PDA

View Full Version : Teams asking about Felton

RocketsRule
07-09-2008, 01:08 PM
The knock is that he's not a “pure'' point guard, who thinks pass-first, but more of an undersized combo guard.

However, he's on his third coach in three seasons and the last one – Vincent – continuously changed his mind about how best to use Felton. Perhaps all the guy really needs is to be left at the point to develop his craft. He's working for two pretty good former point guards in coach Brown and assistant Phil Ford.

If the Bobcats do explore Felton's trade value, they'll find it considerable. Sacramento (before coming to terms with Beno Udrih), Cleveland and New York all were interested. The Bobcats could either lock him up with a contract extension or let him reach restricted free agency next summer.

Scheduled to make about $4.1million this season, Felton says he wants to remain in Charlotte.

From Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/704080.html)

DerekRE_3
07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
The only reason why people think Felton is a "pass first" combo guard (and WTF does THAT mean) is because when he was a rookie the Bobcats also had Brevin Knight. Knight is a solid pure PG and the Bernie Bickerstaff felt more comfortable having a veteran like Knight play PG than Felton, but they still wanted to give Felton minutes. Ever since that, people have thought he is a combo guard. But to me, he isn't big enough, and he doesn't shoot well enough from the field to do that.

At the end of the year last year, he played almost exclusively at PG, and he averaged 16 points and 9 assists a game.

JakeDelbreezy
07-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I think we should keep Felton. I agree DerekRE 3. The whole combo guard comes from the coaching hes had in the NBA. I think DerekRE 3 described it perfectly. First Bernie wanting to get him minutes while still keeping B Knight on the floor and then with Sam Vincent...well who know what Sam Vincent was thinking. Felton is a dedicated guy. He loves to play basketball. He'll work hard to prove his critics wrong. Nowadays in the league you need two guys who can run the point so just b/c we got Augustin doesn't mean Raymond is gone....but one can never know what's brewing on the trade front..

DerekRE_3
07-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I think it would be a mistake to trade Felton right now. Augustin hasn't played a game yet. Felton is the starting PG right now, but if Augustin takes Felton's spot in the starting 5, then maybe think about trading him. But Augustin hasn't even played a single summer league game yet. Way way too soon for the Bobcats to be discussing this.

masalex1205
07-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I think trading Felton at this point (before the season) would be a mistake unless we got a deal we couldn't refuse. Putting a rookie in the arguably the most important position but certainly a make or break one would be naive and reckless at best. Wait and let's see how Augustin pans out, maybe he turns out to be a stud in which case trade Felton. Teams who see their lack of point guard struggles firsthand will probably be more desperate during the season.

DerekRE_3
07-09-2008, 08:10 PM
I think trading Felton at this point (before the season) would be a mistake unless we got a deal we couldn't refuse. Putting a rookie in the arguably the most important position but certainly a make or break one would be naive and reckless at best. Wait and let's see how Augustin pans out, maybe he turns out to be a stud in which case trade Felton. Teams who see their lack of point guard struggles firsthand will probably be more desperate during the season.

Agree 100%. Good post.

masalex1205
07-09-2008, 08:12 PM
What happened w/ the David Lee for Felton rumors?

DerekRE_3
07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
They were probably just that...rumors. What did you think of that hypothetical trade?

masalex1205
07-09-2008, 08:33 PM
to be honest i just don't know. i wouldn't pull the trigger if i was bobcats gm, not yet, the knicks are desperate and are prone to making stupid trades, let's sit on it for awhile and wait, maybe we can get something more plus Lee (maybe even a draft pick or a big guy but who knows, everybody ont he knicks sucks)

i really like everything about lee though, he's a team first, tough, hardworker, the guy you want in your locker room, but he's a big guy at 6'9 but not the kind of BIGGER guy that we're looking for right now

DerekRE_3
07-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah I like Lee but I agree, the Bobcats shouldn't trade Felton just yet. Let's see what Augustin can do. Then make that decision.

JakeDelbreezy
07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
They were probably just that...rumors. What did you think of that hypothetical trade?

I know you were probably just asking masalex1205 what he thought about the trade but I wanted to chime in as well..(sorry to barge in on the convo)

I don't think Lee would solve the problem of what we would do with Okafor as far as a postion. Sure he can play the 4, he's a high energy guy...a good team player and you know he's going to bring it every night..but I don't really think he's solves the question of what to do with Okafor as a postion. Even if we had Lee, Okafor would have to play the 5.

On another note it's good to see some folks legitimately talking the Bobcats...I just started on this sight yesterday and I'm glad there are some folks with common sense talking sports/especially Bobcats..keep up the good posts.

