PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jennings Says Farewell to Roma (Post #79)

phlp_bj
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
The University of Arizona will miss out on star recruit Brandon Jennings, who has decided to play in Europe rather than play in the NCAA, the Associated Press is reporting.

"Over the course of the last two months I have consulted a number of people in basketball before coming to this decision," Jennings said in a statement released Tuesday night through his attorney, Jeff Valle. "I would like to thank the University of Arizona for their interest and support through this process."

Jennings had been awaiting the results of a third college entrance exam, but decided instead to give up his scholarship, Valle said in a phone interview Tuesday night from his Los Angeles office.

"We don't know the results of the test," Valle said. "He's been trying to make this decision as he waited through the eligibility process."

He has not yet revealed which European team he'll be playing for before making the jump to the NBA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/07/09/bc.bkc.arizona.jennings.ap/index.html?eref=si_ncaab

JordansBulls
07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
What does have to do with the NBA?

IndiansFan337
07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
This is not a smart move by this kid, unless he knows that his test score was going to prevent him from participating in the NCAA at Arizona as a student athlete.

dirk206
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah, horrible move by Jennings. Teams in Europe are not going to care that this kid is 18 and is still developing. I'm not sure if any of the European powerhouses will sign this kid because they don't have time to develop him, they need to win.

JWalk126
07-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Pete Thamel of the New York Post also reports that the possible destination of the young man may be Italy and that he can eventually sign for about 300,000USD. If he is saying Italy because it is the only country in Europe he knows or because he has some inside information could not been verified but the question remains how can a US born teenager impact on the European level. You can say that Ricky Rubio is also doing his job at the same age but the Spanish kid has grown up here in Europe.

However, the article in the NY Post is also filled by some other nice clichés about European basketball. I quote John Calipari, one of the most respected coaches in the United States.

I don’t know if I’d want to be the first one, because your career is on the line. And here you are getting coached by a guy who doesn’t speak your language.

http://www.ballineurope.com/us-basketball/nba/official-brandon-jennings-will-play-in-europe/

JWalk126
07-16-2008, 10:21 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3491998)

Former Arizona recruit Brandon Jennings on Wednesday signed with an Italian professional league team, completing his plan to pass up college and play professionally in Europe to prepare himself for the 2009 NBA draft.

Jennings signed with Pallacanestro Virtus Roma of the Italian pro league.

"I'm so excited,'' Jennings said by phone from Las Vegas, where he had been training the past week. "I can't believe that it happened so fast. I remember Sonny [Vaccaro, the former grassroots basketball camp director] talking about it and then I called him and it happened so fast already.''

Jennings said he will head to Rome next Wednesday for a news conference. He said he and his mother, Alice Knox, and a few other family members would spend some time in the city, return home and then come back in late August to get ready for the season.

"I just can't wait,'' Jennings said.

Jennings said he was told the contract would be in the two- to three-year range. He wasn't aware of the financial terms. Jennings' family attorney, Los Angeles-based Jeff Valle, said in a statement Wednesday that the multiyear contract would have NBA release provisions that would be fair to both parties.

"Let's just see how the first year goes,'' Jennings said as to whether or not he would stay more than one season.

Jennings was ranked as the top point guard in the class of 2008 by ESPN.com and played at Oak Hill Academy (Va.) the past two seasons. He had yet to qualify academically to play at Arizona when he made the decision to play in Europe earlier this month.

Jennings had been awaiting the score of a standardized test, but said he still doesn't know whether or not he received a qualifying score that would allow him to play at Arizona, since he hasn't been home to open his mail.

Jennings has to sit out one year and be at least 19 years old -- his birthday is Sept. 23 -- to be eligible for the 2009 draft. According to the NBA, as soon as he signs with a European professional team he can be drafted in 2009.

Virtus Roma is considered a midlevel Italian team and is not regarded among the elite clubs favored to reach the Euro Final Four. But the competition at that level is still high. Last season's roster included former American college players Allan Ray (Villanova), David Hawkins (Temple), Christian Drejer (Florida), Erazem Lorbek (Michigan State) and Ibrahim Jaaber (Penn). The point guard spot could be open for Jennings if Roko Ukic signs with the Toronto Raptors, which is a possibility. The only other point guard listed on last season's roster is Italian Jacopo Giachetti.

An NBA executive told ESPN.com that Virtus Roma is considered a "good team, with an old-school coach," but the executive said he thought that "Rome would be an adventure for [Jennings]."

