PDA

View Full Version : Raptors And Pacers Complete Jermaine Trade

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
The Indiana Pacers announced Wednesday two trades that bring seven new faces to the team. In a deal with Toronto, the Pacers acquired T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, Maceo Baston and Roy Hibbert (the 17th overall pick in June’s NBA draft) for Jermaine O’Neal and Nathan Jawai (the 41st pick in the draft). “We’re very excited about the trades we made,” said Pacers President of Basketball Larry Bird. “We know we got some good character guys and good players. I just want to help the franchise move forward and we feel with the draft, we know we picked up two good guys that our fans are going to be very supportive of and excited about.” Added Pacers Coach Jim O’Brien: “I think Larry and (General Manager) David Morway did an outstanding job in changing around our basketball team, both with the trades and the picks. Our team will have a completely different look next year. Overall, the seven new players we have give us a completely different look than we had last year and we have maintained the guys that got the majority of playing time at the end of last season.

Source: ******

AllTheWay
07-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Pacers win easily

JO is way too injury prone and just not good anymore

Ragun
07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Pacers win easily

JO is way too injury prone and just not good anymore

He is ready for next year. He has recovered and no they dont win easily...

JO speaks like a true pro. He almost made me cry during the press conference.

THE_FLASH_21
07-09-2008, 02:16 PM
why what did he say??? And The East better watch out for the raptors.. JO,BOSH, ANDRES BAR (WOW) (3) 7 footers...

_Supreme_
07-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry, but JO could be one injury away from possible retirement. There was speculation he might have to retire last year when he was injured.

He ALWAYS gets injured. Actually he is probably the most injury prone player in the league.

These are the number of games he played in recent years:

04/05 - 44
05/06 - 51
06/07 - 69
07/08 - 42

I wouldn't have taken this huge gamble if I were Toronto. It could be the mistake that makes them fall out of the playoffs next season.

NBAkYD
07-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Its not a HUGE mistake when you consider Ford's history with injuries. My criticism is that the Raptors already had size and a post presence (Bosh). I don't understand their reasoning in getting JO. I feel like this is a great deal for a Pacers team that lacks a young PG, but has time to acquire another one if Ford gets hurt/isn't "That Guy". This was a decent deal for both sides, a risk for both sides, but only slightly confusing for Toronto.

Ragun
07-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Just wait guys...

JordansBulls
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Glad to see the deal go thru finally.

_Supreme_
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Its not a HUGE mistake when you consider Ford's history with injuries. My criticism is that the Raptors already had size and a post presence (Bosh). I don't understand their reasoning in getting JO. I feel like this is a great deal for a Pacers team that lacks a young PG, but has time to acquire another one if Ford gets hurt/isn't "That Guy". This was a decent deal for both sides, a risk for both sides, but only slightly confusing for Toronto.

The reasoning is that Bosh isn't a true center, and not a banger in the post.

So they got someone to pair with him that is, which is excellent reasoning.

However if JO gets injured, and he always gets injured, what do they have left? Ford and even Nesterovic were important parts of that team, probably undervalued by many.

Bargnani hasn't exactly become a scary feature for opponents, so if JO gets injured at the wrong time (like late in the season or the playoffs in case they make them) that team is screwed.

_Supreme_
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Just wait guys...

Wait on what, for him to get injured again?

Ok I'll stop now :laugh2: :p

NBAkYD
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Good to know. Nesterovich got hot at the end of last year. I think Toronto could have pushed for a little more, but knowing why they made the deal is good.

SHONIE
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
J.O. is a J.O.(ke)

Raptorfan3
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
You guys are so blind BC is just trying something new to see if the raptors can improve their interior presence and too add a second scorer to bosh because no one other then bosh on the raptors can score 1 on 1 and also if you would have looked at jermaine o'neals contract you would have seen that it is worth around 22 million and expires the year that bosh,lebron,wade,amare are all on the market so hes just testing o'neal right now so lets just see how well o'neal does and if it doesnt work out we have a back up plan

18colts29
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Hopefully it works out for the best for the Pacers.

_Sn1P3r_
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I hope JO stays healthy this season. Or else our team would be pretty much like last year minus TJ and Rasho.

canzano55
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
If he gets injured...maybe this maybe that......

On paper the Raps are east coast contenders and thats something I can live with.

SHONIE
07-11-2008, 11:06 AM
He's still unproven...

Sn1ch_Turna
07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Its funny to see the stark contrast between Raptors/Non-raptor fans.....

To say Indiana got the better end of the trade is pretty rediculous... Ok they got rid of JO but hes got 22 million expiring in the season after next.... so the raptors are really obligated for one season... if he flops they can move his expiring to a team who wants it, or wait till he expires then have huge money once Bosh becomes a FA... to sign him and other players for support...

People should stop being so biased, just because its the raptors doesnt make the trade stupid. Indy-LA were talking about a Odom / Bynum move for JO ... and the raptors got him for TJ and nesterovic ... in my opinion its a good trade for both ends...... but i dont see indiana making the playoffs anytime soon, wheras this makes toronto a legit top 4 team in the east

North Yorker
07-11-2008, 11:35 AM
He's still unproven...

