PDA

View Full Version : Magic to sign Jason Williams??

ManRam
07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Orlando Magic could sign former Gator Jason Williams as backup point guard

Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
11:49 AM EDT, July 9, 2008

NBA veteran Jason Williams, the former Florida Gator who helped the Miami Heat win a championship in 2006, wants to fill the Orlando Magic's role as a backup point guard to Jameer Nelson.

Williams, 32, has played for the Sacramento Kings, Memphis Grizzlie and Miami Heat. He became an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Magic already have spoken about the possibility with Williams' agent Dan Tobin.

They had tried earlier this month to sign point guard Chris Duhon to fill the spot, but he signed with the New York Knicks earlier today. They also are talking with a couple other veteran guards, including Keyon Dooling.

The Magic committed much of their mid-level salary cap exception to Mickael Pietrus, a shooting guard/small forward from Golden State who will replace Maurice Evans.

"We've talked with five or six teams and Orlando is one of them,'' Tobin said. "I think Jason would be a perfect fit with the Magic. He could still start for a number of teams, but he'd also be able to work well in tandem with another starter.''

Williams, who was unavailable for comment Wednesday, has made Orlando his offseason home since coming to the NBA in 1998 as the No. 7 pick in the draft.

His best game last season for Miami came against the Magic in Orlando when he had 34 points and seven assists.

All we have to offer is the rest of the MLE (whatever tiny amount is left) and the veterans minimum. I'm not sure how much more he could get, but he's probably at the point of his career where location means more than money. He'd be a great option to have back up Nelson.

LayZbone
07-09-2008, 01:32 PM
i always liked j-will back in the day. it was sad to see him in a shell of his former self on miami...btw, you're up in the redraft Manram.

Westbrook36
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
He would be a very good pickup for your guys

Reezy
07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Jason Williams >>>>>>>>> Carlos Arroyo.

Edit: Just in case anybody gets confused, I mean he's way much better than Arroyo.

letsgofish
07-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Jason Williams >>>>>>>>> Carlos Arroyo.

Edit: Just in case anybody gets confused, I mean he's way much better than Arroyo.

no hes not at all. j will has bad knees, cant hit a 3, and plays terrible defense. have fun with that

Reezy
07-09-2008, 02:36 PM
no hes not at all. j will has bad knees, cant hit a 3, and plays terrible defense. have fun with that

You obviously didn't watch Arroyo at all for the past few years he played with the Magic. I promise you, any PG that can pass the ball holds more value than Arroyo. Have fun with that since Miami seems likely to sign him.

letsgofish
07-09-2008, 02:42 PM
You obviously didn't watch Arroyo at all for the past few years he played with the Magic. I promise you, any PG that can pass the ball holds more value than Arroyo. Have fun with that since Miami seems likely to sign him.

williams cant get on the flor and has to take games off to rest his knees. and we arent going to sign arroyo.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
His health is an issue so I'm not sure if he is a answer to depth at Point Guard.

ManRam
07-09-2008, 02:53 PM

I don't get why people like Arroyo. I saw Knicks fans praying to get him to be their starter...which blew my mind. You'd think a guy with his handle and speed could be a good player in the league, but you're mistaken. He's horrible, and absolutely stunk it up last year. He brings nothing to the table when on the court. He is a detriment.

Williams isn't anything special, but we only need about 15 minutes a game from him. He has health issues, but his veteran leadership, good ball handling and passing is an asset. I hope we sign him.

*Superman*
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I hope we get him. He is a decent pack up and would kill Arroyo anyday. He can hit the 3 and sets up the offense unlike Arroyo. I think Arroyo just has a lot of hype, or if not him, i want to see a trade happen where we get Lowry if that is still possible.

bryan71023
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
This means Arroyo and Dooling are out of Orlando and getting Pietrus means he might strat SG for the Magic. Orlando are making good moves especially now that the East is getting better

The Melky Way
07-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes, part one of my stretch what we have left plan would work.

Jason Williams would be perfect. He may not have the speed that Dooling had, but he is a better ball handler and passer and will compliment Nelson nicely off the bench.

Now all we have to do is convince Kwame Brown to bring his lazy @$$ down here for the minimum to be a back-up F/C and we will be good to go for next season.

Reezy
07-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't get why people like Arroyo. I saw Knicks fans praying to get him to be their starter...which blew my mind. You'd think a guy with his handle and speed could be a good player in the league, but you're mistaken. He's horrible, and absolutely stunk it up last year. He brings nothing to the table when on the court. He is a detriment.

Williams isn't anything special, but we only need about 15 minutes a game from him. He has health issues, but his veteran leadership, good ball handling and passing is an asset. I hope we sign him.

Exactly, it's a huge upgrade for the Magic (from Arroyo) to get a veteran who won't be playing huge minutes, but will contribute in the passing department.

Reezy
07-09-2008, 03:31 PM
williams cant get on the flor and has to take games off to rest his knees. and we arent going to sign arroyo.
The Magic don't need him to play 40+ minutes a game. Like I said any PG who can pass the ball is already way better than Arroyo.