Jennings said he asked Virtus Roma general manager Dejan Bodiroga whether or not the team needed a point guard when he worked out for Bodiroga last week in Las Vegas.

"He said they need one,'' Jennings said. "I guess they want to make me the icon there. They're real excited about me coming to work for them. They know the deal. They know what they're getting in and feel comfortable about the whole situation.''

In a statement, Bodiroga said: "I am really happy for his arrival in Rome. Brandon is one of the greatest American talents and he is considered as one of the top players for the next NBA draft. It's a big deal for us to have a player with such qualities.''

The statement said the club would provide training, education, tutoring and media training for Jennings in Rome. The statement also said Jennings would retain a Rome-based attorney, Giovanni Imbergamo, as legal counsel with his Italian contract.

Claudio Toti, president of Virtus Roma, said in the same statement released by Valle: "We are really happy to have reached an important agreement never done before, with a player of great qualities as Brandon is, despite his young age. Enthusiasm and talent: That is what we expect Brandon will bring to Rome.''

Jennings said he and his mother planned to drive back to their Orange County, Calif., home and discuss whether or not she and his sixth-grade brother Terrence Phillips would join him in Rome next season. The statement from Valle, the family's lawyer, said the Rome club had secured a junior club team spot for Phillips, but Jennings said a decision on whether his brother would accompany him to Europe has yet to be made.

"He likes his team here [in the U.S.] so we'll have to talk about it,'' Jennings said. Jennings said if his mother and brother don't join him for the season that someone else from his extended family would come live with him for the season.

Faneik
07-17-2008, 04:05 AM
I think he made a good decision, he can now start to take care of his family financial needs, the Euro is really strong.

I hope that the NBA release clause isn't too expensive so he can be in the NBA in 2009/2010.

IndiansFan337
07-17-2008, 08:47 AM
This is a terrible decision by this kid.

The NCAA would have been much better exposure for him, and given him much more hype. I think this decision, accompanied by the speculation that he couldn't qualify academically may cost him at least 10 draft spots next June.

SwaggaIke
07-17-2008, 02:12 PM
^Yea right. You don't think the guys in the Euro league get scouted? You think GM's just go out on a whim and draft Gallanari? Belinelli? Rudy Fernandez and so forth? This is a great decision for him. Nobody should be forced to go to school. This decision won't cost him anything but the money he spends for the new deal he just inked. He'll still be a lottery pick next year and his game will be better served.

arlubas
07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Actually this is a make or brake thing for him. He could either excel his game to new heights if he has the will to get better or he could blow all his chances up if he doesn't manage his game and attitude while in the Euro league.

IndiansFan337
07-17-2008, 05:49 PM
^Yea right. You don't think the guys in the Euro league get scouted? You think GM's just go out on a whim and draft Gallanari? Belinelli? Rudy Fernandez and so forth? This is a great decision for him. Nobody should be forced to go to school. This decision won't cost him anything but the money he spends for the new deal he just inked. He'll still be a lottery pick next year and his game will be better served.

Of course the Euro leagues are scouted.

But he stands to lose much more than he will gain overseas. He would have thrived in Olsen's run & gun, wide open offense. It's a shame that he foolishly passed on that opportunity.

He was ranked as ESPN.com's #1 recruit. His stock will never be that high again. He won't be the #1 pick next year. He probably won't even be the #1 Euro PG taken, with Ricky Rubio likely surpassing him on draft boards.

SwaggaIke
07-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Of course the Euro leagues are scouted.

But he stands to lose much more than he will gain overseas. He would have thrived in Olsen's run & gun, wide open offense. It's a shame that he foolishly passed on that opportunity.

He was ranked as ESPN.com's #1 recruit. His stock will never be that high again. He won't be the #1 pick next year. He probably won't even be the #1 Euro PG taken, with Ricky Rubio likely surpassing him on draft boards.

Of course he isn't going to be the number 1 pick next year. He wasn't going to be the number 1 pick next year before he decided not to go to Arizona. He isn't Derrick Rose and Arizona will not win a National Championship this year, nor will they be in the title game. He didn't "pass" on any opportunity. He didn't have the scores to get into school. Stock doesn't matter when you still HAVE to go to school. It isn't like Arizona was going to rescind their scholarship offer. Ricky Rubio is surpassing him before a game is even played. I remember when Josh McRoberts was a top 5 pick on draft boards before the season started. Then he ended up a 2nd round pick. This man will still be a lottery pick next year in what will be the weakest draft since 2000.

