PDA

View Full Version : Right now, who do Sox fans root to beat the other, Rays or Yanks?

BigEric
07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Usually I say anyone that beats the Yanks are good to me, but I have a little disgust with the Rays right now. Every time I watch ESPN, I see "ohhhh and the SURPRISING Rays pulling away in the AL East." That's just one of the problems I have with them. The fight that they started doesn't help much either.

I'm just curious to see how would you Sox fans want to win RIGHT NOW, the Rays vs the Yanks.

papipapsmanny
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
um the yanks

if u know whats best for the team u want the yanks to sweep the rays

TheLogical
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
yankees.

yaowowrocket11
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I gotta cheer for the Yankees to beat the Rays. I want the Sox to win the division, not finish second, but still ahead of the Yankees. I just wanna win!!!!

kazzy4080
07-08-2008, 10:25 PM
i want the yankees to beat the rays, i wanna be in first, and plus the rays are a bunch of punks

JimmyMal450
07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Definitly want the Yankees to sweep. I'm tired of listening to all the national reporters saying how the Ray's are the best team in baseball, and complaining how "Surprisingly the best team in the majors(the Rays) have only 1 position player and 1 pitcher in the All-Star game."

BeAn 5 ToWnE
07-08-2008, 10:51 PM
ESPN is kissing the Rays *** like they're the Yankees.

Tragedy
07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Definitely rooting for the Yankees here.

The Rays are the superior team; They're the team to be worried about.

asomen
07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm rooting for the Red Sox...and only the Red Sox. I could care less what happens with the rays and yankees. Let them beat the **** out of each other. I don't care. Personally I am not going to get worked up over a game the soxs aren't playing in.

Let's focus on the Twins because that is the only thing we can control the outcome of. Whatever happens between the rays and yankees stays there.

WhyDuquette
07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Rays

i will never root for the yanks

sorry

-Lavigne43-
07-08-2008, 11:50 PM
I am not a fan of scoreboard watching. I only care that we win as much series as possible

RSF1977
07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm rooting for the Red Sox...and only the Red Sox. I could care less what happens with the rays and yankees. Let them beat the **** out of each other. I don't care. Personally I am not going to get worked up over a game the soxs aren't playing in.

Let's focus on the Twins because that is the only thing we can control the outcome of. Whatever happens between the rays and yankees stays there.

Dude
Seriously
AMEN
:clap:

SHONIE
07-09-2008, 12:29 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have full confidence that the Red Sox will be in the playoffs, so I am rooting for them all the way through the World Series. If I had to focus my "rooting" on something in specific, it would be for Varitek and Ellsbury to find their way out of their respective slumps, and for some consistent pitching. Also for Ortiz's successful return. Thats about all I'm worried about, but I really don't have many worries...

lil'papi
07-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I root for the Sox first and foremost, but like it when the team ahead of us is getting beat, no matter who does it.

Right now it happens to be the yankees. :clap:

So it goes like this : GO SAWX- Go Yanks.......then when these series are over it's : GO-SAWX Go whoever plays the Rays and Yankees......

simple for me.....we win ...they lose.

Brooke
07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I hate both BUT I actually hate the Rays more than the Yankees and I never thought that would happen. People all of a sudden getting on their bandwagon is turning me off big time

I am rooting for the Yankees since them beating the Rays helps us especially since we won last night

RedSoxtober
07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Yankees, no doubt. At this point I care more about getting back to the playoffs and stealing first place is the best way to do it.

Towelie
07-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Whoever is ahead of us.

redsox96
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
I root for the Sox first and foremost, but like it when the team ahead of us is getting beat, no matter who does it.

Right now it happens to be the yankees. :clap:

So it goes like this : GO SAWX- Go Yanks.......then when these series are over it's : GO-SAWX Go whoever plays the Rays and Yankees......

simple for me.....we win ...they lose.

couldnta said it betta

Bronx77
07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I was cruising through, I cannot understand how in anyway a Red Sox fan would root for the Yankees period. I am a die hard Yankee fan yet would never, NEVER root for the Red Sox, or ever admit it.

There are still like what, 75 games remaining... no need to root against the Rays, time will take care of that and the Sox & Yankees will both have plenty of time to make ground up and beat Tampa themselves.

You guys of all people should know that it doesnt matter right now... the Yankees have come back from 11 & 14.5 games back to take over and win divisions over you guys recently, the Yankees sweeping the Rays this week has little bearing on what happens at seasons end, its July 9th!

Lets see how Tampon Bay plays when that collar starts to tighten up and winning the division is within reach... these are not tested veterans here... this isnt basketball where a youth movement and livelyness can propel you deep into a postseason. This is baseball, the toughest sport to play in the world.

I recall that joke of a team in Queens last year choking away a large lead late in the season and that team was filled with vets... the Yankees and Sox are both better then the Phillies were when they caught the Muts last year...

there is just a lot of time fellas

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I cannot root for the Yankees ever. I like a few of the players, but they are the "other" the "rival". I am a fan of Tampa's farm system. GO WADE DAVIS. But I am at a passe because I want the Redsox to win the Division, at al costs, but the Rays to be somewhat successful.