Also, Arroyo is open right now to listen to offers by the Heat, BTW.

SwaggaIke
07-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Since neither the Heat or Magic have any significant bread to blow, we should get a sign and trade poppin w/ Williams and Dooling. Williams wants to play in Orlando and Dooling wants to come back home.

*Superman*
07-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Why would we do a S&T when he is a FA. I pretty sure he would accept the minimum. Plus if we did a S&T, we would just be making our rival better.(The Heat)

atomik102
07-10-2008, 12:27 AM
lets sign him, we need a decent pg, he has wanted to play in orlando since his draft days, he will def take less money to play here, so welcome number 55 jjjjjjjjaaaaaaasssssooooonnnnn wwwwwwiiillllllllliiiiiiiaaaaammmssssssss

*Superman*
07-10-2008, 01:29 AM
^ I am surprised that you would want him here.

Magic #1 Fan
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
JWill would be a great pick-up. He is a pass first shoot 2nd type player. Always in the NBA in assists to turnover ratio for the past 6 years. Always in the top 3-6. Likes to run and gun offense. Williams is surprising in the top all-time 3 pointers made. #32 on the list of some great 50 players. 100 more 3's than M. Bibby, and others that will surprise you. Great back-up with playoff experience, makes players better around him.

*Superman*
07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
If we don't get Jwilliams then i think that Shawn Livingston would be a back up PG we could use and i know he is a risk because he had that horrible injury, but he plays solid D and is a pure Pg. Also he is a star in the making at 6"7!

We should work him out first though.:D

Reezy
07-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Is Shaun Livingston available?

*Superman*
07-10-2008, 02:57 PM
^ I'm pretty sure because i read it in this blog and they didn't qualify his offer that he was supposed to get(5.8 million, which no now will give now).

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/07/shaun-livingsto.html

magicman 1
07-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I think this would be a bad choice for the Magic. If there looking to give a different look at the point position this isnt it. If there lookig for size,defense,and leadership ability this guy is not the choice. I like the shaun livingston @ a minimum salary. It could be a nice gamble, if he returns strong you could be looking @ Shaq & Penny pt.2 if not you lose little. I would probably pick up say a kyle lowry for insurance.

ManRam
07-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Shaun Livingston should get more than the minimum. Veterans like Williams usually are more willing to sacrifice money for location. Even though Livingston is coming off of an injury, a serious one too, I think he'll want and get more than the minimum. I don't s ee him coming to Orlando. Unless we make a trade, our back up point guard is basically going to have to be a veteran who is willing to play for the minimum, or maybe a rookie free agent if we get that desperate. I don't see Livingston coming. I really think he can get 3-4 or more million a year. Smush or Dickau are more realistic options...though neither really are what we need.

*Superman*
07-10-2008, 05:01 PM
^ Yeah i think some team will offer him at least half of their MLE. I would be so excited to see him here though. If we got him, we would only need a PF/C.
But at the end of the day i think we go with Williams. Also i have heard that Marcus Williams is on the block? Not to sure how good he is but i have seen him play a few times and he was alright.

magicman 1
07-10-2008, 09:11 PM
dwight & shaun livingston = Shaq & Penny pt. 2 or Magic & Kareem. nice dream right. I just really think we need some size at the point. Although I like Jameer, we are going to have to be able to matchup big @ times. Do you guys know of any other big guards that are available or on the block? Also, Whats your opinions on the Bigs to help out howard?

*Superman*
07-10-2008, 09:31 PM
^ I don't think they get much bigger than Shaun Livingston (6"7). The Magic should definitely see what his asking price is. If not he CAN be involved in a S&T. Maybe Dooling(IDK if we can sign him) JJ and/or Bogans for him.

Reezy
07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
^ I don't think they get much bigger than Shaun Livingston (6"7). The Magic should definitely see what his asking price is. If not he CAN be involved in a S&T. Maybe Dooling(IDK if we can sign him) JJ and/or Bogans for him.

I'd do that in a heartbeat. Shaun Livingston is amazing.

*Superman*
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
" If there's one thing Magic fans know about General Manager Otis Smith, it's that he's just as concerned how a player conducts himself off the court as he does on it.

Almost to a fault.

Under Smith, the Magic have yet to bring in a guy whose talent clearly outweighs a troubled reputation or frequent bouts of wackiness. Not counting Mr. and Mrs. Doug Christie, of course.

"There'll be a time for that, but not now," Smith said.

Translation: Smith will not do anything to upset the delicate locker room chemistry that surrounds young Dwight Howard.

The Magic desperately need a point guard, maybe two, to back up Jameer Nelson.

So when I asked Smith if he had interest in either the Pacers' Jamaal Tinsley or the Knicks' Stephon Marbury --- two moody, controversial players who might be bought out by their teams and available for a song --- he shook his head.

No.

And no way.

"You know me," he said.

Smith also didn't believe that Shaun Livingston -- once a promising 6-7 guard for the Clippers --- is healthy enough to take a chance on. Livingston has yet to recover from a horrific 2007 knee injury.