IndiansFan337
07-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Of course he isn't going to be the number 1 pick next year. He wasn't going to be the number 1 pick next year before he decided not to go to Arizona. He isn't Derrick Rose and Arizona will not win a National Championship this year, nor will they be in the title game. He didn't "pass" on any opportunity. He didn't have the scores to get into school. Stock doesn't matter when you still HAVE to go to school. It isn't like Arizona was going to rescind their scholarship offer. Ricky Rubio is surpassing him before a game is even played. I remember when Josh McRoberts was a top 5 pick on draft boards before the season started. Then he ended up a 2nd round pick. This man will still be a lottery pick next year in what will be the weakest draft since 2000.
He claimed he didn't receive his test score before he made this decision.

Obviously, if his test scores weren't high enough -- and was likely the case -- then he had no other choice while he waits one year for the NBA Draft.

But this kid would have been better off in the college game than overseas. It's too bad he didn't put in the necessary work to get himself there. It's a darn shame.

ganjaperoni
07-18-2008, 12:03 PM
i'm from rome and very excited & curious to see a player like this over here. so young/so talented...
besides that, if he's very smart/mature/open minded for his age, a year or two living and competing with professionals in another country could really make him mature a lot as a man (and, consequently as a player) compared to other kids his age who are in college. but it could also be dangerous... anyone know what he's like character-wise?

IndiansFan337
07-18-2008, 04:24 PM
i'm from rome and very excited & curious to see a player like this over here. so young/so talented...
besides that, if he's very smart/mature/open minded for his age, a year or two living and competing with professionals in another country could really make him mature a lot as a man (and, consequently as a player) compared to other kids his age who are in college. but it could also be dangerous... anyone know what he's like character-wise?

I don't know for sure, but if you can't qualify academically for college then he can't be very smart. Honestly, you can get into a public college in the US even if you have a GPA around 1.0 in HS. That means straight D's. That's pathetic. So this kid either didn't apply himself whatsoever, is simply just not smart at all, or possibly both. I don't think that living overseas & trying to rush himself into adulthood is a good idea. But if he really couldn't get into college because of his grades, then this was his best option. It's too bad though...

JWalk126
07-18-2008, 06:18 PM
GPA around 1.0 in HS. That means straight D's..

I dont think they have letter grades in Italy

IndiansFan337
07-19-2008, 11:56 AM
I dont think they have letter grades in Italy

Basically, you have to be mentally challenged to not be able to qualify for a public college in America. I'm not saying this in a derogatory way at all. They are just after your money. So if this kid couldn't qualify, then there's a big alarm. Especially considering that Arizona surely wanted this kid to come to campus because he would bring them more exposure & make money for them & the sports program.

ganjaperoni
07-20-2008, 11:45 AM
thx for your reply!

well, the fact he doesn't give a **** about school and has bad grades being a teenage phenom isn't promising, but also doesn't necessarily mean he is not intelligent..... guess we're gonna have to wait and see what he says wednesday at the press conference to understand what he's like a bit better..... at the same time people always say the same stuff on those occasions.....

anyway it won't be easy for him: in a new country, very young in a team of 25-35 year olds.... most of his team-mates won't be very likely to go out and kick it with him.... they gonna speak different languages, many will have wife-kids and be at different stages in life etc. AND they certainly all play soccer on their ps3 and not madden..... knahmean?

but: BECAUSE it's hard, if he does grow as a person and as a player in this country, overcoming all that (it's a less comfortable choice compared to college) then he could really turn into something special at avery young age.

ciao from rome.

JHG722
08-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Jennings is borderline ********.

drob33
08-09-2008, 12:53 AM
First, there is a big difference between basketball IQ and test scores. For D-1 athletes, GPA has little to do with anything (as coaches usually look after that sort of thing) and is all about ACT or SAT scores. He could bomb those tests and still make excellent choices running a team at the point.

I think the more pressing issue here is, how many other kids will do the same thing (as we have seen more and more NBA players, although "fringe" players, leave for Europe) as Jennings? They can make substantial amounts more in Europe than they can in college and at the same time learn in a system (INT'L basketball) that has been beating TEAM USA for a while now. Learning solid fundamentals in a professional system while making millions of dollars... hard for me to see a mistake there....

