PDA

View Full Version : Jose's backup PG...

ArtVandelay
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
The O'neal trade was obviously huge for the raptors, and addressed their biggest concern from last year...but by trading TJ Ford they may created a new hole. Am I the only one here thats worried about who can take over when Jose is either sitting, or possibly injured? Do the raps have enough cap space to add a decent back-up PG or combo guard?

brebre82
07-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Uh, Ukic?

mpickup
07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Ukic will be coming........he may play some SG as well. As a third PG, NO NOT UNCLE DERRICK, Daniel Ewing, Jon Lucas, or some other summer league player would do the trick!

Cortez
07-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Shaun Livingston
i would love to see this guy on the team

Young953
07-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I think daniel ewing would be a great add also i would like to see joel bosh as a 14th man

Sixers&Raptors7
07-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Anyone else watch this on Rap TV/The Score?

Sam hinted at the fact of a 3rd PG being brought in,and that Roko will have to fight for his minutes.

ArtVandelay
07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
i should have mentioned that i already knew about roko ukic, but does anyone know anything about this guy (stats?)other than he was in the italian league? can we trust that he will be a decent backup, or is he a gamble? it would be nice to have an nba-proven backup, i just dont know if the raps have the cap space to add one

coolmo
07-09-2008, 04:09 PM
that's what i was going to post!
there will be 3rd or even 2nd back up combo guard

clehmun
07-09-2008, 04:26 PM
there better be another PG.
do we really want to rely a rookie from europe to be our only other PG?
he might be good, but in his first year i don't want him to play more than 15 minutes a game, and average 8-10 minutes.

what happens if calderon misses games? i don't want roko to be our starting point.

_Sn1P3r_
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
We need a veteran PG.

_Sn1P3r_
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
We have a MLE to use.

The Wise 1
07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Darrell Armstrong

gbus
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
People keep saying we need a combo guard. Fine, say we get a combo guard. What happens Jose gets injured? That combo guard better be able to run an offence because if his primary goal is to get buckets for himself, the quality of our offence will go down quite a bit. When i think combo guard, i generally think of a SG in a PG's body (like a bunch of the top draft picks this year) although that's not true, what it is is a guy who can play SG and PG. The way i see it, Roko is more of that combo guard people here seem to want, i'm not confident he could steer our offence to success with Jose out, not yet anyways, and for those reasons, we need a PG with a Jose-like point guard mentality as a backup. Think Anthony Carter. Roko might turn out to be more smooth as a scorer than he is as a playmaker off the hop, and in my mind, we can't rely on him for anything.

ramz.n
07-09-2008, 08:51 PM
We have a MLE to use.

i don't think we want to be over the luxury tax

ramz.n
07-09-2008, 08:56 PM
there better be another PG.
do we really want to rely a rookie from europe to be our only other PG?
he might be good, but in his first year i don't want him to play more than 15 minutes a game, and average 8-10 minutes.

what happens if calderon misses games? i don't want roko to be our starting point.

You don't want Roko to be our starting point guard if Calderon gets hurt?..i hear where your coming from..but my stapling him on the bench wont let the raptors know his potential, wont let us see if he can actually be a backup and without playing time hes not going to improve his game and adjust to the NBA..you gotta take a chance .. look who the Piston's started in the playoff's (Stuckey) when Billup's was out with a hammy..even though they lost, they lost to the best team who won the title.

Raptors27
07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Mike James anyone? lmao

Goon.Weezy
07-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Mike James anyone? lmao

HAHAH FUNNY

AgentViet
07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
This may be in the homer in me, but I don't think we need a back up PG. I think Roko is a stud and will bring in 8/5 his first year in limited PT.

