PDA

View Full Version : Will Baron Davis Back Out?

phlp_bj
07-08-2008, 10:12 PM
The Philadelphia 76ers have upped the ante in the East, agreeing in principle to a deal that will pay Elton Brand $82.5 million over the next five seasons.

The first domino of the 2007-08 season has officially fallen, so prepare for the onslaught of signings and trades that will now follow. Two teams in particular will be most affected by the Sixers' bold move, starting with the LA Clippers.

Do the Clippers now lose Baron Davis, who had reached a verbal agreement to join the team with the understanding that he would be playing alongside Brand. Now that Brand is gone, will the Clippers lose Davis, too? It's not a stretch to say Davis would back out of his verbal agreement with the Clips in favor of returning to the Warriors, who now have a better chance at being a playoff team than the Clips.

Do the Clippers test the Hawks' resolve and make a run at Josh Smith? Frankly, adding Smith would be even better than keeping Brand, and would absolutely keep Davis interested. Adding Smith alongside Davis would make the Clippers formidable, but nowhere close to the level of the new-look Sixers.

How tough will the East be next season? It doesn't get much tougher than a Sixers team that now includes Elton Brand, Andre Miller, Andre Iguodala, and a host of good, young talent. The Magic also greatly enhanced their roster today by agreeing to terms with Warriors free agent Mickael Pietrus.

It will be no easy task for the Celtics to repeat as Eastern Conference Champs . . .much less NBA Champs.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9402

Beno7500
07-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Baron is a ***** if he backs out.

stevefrancis
07-08-2008, 10:15 PM
he should leave but if he leaves is he an unrestricted free agent?

Master Mind
07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Technically he's still a unrestricted free agent, he only agreed verbally...

Master Mind
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM

With that being said, I think he backs out and signs elsewhere....

ruslan898
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Back to GS? lol

AllTheWay
07-08-2008, 10:27 PM
If the clips can get Smith davis should definatley keep his word.....

yboord028
07-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Well I like men of their word, So it would be a real dick move.

But this is the NBA and its all about where to go to win or get the most money. He will probably back out unless the Clippers do something else.

MGB
07-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Davis is (and should be) good as gone now... That team is gonna suck with or without him, so he should bolt.

Lincoln Logs
07-08-2008, 10:31 PM
At yboord:

Baron never was a man of his word. He told the Warriors he wouldn't opt out.

Anyway, LOL CLIPPERS!

ruslan898
07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
theyll sign Smith, and theyre going to be better off.

Conor
07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm not so sure I want Baron back on the Warriors. He's a snake for leaving us to go to the Clippers despite saying over and over that he would stay, and he'd be even more of a snake for backing out of this with the Clippers. Warriors need to move on, and the Clippers now are likely stuck with a whiny little ***** who'll produce well 50 games a year.

yboord028
07-08-2008, 10:33 PM
At yboord:

Baron never was a man of his word. He told the Warriors he wouldn't opt out.

Anyway, LOL CLIPPERS!

Well thats what I was saying, People in the NBA don't care about words its all the end deal.

cmellofan15
07-08-2008, 10:45 PM
baron shuld run while he can and go back 2 gs wit corey maggette

cmellofan15
07-08-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm not so sure I want Baron back on the Warriors. He's a snake for leaving us to go to the Clippers despite saying over and over that he would stay, and he'd be even more of a snake for backing out of this with the Clippers. Warriors need to move on, and the Clippers now are likely stuck with a whiny little ***** who'll produce well 50 games a year.

dude hes the best player theyve had in years 50 games isnt bad with umm biedrins and montae ellis baron davis is a great pg the lakers took kobe back after rape and they shuldnt take him back 4 dis???

daleja424
07-08-2008, 10:47 PM
poor clippers... They thought they were contenders... now the best player on their team is going to be "The Big German"

cmellofan15
07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
hahahahhaaha "german" they lost the 2 players they culd always depend on and the one player they thought they culd depend on

phillyphan4ever
07-08-2008, 10:52 PM
i would if i was him

DreamShaker
07-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty sure he's gonna be stuck in L.A.

clehmun
07-08-2008, 10:58 PM
"frankly" brand >> josh smith

cmellofan15
07-08-2008, 11:02 PM
"frankly" brand >> josh smith

yea but theyve lost him now so thats the best they can do

Conor
07-08-2008, 11:03 PM
dude hes the best player theyve had in years 50 games isnt bad with umm biedrins and montae ellis baron davis is a great pg the lakers took kobe back after rape and they shuldnt take him back 4 dis???

