PDA

View Full Version : Warriors offer Ronny Turiaf a contract--4 years/17 million

x_notorious
07-09-2008, 02:44 AM
According to sources inside the NBA circle, the Warriors have offered the Los Angeles Lakers' restricted free agent forward Ronny Turiaf a contract (believed to be paying about $4 million a year) and have shown interest in free-agent combo guard Keyon Dooling.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_9823495?nclick_check=1

Turiaf is a solid defender and rebounder. I'll be shocked if the Lakers didn't match this.

x_notorious
07-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Lakers forward-center Ronny Turiaf agreed to a four-year, $17 million offer from the Golden State Warriors, according to two league sources.

Turiaf is a restricted free agent. The Lakers have seven days to match the Warriors' offer.

Turiaf's agent, Mark Bartelstein would neither confirm nor deny the offer from the Warriors.

Link (http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_turiaf_09.47b3657.html)

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 02:47 AM
you beat me to this! but wow i didn't know he agreed already!

x_notorious
07-09-2008, 02:51 AM
you beat me to this! but wow i didn't know he agreed already!

Yes, but remember, Turiaf is a restricted free agent. The Lakers have 7 days to match this deal. And I hope they do. Turiaf is a great guy of the bench. He can block shots, rebound the ball and is a solid defender. Not much of an offensive guy but in the defensive end, he can get the job done.

Lincoln Logs
07-09-2008, 02:51 AM
Sweet. Exactly the type of backup C/PF who adds the big inside presence the Warriors need, and a solid addition to the bench who will get quality minutes! I don't know if he's worth that much, but I'm hoping so much that the Lakers don't match, but I bet they will. :(

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 02:54 AM
the lakers are already over the salary cap and will have to pay the luxury tax...i dont think they can match this offer.

x_notorious
07-09-2008, 02:57 AM
the lakers are already over the salary cap and will have to pay the luxury tax...i dont think they can match this offer.

The Lakers have been over the salary cap for awhile now. I see no cause in why they can't match this offer.

The Lakers currently have a payroll of $75,135,796 with just 10 players signed for the 2008-09 season.

If they sign Vujacic and Turiaf, the Lakers' payroll could exceed $80 million.

James Posey, a forward with the NBA champion Boston Celtics, has been mentioned as a possibility for the Lakers. But several teams are looking at Posey.

The Lakers are over the salary cap, which will be $58.68 million for the 2008-09 season, and the luxury tax is 71.15 million.

For the 2007-08 season, the Lakers will have to pay the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax of $4,719,543 for exceeding the threshold of $67.865 million.

Link (http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_turiaf_09.47b3657.html)

Squad13
07-09-2008, 03:01 AM
What about S Jax for a pick, Ronnie and Sasha (They both would flurish in your system) sign them for around 4 million per each. Thoughts?

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 03:03 AM
i hate sasha that little cry baby.

hey X, i just thought the lakers were interested in adding someone like posey. would matching this offer hinder their chances of getting posey?

x_notorious
07-09-2008, 03:08 AM
i hate sasha that little cry baby.

hey X, i just thought the lakers were interested in adding someone like posey. would matching this offer hinder their chances of getting posey?

Most likely, unless Buss doesn't mind paying the luxury tax. But in reality, I could really see the Lakers matching this offer and still have enough to sign either Posey or Sasha. Luxury tax really doesn't matter IMO if you are adding pieces to another title run.

Tmac416
07-09-2008, 03:14 AM
ronny turiiaf is not leaving laker land. he is koybe bryants best friend and its well known. he is also a fan favorite and is great for their team chemestry. read bewtween the lines and youll see that turiaf has established his value which the lakers will most likely match if they dont then he is still in a good situation

tadmanny
07-09-2008, 03:57 AM
this is so gay. the warriors only have about 8 million left to spend. that means they r out of any deals with good players. if u give turiaf 4, u cant get anything good with the other 4. keyon dooling sucks ***. i would be really disappointed with these last 2 moves.

jsand3030
07-09-2008, 04:08 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

blip45
07-09-2008, 04:30 AM
ronny turiiaf is not leaving laker land. he is koybe bryants best friend and its well known. he is also a fan favorite and is great for their team chemestry. read bewtween the lines and youll see that turiaf has established his value which the lakers will most likely match if they dont then he is still in a good situation

The lakers would be stupid to try to match that offer. And they would be totally idiotic if they resigned him for that much just because he's Kobe's "so-called" BEST FRIEND. Turiaf is not that piece that will get them a championship or even back to the finals. They need to resign Sasha and look for some perimeter defense help or outside scoring aka (Posey).

