PDA

View Full Version : Are the Orlando Magic Good Enough to take the East this year?

JordansBulls
07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Are the Orlando Magic Good Enough to take the East this year?

Now with the signing of Pietrus who I assume will play SG with Hedo at SF or vice versa, does anyone think the Magic are good enough now to take the East?

PG Nelson
SG Pietrus
SF Hedo
PF Rashard
C Dwight

Silver.
07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Well,I dont think so.
Its not that they've gotten worse I just think other teams have gotten better(I.e Toronto,Philly,Millwaukee)

Gorgon2k
07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
/\ What he Said, Precisely

bostncelts34
07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
good enough..possibly. will they? no.

They are definitly an upcoming team..but theres just a few teams i dont think they can beat out.. (detroit, boston) and as the previous poster said..upcoming teams like toronto and philly and wash could make it tough for them

Beasley'sBeauty
07-09-2008, 02:47 PM
They were good this year but the East got a lot better with Philly, Toronto, Miami and of course Boston.

Jameer is too small and Howard needs to develop some post moves and a good mid-range jumper. I think they took a step backwards, cause Pietrus is not that good. They should have resigned Dooling.

I think their in the same conversation as Cleveland. They look good on paper.

JIDsanity
07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
No Lewis isn't a PF. When they discover that then they will most likely place him at SG, and find a PF.

Reezy
07-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Well,I dont think so.
Its not that they've gotten worse I just think other teams have gotten better(I.e Toronto,Philly,Millwaukee)

Toronto and Philadelphia are definitely the teams that can really tear it up this year.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
No Lewis isn't a PF. When they discover that then they will most likely place him at SG, and find a PF.

Playing lewis at pf is a bad spot for him. They need a true 4 in order to take it to the next level.

The Melky Way
07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
They have a solid starting five and Dwight is still progressing into a monster, they will definitely win the Southeast, but the East is still the Pistons and Celtics to lose.

The Magic, after the Pietrus signing, will have to do their best to stretch their BAE and use veteran's minimum to go out and get a backup PG (possibly Jason Williams) and a bigman as insurance if Battie goes down again (possibly Kwame Brown). Pietrus was a good signing and Lee was a good pick, but we really didn't address what we really needed up to this point to be a major improvement.

I would probably leave the Magic with the 4th best record in the East next season

BigDaddyKaine
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
No

Liney3506
07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Nope. Their teams works around their shooting. When they're cold, they're horrendous.

ManRam
07-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Lewis at SG??? No way. He's 6-10. He is best off at SF, but he is more of a PF than a SG. He is tall, and he is quicker than most PFs. Defensively, sometimes it's a bad mismatch, but offensively, sometimes it's a huge advantage. Battie being healthy will help. He will get some minutes, and against the bigger teams, we have another big body to play. Lewis did a great job on Sheed in the playoffs, let's not forget.

I don't think they are quite there yet, but they'll be a tough out in the playoffs.

JordansBulls
07-09-2008, 04:40 PM
They have a solid starting five and Dwight is still progressing into a monster, they will definitely win the Southeast, but the East is still the Pistons and Celtics to lose.

The Magic, after the Pietrus signing, will have to do their best to stretch their BAE and use veteran's minimum to go out and get a backup PG (possibly Jason Williams) and a bigman as insurance if Battie goes down again (possibly Kwame Brown). Pietrus was a good signing and Lee was a good pick, but we really didn't address what we really needed up to this point to be a major improvement.

I would probably leave the Magic with the 4th best record in the East next season

They should be able to handle the Pistons now that the Pistons are getting older.

Dwight has to play better in the playoffs for that to happen.

yaowowrocket11
07-09-2008, 04:42 PM
They will definitely be in the top 4.

Do I think they overtake the Celtics? No.
Do I think they will beat the Pistons for #2? Maybe.

arlubas
07-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Lewis at SG??? No way. He's 6-10. He is best off at SF, but he is more of a PF than a SG. He is tall, and he is quicker than most PFs. Defensively, sometimes it's a bad mismatch, but offensively, sometimes it's a huge advantage. Battie being healthy will help. He will get some minutes, and against the bigger teams, we have another big body to play. Lewis did a great job on Sheed in the playoffs, let's not forget.

I don't think they are quite there yet, but they'll be a tough out in the playoffs.

I've been saying all along that Battie was a far bigger loss for you guys than everyone realised. Gave you no depth whatsoever in the PF position and you didn't have a lot of true bigs to begin with. Having him back will be very beneficial for you guys.

Oh and completely agree with your last sentence, they are in the top4 right now easily in the East but I still think Boston and Detroit are the EC Finalists assuming of course that Boston doesn't have a major drop off in production from any of their big three and Detroit doesn't trade away 2 guys from their core which is something being talked about right now.

_Sn1P3r_
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Not yet good enough to take the East. They have potential though. I agree with you guys. Orlando needs a true PF.

XJW18
07-09-2008, 06:37 PM
i think id rather play Hedo at the PF
and Rashard at the 3

Reezy
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
and Rashard at the 3
I think Lewis is more aggressive down low compared to Hedo.

ManRam
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I've been saying all along that Battie was a far bigger loss for you guys than everyone realised. Gave you no depth whatsoever in the PF position and you didn't have a lot of true bigs to begin with. Having him back will be very beneficial for you guys.

I agree. Battie is no star, but I remember last offseason talking about how we cold play big (Nelson/Hedo or SG/Shard/Battie/Howard) or small (Nelson/SG/Hedo/Lewis/Howard), and switch it up to cause match up problems. We were never able to go big which limited us offensively and defensively.He is a solid veteran, who can rebound, defend and score a little.

I read some power ranking today where it said that the Magic would finish 6th or 7th because "they've done nothing to get better". I think getting Battie back healthy, and signing a defensive-minded Pietrus is going to help us more than people think. They aren't big names, but they fill two big needs the Magic have: big man depth, and perimeter defense.

I don't think the Magic can win it all with Shard at PF, but I do think they can get to the ECF with Shard at the 4. He is 6-10, and he has had some great defensive games, most notably shutting down Sheed in the playoffs. I think it's a less of a problem than most think. However, if he did play the 3, he'd dominate in this offense. It definitely is more ideal to have him at the 3, but he isn't a horrible PF.

ManRam
07-09-2008, 06:41 PM
and Rashard at the 3

What Reezy said...plus, Hedo was basically a point forward for us all year. He is much more of a perimeter playmaker than Rashard is. Shard is tougher, a little longer, and less quick...all making him more ideal to play the 4.

If anything, the Magic would play Hedo at the 2 (not anymore) and Shard at the 3. But Hedo will never, ever, ever play PF.

roo3flash
07-09-2008, 07:00 PM
i dont think they can get to the finals