PDA

View Full Version : We Have About 8 Million Dollars To Spend... Who should we pursue?

Conor
07-09-2008, 12:35 AM
I've done the math and we should have about 8 million to spend if we renounce the rights to every FA of ours except the only three we really should keep, in Azubuike (who has a "caphold" of about 800k), Monta (a "caphold" of 1.5 million), and Biedrins (a "caphold" of about 6.5 million). Basically that's about 9 million of dead money we can't spend on other FAs unless we renounce these guys' rights. So who do we go after, if anyone, on the open market that we can get at a starting salary of around 8 million? I've been searching and I've been hardpressed to find players who fit this pricerange that are PGs and PFs (if we are to trade Harrington for a PG). So any ideas?

And should we use all of this cap space, we will have about 20 million available to spend on Azubuike, Biedrins, and Ellis which is pretty much dead-on for what I expect them to get, with Monta netting about 10 million, Biedrins about 8, and Azubuike about 2.

If anyone is confused by my endless mumbling, let me know, and I'll try to make more sense of this. But for now, I'm going to search for a player or players worth spending this money on. Maybe Emeka Okafor? We could pull a 76ers type trade and dump Kosta Perovic on someone for a trade exception, netting 2 million more and allowing us to spend about 10 million which could definitely contend for Okafor, and doubtfully Smith, but you never know!

gswarriors09
07-09-2008, 12:36 AM
who are the availble free agents?

Conor
07-09-2008, 12:37 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008FreeAgents

Mister Mitty
07-09-2008, 12:46 AM
We should find a trade partner for Al and or SJax included with the 8 million in cap space for a difference maker preferably a PG or a PF.

Conor
07-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Well the only likely situation out there for getting a PG via trade is Kirk Hinrich for Harrington who have nearly the same salary, so using the cap space in that trade isn't necessary. In that case though, we would definitely need to get a PF, even if it's just a quick fix guy until Wright/Randolph/Hendrix blossom.

Conor
07-09-2008, 12:54 AM
There sure isn't anything out there as far as PFs, except for Okafor....so if we're gonna win now, we should go hard at him. Trade Perovic for a TE, and offer Okafor a contract starting at 10 million per...something similar to what we're giving Maggette.

Then if we trade Harrington for Hinrich, we'll have a very nice well rounded lineup of

PG: Hinrich/Watson?
SG: Ellis/Maggette/Azubuike
SF: Jackson/Maggette/Azubuike
PF: Okafor/Wright/Randolph
C: Biedrins/Hendrix?

Mister Mitty
07-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Well I was thinking along the lines.. Harrington makes 9 mil we have 8 mil in cap space. Trading Harrington and a first round pick for Marion. Then Trade Sjax to the Spurs for a 1st round pick.

New lineup:
Monta
Maggete
Marion
Wright
Biedrins

And then with Marion's contract expiring we have cap space for a major free agent later.

Although, I don't see the heat doing this without getting more. But we can dream :)

Conor
07-09-2008, 01:00 AM
We still don't have a true PG though....and if we trade Harrington+ for Marion, might as well keep Jackson. I wouldn't complain with a situation like that though, although I don't see the motivation for a trade like that on the Heat's side.

IamTurboman
07-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Why would we trade Jack for the Spurs pick? The spurs are good. Do the spurs even have cap room to get Jack? If they did that would be a nice exemption.

Giants-49ers-Ws
07-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Dump Harrington on someone and we'll have double the money we have now to spend..but first things first...bring back Monta, Andris, Kelenna.

Conor
07-09-2008, 01:23 AM
We can't re-sign any of them until after we sign an open market guy, because we can go over the cap with our bird rights on those 3, but not on a FA we get from another team. So re-signing those 3 has to be the last thing we do.

Lincoln Logs
07-09-2008, 01:28 AM
I heard on Espn, Mark Stein thinks that Maggette is getting 7.5-8.5 mil a year. That beign said, might Baron take an even further pay cut for a contract worth 12 mil a year for 3 years. If he did that, they'd become contenders, IMO(if Jackson or Maggette would be content as 6th man, and Wright can be at least decent). Just another unlikely thought.

More realistically - Save it for next year? :confused:

EBfan!123
07-09-2008, 01:53 AM
There sure isn't anything out there as far as PFs, except for Okafor....so if we're gonna win now, we should go hard at him. Trade Perovic for a TE, and offer Okafor a contract starting at 10 million per...something similar to what we're giving Maggette.

Then if we trade Harrington for Hinrich, we'll have a very nice well rounded lineup of

PG: Hinrich/Watson?
SG: Ellis/Maggette/Azubuike
SF: Jackson/Maggette/Azubuike
PF: Okafor/Wright/Randolph
C: Biedrins/Hendrix?

That be a good team there Conrad, but is that likely? Mullen seems to be shying a way from big trades.

ridere46
07-09-2008, 02:02 AM
i like okafor but he doesn't play a running style...we do need a point, like Hinrich...hope that happens

warriors4life
07-09-2008, 02:15 AM
how about ben gordon? honestly, i think ben gordon is better than hinrich.

OneOpportunity
07-09-2008, 02:17 AM
isnt Ben Gordon a SG? Either way the guy can shoot like few can.

CB30
07-09-2008, 02:27 AM
how about ben gordon? honestly, i think ben gordon is better than hinrich.

Gordan wouldnt have a spot in the lineup with Monta, Jackson , and Maggette. Plus we need a point gaurd and the Bulls could possibly part with Hinrich because of Rose.