I love Turiaf but if you think kobe or any laker fan is going to really care if turiaf is on the roster next year, you're fooling yourself. Lakers have a solid western conference and some powerhouse eastern conference teams to be concerned about. If New orleans gets Posey, Lakers won't be frontrunners in the west anymore. I think you're the one that needs to read between the lines. Kobe wants a championship now and turiaf isn't that piece that'll get them there. You really think he gives a damn if turiafs there waving a towel in the air from the bench next season or not?

Also, why in the world are the warriors going after this guy. I don't see how he fits with them. What's Mullin doing over there!:shrug: :speechless:

LakerDeftones
07-09-2008, 06:06 AM
turiaf isnt worth 4 million

3 million would be good though

to bad, just look at his playoff stats

Thatruth32
07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
i think tha lakers are going to match it...

CHerrenFSU24
07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
The lakers would be stupid to try to match that offer. And they would be totally idiotic if they resigned him for that much just because he's Kobe's "so-called" BEST FRIEND. Turiaf is not that piece that will get them a championship or even back to the finals. They need to resign Sasha and look for some perimeter defense help or outside scoring aka (Posey).

I love Turiaf but if you think kobe or any laker fan is going to really care if turiaf is on the roster next year, you're fooling yourself. Lakers have a solid western conference and some powerhouse eastern conference teams to be concerned about. If New orleans gets Posey, Lakers won't be frontrunners in the west anymore. I think you're the one that needs to read between the lines. Kobe wants a championship now and turiaf isn't that piece that'll get them there. You really think he gives a damn if turiafs there waving a towel in the air from the bench next season or not?

Also, why in the world are the warriors going after this guy. I don't see how he fits with them. What's Mullin doing over there!:shrug: :speechless:

Typical Laker fan.....superstar, superstar, superstar. Remember 2004 when the Lakers started four hall of famers? That team lost to a squad with a few stars and a team full of role players that understood their role and didnt try to do too much. Sure, Boston had the big three this year. But it was players like Powe, House, and Posey that really made the difference, especially in game 4. True, you need your stars to win. But what the Lakers lacked in the finals was TOUGHNESS. Pau Gasol is the NBAs version of the Tinman from the Wizard of Oz....NO heart. The Lakers are soft as tissue, and should they lose Turiaf, make that wet tissue. I think this is a very, very good signing for the W's. Turiaf is not a superstar, he never will be. He'll never make an all star team. But this is the type of player that the Lakers needed more of. As a Warriors fan, I'm glad my squad may be taking a player who you and "Kobe and any Laker fan" could care less about. So question to Laker Fan...should Turiaf leave, who will be filling those minutes in the front court to spell Tin Man and Brittle Bynum?

Conor
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I like this offer, he and Carl Landry were the only two role player big men that stood out to me. Hopefully the Lakers are frugal due to them already being over the luxury tax and that they have two stars in the frontcourt already.

Thatruth32
07-09-2008, 12:27 PM
yea im starting to think they might not match it at first thought i knew how close he is with kobe but i didnt know they were over tha cap... i cant see them paying a dollar for dollar tax to keep him... i dont think its a great pick up but we do need a decent big man off the bench so ill take it

i do like that he would be a good kinda roll model for the younger warriors to play hard...

Tmac416
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM

LOL wow ok, let me break it down for you little boy. So called best firend? no koybe has made that quite clear? Andf what does everyone in LA do? They do whatever it takes so kobe wont go cry and want a trade. IF you think that doesnt have an affect then your crazy. BUt lets asssume that thats wrong to, lets focus on his play. His minutes have increased every year and his game has improved every year. when he came he didnt have the 15 foot jumper he has now. He was the only person on that team that wasnt a ***** and would go rebound the damn ball. Your freakin crazy if you dont think the lakers want him back, tryin act like kobe wouldnt care bs. look what happend when his other only friend,. fisher came back. kobe calmed down. Its about building a team.