DerekRE_3
07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I know you were probably just asking masalex1205 what he thought about the trade but I wanted to chime in as well..(sorry to barge in on the convo)

I don't think Lee would solve the problem of what we would do with Okafor as far as a postion. Sure he can play the 4, he's a high energy guy...a good team player and you know he's going to bring it every night..but I don't really think he's solves the question of what to do with Okafor as a postion. Even if we had Lee, Okafor would have to play the 5.

On another note it's good to see some folks legitimately talking the Bobcats...I just started on this sight yesterday and I'm glad there are some folks with common sense talking sports/especially Bobcats..keep up the good posts.

Oh no, that wasn't it at all. It was invitation for anyone to share their thoughts. And I agree with your assessment of David Lee and how he would fit with Cats. I don't think he is the solution either.

I wanted Brook Lopez so we could get our Center and move Okafor to the 4. People forget that he measured in at just over 6'8 at the draft measurement.

What do you think of the Bobcats draft?

JakeDelbreezy
07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
For DJ Augustin...I still debate b/c I'm one of the few people who think the Bobcats made a good pick..would I have liked Lopez? Sure...but I like Augustin. He is going to be a great point guard. If you've seen my posts on other threads you know my feelings about keeping Felton, but you also probably read I believe it's good to have two PG's. Time will tell if it's a good pick. The only think that discouraged me was the picking of Ajinca. I assumed when Augustin was picked the Bobcats had a plan to get a game ready big man..

Soo, that takes me to Alexis Ajinca..he was actually on the draft radar all the way back in 2005 due to his performance at an under 18 junior euro Championships game. The thing is they were saying the same things then they are saying about him now...the guy could be great, he could be horrible.....although at the Nike Hoop summit in April he blocked 3 shot against US players...I supposed he could come in and be an off the ball shot blocking extraordinare and if he were to put on 15-20 lbs he could be a competent offensive player due to his skill set and wing span...either way he doesn't really help us now...

I think Kyle Weaver was a good pick in the second round. He's an excellent defender for his career as WSU he had 188 steals (3rd in school History) in 121 games. It should also be noted he had 75 blocks for his career..which is interesting for a guy that plays in the backcourt. I think he can be a Defensive dynamo off the bench. To me his offensive game leaves a little to be desired. However I was checking his stats and last year he averaged 12.2 pts a game but only took 8.5 shots...

All in all I give the Bobcats a B minus.

Draft Express is a cool sight..it gives best case/worst case scenarios on players...heres what they say about the Bobcats draft

DJ Augustin Comparisons:
Best Case: Better Version Of Jameer Nelson
Worst Case: Dashaun Wood

Alexis Ajinca Comparisons:
Best Case: LaMarcus Aldridge
Worst Case: Francisco Elson

Kyle Weaver Comparisons:
Best Case: Thabo Sefolosha
Worst Case: Mardy Collins

DerekRE_3
07-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah I always go to draft express, I like it much more than nbadraft.net. The Augustin pick shocked me. I thought Lopez made the most sense he was the best available and played a position we needed.

But according to the Bobcats, Felton is still the starting PG. They aren't just going to give the job to Augustin and trade Felton. At least that's what they have said.

Alexis Ajinca to me is a very intriguing prospect. I haven't really seen a guy like him. 7'1 in shoes with a 7'9 wingspan is just crazy. He also seems to have good touch and from what I saw from some video footage he has good form on his shot.

I have always been a Kyle Weaver fan. The Pac-10 is my favorite conference so I always root for guys that come out of there. I think he was a great pick at #38. I saw Weaver play at Arco Arena 2 years ago at the opening round of the NCAA tournament. I hope he makes the team.

3-K
07-10-2008, 10:30 AM
we should keep raymond felton no dought about it

JakeDelbreezy
07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
We should definitely keep Felton...(although I'm a huge Heels fan so my loyalty runs deep). I think he's a good with potential to be really good player. I think the reason some people sour on him is b/c if the Bobcats would have pulled the trigger and traded their two first round picks the year Felton was drafted they could have had Chris Paul or Deron Williams...the truth is Felton is a helluva player and a value to the team...I would be dissapointed if he were dealt unless it was a deal that knocked our sox off.

Havoc52
07-11-2008, 03:32 AM
I agree with JakeDlebreezy, Felton is a huge asset to our team and would be a big loss if were traded. There is not many deals that would work money wise and bring that much improvement for us. Even if Augustin plays great i wouldn't drop Felton for a while. If our back up point was just as good as our starter. Imagine how good our play would be throughout a game. Usually there is a drop off in production when the backup point is in. So having 2 good points cant hurt.