There's such a thing as pride.

good spliff
07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Hopefully Baron comes to his senses and returns to Golden State. He has a better shot at winning a title with the Warriors than he does with the Clippers. I don't really care with all the "character" bull. This is a game of sports, not social etiquette. I want to win, and win alone. With the new addition of Corey Maggette, the Warriors would instantly become playoff contenders.

PG: Baron Davis
SG: Monta Ellis
SF: Corey Maggette
PF: Stephen Jackson
CE: Andris Biedrins

cmellofan15
07-08-2008, 11:07 PM
There's such a thing as pride.

o yea but that doesnt really matter anymore n the nba lol

clehmun
07-08-2008, 11:08 PM
yea but theyve lost him now so thats the best they can do

well yea i know...
but the article said... adding smith will be even better than keeping brand, and i just don't agree with that.

clippers are getting screwed over big time.

with brand, davis, kaman, and the rest of their team, i'd put them top 5 or 6 team in the west.

BlondeBomber41
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
He cant go back to the Warriors. Him opting out was what allowed the Warriors to have money to sign Corey Maggette. They cant just now resign Baron Davis. Its the same reason why the Clips couldnt resign Maggette.

AgentViet
07-08-2008, 11:10 PM
He should, the Clippers need to rebuild, giving B-Didd a 65M long contract isn't the way to do that. Where would he go though? Didn't the Warriors already renounce his rights?

bball1217
07-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Hopefully Baron comes to his senses and returns to Golden State. He has a better shot at winning a title with the Warriors than he does with the Clippers. I don't really care with all the "character" bull. This is a game of sports, not social etiquette. I want to win, and win alone. With the new addition of Corey Maggette, the Warriors would instantly become playoff contenders.

Do the Warriors even have the money to offer baron, ellis, and biedrins contracts that they would all accept? Unless they get rid of harrington's contract, but does anyone know about this situation.

Ragun
07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I hope he doesnt.

still1ballin
07-08-2008, 11:21 PM
he should come to the lakers, not move far

WeDaBest
07-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I didn't know it was only agreed upon verbally so far. If I were him, I would definitely sign elsewhere. Even if they got Smith, which is unlikely considering how terrible a GM Baylor is, they would still be lacking at major holes at SG, PF, and bench. I mean... they already have Thornton. I would just go to the Lakers for the MLE if I were Davis.

good spliff
07-08-2008, 11:24 PM
The Warriors have plenty of money for Ellis, Biedrins, and Baron.

JordansBulls
07-08-2008, 11:25 PM

Who has the money to sign him or where would he go to make a team contenders?

Maybe New Jersey???

Conor
07-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Classic delusional Laker fans thinking a star will sign with them for the MLE. :laugh:

BDAWK11
07-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Baron
Ellis
Maggette
?
Biedrins

Thats a nice team

QuaLiThADoN
07-08-2008, 11:28 PM
davis was quoted saying it was time to go back home he'll go to LA

good spliff
Baron
Ellis
Maggette
?
Biedrins

Thats a nice team

Plug in Stephen Jackson, who had a career year, and is the Co-Captain of the Warriors with Baron being captain.

That is if he returns.

Chronz
I wouldnt blame him if he left LA

Who has the money to sign him or where would he go to make a team contenders?

Maybe New Jersey???

Nets dont have the money

dre1990
he should do this

good spliff
07-08-2008, 11:29 PM
davis was quoted saying it was time to go back home he'll go to LA

Davis was quoted in saying he will not opt out: anything is possible.

Master Mind
07-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Davis was quoted in saying he will not opt out: anything is possible.

I think that was KG :laugh2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjOy7fRzs0

Allabouthephils
07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
you guys are funny... Elton Brand is not a snake... Neither is Baron Davis... It's the economics of the business... You can't fault a guy for doing something that you, me nor the 99.9999 % of the rest of us can understand... They're dealing with more money than any of us will ever fathom so it's not easy to decide where to play... The market, the players, the coaches, the style among a million other factors go into it and it all revolves around money as it should for the betterment of the economy of basketball... Not just loyalty to their team... That is probably the last thing on their mind to be frank... These guys are human... They aren't snakes... That's halarious...

