PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Dempster

Snydesdale
07-09-2008, 01:42 AM
Ryan is a free agent at the end of the year will the cubs resign him?

Shunoo
07-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Me personally, it would be a damn shame if the Cubs didn't resign him. It seems as though he keeps everyone loose in that clubhouse with his antics and the icing on the cake is that he is performing at such a high level right now. The road record could be better, but he has consistently kept us in games and he is throwing gems at home.

I've seen Demp come in from right field, donning an asian-type cap that a vendor sells outside, before the game started and his Harry Caray impersonation is pretty good. I hope the Cubs organization can resign him.

CubsRule08
07-09-2008, 02:57 AM
He seems to be a fan favorite, and the season he is having is wonderful...i would love to have Demp back

Wrigleyboy25
07-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Let's see how he pitches in the second half having to handle all these innings.

giventofly
07-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Let's see how he pitches in the second half having to handle all these innings.
:nod:

The Riot
07-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Lets not get worked up over Dempster's personality. He's having a season most of us never expected, but until we see him put together a full season, I don't think any of us should worry about resigning him. His season best ERA is 3.66 in 2000 with Florida, with a career 4.67 ERA. He's a likable guy, but he may be having a career year.
I like him as a person, and I love what he's doing for the team this year, but until the season ends, I'm not going to get worked up over Demp as long as Big Z and Harden are locked-up for next year.

windycityD
07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I think and hope we may be players in the Sabathia sweepstakes, pending who the new ownership group is.

We have a bit coming off the books potentially-Eyre, Howry, Wood, Dempster, Ward, Blanco (3 mil '09 option year).

Z, CC, and Harden and/ or Lilly would be a formidable 1-3/4.

behindmydesk
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
At the least wait to see, either way, he'll get an unjstified due to his age, and past performance, a contract he shouldn't get.

windycityD
07-09-2008, 02:55 PM
At the least wait to see, either way, he'll get an unjstified due to his age, and past performance, a contract he shouldn't get.

Save maybe three-four arms in the entire game if you're talking starters, what contract for a pitcher is justified? They are all potential nutso, risk-reward investments. Or just plain bad ones ala Marquis (9 mil+ in '09).

I for one think he'll have a 7-5 record with the Brew Crew. Between a few bad outings and some blown games/ wins by that crap pen of theirs, that wont up his ante astronomically, but yeah, he'll get ridiculous money.

If Dempster would do three years at 12 per, that seems reasonable, maybe. Then again, he could command much more, and this is a guy, who all hats off to him, has come a long way from 2000.

behindmydesk
07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Save maybe three-four arms in the entire game if you're talking starters, what contract for a pitcher is justified? They are all potential nutso, risk-reward investments. Or just plain bad ones ala Marquis (9 mil+ in '09).

I for one think he'll have a 7-5 record with the Brew Crew. Between a few bad outings and some blown games/ wins by that crap pen of theirs, that wont up his ante astronomically, but yeah, he'll get ridiculous money.

Huh the brewcrew?

poodski
07-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Right now I would vote no, because I think its a career year, he will want probably 5 years at what 12 or so a year?

I just dont think he will be worth quite that.

Plus if we let him walk we will get at least one comp spec for him.

If he takes a hometown discount maybe, but right now I would lean towards no.

Theriot2
07-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I think and hope we may be players in the Sabathia sweepstakes, pending who the new ownership group is.

We have a bit coming off the books potentially-Eyre, Howry, Wood, Dempster, Ward, Blanco (3 mil '09 option year).

Z, CC, and Harden and/ or Lilly would be a formidable 1-3/4.

I'll take Wood, Howry, and Dempster back.

guru
07-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Lets not get worked up over Dempster's personality. He's having a season most of us never expected, but until we see him put together a full season, I don't think any of us should worry about resigning him. His season best ERA is 3.66 in 2000 with Florida, with a career 4.67 ERA. He's a likable guy, but he may be having a career year.
I like him as a person, and I love what he's doing for the team this year, but until the season ends, I'm not going to get worked up over Demp as long as Big Z and Harden are locked-up for next year.

He is locked up for about 4 more years.

windycityD
07-09-2008, 03:27 PM

Overpriced pitchers and Bob Howry...so, are we into the "good" Howry yet? Based on last night, I'm guessing that mystical line in the spin and time has not been traversed quite yet.