I just cant really take you seriously. you think the lakers jsut need to sme more permiter scores but they got beat becuase they were pushed around beatin up and got straight beat. If there is one player who isnt high on the list it would sahsa who is a dime a dozen player. The hornets ar epretty much the saem tema even if they sign posey. You have zero understanding of what a team is clearly. when i said read bewteen the lines i was right. he is trying to establish his value to the lakers. thats what you freakin do when your a restricted free agent. You have no one to replace turiaf with and yes kobe will care. YOu need players like him on your team and he is a straight hardworker who has conitued to improve. And why did mullen go after him? becuase he will run the floor with 100% energy and heart, crash the boards throw his body around and bring energy and excitment when you need it the most. he is very valuable and if your willing to pay 3 mill, its really not that bad to go pay 4 mil for 4 years.

bryan71023
07-09-2008, 03:12 PM
4 years 17 million way too much just for a backup don't like it at all. it was good to get maggette but save this money for someone better

Conor
07-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Turiaf is probably the best true PF out there besides Okafor.....

Thatruth32
07-09-2008, 03:51 PM
4 years 17 million way too much just for a backup don't like it at all. it was good to get maggette but save this money for someone better

its not that much come on pietrus **** just got like 5 6 mil a year... remeber the garbage man whatever we called him brian cardnal got like 50 60 mil for a back up player... 4 mil a year for his hustle is ok by me....

cali72888
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM

some one better, who out there now is better??
turiaf is a excellent piece to add to the warriors, just ask the lakers bench why they were always smiling and happy to play the game. turiaf is the life of that team, he gives them a personality, he gets the energy flowing with his dancing before the game and his singing along with his i-pod. off the floor he is a perfect example of what a NBA player should be, and on the floor he is a perfect example of a player who has a unbelievable work ethic and will do anyhting to get not only himself, but his team better. he is an unselfish player who can be the garbage man around the basket on offence, also create his own shot with his jumper and pound the ball because of his size.
his defence and rebounding is what really helps the W's, and his presence on and off the court is going to give the warriors somthing they dont have now.
he is well worth the 4 million we are paying, and we still have more money to spend before resigning biedris and ellis.

Tmac416
07-09-2008, 04:14 PM
its not that much come on pietrus **** just got like 5 6 mil a year... remeber the garbage man whatever we called him brian cardnal got like 50 60 mil for a back up player... 4 mil a year for his hustle is ok by me....

exactly plus he isnt afraid to hit anyone or take hit. he great to have on your tema.great for chemistry and he improves every years. He had no jumpshot or even a consistant post move and now he has both. ovbiusly he isnt a superstar but i think he more valuable than pietrus and to be honest i really like it . he brings so much to the tbale that deosnt always show up in the stats sheet. by the way with his shustle and heart, its seriously only a matter of time before all teh fans jsut love this guy. i mean the guy almsot died cuz of his heart problem and he battled his way back. hes a great asset to have and his contract is not over the top or going to hamper us for the next 4 years.

cali72888
07-09-2008, 04:35 PM
we should resign azabuke now and trade for michael redd, package harrington and a #1 for redd. throw in belinelli if needed.
lineup would be:
PG: monte/watson
SG: redd/azabuke/
SF: jackson/magette/anthony
PF: wright/turiaf/hendrix
C: biedris/perovic/

djeller1139
07-09-2008, 04:52 PM
i would have much rather spent the 17 mil on Okafor or Josh Smith...I don't see why this was an important move for the Warriors to make.

Lincoln Logs
07-09-2008, 05:28 PM
^ Because we need defense, rebounding, and a deeper bench. Turiaf helps fill all those holes, while also bringing so much heart and energy to the floor. True we could have used the money on Smith or Okafor, but chances are we would have been outbid by the clippers for Smith, and the Bobcats would have matched for Okafor. I don't think either of those players are worth as much as 17 mil either, allthough they are good players. Oh and since we want to keep the bird rights to Monta, Biedrins, and probably Buike, their 9 million combined caphold to keep those rights puts at at only 8 million left to spend. Neither of those two will sign for just 8 mil. Plus I think the Warriors think very highly about their 8th pick from 2007, Brandan Wright, and don't want another player blocking his path.

He's simply a solid backup for him and Biedrins who can bang around with the bigger PF/C in the game whos improving and will get quality minutes.