The game of free agency is a game of chess between the owners, gms, players and agents... Elton didn't get what he wanted and really Baron isn't going to either at this point... The Clips didn't pay him a max contract so he bolted... He was never going to play for the Warriors, he just used them as a pawn to get to the Clippers... Would you take a job that offered you millions of dollars a year more if it meant moving across the country ??? I certainly would...

kylem4711
07-09-2008, 12:48 AM
you guys are funny... Elton Brand is not a snake... Neither is Baron Davis... It's the economics of the business... You can't fault a guy for doing something that you, me nor the 99.9999 % of the rest of us can understand... They're dealing with more money than any of us will ever fathom so it's not easy to decide where to play... The market, the players, the coaches, the style among a million other factors go into it and it all revolves around money as it should for the betterment of the economy of basketball... Not just loyalty to their team... That is probably the last thing on their mind to be frank... These guys are human... They aren't snakes... That's halarious...

The game of free agency is a game of chess between the owners, gms, players and agents... Elton didn't get what he wanted and really Baron isn't going to either at this point... The Clips didn't pay him a max contract so he bolted... He was never going to play for the Warriors, he just used them as a pawn to get to the Clippers... Would you take a job that offered you millions of dollars a year more if it meant moving across the country ??? I certainly would...

everyone understands what money is bud.

what people are mad at is the fact that brand used to be a stand up guy. his word used to mean something. it is totally understandable to opt out and go for the money, it is not understandable to tell a team you will sign for less money if they sign a good player and then just leave.

clehmun
07-09-2008, 12:50 AM

bingo... everyone who's calling brand out needs to realize it isn't an easy decision to make.
i certainly am NOT trying to offend anyone. but most likely, fans who are unhappy with him are clipper fans (understandable), or people who are still in highschool, and has never been exposed in the real materialistic world.

if you're in mcdonalds working for $8 bucks an hour, and your good friend decides to join you, but tim hortons offer you a manager spot and $15 an hour, would you really say no and rather stay with your friend? especially if you have a family to support?

it's business. this will probably be brand's last big contract. and this money will probably have to take care the rest of his life, or his children's future.

everyone who's unhappy with brand needs to realize this. there have been lots of threads in the past few months in this forum about how nba players going broke after leaving the nba. and i never saw anyone saying they feel sorry for those players (and you're right, i don't feel sorry for them too). but if you're here making jokes about players going broke and not sympathsize those players, why are you complaining when they're going for more money?
at the end of the day, if that player goes broke, you're not going to feed him. then why call them out on their financial situation?

and don't give me that "oh they make millions of dollars anyway" argument.
it just doesn't work. put yourself in their shoes, most of you would want to make more money as well.
to a lot of people (students, less educated people, or etc), making 50K a year is big money already. so does that mean if you're making 50K now, you shouldn't aim for more?

but if he is leaving, i do feel bad for clipper fans. and i guess clipper fans do have a exception to be unhappy with brand.
but if you're just a normal nba fan who's calling brand out because hes taking more money, then i don't agree with you.

KnickVeteran
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Baron wouldn't be wrong in my eyes. He signed with the clippers and took a pay cut with the belief and assurance from management and Elton that he would stay with Clippers. If Baron backs out, then he backs out. Elton is a real creep for that.

Truth
07-09-2008, 01:01 AM
but Brand isn't like the person who makes $8/hr. He already has the potential to make $15/ hr but basically tells his friend he'd stay at McDonalds and take less money if his friend comes and work with him. That's not business, that's being a snake. If it is really all about money, though, didn't GS offer him $90 mil? I think Clippers fan and anyone else have every right to call him a snake.