HoopsMachine
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
i don't think we want to be over the luxury tax

unless the rules changed recently MLE doesn't count towards our salary cap or more specifically if we are over that we won't have to pay dollar for dollar past the threshold

pauljames
07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
i want some shaun livingston

Fion
07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
unless the rules changed recently MLE doesn't count towards our salary cap or more specifically if we are over that we won't have to pay dollar for dollar past the threshold

it does count towards the luxary threshold. So if the raps use the mle it would put them over.

deaner
07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
For me, Delfino offered the ball handling skills we needed to complement Jose and Ukic... while adding depth to our 2 and 3 spots as well... oh well... maybe there's a Kapono trade in the works...

argo
07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Armstrong, Dixon, Mason or Hunter

clehmun
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
You don't want Roko to be our starting point guard if Calderon gets hurt?..i hear where your coming from..but my stapling him on the bench wont let the raptors know his potential, wont let us see if he can actually be a backup and without playing time hes not going to improve his game and adjust to the NBA..you gotta take a chance .. look who the Piston's started in the playoff's (Stuckey) when Billup's was out with a hammy..even though they lost, they lost to the best team who won the title.

no i don't want him to start.
it's only his rookie season if he comes this year. we have lots of time to see his potential. like any other player, if he plays well, he'll get playing time, if he doesn't he'll be benched.
also, he doesn't have to start for us to see his potential. not starting and not getting playing time are two totally different things. he can get time off the bench. i just don't want to rely on him.

clehmun
07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
i don't want or think we will use the FULL MLE on a PG.
part of it maybe, but surely not the whole thing.

one of the reasons we traded TJ was because we didn't want to invest too much on one position.
what's the point if we traded away TJ's 8-9 million a year, just to sign another backup for 6 million?

ArtVandelay
07-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Since i started this thread i did a little more research on roko ukic, and from what i saw in highlight packages from him, he has the jose-type potential plus he has longer arms that could allow him to defend at the 2. i still think the raps should attempt to invest in a darrell armstrong/tony allen/roger mason type of guard who is nba-prven and could at least help the raps get by if calderon is sitting or out with an injury.

if any1 wants to see these packages that i saw here's the links

VS Toronto preseason game: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqsUYLxf7U8
VS Real Madrid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhw_vfbZsdY

Diego_Le
07-10-2008, 12:03 AM
looks like Mason is gone so check him off your list.

ink
07-10-2008, 12:26 AM
From what I read today it looks like Sam is expecting the Raps to come up with a backup to Jose who will compete with Ukic for minutes. Ukic is not necessarily the backup.

Dragan
07-10-2008, 12:42 AM
ukic is expected to have loads of talent, as BC says but we need a veteran pg to help ukic and support calderon

boston08champs
07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
sam cassell anyone? lol

deaner
07-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I found 2 things odd from the media day yesterday.

1. BC while thanking Jose for changing the structure of his deal to keep the raps under the tax threshold.... emphasized that they would not be FORCED to trade thanks to Jose... but to me it sounded like it was a timing thing and BC was poised to make one more deal. Did anyone else hear that in his voice?

2. When Sam was mentioning all the great talent he had to work with... Bargs was absent.... I think JO was the only one to mention Bargs in the 40 minutes of video I saw.

argo
07-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I found 2 things odd from the media day yesterday.

1. BC while thanking Jose for changing the structure of his deal to keep the raps under the tax threshold.... emphasized that they would not be FORCED to trade thanks to Jose... but to me it sounded like it was a timing thing and BC was poised to make one more deal. Did anyone else hear that in his voice?

2. When Sam was mentioning all the great talent he had to work with... Bargs was absent.... I think JO was the only one to mention Bargs in the 40 minutes of video I saw.

if there's a deal to be made that will make the raps better, i think BC will do it. there's still some holes to be filled, and we've got bargaining chips in Bargnani, Kapono, Humphries, and Graham.

caseywb14
07-10-2008, 01:28 PM
From those you tube video's Ukic looked really good, he had great court vison and was a good passer, I think he will do just fine.

WeaponXXX
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Well, I saw Deflino running quiet a bit of point last year. If we can retain his services, maybe we can have him split the duties with him and Ukic?

I don't think our point guard situation is going to be that bad...

I say Calderon averages 35 minutes a game? 36? so there is 12 minutes to spare for someone. Deflino can take 4 minutes... Parker can take 2 and Ukic can take 6.... or whatever combination you want.

BUT if Deflino doesn't sign.

We should gamble on Livingston since they released him so that they can clear salary room. OR SMUSH PARKER(a bigger gamble... could be a cancer).

pauljames
07-10-2008, 03:22 PM
once again, shaun livingston, he was released, lets get him a workout, see how his knee is. If he still has it in him, give him another chance.