PDA

View Full Version : Raptors And Pacers Complete Jermaine Trade

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
The Indiana Pacers announced Wednesday two trades that bring seven new faces to the team. In a deal with Toronto, the Pacers acquired T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, Maceo Baston and Roy Hibbert (the 17th overall pick in June’s NBA draft) for Jermaine O’Neal and Nathan Jawai (the 41st pick in the draft). “We’re very excited about the trades we made,” said Pacers President of Basketball Larry Bird. “We know we got some good character guys and good players. I just want to help the franchise move forward and we feel with the draft, we know we picked up two good guys that our fans are going to be very supportive of and excited about.” Added Pacers Coach Jim O’Brien: “I think Larry and (General Manager) David Morway did an outstanding job in changing around our basketball team, both with the trades and the picks. Our team will have a completely different look next year. Overall, the seven new players we have give us a completely different look than we had last year and we have maintained the guys that got the majority of playing time at the end of last season.

Source: ******

Koenigg
07-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Lol....why is real gm.com censored here?

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:27 PM
BTW press conference at 1:30 PM. CANT WAIT! 3 MINUTES!

Raptors27
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
BTW press conference at 1:30 PM. CANT WAIT! 3 MINUTES!

Is the press conference on the fan 590?

varunpp
07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
its streaming online too at raptors.com, not sure about fan590

Raptors27
07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
yeah its on the fan590 it hasnt started up yet tho.

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:41 PM
It hasnt started. you can watch it on raptors.com

Kontent
07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Lol....why is real gm.com censored here?

It's a bad word here...

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
They are on! Jermaine is there!

mpickup
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Anyone with press conference updates as it goes along....appreciated
-at work, can't watch :(

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Jermaine is talking happy...says its a new life...cant wait...

mpickup
07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
sweet...
Maybe he'll show up in Toronto as the same guy who went to 6 all-star games!!!

B2B
07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Source: ******

The article says:

two trades, what's the second trade?

mpickup
07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
the second trade was the draft night trade by the Pacers of Jerryd Bayless and Ike Diogu to Portland for Brandon Rush and Jared Jack.

Bob_at_york
07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
The article says:

two trades, what's the second trade?
on the day of the draft they traded rookies and got Jarret Jack in the trade.

Going back to the press conference. I am listening. JO sounds very well spoken to me.

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
the second trade was the draft night trade by the Pacers of Jerryd Bayless and Ike Diogu to Portland for Brandon Rush and Jared Jack.

correct.

JO is talking about his injury.

B2B
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
on the day of the draft they traded rookies and got Jarret Jack in the trade.

Going back to the press conference. I am listening. JO sounds very well spoken to me.

Thanks

mpickup
07-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I was curious if J.O. would say in the presser "This is Chris Bosh's team" ?

In a way I don't want him to say that......yes, say he is confident they can compliment each other, but don't take away from his own potential to lead

Halladay
07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Agreed. JO speaks like a true Pro.

B2B
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
correct.

Rush,Jack,Rasho,Ford,Baston,Hibbert = 6 players, article says seven new faces. Who's #7? or is it a typo.

Bob_at_york
07-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Grange just got told! "I have never been the finals."

Oh and to answer your question: "This is Chris's team."

Ragun
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Agreed. JO speaks like a true Pro.

Im going to cry the way he is talking man. A journalist asked, "Who's team is this?" He said, "I talked to Coach Mitchell and Colangelo about this. This is Chris's team." He said he isnt into the numbers and being the centerpiece. He just cares about success...man Im happy we acquired him. He knows these Raptors players pretty well.

mpickup
07-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Seventh player!!! Just remembered....initially it was announced as Rush and Jack for Bayless and Diogu.....then when they confirmed it later in the draft broadcast Josh McRoberts had also been included by Portland!

Brandon Rush
Jarett Jack
Rasho Nesterovic
T.J. Ford
Maceo Baston
Roy Hibbert
Josh McRoberts

...think Indiana will have a meet and greet!!

B2B
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
correct.

What did he say?.

mpickup
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
ok...well I gotta say I respect his attitude...CB4 is the franchise player

Grange is the worst....if J.O. burned him, he may be my new favourite player!

Ragun
07-09-2008, 02:04 PM
What did he say?.

The Raptors doctors said, "that it was a full green light ahead" and he was rehabbing his knee all of those 43 games that he sat out last year and stuff.

B2B
07-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Seventh player!!! Just remembered....initially it was announced as Rush and Jack for Bayless and Diogu.....then when they confirmed it later in the draft broadcast Josh McRoberts had also been included by Portland!

Brandon Rush
Jarett Jack
Rasho Nesterovic
T.J. Ford
Maceo Baston
Roy Hibbert
Josh McRoberts

...think Indiana will have a meet and greet!!

Thanks

Dragan
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
he sounded very good, very team like and very greatfull that he has an opportunity for a "re-birth". btw I was waching the thing live ok thecore.ca and did not see the jersey #, it looked like a 6. did anyone see what it was?

Ragun
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
no my media player shut down. :pity:

B2B
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
The Raptors doctors said, "that it was a full green light ahead" and he was rehabbing his knee all of those 43 games that he sat out last year and stuff.

