to win the division each year for the next ten years and not get a ring in that entire time, than for them to win it all this year and be a joke franchise every year for the next ten years. That's just me though.

THE_FLASH_21
07-11-2008, 02:08 AM

All we need is one... Don't hate u sad little person!!!