PDA

View Full Version : Jays Gonna Throw In The Towellll???

mmmdelish
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
The Blue Jays are now 12.5 games out in the AL East and 9.5 games out of the wild card. Baseball Prospectus puts their playoff chances at roughly 1%. GM J.P. Ricciardi admitted yesterday that the jays playoff chances are probably not good

Now comes news that starter Dustin McGowan has been pitching with a sore shoulder for several starts. An MRI is scheduled today. a serious injury to McGowan would impact A.J. Burnett's availability.I assume it'd make the Jays more likely to throw in the towel and trade Burnett.

The Phillies seem to be Burnett's most likely suitor, if they don't end up getting Erik Bedard. Or maybe the Cardinals will jump into the NL Central arms race and pursue him. The Dodgers are another possibility.

viktor06
07-09-2008, 02:09 PM
They shouldve throw in the towel ages ago, there are currently 4 better teams in the division

Joba Rules!!
07-09-2008, 02:12 PM
JP is gone after this year I bet.

DaSox_05
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Nice the White Sox will take Roy Halladay for Juan Uribe ;)

JaysAddict43
07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
only if we get danks and floyd for mcdonald ;)

bartlett2266
07-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Nice the White Sox will take Roy Halladay for Juan Uribe ;)

stay off the crack buddy doc is going no where

DaSox_05
07-09-2008, 03:39 PM
stay off the crack buddy doc is going no where

I think you need to get a chill pill obvisously I was kidding around!

Sc00py
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Trade Burnett, the Jays are done.

Tragedy
07-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah, agreed. He should have been gone before that, though. It's just sad that it took them as long as it did to dump that pile of **** manager of theirs.

Trade Burnett, the Jays are done.
Agreed. He's opting out at seasons end anyways, so I'm sure there is a team out there that would take him as a rental. Since the Brewers and Cubs have clearly thrown their names out there as trying to win it all this year, why not the Cardinals? They're a team that wanted him so badly when he was a FA last time around.

We'll see.

TheBatchelor213
07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
As a Dodger fan we do not need Burnett, if anything we need to consider moving Lowe if we can get equal return. As for the Jays, what do you think??? They are going nowhere. They should unload everybody they can.

JaysAddict43
07-09-2008, 11:51 PM
well..safe to say Burnett's value plummetted a bit today?

76YazwSideburns
07-09-2008, 11:53 PM
As a Dodger fan we do not need Burnett, if anything we need to consider moving Lowe if we can get equal return. As for the Jays, what do you think??? They are going nowhere. They should unload everybody they can.

I think fans of every other MLB club could probably say that they don't need Burnett either........An 11 million dollar pitcher who's currently 5.00+ ERA and 1 game over .500.

To paraphrase Bill Veeck - I don't mind paying for the stars, it's the mediocrity I hate paying for.

Anyone who thinks they're going to get better by signing this guy, well, they're wrong - they'll stay, roughly, the same. His career numbers bear it out.

Tragedy
07-09-2008, 11:53 PM

Unless he got injured today, his trade value will hardly "plummet" because of one bad outing.

TheBatchelor213
07-09-2008, 11:54 PM

Safe to say :D

76YazwSideburns
07-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Unless he got injured today, his trade value will hardly "plummet" because of one bad outing.

Exactly, it should have been steadily declining since the beginning of the year.

I find it strange that this is such a hot topic - he's a .500 pitcher. He always has been and indications are, always will.

Too many people get blinded by his amazing stuff to realize his peripherals are poor (save K/9).

JaysAddict43
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
just felt that his last outing basically sums up his career and term with the jays .. ..
ex.
PITCHER ONE: 4 ip 7k's 2 bb 2 hits 1 ER
Pitcher TWO: 6ER 0k's 1IP ..

He will probably be an A level and get one pick for him.. so i say we trade him, but if we sweep o's and atek 2/3 from y anks or sweep them.. then hey were at .500 going into ASB with tons of ball left to be played. Never know.

TheBatchelor213
07-10-2008, 12:03 AM
just felt that his last outing basically sums up his career and term with the jays .. ..
ex.
PITCHER ONE: 4 ip 7k's 2 bb 2 hits 1 ER
Pitcher TWO: 6ER 0k's 1IP ..

He will probably be an A level and get one pick for him.. so i say we trade him, but if we sweep o's and atek 2/3 from y anks or sweep them.. then hey were at .500 going into ASB with tons of ball left to be played. Never know.

cannot fault that kind of optimism

76YazwSideburns
07-10-2008, 12:06 AM
You could fault that kind of optimism it if you pointed out that they'd be losing one starter in Burnett and have potentially lost another in McGowan (rotator cuff tear) for the season. For a team that really only has its pitching going for it and they lose those two.......well what do they have? Huge bounce back second halves from the entire roster?

Jays finish the year .500 or slightly better.

TheBatchelor213
07-10-2008, 12:16 AM
You could fault that kind of optimism it if you pointed out that they'd be losing one starter in Burnett and have potentially lost another in McGowan (rotator cuff tear) for the season. For a team that really only has its pitching going for it and they lose those two.......well what do they have? Huge bounce back second halves from the entire roster?

Jays finish the year .500 or slightly better.

So he does not have the right to be optimistic. . . . ummmmm ok. Realism and optimism, two different things.

76YazwSideburns
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
So he does not have the right to be optimistic. . . . ummmmm ok. Realism and optimism, two different things.

Well, I just re-read my post and failed to see where it says "he does not have the right to be optimistic".....probably because it doesn't say that.

I just said that you could fault his optimism - which you could - because it's obviously blind optimism, which is kind of like fantasy. Especially with Marcum on the 15 day DL as well.

Keep up the misreading though, it ought to help you to continue to post nonsense at a steady clip.

PS - Thanks for the clarification about realism and optimism.

The A Team
07-10-2008, 12:01 PM

Call up Pat Gillick, the Phils would love to have Lowe. What do you consider equal return?

bartlett2266
07-10-2008, 12:13 PM
As a jays fan they should throw in the towel try to unload Burnett Rolen Eckstein Stairs we could even give some off there deep bullpen which is always a hot comodity with contenders we should be able to get some descent young talent for some of these guys

McJoe
07-10-2008, 12:22 PM
even with McGowan having a torn rotator cuff and out at least a month i the rest of this week is what will decide on whether or not they trade away Burnett and a couple others. If they get to the All star break at below .500 i think there is a trade by the time the break is over.

Burnett will be moved, most likely Eckstein, maybe one of Zaun or Barajas, maybe Stairs, Stewart to be DFAd, most of the pen could be available, but none of Rolen, Wells, Rios, Hill, Lind, Doc, Dusty, Marcum, Litsch, Ryan, Accardo, Downs, Carlson, Purcey will be traded

I could see a couple things:
Burnett - Phillies, Cardinals, Dodgers, maybe even the Mets
Eckstein - Orioles(apparently are pushing hard for him), Dodgers

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I would love to see burnett in a Cards uni

Ragun
07-10-2008, 01:26 PM

I hope so.

pebloemer
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I hope so.

Indeed, he did well at the start, but when the core was assembled, he never got the other pieces together. Bye bye JP. Burnett definately needs to go....