Merc4hire
07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
No way can I root for the Yankees, you don't let an organization like that even sniff the lead of the division. The Rays have to prove they can win for an entire season before I "fear" them. I'm rooting for the Red Sox and for a beanfest in the Rays-Yankees series.

lil'papi
07-10-2008, 08:28 AM
I was cruising through, I cannot understand how in anyway a Red Sox fan would root for the Yankees period. I am a die hard Yankee fan yet would never, NEVER root for the Red Sox, or ever admit it.

There are still like what, 75 games remaining... no need to root against the Rays, time will take care of that and the Sox & Yankees will both have plenty of time to make ground up and beat Tampa themselves.

You guys of all people should know that it doesnt matter right now... the Yankees have come back from 11 & 14.5 games back to take over and win divisions over you guys recently, the Yankees sweeping the Rays this week has little bearing on what happens at seasons end, its July 9th!

Lets see how Tampon Bay plays when that collar starts to tighten up and winning the division is within reach... these are not tested veterans here... this isnt basketball where a youth movement and livelyness can propel you deep into a postseason. This is baseball, the toughest sport to play in the world.

I recall that joke of a team in Queens last year choking away a large lead late in the season and that team was filled with vets... the Yankees and Sox are both better then the Phillies were when they caught the Muts last year...

there is just a lot of time fellas

PLEASE! You are trying to tell us if your team was 2 games out of first with three to go and Boston was playing the team ahead you wouldn't root for them?

Doubts......

Plain silly to think NYY this year can come back from 14 down, this yrs team lacks pitching. Win at home good for you. Keep using Rivera like they have and its going to come back and bite you. He is pitching well but Giardi is pulling an overuse card.

Why hate any team so much you root against your own teams chances? I'm totally lost.....

My team gets first anyway they can ....

TB might be the Marlins of a few years ago. How does anyone know , they haven't cracked yet. A three game skid and boom people get all excited.

I for one believe they come back down to earth , but also believe they place ahead of NYY in the end. :D
Why? Better pitching.......

scottyc04901
07-11-2008, 05:55 PM
as much as I hate to say this...the yankees because they are in third and just barely haning on....the sox need to get by the rays!

TheLogical
07-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Rays fans= Bandwagoners, Guess who.

Shtick
09-02-2008, 09:10 PM
So, are we still rooting for the Yanks to beat the Rays?

BeAn 5 ToWnE
09-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes.

Brooke
09-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I dont like rooting for them but I really have no choice

they are up 6-1 right now

Osiagledknarf
09-02-2008, 09:33 PM
First of all, I have to say I really don't mind the media attention that the Rays are getting this season. They deserve it, honestly. I think what they're doing is amazing and a great way to run a franchise. They ARE the best team in baseball, and they've done it with player development, saavy and economic trades, and financial smarts...all things I hold in high esteem.

As far as bandwagoners...yeah, sucks. But remember how many Red Sox bandwagoners there were after 2004? There was a time when I hated them more than like...the Yankees...because it was so extremely aggravating to have some idiot pretend to know who Bill Mueller was...or where third base is for that matter...when I had been suffering through the Curse in faithful starvation. Haha. Same story now...bandwagoners are always gonna be there I guess...lame.

Finally...while I'm not ROOTING for either one, I can't say I wouldn't mind seeing the Yankees put a hurting on the Rays. Particularly, I would LOVE to see the Yankees and the Blue Jays really work the Rays bullpen hard before they come into Fenway next week. I'd still really like to take the division. However, like a bunch of you have said...the real focus has to be simply on winning their own games...you can not get caught up in what other teams are doing.

The Intimidator
09-02-2008, 09:45 PM
It pains me to say this, but I am rooting for a Yankees sweep.

Osiagledknarf
09-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Haha...yeah I hear you.

Brooke
09-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah it hurts rooting for that, but I am with you

Crucis
09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I look at it like this... I'm rooting for the Rays to lose, not the Yanks to win. Of course, if the Rays do lose then the Yanks did get the "W", but you can't have everything. Right now, it's more important that the Rays lose. Besides, I just don't see the Yankees getting as hot as last year's Rockies and pulling off a miracle to get in the playoffs.

Still, I hope that the Sox have their playoff spot locked up before the final 3 games of the regular season against the Yanks. The Yanks might just look at that 3 game series and a chance to knock the Sox out of the playoffs as their "playoffs", and I don't want to give them any reason to be focused on anything but the offseason.

steamydumplings
09-02-2008, 10:16 PM
id defianetly want the yankees to beat the rays:D

The Intimidator
09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I look at it like this... I'm rooting for the Rays to lose, not the Yanks to win. Of course, if the Rays do lose then the Yanks did get the "W", but you can't have everything. Right now, it's more important that the Rays lose. Besides, I just don't see the Yankees getting as hot as last year's Rockies and pulling off a miracle to get in the playoffs.