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Tmac, you're right in thinking the Lakers will want to match the offer. But IMO I don't think they will...they'll be paying double for him because of the luxury tax. Turiaf is not worth $8 million.

This is a good move for us...and whoever doesn't think so should really think about it some more. We have no depth on our team...and now we'd be adding a body to help out Biedrins. This is where we struggled last season. If you don't know about Turiaf, he had surgery because HIS HEART WAS TOO BIG! How ironic is that? He plays with all out effort everytime he steps foot onto the court. This is a guy you want on your team.

djeller1139
07-09-2008, 05:44 PM
The only good thing Turiaf has to offer is his hyphy dance, which is perfect for Oakland, but still not worth the money. I'd rather us spend that 4 million/year as part of a contract for Okafor or Smith, and let Wright backup F/C and develop with more minutes. If the Lakers don't match, i think this signifies even more so that we should trade Harrington because he is too expensive and we won't need him as a 3/4 with Jackson, Maggette, Randolph, and Turiaf all being able to hold down those postitions

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
We only had a little over $8 million left to work with...how were we going to get Okafor or Smith? They would command way more than that.

Plus, everyone should stop their obsession with Josh Smith. Yes, he is young and very, very athletic. But all you guys see on ESPN are the nice dunks and blocks. I don't think he's that great of a scorer and he turns the ball over a lot. He was horrible in the playoffs.

Instead of maxing out on Smith, we're getting Maggette, Turiaf, a backup point to Monta, and another veteran at the minimum. And we still have money to resign Monta, Beans and Buike. Our team is better overall than if we just went after Josh Smith.

Tmac416
07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
We only had a little over $8 million left to work with...how were we going to get Okafor or Smith? They would command way more than that.

Plus, everyone should stop their obsession with Josh Smith. Yes, he is young and very, very athletic. But all you guys see on ESPN are the nice dunks and blocks. I don't think he's that great of a scorer and he turns the ball over a lot. He was horrible in the playoffs.

Instead of maxing out on Smith, we're getting Maggette, Turiaf, a backup point to Monta, and another veteran at the minimum. And we still have money to resign Monta, Beans and Buike. Our team is better overall than if we just went after Josh Smith.

bravo

ridere46
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
i guess the warriors is not getting josh smith...but at least we got Ronnie! Hahaha. seriously, i like this signing. he doesn't fit the Ws system but right now the Ws don't have anyone to defend guys like Boozer or Bynum. he'll be a huge help on the defensive side while the young guys develop further.

Tmac416
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
yes he does fit our sytem. you can have only string beans. he constanly moving. just becuase last year we had string beans athe position but nelly always lieks to have bangers to put with all the offensive guys. he fits very well with us

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
^Exactly. Turiaf is a true PF. He doesn't rebound extremely well...but he's a big body with a better IQ than Foyle, Mbenga, Pietrus...etc. It's time to get true bigs. No more putting Harrington on Yao...even though that plan actually worked. But you get my point. Harrington has no business as our center.

Tmac416
07-09-2008, 06:21 PM
peple think nellys system just has string beans runing around and shooting gaurs at PF. he has alwyas liekd ot have hard nosed players. we just havnt been able to get any for the last two years. Remeber he was the coach when the mavs signed dampier. his ideal system is 4 guys runing up and down one guy thats brings the engery on defense hustle, rebounding. turiaf can run the floor, throw oops down like he did form kobe and fit in quite nicly. and he will be fan favorite. ebcuase evben if you may not liek it now, when you watch the guy everyday and learn more about his life, you will see his a true warrior

Conor
07-09-2008, 06:22 PM
i guess the warriors is not getting josh smith...but at least we got Ronnie! Hahaha. seriously, i like this signing. he doesn't fit the Ws system but right now the Ws don't have anyone to defend guys like Boozer or Bynum. he'll be a huge help on the defensive side while the young guys develop further.

Remember, we don't have him yet. He signed him to an offer sheet, which the Lakers can still match because he is a restricted free agent, and he'd be back on the Lakers. So now we have to wait for the Lakers to decide.

Lincoln Logs
07-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Remember, we don't have him yet. He signed him to an offer sheet, which the Lakers can still match because he is a restricted free agent, and he'd be back on the Lakers. So now we have to wait for the Lakers to decide.

