PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Offer Turiaf Four-Year, $17M Deal

phlp_bj
07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Lakers forward Ronny Turiaf has agreed to a four-year, $17 million offer from the Warriors, according to The Press-Enterprise.

Turiaf is a restricted free agent, which means that the Lakers will have seven days to match the offer.

Agent Mark Bartelstein wouldn't confirm or deny the rumors.

"We've talked to a bunch of teams," Bartelstein said in a phone interview. "There are a lot of teams that are interested in Ronny. We'll just wait to see what happens."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_turiaf_09.47b3657.html

_Sn1P3r_
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
They couldn't get Brand so I guess they target Turiaf. He'll be a great energy guy off the bench if they get him.

2gunzblazin
07-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Lakers have 7 days to match the offer by the warriors. I dont know if they will go up to those lucarative terms. But if Turiaf signs with the Warriors they get a high energy guy off the bench sort of like and Anderson Varajao (Minus the Hair)

lakersrock
07-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I guess that "loyalty" he had for the Lakers ended with his contract. What a load of crap....

PHX-SOXFAN
07-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I guess that "loyalty" he had for the Lakers ended with his contract. What a load of crap....

did you expect him to take the minimum?:confused: $4mil/year is pretty fair for him. That's not a stretch at all. Just because LA is tight on the cap doesn't mean he should make peanuts. Besides, it's Ronny Turiaf, not a starter anyways. any team can always pick up a warm body to fill his energy role off the bench.

Thatruth32
07-09-2008, 01:27 PM
yea there has been a post on this since last night... lakers still have 7 days to match up but im not sure if they are going to pay tha tax to keep him

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Thats a solid offer for Turiaf.

AllTheWay
07-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Turiaf is not worth 4 mill a year....i was thinking anywhere from 25. to 3.2 a year

we saved this guys life for christs sake

yojoe792
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Someone explain this to me. What if the Lakers offer him a lower contract and do not match. Does he HAVE to sign with the Warriors? What if the Lakers match? Does he HAVE to sign with the Lakers?

lakerfan2293
07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
if i were the lakers i would NOT resign him if it means 4 mil a year, they could get alot more for that

Vinny642
07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
if i were the lakers i would NOT resign him if it means 4 mil a year, they could get alot more for that

I threw up in my mouth when i saw this...... ew disgusting deal he should get like 500K a yr for 3 years

X12Celtics3
07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
The NBA
Where average players making way to much money happens

Seriously, theres no way he deserves this much money! you could do much better things with your cap space then this!

_Supreme_
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Someone explain this to me. What if the Lakers offer him a lower contract and do not match. Does he HAVE to sign with the Warriors? What if the Lakers match? Does he HAVE to sign with the Lakers?

If the Lakers don't at least match he goes to GS, and if they do match he stays with LA. And yes, in both cases he has to.

PHX-SOXFAN
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Turiaf is not worth 4 mill a year....i was thinking anywhere from 25. to 3.2 a year

we saved this guys life for christs sake

how exactly did you and whatever group you refer to as "we" save his life?:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure some doctors performing heart surgery saved his life.:speechless:

and how did he betray or disrespect the lakers. the lakers can still match. he went out and got what he had coming, forcing the lakers to give it to him. I'm sure he still wants the lakers to match.

This is a hilarious post overall. 25 to 3.2? and what's the big deal about overpaying 20%, when you're talking about $4mil? It's not like paying $20mil instead of $16 mil.:confused:

Beasley'sBeauty
07-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah Ronny!! I wonder who Kobe will recruit as his new groupie now?

ackar
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM

The NBA is a business get over it. The Lakers were goign to offer him fair market value for his services so he took the deal he thought is best for him. Now the Lakers if they really value his services will match if not then he signs with the warriors.

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Turiaf basically agreed to sign with the Warriors if the Lakers do no match. It was a mutual decision between both parties. But, seeing as he is a restricted free agent, the Lakers have great control over the situation. They can keep him if they are willing to pay. If Lakers do not match, he is a Warrior, if they do match, he is a Laker

SwaggaIke
07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
This is what its all about for a guy like Turiaf (2nd round pick). Their job is to work for that lucrative second contract and he's obtained that. Do the Lakers plan on supporting him the rest of his life after basketball? Hell no. Kobe isn't putting food on his families plate. I applaud Turiaf for all he's been through and securing his 2nd contract in this foul league.

lewis
07-09-2008, 03:51 PM
its a little high for turiaf, but matching should be a no-brainer for the lakers. The lakers are so far over the cap, its not like the money can be used for someone else if they dont give it to ronny. They still have MLE and such.