There's slim pickings in the point-guard free agent class, which might cause Smith to pull the trigger on a trade.

Brian Cook, Keith Bogans and J.J. Redick could be on the block. They can shoot the ball --- and that's a quality teams covet.

Heck, if some team has fallen in love with draft pick Courtney Lee during his summer-league debut and would offer a serviceable point guard, Smith would have to look at it.

The reason the Magic are in a point-guard bind is that Keyon Dooling and Carlos Arroyo became free agents; Chris Duhon jilted them to play for the Knicks (you have to question his decision-making right up front); and the market for the position is downright barren.

They desperately need, in effect, a veteran who can step in and start if Nelson gets hurt.

Nelson's physical style lends itself to injury at times, and he missed 13 games last season. He's already had three concussions since he joined Orlando in 2004.

Smith likes Jason Williams, a pure point guard and playmaker. But he doesn't help them shore up defensive problems at the position.

There's veterans Tyronn Lue and Anthony Johnson --- both Magic alumni --- still available.

Duhon was their No. 1 offseason choice because he is a true point and a good defender. But when he didn't sign, the Magic went to what they felt was their next-best free-agent option at another need position, signing shooting guard Mickael Pietrus.

Dooling would be a perfect and logical fit --- he can play defense and provide timely offense -- but apparently he can command more money than the Magic are willing to spend.

Arroyo is still available, and at least the Magic know what they are getting. He can be a capable starter.

Makes no sense for Smith to swing a major trade and deal Turkoglu because teams aren't going to give up an equally talented starting point guard for him.

Smith doesn't appear nervous about the situation, but as he once told me, "I'm like a duck in water. I might look calm, but I'm paddling like crazy underneath."

Why can't you take a risk?

*Superman*
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Make a trade for Kyle Lowry and Hakim Warrick and that will take care of our problems.

IndiansFan337
07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
He would be a nice backup for Nelson, because he brings some size to the PG position. He's bigger than Dooling & Arroyo too.

Reezy
07-11-2008, 04:33 PM
And much more talented than Arroyo.

Anon
07-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Would be a nice pick up. But I do not think we can count on J-Will to stay healthy for a full season. We have to have another option IMO.

Magic #1 Fan
07-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Jason Williams is better than all those point guards put together. He see the floor much better, passes better, makes players around him better, and the rest of those guys turn the ball over alot. You can't double team him bringing up the ball. The others you can. Also he can hit the 3. His D got better the last 3 years and won't be playing 35 min. a game. Give me a point guard in the NBA that has a Championship ring any day leading my team.

_Supreme_
07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
If you count on him only playing half the season to begin with then you would definitely have a nice backup point guard in him.

*Superman*
07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Can we just sign him already.

Reezy
07-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Can we just sign him already.

Seriously, I'd actually like to get a Jason Williams jersey already.

*Superman*
07-13-2008, 11:13 PM
We could be able to make a S&T with the Nets because they are really interested in Dooling, but they don't have the money to sign him. Kristic( I know he is coming off injury), Marcus Williams, Sean Williams are all on the block. I say if we can make it happen, I'll take anyone of those guys. Make it happen Otis.

http://www.netsdaily.com/?p=6181

rogbalog
07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
that's a really intriguing proposal. I hope something like that goes through, though they would want more for marcus (the one I want the most). getting either krstic or sean would be fine and add some quality depth, but we still wouldnt have a backup pg. we would either have to hope j-will signs for the minimum or trade bogans or jj to clear up space, either of which i am fine with.

*Superman*
07-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Magic talking to J-Williams

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/07/jason-williams.html

magicman 1
07-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I dont think J Will is good fit for this team. Maybe Im right maybe im wrong, but it just seems that he's just another small point guard with defensive short comings. I think we are just asking to be punished and at the mercy of bigger stronger more athletic point guards. Lets face it boys the East is getting stonger as we speak. Our beloved Magic can no longer afford to make mediocre moves and expect to be in contention for a championship. We need to be athletic,savvy,and gritty from 1-15. Or as another Coach would put it "15 strong". With that said I think the moves to make would be as follows: Trade JJ to Memphis for Javaris Crittenton, Bogans & James augustine to Golden State for Branden Wright and Patrick O'Bryant or for another Big pick up Kwame Brown for minimum money(thats all he's worth risking for at this point). I MUST REPEAT I DONT THINK WE CAN CONTEND AS IS. If its Championships we're after, Otis and the rest of the organization must get more aggresive in its assembling of talent.

Latrell Houston
07-16-2008, 08:47 AM
They Got Like 200 Guards...nelson,arroyo(fa),reddick,johnson,dooling (fa).....i Guess Somebody's Not Coming Back...

bryan71023
07-17-2008, 05:41 PM
nelson coming back and now they signed johnson. arroyo and dooling are out it seems dooling would be heading to either the nets or heat as for arroyo there are some rumors saying the raptors may be intrested. the magic should sign williams and soon.