His status will only decrease in terms of college basketball fans and writers in America. Many in Europe and all of the scouts will still see his performances. He would probably be more famous at Arizona, but that doesn't mean he won't improve his skills as much as if not more in Europe. I wish the best of luck for the kid, I just hope he doesn't inspire many others to follow in his footsteps. I don't want to see college basketball forgone to Europe.

bogdanrom
08-09-2008, 01:32 AM
If I was a basketball phenom I wouldn't care about school either. Unfortunately I'm not. :cry:

NYKnickFanatic
09-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Ok, so I have been hearing/reading a lot about this kid.

But I really do not know anything about him.

And I would like to know:

What position does he play?
Is he as good as people say he is?
What college does he do to?
Or is he in highschool?
If he were to enter the draft, around where do you think he would get drafted?

Just curious, so if someone would be kind enough to answer those, Id appreciate it.

Thanks.

Faneik
09-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Here is his profile:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brandon-Jennings-1114/

NYKnickFanatic
09-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Here is his profile:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brandon-Jennings-1114/

Thanks man, that helped a lot.

But playing overseas!?! :mad:

Damnit.

Faneik
09-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks man, that helped a lot.

But playing overseas!?! :mad:

Damnit.

I expect him to be in the NBA soon...

He went for the money.

barreleffact
09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
smart move. idk about his grades but if i was high profile, id play in europe and get paid vs college and risking an injury w no money to show for it

ZHawk1123
09-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Prepare to be impressed...
The Phenom that is Brandon Jennings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpqtynQOAM)

Ph1lly Diehard
09-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Prepare to be impressed...
The Phenom that is Brandon Jennings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpqtynQOAM)

He looked great in highschool. You know who else looked good in highschool? Kwame Brown :rolleyes:

Not saying he's going to be a bust when he enters the NBA or anything, but all them street moves that he does in highschool he won't be doing in the NBA, or them passes through the legs, won't happen.

ZHawk1123
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
He looked great in highschool. You know who else looked good in highschool? Kwame Brown :rolleyes:

Not saying he's going to be a bust when he enters the NBA or anything, but all them street moves that he does in highschool he won't be doing in the NBA, or them passes through the legs, won't happen.

I expect him to be somewhat like Iverson...

Sixerlover
09-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I'll tell you one thing, if Brandon plays well overseas, then comes over here next year and is a top 4 pick, he may of created a monster for college basketball. Because not only would he of been a top pick as if he went to college, but he also gets paid for a year. Something the Mike Beasleys, and Derrick Roses of the world didn't get.

Vegasguy80
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
He is a cocky *** that thought he was too good college but couldn't make it there anyway. What you see on YouTube looks good but you bring him into the NBA and he will get handled. He may get handled overseas too.

Ph1lly Diehard
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
He is a cocky *** that thought he was too good college but couldn't make it there anyway. What you see on YouTube looks good but you bring him into the NBA and he will get handled. He may get handled overseas too.

The exact same thing I was trying to say

$ NyC $
09-03-2008, 11:59 AM
i heard he's an Arenas type player...and what I've seen he looks good but you can never really tell with this mIXEz

JWalk126
09-03-2008, 12:13 PM
He's the starting PG @ Lottomatica Roma

phils07
09-03-2008, 12:32 PM
this will not create a monster. literally the only reason he is over there is his SATs.

he did not get the required score. end of story. european clubs tend to not play their young players (ajinca, batum). so lets see if he even gets minutes first. hes going to be pick in the lottery no matter what simply because hes really good.

no opening of the euro floodgates for prospects will follow tho.

JWalk126
09-03-2008, 12:45 PM
he is starting

$ NyC $
09-03-2008, 12:56 PM
he seems very offensively oriented..still will rack up his share of assists tho..just 4 his want 2 get a nice stat line

Sixerlover
09-03-2008, 01:48 PM
this will not create a monster. literally the only reason he is over there is his SATs.

he did not get the required score. end of story. european clubs tend to not play their young players (ajinca, batum). so lets see if he even gets minutes first. hes going to be pick in the lottery no matter what simply because hes really good.

no opening of the euro floodgates for prospects will follow tho.

Obviously he didn't intend to go to Europe, but he is there. And starting so I've heard. And getting paid to play ball. Something none of the other prospects in the '08 class can say. And he'll probably still come over next year and be a top 5 pick.

So I wouldn't be shocked if next year some senior in HS picked a year in Rome and money to play ball over Villanova or Georgetown for one year.

