PDA

View Full Version : Clips to Pursue Josh Smith?

phlp_bj
07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
The Clippers, sources said, expected to respond to the departures of Brand and Maggette by making a hard run at Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith, who was Philadelphia's No. 2 target behind Brand. If the Clippers elect to sign Smith to an offer sheet, Atlanta would have seven days to match.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3479117

LakerzDQ
07-08-2008, 11:02 PM
would be funny if the clippers ended up with no one. sad team.

AgentViet
07-08-2008, 11:11 PM
They should, he's young and full of potential. Kaman-Smith-Thorton-Gordon-Davis is a great up tempo team. They're all young too except for Davis. Another option for them would be Emeka Okafor.

JordansBulls
07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
So now this pushes the Clippers out the playoffs again.

BDAWK11
07-08-2008, 11:15 PM
they need okafor or Smith IMO

kntresistheheat
07-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Why would smith want to go to the west, and most importantly the "CLIPPS" I rather stay in atlanta they have a more promising future than the clipps, I just dont see J.Smith signing with clipps????? I say the heat should do a sign and trade with atlant S/T SMITH for Marion, Like that they wont just loose him for nothing and it would work for both teams!

QuaLiThADoN
07-08-2008, 11:28 PM
poor clippers lol

Chronz
07-08-2008, 11:36 PM
they need okafor or Smith IMO

Agreed if Im the Clippers and I just lost Brand I would rebuild, wait a year and sign Emeka when hes an unrestricted free agent.

kylem4711
07-09-2008, 12:35 AM
i dont really want smith

SHONIE
07-09-2008, 12:42 AM
I hope they get him. They won't win anything if they get Smith and Davis, and they wouldn't have with Brand and Davis, but they'd be fun to watch regardless.

kylem4711
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
^ the clips would have been a tough team with brand and davis. you cant say what they could or couldn't have done.

SHONIE
07-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Adding Davis doesn't make them ridiculously better. They'd basically be upgrading from Maggette and fixing their PG issue. Assuming Brand was healthy, how would they match up against the Lakers, Hornets, Spurs, Rockets, Jazz? All of those teams have superior 1-2(maybe even 3) punches. Kobe-Gasol/Bynum(possibly), Paul-West/Chandler, Parker/Ginobli-Duncan, Tmac-Yao, Williams-Boozer/Okur.

The combo of Davis-Brand doesn't really compete with those mentioned. Especially since Brand is undersized against all of those big men.

Regardless, that isn't happening anyway. I still like Josh Smith on the Clippers, I love mixing things up a little.

RocketsRule
07-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Makes sense, he fits in there style of play. Davis and Smith will be deadly on the fastbreak together. This is no surprise at all, especially since Brand left.

ridere46
07-09-2008, 01:40 AM
i hope they get smith. i feel bad for the clips fans. they deserve something.

theimortalone
07-09-2008, 08:51 AM
The clippers need Josh Smith especially since they couldn't get Brand back!

MKH
07-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I think the Knicks should try too get him in a S & T when Atlanta doesn't want to match. Offer two from a combo of Nate, Chandler, Lee & Rose (filler). He would be perfect compliment to Curry in NY with D'Antoni's style of play. We could move Gallanari to SF.

_Sn1P3r_
07-09-2008, 10:00 AM
If Smith ends up with the Clippers, I think Baron would/should sign with the Clippers. Those two would be a highlight reel on the fastbreak.

marques724
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Clippers need to do something. Smith would be a good pickup but I think he stays in Atlanta now.

Dirty Dirk41
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
i wish some players just didnt care about money and they cared about winning so we could see JoshSmith sign cheap in Philly... Or other players taking less to DEFINITELY make a team a title contender...ahh welll

Dirty Dirk41
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
i been readin a few articles saying the clips will Heavily pursue BOTH okafor and Smith... What a lineup that would be

Kaman
Okafor
Smith/Thorton
Mobley/Gordan
Davis/

Mr.ATLHawks
07-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I wish people would stop saying S/T and trade for Shawn Marion. ATLANTA DOES NOT WANT SHAWN MARION!!!!! They want a big man or a perimeter shooter and Shawn Marion is neither. If they dont want to pay Josh Smith 11 million dollars why in holy hell would they trade for a mediocre player with no upside that is making 17 million dollars thats going to be a free agent next year? Miami fans keep dreaming your not going to get Josh Smith that easy. diehard Atlanta fans including myself would damn the Hawks to hell for not re-signing this man unless they get top level talent. All the players ATL missed out on CP3, D.Will, they absolutely must keep Josh Smith not matter the cost. He is important for their team and organization...Thats like Miami trading Dwayne Wade...ludicrous..
Why would smith want to go to the west, and most importantly the "CLIPPS" I rather stay in atlanta they have a more promising future than the clipps, I just dont see J.Smith signing with clipps????? I say the heat should do a sign and trade with atlant S/T SMITH for Marion, Like that they wont just loose him for nothing and it would work for both teams!

Mr.ATLHawks
07-09-2008, 10:43 AM
What the hell...So ATL doesnt have a chance at winning now but the 76ers do? Can they afford to bring Andre Iguodala and Louis Williams back now? They have Brand and Andre Miller but what after that?...If he cares about winning he is going to stay right where he is and sign cheap...

i wish some players just didnt care about money and they cared about winning so we could see JoshSmith sign cheap in Philly... Or other players taking less to DEFINITELY make a team a title contender...ahh welll

Dirty Dirk41
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
i really think smith is gone....all these players leaving for more money i see a team offering Smith a contract the hawks cant/wont match

kylem4711
07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
what do you guys think atlanta wont match?
how big will the contract have to be?

