PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Recruit Jennings Opts To Play In Europe

phlp_bj
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
The University of Arizona will miss out on star recruit Brandon Jennings, who has decided to play in Europe rather than play in the NCAA, the Associated Press is reporting.

"Over the course of the last two months I have consulted a number of people in basketball before coming to this decision," Jennings said in a statement released Tuesday night through his attorney, Jeff Valle. "I would like to thank the University of Arizona for their interest and support through this process."

Jennings had been awaiting the results of a third college entrance exam, but decided instead to give up his scholarship, Valle said in a phone interview Tuesday night from his Los Angeles office.

"We don't know the results of the test," Valle said. "He's been trying to make this decision as he waited through the eligibility process."

He has not yet revealed which European team he'll be playing for before making the jump to the NBA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/07/09/bc.bkc.arizona.jennings.ap/index.html?eref=si_ncaab

IndiansFan337
07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
This is a terrible decision by this youngster. He had much more to gain, in terms of NBA stock, by playing at Arizona.

Sabres39
07-09-2008, 02:42 PM
This is a terrible decision by this youngster. He had much more to gain, in terms of NBA stock, by playing at Arizona.

Have to agree with you, he might have just cost himself more money in the long run by opting for the quick cash right now. My only hope is that more people don't start following in Jennings' footsteps and just basically ruin the NBA's CBA.

SwaggaIke
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
He's not opting for the quick cash. There is no guarantee that he was even going to be eligible to play in college. Why make him go to school if he doesn't want to? He's only going to be there for a semester anyway. Overseas competition is better than collegiate competition and his game will be all the better for it. I bet he's still a lottery selection after his season is over.

Sabres39
07-09-2008, 05:01 PM
He's not opting for the quick cash. There is no guarantee that he was even going to be eligible to play in college. Why make him go to school if he doesn't want to? He's only going to be there for a semester anyway. Overseas competition is better than collegiate competition and his game will be all the better for it. I bet he's still a lottery selection after his season is over.

Why was there no guarantee that he was going to be eligible for college? Is he just that stupid?

SwaggaIke
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Why was there no guarantee that he was going to be eligible for college? Is he just that stupid?

No. He took the SAT once and his scores weren't satisfactory. He said he really didn't give the effort. He took it the 2nd time and he got a great score. They said his results were flawed. He got tired of the process and decided to take another route. Similar to KG's situation coming out, but he opted to go to the NBA...because he had that option. The same option other players should have now.

slugfest504
07-09-2008, 09:38 PM
He is just being lazy not wanting to do school work for the 1 year. He is going to pay drastically for this. Rubio is not going to be the 1st PG selected in the draft next year.

mcnasty54
07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
He is just being lazy not wanting to do school work for the 1 year. He is going to pay drastically for this.

I think he should still be a top ten pick next year. If he is that good, it shouldn't matter where he plays this year.

SwaggaIke
07-10-2008, 09:21 AM
He is just being lazy not wanting to do school work for the 1 year. He is going to pay drastically for this. Rubio is not going to be the 1st PG selected in the draft next year.

What are you talking about? There is no work for a year. All you have to do to stay eligible is take 2 classes for 1 semester and maintain a D average. Do your homework. Jennings will still be a lottery pick next year. He is the best playmaking point guard to come out of high school since Chris Paul.

MoJay
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
this kids got talent i was really looking forward to seeing him in the NCAA

cubfan23
07-10-2008, 06:37 PM

thats what i thought when i read he had to take it for a 3rd time. He would have gained more if he stayed here because of the exposure. I dont know much about him but i think he is just being lazy for not going to school for a year. I give props to at least some kids who decided to give school a try.

Reezy
07-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I really hope this sets a new precedent because as much as I like March Madness and all that, I'm really getting tired of the monopoly known as the NCAA.

Wake's Fastball
07-13-2008, 08:44 PM
I think it's a fine idea, but I also think, as has been said above, that Jennings stood to gain alot more by playing at Arizona. Olsen's got a solid history of churning out NBAers, especially guards, and with Jordan Hill and Chase Budinger, he'd have been playing for a very solid squad.