Yeah but that's the other nice thing about this deal. If the Lakers do match, his contract goes up to 8 million a year because they are over the luxury tax,. So its win-win, either we get a big man who can compliment our others PF/C, or we drive up the price on the hated Lakers, which could hinder them later(Bynum is RFA next year, Kobe want raise):D

Conor
07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Exactly, and that's a big reason I feel strongly that the Lakers won't match. You never know though.

Sports Illustrator
07-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Lakers forward Ronny Turiaf, a restricted free agent, is expected to sign an offer sheet with the Golden State Warriors today, according to a league source with knowledge of the negotiations. It would be a four-year deal for about $17 million. Once the offer sheet is relayed to the Lakers, they will have seven days to match it, a move they are not expected to make. The Lakers just paid nearly $5 million in luxury taxes for the 2007-08 season. The tax for 2008-09 will be triggered at $71.15 million. The Lakers payroll is at $75.1 million for 10 players.

From Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers10-2008jul10,0,5450820.story)

Kdirt
07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I like adding Turiaf, but certainly like everyone else I want to land one more big name someway somehow. Obviously with Turiaf we are not going to unless it is via trade w/ Harrington's 8+ million dollar contract. So looks like we'll win about 30-40 games next year with what our roster looks like now unless Ellis becomes Chris Paul at point and Wright becomes Bosh over night.

GWarrior
07-10-2008, 03:11 PM
The W's offer is front heavy (higher salary the first year) to make it harder for the Lakers to match by paying higher luxury taxes.

Tmac416
07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
i think this is the first time ive seen a mod make a dupilcate thread lol

Storch
07-10-2008, 03:26 PM
i still dont understand why anyone would want to try to compete for turiaf. I think the warriors just wana mess with the lakers.

Tmac416
07-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Connor quick merge the threads before we have the exact sme debate in here and beat the dead horse into glue!

Thatruth32
07-10-2008, 03:33 PM
i like turtles..... lol i dunno just thinking of that damn youtube video lol

Jimmy3702
07-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Guess it is a good pickup. Hopefully he will provide some rebounding off the bench.

tru_warrior
07-10-2008, 06:07 PM
supposedly the contract offer is front-loaded....which will make it harder for the lakers to match right now with their financial situation.

LakerzDQ
07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
supposedly the contract offer is front-loaded....which will make it harder for the lakers to match right now with their financial situation.

don't worry, Lakers are not gonna match it.

good luck with Ronny, he's a good guy. pretty crazy though, like the fans over there in GSW.

Mister Mitty
07-11-2008, 12:12 AM
I'd like this signing if the Ws were close to being a championship contender with 1 or 2 superstars on the team. Unfortunately, the Ws are in transition from the Baron Era to the Monta Era.

Can Monta play the 1?
Can Wright play the 4?
Can Randolph even play?
Can Belli play some D?
Can Biedrins get a post game of any sort?
Will Harrington be on the team or be traded?
Will Maggette try to score 30 ppg to justify his contract?
Will SJack be the same without Baron on the team?

Too many questions on the team and its performance, and we're wasting cap space on a backup who'd be more effective on a championship contending team.

tru_warrior
07-11-2008, 12:22 AM
^you dont know the answers to these questions...thats why they play the game. just because we lost baron doesn't mean we're not gonna play to win. turiaf is going to give us some extra depth in the front court. its a fine move.

Thatruth32
07-11-2008, 01:13 AM

yup yup

Sports Illustrator
07-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Lakers forward Ronny Turiaf, a restricted free agent, got the big money he was seeking Thursday, about $17 million over four years. What remains to be determined is who will be paying him, the Golden State Warriors, who signed Turiaf to an offer sheet, or the Lakers, who have seven days to match that offer. Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak had no comment upon receiving the paperwork. But matching the Warriors' offer would seem a stretch for the Lakers, already over the salary cap and at the tipping point for the luxury tax, to more than quintuple the yearly salary of Turiaf, a reserve who averaged 18.7 minutes last year and only 9.8 in the postseason. The 25-year-old Turiaf's salary last season was $770,610.

From Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers11-2008jul11,0,6237254.story)

GWarrior
07-11-2008, 01:14 PM
The offer is frontloaded. The first year would be $5M. That force the Lakers to pay $10M because they are over the luxury tax. It it hard for them to justify that expenditure.