Mr.ATLHawks
07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Never underestimate the power of him being from Atlanta, born and raised, growing up watching the abomination ,85 percent of the time, known as the Hawks and wanting to be part of something people can respect in this city.

Dirty Dirk41
07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Never underestimate the power of him being from Atlanta, born and raised, growing up watching the abomination ,85 percent of the time, known as the Hawks and wanting to be part of something people can respect in this city.

I HOPE Smith is that type of guy. But hell were talking Millions more. millions more for his future. i just kno this off-season has been fun already and looks like it will continue all summer

Mr.ATLHawks
07-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Gotta figure Brand got 5 yrs 82 mil (16 mil) Baron got 5 yr 65 mill (13 mill) so I dont believe anyone is going to throw 14-15 million dollars at Josh Smith so the most I would say if I guessed would be 5 yr 60 mil which the Hawks will match...

what do you guys think atlanta wont match?
how big will the contract have to be?

Dirty Dirk41
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
i do think someone will throw that kinda money out.. Everyones trying to get better and contend. Clippers Lost BRAND AND MAGGETTE and quite possibly could lose Baron Davis becuz of it. You dont think theyll go outrageous to get the next best out there

Mr.ATLHawks
07-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah but you also have to look at who has cap room and the biggest threat was Philadelphia. Alot of teams want to sign and trade but they dont have the money to make the offer. LA Clippers i dont think are even a thought for him. Golden State just went and grabbed Maggette, Miami signed James Jones, Orlando signed Pietrus...so unless some blows ATL's socks off with a trade proposal they arent going to be forced to pay him excessively..
I HOPE Smith is that type of guy. But hell were talking Millions more. millions more for his future. i just kno this off-season has been fun already and looks like it will continue all summer

Dirty Dirk41
07-09-2008, 11:05 AM
also i read that the clippers were willing to match philly's offer of 16 million a year buyt brand is choosing the east coast. So maybe they could use that money for smith

Mr.ATLHawks
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
i do think someone will throw that kinda money out.. Everyones trying to get better and contend. Clippers Lost BRAND AND MAGGETTE and quite possibly could lose Baron Davis becuz of it. You dont think theyll go outrageous to get the next best out there

True or do they say F it and just suck until the big free agent crop next year or the year after?

Camden Guru
07-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Gotta figure Brand got 5 yrs 82 mil (16 mil) Baron got 5 yr 65 mill (13 mill) so I dont believe anyone is going to throw 14-15 million dollars at Josh Smith so the most I would say if I guessed would be 5 yr 60 mil which the Hawks will match...

i agree with you. i know smith is a great player from watching him for the past 4 years but i doubt any team will offer him more that 13 mill per year. offering him a contract of 15 million a year is rediculous. Smith should stay a hawk because he would have a better shot at winning here than in LA. Remember the hawks did take boston to 7 games so its not like we are a bad franchise.

Dirty Dirk41
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM
True or do they say F it and just suck until the big free agent crop next year or the year after?

thats a possibility... I would guess they would like to contend now or atleast talk with F.A's and throw em offers. I Just like how almost every team is looking to make a splash. Its awesome

Mr.ATLHawks
And it would seem to me the Clippers are the only team that can offer that ridiculous contract, and if Josh Smith is that $$ driven where he would jump ship to perennial loser then F him, but they still wont let him walk away..the Clipps would have to dish out Kaman or Al Thornton and prolly a 1st round draft pick

MiamiHeat
josh smith is a must for the clips they lost 2 of their stars

SHONIE
07-09-2008, 11:11 AM
He will be a hawk.

Dirty Dirk41
07-09-2008, 11:12 AM
the clips wont be trading for j. smith./...theyll just offer em a big contract an it either gets matched or hes in L.A.. If Clippers could snag both Smith and Okafor like i been reading then they would improve greatly. But who really knows whats going on with teams. There could be so many plans being talked about as we speak

Dalionking
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
would be funny if the clippers ended up with no one. sad team.

LOL, yeah i just heard someone say that a day or so ago. what if they arent able to sign brand, that would be just the clippers luck. too funny. cursed

well at least thornton is good and i believe he will fill in good.

Dalionking
07-09-2008, 11:17 AM
:(
the clips wont be trading for j. smith./...theyll just offer em a big contract an it either gets matched or hes in L.A.. If Clippers could snag both Smith and Okafor like i been reading then they would improve greatly. But who really knows whats going on with teams. There could be so many plans being talked about as we speak

they would have to do a sign and trade for one of them. they wouldnt be able to afford both other wise. it will take a min of 12 million to get josh smith and even that might not be enough. atlanta has said they wont go above 11 million but if it were on the table for 12 i think they would take it.they could definately get one of them but really hard to get both

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 11:57 AM
They really need to consider after losing Brand..

Camden Guru
07-09-2008, 12:00 PM
:(

they would have to do a sign and trade for one of them. they wouldnt be able to afford both other wise. it will take a min of 12 million to get josh smith and even that might not be enough. atlanta has said they wont go above 11 million but if it were on the table for 12 i think they would take it.they could definately get one of them but really hard to get both

im confident that they will match a 12 million easily once the total goes to about 13-14 million do i think the hawks back off. i hope smith is not stupid and takes the money. The Clips probably wont make the playoffs next season while ATL still has a chance to contend in the east.