The lakers are a rich franchise and can afford to overpay a little.

SHONIE
07-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I will have a lot of respect for him if he leaves LA.

AllTheWay
07-09-2008, 03:58 PM
how exactly did you and whatever group you refer to as "we" save his life?:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure some doctors performing heart surgery saved his life.:speechless:

and how did he betray or disrespect the lakers. the lakers can still match. he went out and got what he had coming, forcing the lakers to give it to him. I'm sure he still wants the lakers to match.

This is a hilarious post overall. 25 to 3.2? and what's the big deal about overpaying 20%, when you're talking about $4mil? It's not like paying $20mil instead of $16 mil.:confused:

My bad if i consider the Lakers as we...im just a fan

The Lakers payed for this guys heart surgery, im sure he could take pay cut considering that

I meant to put anywhere from 2.5 million to 3.2 million, not 25...i think thats obvious that it was a typo.

The big deal is the luxury tax, so Turiaf would really cost around 8 million dollars. Hes an average player, and better or on par guys can be had for cheaper(maybe)

Kurt Thomas and Carl Landry are the first two that come to mind

PHX-SOXFAN
07-09-2008, 04:23 PM
My bad if i consider the Lakers as we...im just a fan

The Lakers payed for this guys heart surgery, im sure he could take pay cut considering that

I meant to put anywhere from 2.5 million to 3.2 million, not 25...i think thats obvious that it was a typo.

The big deal is the luxury tax, so Turiaf would really cost around 8 million dollars. Hes an average player, and better or on par guys can be had for cheaper(maybe)

Kurt Thomas and Carl Landry are the first two that come to mind

don't get mad at Turiaf for getting $4mil and contributing to the luxury tax when you have these on the salary

Lamar Odom $14,559,000
Vladimir Radmanovic $6,049,400
Luke Walton $4,420,000

you get over the cap by panicking and giving guys like walton and radmanovic the MLE, not by paying 2/3 of the mle to a guy like turiaf who plays hard

as far as paying for the heart surgery, employer's insurance companies pay for their employees surgery every day in this country, especially when it's a life threatening situation. the laker's didn't save his life, they fulfilled their duty as an employer and got a return on their investment with how he played these past few years, he doesn't owe them anything.

mjt20mik
07-09-2008, 04:27 PM
4 mill.. I definitely think that's way to much for Ronny.

Spurred1
07-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Seems a bit high for Turiaf, imo.

LAKERMANIA
07-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I hope the Lakers don't match the offer.. Let him walk I say.. I dont think near full MLE is worth it for Turiaf..

lakersrock
07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
did you expect him to take the minimum?:confused: $4mil/year is pretty fair for him. That's not a stretch at all. Just because LA is tight on the cap doesn't mean he should make peanuts. Besides, it's Ronny Turiaf, not a starter anyways. any team can always pick up a warm body to fill his energy role off the bench.

I read somewhere the Lakers first offer to him was 6 year - 2.5 (and later up to) 3.5 million. I wouldn't call that offering him the minimum or peanuts.

lakersrock
07-09-2008, 05:02 PM
as far as paying for the heart surgery, employer's insurance companies pay for their employees surgery every day in this country, especially when it's a life threatening situation. the laker's didn't save his life, they fulfilled their duty as an employer and got a return on their investment with how he played these past few years, he doesn't owe them anything.

Turiaf wasn't signed when he had surgery. He was going for a physical to see if LA should sign him and that condition showed them they shouldn't. They paid for his surgery and even gave him some money to help after. While retaining his rights, they waited on him playing to see if he could come back. When he did, he got his contract. After that, he pledged his loyalty to LA for saving his life and being such a great organization while NOT being his employer. Call it an employer's duty all you want, but he wasn't any more a Laker than Sun Yue is.