Still, I hope that the Sox have their playoff spot locked up before the final 3 games of the regular season against the Yanks. The Yanks might just look at that 3 game series and a chance to knock the Sox out of the playoffs as their "playoffs", and I don't want to give them any reason to be focused on anything but the offseason.

with you 100 percent.

Brooke
09-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Rays did lose

Raidaz4Life
09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
This is another one of those.... "I'm rooting for a giant asteroid to crash into the stadium and kill both teams" scenario for me

Nighthawk
09-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Like Crucis said, its not matter of rooting for the Yanks, but more rooting for the Rays to lose. Right now the rays are playing the Yanks so i want the Yanks to win. in a few days ill be hoping the Bluejays defeat the Rays. If your a RedSox fan you want to win the AL East. Only way that happens is if the Rays lose. Its not like were turning into yankee lovers. There just out of it with no chance so **** em. Kick the hell out of the Rays for us PLEASE

BTownTeamsRKing
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
^HAHAHAHA

the way the Red Sox are playing right now, it doesnt matter, but of course i want 1st place.

gosawks
09-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Look, if we keep winning and sweep this series, and the Yankees sweep the Rays then it doesn't matter. The only day that the Yankees could gain some ground on us is Thursday when we don't play. So as long as we take care of business ourselves we're fine...

I suppose I should admit, if you haven't figured it out already I'm shooting for a Yankees sweep just to knock the deficit of us against the Rays down a little. But today was a perfect day which we won, the team we are chasing lost, and the teams chasing us lost... unless you consider the Yankees and Toronto... in which case they both weren't able to gain ground on us.

asomen
09-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Best case scenario...yankees win tomorrow...and rays spank them on thursday...if we can remain 4 back from the rays going into our series with them...anything can happen...

as for the yankees...let them take 2 of 3...and then get a whooping put down on them to lose their confidence. I do not wanna see the yankees with high hopes coming into fenway the last series.

Tragedy
09-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Absolutely the Yankees. They're nearly dead. While they're not yet completely out of it, I find it very difficult to believe they'll get back in it, even with a sweep of a team like TB.

The Rays are playing great ball, so to get ***** slapped by the Yankees would do wonders for us.

JacobyIsMyHomie
09-03-2008, 02:16 AM
if the Yankees sweep and we win we will be 2 games out... so the Yankees... hard

Osiagledknarf
09-03-2008, 05:50 AM
I think alot of you guys summed it up pretty well.

I love the Red Sox...I want the Red Sox to win the Pennant...the Red Sox are trailing the Rays by 4 games now...in order for us to take over first place, the Rays need to lose, sooner rather than later...so, I want the Rays to lose to whoever they are playing.

Besides, the key here is that I want the Red Sox to keep winning. If the Yankees beat the Rays and we still win, we gain ground on the Rays while the Yankees gain NO ground on us. Win-win.

knittingmill
09-03-2008, 07:27 AM
besides damon, giambi and a-frod i can do it.

lil'papi
09-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Of course, I said this earlier in the year and some guys say no-way. I say you a fool. Yankees can win three , we sweep and TB starts sweatin.
Next series we root against them again even harder to make up for our bad thoughts. :D

Osiagledknarf
09-03-2008, 07:35 AM
So...this is the exact same thread as the other one then?

RedSoxtober
09-03-2008, 08:04 AM
I'd like to point out that, due to the imbalance in the number of games played to date, the "number of games out" is not nearly as important as the difference in the loss column. Because we've played more games we can tie for first but still have more losses, and you cannot make up losses.

RedSoxtober
09-03-2008, 08:26 AM
So...this is the exact same thread as the other one then?

Not any more. :D

SocksPhan
09-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't say I am rooting for the Yanks...just glad to see the Rays lose. Its a win - sin situation..if the Yanks win, it helps the sox catch the Rays. If the Yanks lose...well that is just always good.

celticfan
09-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Rays

i will never root for the yanks

sorry

Got that right. I love the Sox but I love the Rays too.

Run Gardner Run
09-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Got that right. I love the Sox but I love the Rays too.

getting your stuff ready to join the waggon? Ive heard of 2 favorites 1 being in the AL and 1 being in the NL, but never in the same league let alone the same division

Raidaz4Life
09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
getting your stuff ready to join the waggon? Ive heard of 2 favorites 1 being in the AL and 1 being in the NL, but never in the same league let alone the same division

Amen.... thats just unfanlike...

The Intimidator
09-03-2008, 09:45 PM
6-3 Yankees in the 7th right now...I hate myself for saying this but...let's go yanks.

RedSoxtober
09-03-2008, 11:35 PM
6-3 Yankees in the 7th right now...I hate myself for saying this but...let's go yanks.

Don't hate yourself... first place is much more important than the rivalry.

Crucis
09-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I have no problem hoping that the Yanks will beat the Rays.

Ask yourself. What's more important? The Sox winning or the Yankees losing? Much as I dislike the Yankees, if rooting for the Yanks to beat the Rays helps the Red Sox, then I'm going to root for whatever helps the Red Sox.