Thanks Ragun, I'm excited to see this team play, we finally have 2 legit stars and potential one in Calderon. Hopefully we can get to the ECF's.

Ramon Nivar
07-09-2008, 02:08 PM
I think the best part of this trade is we probably got the better player via the draft. :laugh2:

Mile High Champ
07-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Why another thread for this, there is already 100 of these on the raps board. No need for another one.

mpickup
07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
100 threads discussing LIVE, what J.O. was saying moment by moment in his press conference?

B2B
07-09-2008, 02:18 PM
I think the best part of this trade is we probably got the better player via the draft. :laugh2:

You know what I found more interesting is that when I was reading the rules about the cap & Luxury tax it said:

How are draft picks handled in trades?

Draft picks (both first and second round) count $0 for salary matching purposes. This is true both before and after the draft, until the player signs a contract. This can make it very difficult to construct a trade that is equitable in both trade value and basketball talent. For example, Vancouver selected Steve Francis with the #2 pick in the 1999 draft, and traded his draft rights to Houston. When the trade was finally engineered, it included three teams (Orlando was also involved), 11 players (including Francis) and two future draft picks.

Once the draft pick signs a contract, his actual salary becomes his trade value.

Note that even though a draft pick's trade value (for salary matching purposes) is $0, a first round pick is included in the team's team salary at 100% of his scale amount once he is selected in the draft, unless he signs with a non-NBA team (see question number 41). If an unsigned first round draft pick is traded, then 100% of his scale amount is included in the acquiring team's team salary as soon as the trade is completed. An unsigned second round pick does not count toward team salary.

I think Colangelo would've picked Jawai at 17 as some people had him going late first round but by picking him up in the second round by trading the 1st round pick Jawai doesn't count toward team salary.

This is the reason I believe we traded our pick.

Ragun
07-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks Ragun, I'm excited to see this team play, we finally have 2 legit stars and potential one in Calderon. Hopefully we can get to the ECF's.

No problem and me too.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
100 threads discussing LIVE, what J.O. was saying moment by moment in his press conference?

Why does it matter, there are a tonne of threads for this topic, there is no need to put up more threads on the same topic. It just add's clutter to the board.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Oneal on the fan590 right now.

Ragun
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Oneal on the fan590 right now.

aite thanks.

B2B
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Can someone recap for me please, thanks in adv.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
O'neal just said on the fan590, he wants a fresh start so he is not interested in taking number 7. He just wants a new start 100% so he went with 6 which is his number from his youth. No beef with bargs I guess... Good stuff!

Mile High Champ
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Anyone know a link to the video of the press confrence. I only caught the last 5 mins. Any help would be appreciated.. cheers.

mpickup
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
i'm hoping they post the vid on raptors.com ASAP

Silver.
07-09-2008, 03:00 PM
There showign it on the score right now.

Canadian hemi
07-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Anyone know a link to the video of the press confrence. I only caught the last 5 mins. Any help would be appreciated.. cheers.

Ditto...me 2...I wanna see it!!!

Bob_at_york
07-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Why another thread for this, there is already 100 of these on the raps board. No need for another one.

I can see the purpose of having one JUST for the press conference and his first interviews but I agree, the original purpose of this thread wasn't needed. That is why I tried steering it down the PC direction.

clehmun
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
You know what I found more interesting is that when I was reading the rules about the cap & Luxury tax it said:

How are draft picks handled in trades?

Draft picks (both first and second round) count $0 for salary matching purposes. This is true both before and after the draft, until the player signs a contract. This can make it very difficult to construct a trade that is equitable in both trade value and basketball talent. For example, Vancouver selected Steve Francis with the #2 pick in the 1999 draft, and traded his draft rights to Houston. When the trade was finally engineered, it included three teams (Orlando was also involved), 11 players (including Francis) and two future draft picks.

Once the draft pick signs a contract, his actual salary becomes his trade value.

Note that even though a draft pick's trade value (for salary matching purposes) is $0, a first round pick is included in the team's team salary at 100% of his scale amount once he is selected in the draft, unless he signs with a non-NBA team (see question number 41). If an unsigned first round draft pick is traded, then 100% of his scale amount is included in the acquiring team's team salary as soon as the trade is completed. An unsigned second round pick does not count toward team salary.

I think Colangelo would've picked Jawai at 17 as some people had him going late first round but by picking him up in the second round by trading the 1st round pick Jawai doesn't count toward team salary.

This is the reason I believe we traded our pick.

that's a good point, but i doubt BC is THAT good.
BC wouldn't pick jawai at 17 i don't think. if he really wanted him, he took a huge risk by picking him 24 spots later. thats too too unpredictable.
it's scary if what you say is true though.

B2B
07-09-2008, 05:00 PM
that's a good point, but i doubt BC is THAT good.
BC wouldn't pick jawai at 17 i don't think. if he really wanted him, he took a huge risk by picking him 24 spots later. thats too too unpredictable.
it's scary if what you say is true though.

Only six teams worked out Jawai.

B2B
07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Clehmun you know what I was wondering was if it applied to Ukic as well seeing that he was drafted in the second round in the 2005 draft. Seeing that it was years ago does it change the fact he was a second rounder?. or does he not count against the teams salary also?.

_Sn1P3r_
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Welcome to TO JO.