Beno7500
07-11-2008, 04:07 AM
I still want Felton on the Kings

Udrih/Felton/Singletary

DerekRE_3
07-11-2008, 04:10 AM
I'd see what Singletary can do first. I think he could be a big steal.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Its more likely for the Bobcats to wait for a mid-season trade depending on like you guys have said if D.J. can become a solid PG his first year for you guys. Another thing is I know it may be unlikely but if the Bobcats are a few games out of the playoffs mid-season I don't see Felton going anywhere. (I hope thats the case for your guys sake)

djeller1139
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I want Felton and Okafor as Warriors...in the W's forum we have talked about it just curious to see what you think

Okafor (S&T)-5 year 70-80mil (15mil/season)
Felton-4.1 Mil

FOR

Al Harrington-9mil
Marco Bellinelli-1.5mil
Brandan Wright-2.5mil
2009 First Round Draft Pick

DerekRE_3
07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't really like that deal. Belinelli and Wright are unproven. The pick won't be worth much because that trade really benefits the Warriors. Their starting lineup up would be: Felton/Ellis/Jackson/Okafor/Biedrins. That's pretty nice.

Like someone else said, if any trade goes down involving Felton it will be near the deadline and that is only if Augustin outplays him. Which may or may not happen. Rookie PG's tend to struggle their first year. Look at Mike Conley last year. Same with Deron Williams.

Beno7500
07-11-2008, 03:07 PM
That is a bad trade

JakeDelbreezy
07-11-2008, 03:26 PM
The Bobcats HAVE to win now in order to keep anything resembling a fan base. While they are both potentially good players, picking up Brandan Wright and/or Marco Belinelli and a 1st round pick would only make the team younger and even more inexperienced (we already have projects in Alexis Ajinca, JaMareo Davidson). Picking up youth and inexperience is something the Bobcats cannot afford to do in their current state despite the potential those guys may have. If we trade Okafor, Felton or Wallace it would have to be for players who could contribute in a major way right now.

homestarunner93
07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't think they're going to trade for Brandan Wright, I'm sure he's not too happy with the team for trading him from his home to the other side of the country on draft day.

fabian11593
07-12-2008, 01:07 AM
We should first see how he does playing with Augustin, then talk.

noturnormalhero
07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
i would definitely wait and see how DJ pans out before i would even consider trading away felton and the warriors trade idea was horrible by the way lol. like someone said above, the team can not get younger and more unexperienced. the bobcats have had good talent just not the deep depth that it takes to make the playoffs. now you guys got larry brown, a proven coach. doubt he came to ur team to coach young kids constantly. i say stay wit the team u have and if u do make trades, let it be for vets. id really like to see this team do well. i see the talent on that team and the results and as a nba fan it hurts to see. hope things turn around soon, i'd love for some change in the NBA and seeing the bobcats do well in the playoffs would be amazing!

DenButsu
07-31-2008, 02:18 AM
If you were going to give up Felton, how would you feel about getting Linas Kleiza back? He'd be an excellent backup to come in for Wallace (and, to a lesser extent, May). He has a really different skillset than him - bigger, tougher (I know you might take issue w/ that, but he's a bull), better perimeter shot. Not the scorer that Wallace is to be sure, but he's only 23 and he'll just keep getting better, and he really hasn't had the chance to fully develop since he's been operating in Melo's shadow his entire career. He'd be a starting SF on some teams in the league, but for Charlotte he'd probably be the 6th man.

If we did this:

LK/Chucky for Felton (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=26~2770~2753&teams=30~30~7&te=&cash=)

Then in addition to Kleiza you'd have a veteran to start at pg for insurance while Augustin is developing, but one who can easily concede playing time to make plenty of room for him to get the on-court experience he'll need, and then his contract will expire at the end of the 2008/09 season.

DerekRE_3
07-31-2008, 02:39 AM
If Augustine does well during the regular season that wouldn't be a bad trade.

JakeDelbreezy
07-31-2008, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=DenButsu;6083377]If you were going to give up Felton, how would you feel about getting Linas Kleiza back? [QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind that swap, but I agree with Derek it's all contingent on how Augustine plays..

DenButsu
07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I can understand where you guys are coming from with that - if I were in your shoes, I'd probably feel the same way. But if Augustin pans out, it really could be a mutually beneficial trade imo.

DerekRE_3
07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I can understand where you guys are coming from with that - if I were in your shoes, I'd probably feel the same way. But if Augustin pans out, it really could be a mutually beneficial trade imo.

Agreed. The Bobcats may move Felton if Augustine does well, which could very well happen.

29$JerZ
07-31-2008, 02:47 PM
^^ just like how Rodney Stucky pan out with Detroit. D.J could very well be our PG Next year provided he does good of course.

As for that Chucky/LK for Felton trade idea, I like it but I think Bobcats would/could get more for a team desperate for a PG. (Knicks, Lakers Maybe, PHX since Nash is getting older and they have questionable replacements, and Denver + Seattle.

