PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds to the D-Backs?

CAIN=FUTURE
07-09-2008, 01:13 PM
WASHINGTON - With all signs pointing toward Eric Byrnes' season being over, the Diamondbacks have been exploring alternatives outside their organization that could provide a lift to their underperforming offense.

One name that apparently has been discussed: none other than all-time home run leader Barry Bonds.
When asked if Bonds - a free agent who has not drawn interest from teams after not being welcomed back this season by San Francisco - could be a possibility, Diamondbacks General Manager Josh Byrnes didn't shoot it down.

"He and maybe a couple of others are sort of sitting out there," Byrnes said. "I think it's a bit of assessing any player's readiness, then knocking somebody out of the lineup, dollars, etc.

"I don't want to talk about him specifically but, believe me, we've considered a lot of options. There is sort of no one obvious option right now, but there are a lot of considerations."

When healthy, Bonds remained a productive hitter last season, with 28 homers and a .480 on-base percentage in 340 at-bats. But bringing aboard a player with Bonds' baggage - convicted in the court of public opinion as a steroids user and facing counts of perjury and obstruction of justice - would be highly controversial.

Moreover, it would seem to fly in the face of previous comments and views held by Managing General Partner Ken Kendrick, who wanted to implement a "code of conduct" for Diamondbacks players after former reliever Jason Grimsley was linked to performance-enhancing drugs two years ago.

Byrnes done?

Eric Byrnes is scheduled to undergo another MRI exam on his torn left hamstring. But even if he opts not to undergo surgery, his season appears to be over.

"I think either way," Josh Byrnes said, "that's probably the case."

Eric Byrnes already has sought three opinions on the hamstring, which he reinjured trying to steal third base June 30.

Surgery would involve a four- to six-month recovery process.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2008/07/08/20080708dbnotes0709.html

This would be awesome imo. Giants play the D-Back a lot and will come home to play the Giants wich will draw a lot of fans, and it will put the D-Backs far ahead of the dodgers.

JDIsMyGod23
07-09-2008, 01:19 PM
**** roids, **** speculation, **** distractions. Bonds is amazing and I would do it if I was AZ.

Joba Rules!!
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
The presence alone would be good for the D'Backs. That being said, I wouldn't love the idea of going back to the NL if I was Bonds. He belongs in a DH role.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-09-2008, 01:22 PM
The presence alone would be good for the D'Backs. That being said, I wouldn't love the idea of going back to the NL if I was Bonds. He belongs in a DH role.

At this point he will take what he can get.

rarryronds
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
He can roll out of bed and drive in 50 runs after the break.

yankees932
07-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Whether people like him or not, the dude can flat out hit. He also draws a **** load of walks, and he will get on base. I personally wouldn't mind seeing him on the Yankees DH'ing. Its time to get Jorgebehind the plate again and get Molina on the bench.

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:33 PM
He would be a solid pick up.

JaysAddict43
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM
honestly.. some team just sign him .. so we can end this thing.

Havoc Wreaker
07-09-2008, 02:36 PM
The only problem i see with this is his Defense, his mobility has to be very limited, and AZ is used to Byrnes jumping all around the place, however I would love this specially if Bonds Homers 10 times vs SF in a Az Uniform LoL

GHGHCP
07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Bonds added to already one of the worst fielding teams, that would be funny.

natepro
07-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I wonder if his bat speed has slowed at all with all of this time off.

Havoc Wreaker
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I wonder if his bat speed has slowed at all with all of this time off.

He probably takes BP regularly, if his bat slowed down is because of age and/or injuries but not time off

I bet if they sign him, given he plays a full second half and he doesnt walk 10000 times, he will hit 20 HRs and that Az stadium is 15-30 feet shorter in right center and right field

G2BOAT
07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I hope the D-Backs do sign him. He's going to cause a huge distraction for them, he can't run, has no glove or arm, and he's old, has had injures, and he isn't on the steroids so I don't see him hitting more than about .250 with 10 HRs.

mattz1212
07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Let me just say this move makes sense on so many levels. This offense has looked HORRIBLE since mid-May having a bat like Bonds in the middle of the order could only help or potentially spark the offense. Bonds' defense would probably be an upgrade over throwing Conor Jackson, who has looked terrible out in left, out there every other or third day. It's not like Bonds is a crippled old man running the bases, sure he doesn't run like he used to but he can still get decently around the bases. As long as Bonds has kept up with training and BP I think the DBacks should jump on this move.

JDIsMyGod23
07-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I hope the D-Backs do sign him. He's going to cause a huge distraction for them, he can't run, has no glove or arm, and he's old, has had injures, and he isn't on the steroids so I don't see him hitting more than about .250 with 10 HRs.

170 OPS+ last year when he was old, injured, and not on steroids. Bonds is so stigmatized now people don't really how amazing he still was/is.

jcs88
07-09-2008, 06:41 PM
The DBacks should do this. I think they'd make the postseason without him, but they sure could use a big middle-of-the-lineup presence against good pitching in October. I bet this guy could still hit, and hitting's the one thing they obviously need. He's a short term committment, I'd give him a shot.

But I personally hope he never plays again, I dont want him making it even harder for ARod to eventually break the HR record. :D

Burkey3472
07-09-2008, 07:24 PM
This would be a great move for the D-Backs, i think i saw there LFers were hitting a combined .198, so Bonds can only help that. He wont cost any prospects, and he will only be there for a half of a year so if it doesnt work, its not going to hurt you

CAIN=FUTURE
07-09-2008, 11:22 PM

Because your a dodgers fan. He will come back and hit .300 and get on base like no other. He is the most feared hitter of all time.

I have this image in my mind playing over again. He comes back to play his first game as a D-Back in SF. He is welcome with a standing ovation, then the Bruce Bochy give him the 4 finger salute and Bochy is booed.

Havoc Wreaker
07-11-2008, 12:12 AM

What the guy above me said, that's cause you r a dodgers fan he was good before the steroids and he still is good

20HRs 300+AVG Off the charts OBP

Tragedy
07-11-2008, 12:14 AM
What the guy above me said, that's cause you r a dodgers fan he was good before the steroids and he still is good

20HRs 300+AVG Off the charts OBP
He's not going to hit 20 HR's if he returns this year. There isn't enough time, since he's STILL not signed.

If he had a full season this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 30 HR's (Especially as a DH). But playing LESS than a half of a season, I can't see him contributing a TON (OBP will probably still be outstanding though).

Havoc Wreaker
07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
He's not going to hit 20 HR's if he returns this year. There isn't enough time, since he's STILL not signed.

If he had a full season this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 30 HR's (Especially as a DH). But playing LESS than a half of a season, I can't see him contributing a TON (OBP will probably still be outstanding though).

Yeah My bad, if he does come back, he wont play EVERY game which even makes his time shorter but still around the vicinity of 15 HRs

v3n0m
07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Well the guy is actually a little fat, but he's an emblem of the MLB and it would be a shame if he misses a contract with ANY team, I think he will take any offer on the table...

Neely
07-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Do it Arizona, do it!!!

dmb
07-12-2008, 02:56 AM
a player who is just about guaranteed to get on base is a solid pick up for me