Turiaf, 22, cannot practice with the Lakers until he is signed to a contract, and the team would have to waive another player to clear a roster spot for him.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/dec/18/sports/sp-lakerep18

Vegasguy80
07-09-2008, 05:06 PM
This seem more like a haters thread then a thread about Turiaf. And Phx-Soxfan, remember who was in the finals without the guy in your sig and realize who wasn't in the finals with Shaq and Amare!

stevefrancis
07-09-2008, 05:20 PM
thats a good price for him. why should players like jerome james or varejao make more. he's a good player that helps a team get pumped up and he's a nice person. look at james posey teams are gonna pay him over 6 million to come off the bench and hit a few 3s a game. players always get overpaid look at rashard lewis he is not worth 115 million.

lewis
07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
don't get mad at Turiaf for getting $4mil and contributing to the luxury tax when you have these on the salary

Lamar Odom $14,559,000
Luke Walton $4,420,000

you get over the cap by panicking and giving guys like walton and radmanovic the MLE, not by paying 2/3 of the mle to a guy like turiaf who plays hard

As someone else said, Turiaf was not an employee of the lakers at the time of his surgery, and the lakers had no obligation to help him (He was a second round draft pick). The lakers just helped him because it was the right thing to do and they are a classy organization. (Or to put it another way, they would have looked like total ***es if they had not helped).

Also the lakers would be over the cap whether they had signed vladrad and luke or not. And if they hadn't used their mle on vlad they would probably have just used it on some other mediocre destined-to-be-overpaid player. The lakers are always going to be over the cap indefinitely, and there is no reason to worry about cap space when considering contracts at this point.

Turiaf has not yet made huge dollars in the NBA, and for all we know could be at the peak of his NBA value. Any reasonable person would maximize the money they make, and want to provide security for his family and hopefully for generations of his children. I am a lifelong laker fan, but if I was offered a 30% raise to become a warrior fan for 4 years, I would accept. Otherwise the other members of my family would probably disown me.

Turiaf is a feel-good off the court story, an energy and toughness guy (one of the only tough guys the lakers have), a standup character, and a fan favorite. He is exactly the type of player an organization can feel good about giving some extra money too.

The only reason the lakers should even consider letting turiaf walk is if they need the roster space for a better player.

LakerzDQ
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM

Lakers found the doctors and paid for his open heart surgery.
(I think.)

but Ronny would be a good fit in golden state. They lacked power up front, but they now have both Biedrins and Ronny, so that'll mend part of their weakness. Good luck for him, he'll be a good fit in golden state, especially with their crazy fans.

now the lakers have to find another good backup center.

ra8erfan111
07-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Lakers better focus there energy on keeping Sasha Vujacic...there other restricted free agent. They won't be able to match G.S. offer. They can get someone else to accomplish what Turiaf did this year anyways, especially with a healthy Bynum coming back next year, he wouldn't have seen much time anyways.

AllTheWay
07-09-2008, 11:05 PM

Lamar Odom $14,559,000
Luke Walton $4,420,000

Radmanovic would have recieved another teams full MLE if the Lakers had not given it to him (I believe the clippers offered theirs)

Luke was a mistake, He could have been had for at least a mil less if Kupchack had been patient, thats a mistake on his part.

With how hard Turiaf plays, he is still undeserving of that money. There are plenty of energy bigs in the nba that can be had for cheaper, and the Lakers need cheaper

And the Lakers were not Ronnys employer at the time, not for awhile. They didnt have to pay for the surgery......they choose to.

Ronny played like crap in the playoffs and finals....

PHX-SOXFAN
07-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Lakers found the doctors and paid for his open heart surgery.
(I think.)

but Ronny would be a good fit in golden state. They lacked power up front, but they now have both Biedrins and Ronny, so that'll mend part of their weakness. Good luck for him, he'll be a good fit in golden state, especially with their crazy fans.

now the lakers have to find another good backup center.

the lakers paid for it because he was draft pick and an investment. they got his play out of their investment, it's even, he doesn't owe them anything. It was a smart business decision for the lakers to pay for his surgery, above being a "nice/classy thing to do". they got Ronny for the past few years pretty cheap as opposed for looking elsewhere or waiting for Mihm or kwame to fill the role.

you guys act like he still owes something to the lakers, that's ridiculous. and he's not being overpaid very much in terms of many other nba contracts and many already on the lakers roster. it's really splitting hairs when comparing 3.5 to 4 mil. I can't believe this is even a discussion. Oh wait yes I can.