Lk is a nice player but we have enough Sf's in Gerald,Adam,Jared. If D.J does turn out to be our PG, I would trade Felton for a Center so Emeka can finally Stay at the 4.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-05-2008, 02:53 AM
let him go

Diehardheatfan
08-08-2008, 03:40 AM
I would give you guys Haslem or banks for felton

homestarunner93
08-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I would give you guys Haslem or banks for felton

Lol, I bet you would. They both suck.

Diehardheatfan
08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Felton is solid not much better than banks. Id give haslem hes solid and could help put gerald wallace at his natural position at the 3

GSW fan
08-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Keep Felton

AirJordanXVIII
08-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Would you guys do Andre Miller for Felton straight up?

JakeDelbreezy
08-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Felton is solid not much better than banks.

Last season's stats

Marcus Banks
6.6 ppg
1.3 rpg
1.7 asst
0.4 stls

Raymond Felton
14.4 ppg
3.0 rpg
7.4 asst
1.2 stls

Uhh no thx. In Banks career he's only played more than 45 games 3 times (his first three years). He's never averaged double digits in points for an entire season (unless you count the part of the season he averaged 12 points for Minnesota in 05-06). Not to mention he's played for 4 teams in 5 years so it seems no one is real keen on keeping him...He had a nice little 12 game run with the Heat last year but that doesn't mean he's better than Felton or even almost as good as Felton..

DerekRE_3
08-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Would you guys do Andre Miller for Felton straight up?

Money doesn't come close to working. I don't think we have enough cap room since we just gave Okafor a big deal.

Sports Illustrator
08-10-2008, 09:47 PM
I think it would be a mistake to trade Felton right now. Augustin hasn't played a game yet. Felton is the starting PG right now, but if Augustin takes Felton's spot in the starting 5, then maybe think about trading him. But Augustin hasn't even played a single summer league game yet. Way way too soon for the Bobcats to be discussing this.

I see your concern, but in the case that Felton does get traded, don't be upset. D.J. Augustin is the most NBA ready player in the draft after Rose, Beasley and Mayo. He's a pure PG who has the potential of succeeding in the NBA and building up his rep to a very high level.

If you trade Felton now, it's not that bad of an idea actually as long as you can get good value back in return. I wouldn't worry about getting value back anyway because Felton is valuable. and you will get value in return.

I would understand your concern if the Bobcats started Augustin over Felton, but that wouldn't be the case at all.

He may not have played a game this summer but he completely dominated in the workouts. The reason why he didn't get drafted higher was because of his height concerns.

DerekRE_3
08-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Well, I'm hoping that either Felton or Augustine plays well so we have the pg problem solved. I'm hoping Augustine has a great year so we can trade Felton and get another big.

Sports Illustrator
08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Well, I'm hoping that either Felton or Augustine plays well so we have the pg problem solved. I'm hoping Augustine has a great year so we can trade Felton and get another big.

The only way he had a great year is if you give him the sufficient amount of minutes needed for his development. I think he's got it in him already, he just needs the minutes. With that said, he'll either need to start or come off the bench as the 6th man. This is why it makes sense to me for the Bobcats to trade Felton since they will be getting good value in return anyway.

DenButsu
08-11-2008, 01:42 AM
This is why it makes sense to me for the Bobcats to trade Felton to the Nuggets since they will be getting good value in return anyway.

I agree. :cool:

DerekRE_3
08-11-2008, 04:07 AM
Yeah but you can't be sure about Augustine until the guy plays a real nba game. Marco Belinelli looked SICK last year in the summer league. I can't wait to see Augustine go up against real competition this year though. I hope he does well.

IndiansFan337
08-11-2008, 09:43 AM
With Augustin on board, the Cats can at least listen to offers. I would be ecstatic if my Cavs could somehow pull off a deal for Felton, but I doubt we have the pieces to do so.

Unless the Cats are loooking to dump his long term contract I don't see it happening. We pretty much only have expiring contracts(Smith, Jones, Wally), a serviceable big man with an expiring contract(Varejao) & 1st round picks to trade away.

JakeDelbreezy
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
If we traded Felton who would play backup point guard? Boykins is obviously no longer an option (and he wasn't a "true" pg anyway. Looking over the FA list there really isn't anything substantial in regards to PG's. Any trade would have to net not only a big man but an above average backup point guard who could fill in should Augustine falter...

29$JerZ
08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I would try Felton to PHX for Robin + pick if D.J proves to be our starter

But I don't see Felton being traded unless Brown dislikes him somehow

black1605
08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
still leaves us hurting at PG...i want to keep felton and move some bench players to address needs