Hellcrooner
09-03-2008, 03:52 PM
if he succeeds in europe and stays for two years at least, he will be back to nba much more ready than those who plyed 2 years of college.

rabzouz 96
09-03-2008, 10:12 PM
itll be interesting to see how he and the whole situation develop and to see when hell get picked.

Faneik
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
itll be interesting to see how he and the whole situation develop and to see when hell get picked.

Indeed.

JWalk126
10-16-2008, 05:39 AM
The hard Italian life of Brandon Jennings

Source: Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/the-hard-italian-life-of-brandon-jennings/)

Will Brandon Jennings regret his choice to join Roma? “Hey, he’s only played one game with his team, what are you saying?” could be the answer from any of Oak Hill Academy product’s fans. But the situation isn’t smiling so much on B.J. now. Roma is an open building site, and the risky debut match against Caserta (home victory, 83-81 in overtime) has explained why Lottomatica isn’t yet ready to be in the fight nor to be led by Jennings.

After the arrival of Datome, coach Jasmin Repesa has 12 “real”players, seven of them in the backcourt rotation. Considering Becirovic the main acquisition from the market, de la Fuente as the only pure small forward in the roster, and Allan Ray a guy whose contract costs nearly $700,000, one need not be a genius to understand that there aren’t a lot of minutes for B.J; this is amplied because Ibby Jaaber is a skilled defender, a concept that the American boy seems far from assimilating.

So how could Jennings see his minutes on the floor increase? First thing: He must get better in the halfcourt game. Second, he must become more reliable and less spectacular in handling the ball. Third, must become more unselfish. At the moment, Becirovic is “the” man on Roma, the top point guard, and it would not be strange to see stat lines like his against Caserta (14-of-14 on free throws, 10 fouls received, 7 assists) often repeated during the season: He is the mind of Lottomatica, and has the ball in his hands for at least 12 seconds on every play. In learning from Becirovic, Jennings could improve as a player, and that’s what Repesa wants, because Becirovic and Jennings on the floor together are more dangerous than Becirovic and Jaaber. And we are curious to see a backcourt trio of Jennings, Becirovic and Ray.

Many hypothetical solutions and deep rotations are in play; surely this sort of platoon system doesn’t help B.J., who has to play almost 25 minutes a game to develop his talent and be more confident in a league that is not so easy to face, especially for a 18-year-old. Jennings has one year (plus the Euroleague competition) to keep his promises and take over the team. But until something changes, Roma is property of Becirovic.

This may be a sudden fall back to Earth for a guy predicted as a top-seven pick in the 2009 NBA draft, but no doubt this experience will strengthen him. Under one condition: Jennings must be patient, and his time will come.

And for those saying “Hey, he played only one game with his team, don’t be so critical,” you’re right, but look at his line in the boxscore: 10 shots in 21 minutes? Calm down, Brandon!

JWalk126
10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Brandon Jennings (Lottomatica) – The most standout number in the game that took Jennings’ Euroleague virginity is his 22 minutes with just a single turnover. Brandon also took nine shots from the field, more than any other Roma player yesterday.

Ball in Europe
Source (http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/yarone-arbels-player-and-team-watch/) (scroll down)

JWalk126
11-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Jennings scored 11 pts in his most recent game with Lottomatica's win over Banca Tercas 96-75

JWalk126
11-12-2008, 08:04 PM
on a 4-1 Lottomatica Roma, Jennings is currently averaging 5.4 ppg and 3.2 apg

for his stats in the Italian League click here (http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=ITA&PlayerID=156282) (Scroll down)

there are 2 sets of stats. Italian League stats are above his Euroleague stats

JWalk126
11-25-2008, 04:50 AM
ESPN Magazine article on Brandon Jennings
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3715746

Sportfan
01-24-2009, 05:21 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/sports/basketball/24recruit.html?_r=3

“I’ve gotten paid on time once this year,” Jennings said in an e-mail message. “They treat me like I’m a little kid. They don’t see me as a man. If you get on a good team, you might not play a lot. Some nights you’ll play a lot; some nights you won’t play at all. That’s just how it is.”