Wood and the hometown discount, to me, could very well happen. The guy is a Cub through and through, seemingly loves it here and is hooked on the bug of being a Cub. Dempster's opp at truly big time money will only come once, and after this season is that time.

Going back to the question of his worth, I'm not convinced one good year as a starter is much of an indication at all really. I really like this guy, his attitude, his stuff. But, the but exists for me at least. I'd have little issue w/ bringing he and Wood back within financial reason. I'd also have little issue seeing Sabathia every 5 days on the bump for us as the #2.

BuckyBadger
07-09-2008, 03:27 PM

No Howry!!!!! :mad:

giventofly
07-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Right now I would vote no, because I think its a career year, he will want probably 5 years at what 12 or so a year?

I just dont think he will be worth quite that.

Plus if we let him walk we will get at least one comp spec for him.

If he takes a hometown discount maybe, but right now I would lean towards no.
Great point right there.

Demp is almost a lock to be a type A free agent.

DamnGoat
07-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Great point right there.

Demp is almost a lock to be a type A free agent.
Unless he completely falls apart in the 2nd half.

If he wants to come back on the cheap then sure why not? But I'm sure some team will wildly overpay for him.

CuseDude87
07-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I'd also have little issue seeing Sabathia every 5 days on the bump for us as the #2.

With Harden as a #3? :speechless::drool:

windycityD
07-09-2008, 04:33 PM
With Harden as a #3? :speechless::speechless::speechless:

R-L-R-L

Z CC RH Lilly

CuseDude87
07-09-2008, 05:09 PM
R-L-R-L

Z CC RH Lilly

And if Demp resigns, it'll be R-L-R-L-R. Can you imagine that rotation plus our current lineup?

LF Soriano-R
RF Fukudome-L
1B Lee-R
3B Ramirez-R
CF Edmonds-L
C Soto-R
2B-DeRosa-R
SS- Theriot-R

If the Cubs got a lefthanded CF, SS, or 2B, Lou would be living in baseball heaven.

poodski
07-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Unless he completely falls apart in the 2nd half.

If he wants to come back on the cheap then sure why not? But I'm sure some team will wildly overpay for him.

If he falls apart then he wouldnt get that much in FA and it would be wiser I would say to resign him.

He is going to be an average pitcher most likely. Nothing like he is now, but a good middle to back end pitcher.

I might take him at a Lilly type deal, but that puts alot of money in our rotation.

Alot of money.

dabears34ft
07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
I can see a guy like him wanting to stay in Chicago were he seems to be so welcome so maybe we will get the home town Discount. If we can sign him for a lilly like deal I'll for sure take it since I don't think lilly is much better than him. I honestly am still in shock that we have Rich Harden in our rotation now. Unreal. If dempster has a stellar 2nd half I say keep him. If not hopefully his market value falls and I say keep him. If he creeps by the
2nd half of the year with average stats, but not bad enough to lose his high price tag than I say look elsewhere. I really don't think the Cubs are pressing that much financially or they would'nt be making the moves that they do. Its not like there is a cap or something.

NorthSideChamp
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
i doubt he stays in chicago if stays this good. He would be a free agent at easily the most profitable time in his career. I would think he would want to get paid. But with that said the guy is a class act, completely likable, says all the right things, stays loose, and puts in the effort everyday. I would like to see him back here if he would sign a 2 yr 20mil type contract but id also like to see him get paid.

turnaround3
07-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Huh the brewcrew?

BMD, a bit off-topic, but considering the name of the thread, maybe not...

I haven't heard anything from you on this so far...with Demp at 10 wins before the break, getting a bit nervous at all? Or are you headstrong that he wont manage 5 wins in the next 2 and a half months?

CuseDude87
07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
BMD, a bit off-topic, but considering the name of the thread, maybe not...

I haven't heard anything from you on this so far...with Demp at 10 wins before the break, getting a bit nervous at all? Or are you headstrong that he wont manage 5 wins in the next 2 and a half months?

Can't be permabanned because of a bet, so it really doesn't matter.

DeShaun Brown
07-12-2008, 02:36 AM
R-L-R-L

Z CC RH Lilly

And if Demp resigns, it'll be R-L-R-L-R. Can you imagine that rotation plus our current lineup?

LF Soriano-R
RF Fukudome-L
1B Lee-R
3B Ramirez-R
CF Edmonds-L
C Soto-R
2B-DeRosa-R
SS- Theriot-R

If the Cubs got a lefthanded CF, SS, or 2B, Lou would be living in baseball heaven.

That would be awesome.