You should of finished that statement because to say a 6 time All-Star is"unproven" is a little crazy dontcha think? When he's been healthy he's proven that he can put up 20-10-2. He's basically played the last two years on one leg, but "apparently" it's 100% now. And based that we gave up two back-ups and a Roy friggen Hibbert for him isn't that bad.

Mile High Champ
07-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry, but JO could be one injury away from possible retirement. There was speculation he might have to retire last year when he was injured.

He ALWAYS gets injured. Actually he is probably the most injury prone player in the league.

These are the number of games he played in recent years:

04/05 - 44
05/06 - 51
06/07 - 69
07/08 - 42

I wouldn't have taken this huge gamble if I were Toronto. It could be the mistake that makes them fall out of the playoffs next season.

I had the exact surgery he did, I had my miniscus badly torn and they removed a lot of scar tissue f4om my knee. I did this playing varsity basketball 2 seasons ago. i know the pain he went through because I played on myn for more than a season, it is beyond painfull, not to mention it is difficult to change direction quickly while running and your unable to jump off the floor more than 10-20 inches. I know its not the same level as the nba but with time off and what arthiscopic surgery can do, JO can for sure come back from this. If he had torn his acl or mcl, I would maybe agree with you but you are so far from the truth its not even funny.

truRAPTORSfan
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
J.O. will stay healthy.
Raptors will win 50 games
Raptors will be a scary team in the playoffs
Raptors will be #1

69centers
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
J.O. will stay healthy.
I'm not so sure he'll play a full season.

Raptors will win 50 games
I'll give them 46-48.

Raptors will be a scary team in the playoffs
Agreed.

Raptors will be #1
2nd round exit in the playoffs.

Dirty Dirk41
07-11-2008, 01:07 PM
i mean i guess raptor fans will obviously be excited about next season. J.O was a great player. But i cant see them winning a title with this squad. I Look at the roster and cant see them ever being champions. I think this team will lose in the playoffs to Boston, Detroit, Magic, Cavs, and Now the Sixers. theres no way the raptors will be doing anything next season except win a few more games.

Mile High Champ
07-11-2008, 01:11 PM
i mean i guess raptor fans will obviously be excited about next season. J.O was a great player. But i cant see them winning a title with this squad. I Look at the roster and cant see them ever being champions. I think this team will lose in the playoffs to Boston, Detroit, Magic, Cavs, and Now the Sixers. theres no way the raptors will be doing anything next season except win a few more games.

They are a better team as of now than the sixers and cavs. They just have a deeper team than those two. I think you are overlooking the raps greatly here.

Dirty Dirk41
07-11-2008, 01:14 PM
over look there roster...so your telling me you think this toronto rapters team could win the nba title this upcoming season??? If so then well i strongly disagree. The Cavs and sixers are much better teams than the raps. I say they get a 6-7 seed and first round exit. They will not beat detroit, boston, or magic an thats prollie who theyll be facing in the first round

aman_13
07-11-2008, 01:31 PM
over look there roster...so your telling me you think this toronto rapters team could win the nba title this upcoming season??? If so then well i strongly disagree. The Cavs and sixers are much better teams than the raps. I say they get a 6-7 seed and first round exit. They will not beat detroit, boston, or magic an thats prollie who theyll be facing in the first round

Please tell me how the Cavs and Sixers are much better than the Raps?

North Yorker
07-11-2008, 01:35 PM

I think BC saw the maximum potential with the squad of last year and decided it was time for a shakeup. Now the Raps have 2 years to see how far a team of Bosh and O'neal can go. To be title contenders they would need A) for JO to be mostly healthy over those 2 seasons,B) need Barganani to improve and progress greatly and to get at some of that untapped potential,C) need Calderon to continue to play at an All-Star level like he did at times last year, and D) need bench/role players step up.

Now thats a tall order so I see your point of them being not title contenders... but they will at least be threats in the playoffs and we all know anything can happen in there. I mean the Celts were a game away from losing to the Hawks.

Mile High Champ
07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Please tell me how the Cavs and Sixers are much better than the Raps?

exactly, he is just running his mouth, they are by no means much better. The raps have a deeper team in my opinion.

pebloemer
07-11-2008, 01:41 PM

I don't see them winning a title, but I definately see them as stronger than the Cavs. We can wait to evaluate Detroit, it is still in the air what their roster will look like. Boston is still much better and the favorites. Sixers face the same questions about health and chemistry as the Raptors. Magic look dangerous, I think they are closest to Boston.

If Raptors fans are biased towards Raptors, I think you are equally biased against. It is somewhere in the middle IMO.

Dirty Dirk41
07-11-2008, 05:11 PM
i just see alot of people on the raptors band wagon and i see alot of people saying they are strong contenders. the magic easily beat them in the playoffs and the magic got much better. much better than the raps have gotten. i still think detroit and boston could beat them easily. I def think the cavs and the sixers are better. The cavs... well they got to the ecf with just lebron, i dont see the raps beating them. And as far as the sixers they almost defeated the pistons and got much better with brand.Brand was injured but im sure hell stay healthier than J.O. i cant see the raps getting out of the first round. i dont hate the raps, i just dont see them as strong contenders even in the east