Jennings, a 6-foot-2 point guard who was regarded as the nation’s best high school player at his position a year ago, signed a $1.2 million deal in salary and endorsements to head to Europe in August instead of staying in the United States to play college basketball. Some analysts suggested that other elite players would follow the same path because of the rules requiring prospects to be a year removed from high school before becoming eligible for the N.B.A. draft.
He issued that warning this week from Italy, where he is playing for Lottomatica Virtus Roma, a top professional team. He fears that top high school players may be seduced by visions of instant riches, fame and success in Spain, France, Italy, Greece or some other destination.

Hellcrooner
01-24-2009, 05:28 PM
1 someone has been TRHEATENED by david stern to tell so, to avoid other kids doing the same,if he doe snot say it he will make his life miserable when he makes it to the league.

2 Maby the stupid dude thought Europe leagues where ****** and he woudl get paid and put 40 points anight and be the god of the gteam.
Big news brandon, in europe there is no star game you share the ball, and averagin 16 per game is an mazing featyure and another suprise most of PROS in top teams in top league sof europe COULD be in the nba filling the bench in 9 to 12 spots, but of course they preffer to stay here and earn A LOT more money than a 9-12 spot player does in the nba and being FAR more relevan in their teams than being just a towel waiver....

This is a bad thing regarding his mentality, we have a JR RIDER on the make here.

madiaz3
01-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't think we should be saying "good for him" in a negative tone but I'm glad he's telling it like it is so that other kids won't fall prey to the temptations like he said.

-Juice-
01-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't understand how he has gotten paid one time. Can't he file a lawsuit or something if he doesn't get paid?

madiaz3
01-24-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't understand how he has gotten paid one time. Can't he file a lawsuit or something if he doesn't get paid?

He said paid on time more than once. Meaning he's hit with repeatedly late payments.

KingOf215
01-24-2009, 05:36 PM
1 someone has been TRHEATENED by david stern to tell so, to avoid other kids doing the same,if he doe snot say it he will make his life miserable when he makes it to the league.

2 Maby the stupid dude thought Europe leagues where ****** and he woudl get paid and put 40 points anight and be the god of the gteam.
Big news brandon, in europe there is no star game you share the ball, and averagin 16 per game is an mazing featyure and another suprise most of PROS in top teams in top league sof europe COULD be in the nba filling the bench in 9 to 12 spots, but of course they preffer to stay here and earn A LOT more money than a 9-12 spot player does in the nba and being FAR more relevan in their teams than being just a towel waiver....

This is a bad thing regarding his mentality, we have a JR RIDER on the make here.

Is this even English? Your grammar is horrendous.

chicagowhitesox
01-24-2009, 06:00 PM
i'm shocked.

KeithLBC
01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Is this even English? Your grammar is horrendous.

the guy lives in Spain, give him a break :rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
01-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Never understood it, but whatever.

nashty13
01-24-2009, 06:38 PM
he's a dick and ruined UofA's season. With him there, Withe would have stayed and AZ would have had a rediculous lineup:
Wise
Jennings
Chase
Hill
Withe

Now they're garbage

pete_one
01-24-2009, 06:47 PM
he should've went to college. whats so bad about college? if he was a man, he would've attended college. you still get financial aid ya know...

DerekRE_3
01-24-2009, 06:59 PM
he should've went to college. whats so bad about college? if he was a man, he would've attended college. you still get financial aid ya know...

Wouldn't you take $1.2 mil for a year instead of getting a scholarship worth about 40k? (Since Arizona would be out of state tuition) Plus the competition in the league he is in is greater than anything he'd face in the Pac-10. He's still projected to be a lottery pick as it stands now.

nashty13
01-24-2009, 07:05 PM

He was a moron and couldnt get high enough SATs to get into school. He took the SATs again and his results were really high, cheating was insinuated so he took it a third time and signed with Italy b4 he got the results. probably wouldnt have passed anyways

Sportfan
01-24-2009, 07:09 PM

he meant he only got paid once on time

HOZ THE KNICK
01-24-2009, 07:09 PM
he's 1 and done anyway

_Sn1P3r_
01-24-2009, 07:11 PM
I guess HS --> Overseas isn't working too well and probably won't for a while.

{º¿º}
01-24-2009, 07:22 PM
An American born can't stomach European culture. I'm shocked! :rolleyes:

Westbrook36
01-24-2009, 07:23 PM

Bullcap.

KeithLBC
01-24-2009, 07:26 PM
“They treat me like I’m a little kid. They don’t see me as a man.

:laugh: :laugh:

I find that comment hillarious, he's 19 not even a full year out of high school and he wants europeans to look at him like he's a man :laugh:

superkegger
01-24-2009, 09:18 PM
He couldn't pass the SAT's, so he went for the money. He knew the situation, and what he was getting into. It just hasn't worked out like he would have hoped. Oh well, he'll be in the NBA next year regardless.

innovator
01-24-2009, 09:32 PM

just shut up, im sick of you international basketball know it all. stop acting that you know everything about international basketball cuz you dont. and i especially hate your homerism to spaniard players... dont you know anything about basketball and root for an american player because he is good not because you are from the same country.

back to topic. i want jennings to go to the nba because i think that he will be better than derick rose and will be one of the top PG in just 2-3 years

innovator
01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

I find that comment hillarious, he's 19 not even a full year out of high school and he wants europeans to look at him like he's a man :laugh:

still he isnt a minor anymore so therefore he isnt a kid anymore. and i believe that you stop being a kid when ur over 12 yrs. old

lakers4sho
01-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Stop hating on the Spanish guy, he probably knows more International Ball than most of us :rolleyes:

Just b/c his english isn't straight doesn't mean his opinions mean jack.

serratedmuffin
01-24-2009, 09:50 PM
still he isnt a minor anymore so therefore he isnt a kid anymore. and i believe that you stop being a kid when ur over 12 yrs. old

yeah, let's hold 13 yr olds accountable to the same standards as adults. Why not let them vote and drink and such right? They arn't kids anymore...:rolleyes:

So this "man" isn't get the same treatment he gets in the US? Big deal, although if he's getting paid late, I wouldn't be happy either. Taking his complaints public doesn't help his situation at all.

cHi8DaL5LA420
01-24-2009, 10:00 PM
he regrets getting over a million...lol

LAKERS 24/7
01-24-2009, 10:25 PM

you're 13 aren't you?

Hellcrooner
01-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Well i get to see Nba, Euroleague , Uleb cup and SPanish league on my tv.

I guss i have the right to talk about international basket?

LakerzDQ
01-25-2009, 05:34 AM

sure you do. but this is the NBA section

UK Bull
01-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Pargo said he was having trouble getting payed in Russia aswell.

ntat
01-25-2009, 05:52 AM

You do have the right to. But stop with all the, "Europe is a team game and everybody passes, abd blah blah blah" homer talk. All u Europeans have to dig at the US just that tiny little bit. ITs not like teams average 50 assists a game or anything over there. And 16 a game in the euro league is not impressive. I know a guy personally that plays there, is an American, is a PG, avg's 7 assists a game, and scores more than 16 a game. And he is not even on their all star team all that often. So speak the game, but dont do that europe's game is refined and pure and america is selfish stuff. Comment on the game itself.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-25-2009, 11:12 AM

Getting paid late or not at all isnt totally uncommon in some international leagues right now. These leagues are not run like the NBA.

nashty13
01-25-2009, 11:34 AM
jennings can suck it. lie in the grave you dug brotha

JWalk126
06-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Soyrce: FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30330/arti.html)

ROME (Lega A) - American teenager Brandon Jennings has thanked Lottomatica Roma for a memorable year in Italy.

Jennings, 19, launched his professional career this season in Lega A straight out of high school but is now set for the NBA with the 1.85m playmaker expected to be a lottery pick in the upcoming draft.

"I cannot express how exciting and unique this season has been for me," Jennings said.

"The people of Rome and the people of the Lottomatica Roma organization - the personnel, my coaches and my teammates - welcomed me, along with my mother and brother, with open arms.

"Coming here has allowed me to mature both on and off the court and I greatly appreciate the help and support of everyone around me.

"This experience provided me with the right foundation for the next step."

Jennings helped Roma to a second-place finish in the Lega A regular season but the club's first-round play-off defeat to Angelico Biella brought a premature end to their campaign.

Looking back on his rookie professional year, Jennings said three men made a huge difference in his life.

"I am especially grateful for the guidance of my general manager, Dejan Bodiroga, my team president, Claudio Toti and of course, my head coach, Nando Gentile," Jennings said.

"I've decided to leave Rome, return to the United States and enter the NBA Draft.

"This is a very important decision for me and I am giving myself a chance to make my childhood dream come true. I would never have traded this experience for the world."

Jennings played an average of 17 minutes per game in Italy, averaging 5.5 points and 2.3 assists.

He made headlines recently by donating $50,000 to help the relief effort for victims off the earthquake in the Abruzzo region of the country.