TheBatchelor213
07-09-2008, 02:32 AM
I am a die hard Clipper fan, I would like to have Baron but if he decided to go elsewhere I could not be mad because he signed with the intent of playing with Brand and he took less money. Brand is who disappoints me, he gave his word and backed out, I thought he was different, the Clippers probably would have struggled to be a 6 or 7 seed given the freakishly beastly nature of the West but if he thinks he is going to do any better in the East, think again. If that is how he rolls I am glad he left. He is an above average, fundamentally sound player who borders on the boring side e.g. Tim Duncan. Difference is, Duncan wins championships, Brand does not. Go to the 76ers, get to the 2nd round of the playoffs, maybe even the eastern semis and get bounced out every year you aren't going to win crap Brand. Iggy and Young and very good players and will be for a while, but that team is not built to win championships. As it stands now the Celts are better, Magic, Cavs who I cannot stand and even the Pistons.

myspace.com/thebatchelorspe

be on the look out for my Elton Brand diss track!

I hope you bomb/just like your movie Rescue Dawn/now you can go back and where your buddy Andre Miller's zebra colored thong/

zambo4president
07-09-2008, 04:09 AM
he sure as hell shud get outta there, he aint got nuthin in LA

lavis
07-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Well I like men.

Nice. I like women.

Mallpha
07-09-2008, 06:36 AM
He will sign with Clippers becouse no one else will give him so much money and there arent many players that value winning over money. Probobly he will be more concentratred on making movies than plaing basketball

BlondeBomber41
07-09-2008, 06:52 AM
BARON DAVIS CAN NOT RETURN TO THE WARRIORS. THE MONEY THAT BECAME AVAILABLE WHEN HE OPTED OUT WAS THE MONEY USED ON COREY MAGGETTE, THEREFORE IT IS GONE. UNLESS DAVIS IS GOING TO PLAY FOR FOR ALOT LESS, THEN THERE IS NO WAY HE RETURNS GO THE WARRIORS.

Figured I needed to capitalize it, and even then 90% of the posters will still say "he should return to the Warriors"

TMAC94
07-09-2008, 07:10 AM
maybe if his on his own he might

TMAC94
07-09-2008, 07:11 AM
BARON DAVIS CAN NOT RETURN TO THE WARRIORS. THE MONEY THAT BECAME AVAILABLE WHEN HE OPTED OUT WAS THE MONEY USED ON COREY MAGGETTE, THEREFORE IT IS GONE. UNLESS DAVIS IS GOING TO PLAY FOR FOR ALOT LESS, THEN THERE IS NO WAY HE RETURNS GO THE WARRIORS.

Figured I needed to capitalize it, and even then 90% of the posters will still say "he should return to the Warriors"

they used 6 mil for maggette which is the MLE, didnt they?

clehmun
07-09-2008, 07:21 AM

maggette was signed for 50 million dollars for 5 years.

TMAC94
07-09-2008, 08:01 AM
maggette was signed for 50 million dollars for 5 years.

woops my bad, someone sed on warriors forum that he took 6mil

SHONIE
07-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Sadly, he probably will.

theimortalone
07-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Yeah he will want out by mid season. he came to LA thinking he would at least have maggette or brand now has neither!

HoopsMachine
07-09-2008, 09:00 AM
If the clips can get Smith davis should definatley keep his word.....

I like their chances of grabbing Smith if they offer him max or close to max money ... Atl still under dispute with ownership would unlikely match an offer like that. Then again I could be wrong.

dodie53
07-09-2008, 09:46 AM
baron will sign elsewhere

_Sn1P3r_
07-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Baron is most likely gone. It's funny how Baron was confident Brand was coming back to the Clippers but then turned around and agreed to sign with Philly.

jayp420
07-09-2008, 10:09 AM

stephen jackson as the 4???

jayp420
07-09-2008, 10:12 AM

maggette got 5 years 50 mill..

chicagowhitesox
07-09-2008, 12:49 PM
That sucks to be a Clips fan. You were so close to being a Finals contender, and then Baron might jump ship and you're a more garbage team than you were to begin with.

ArtVandelay
07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
If B. Diddy does a 180 on the clips ala Elton Brand....where is the most logical destination for him? Baron can obviously boost a lot of teams into playoff/title contention, so which teams can afford him, and where do you think he wants to go most?

Beasley'sBeauty
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
I would if I was Barron, cause he's 30 and the Clips are a young team with no direction, playing in the West-50 games won and GS still didn't make the playoffs. He should re-evlauate what he wants to do, cause if he stays he's going to be very unhappy.

I think the Clippers franchise has the worst curse in all of professional sports.

solelimited
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
if he doesn't sign with the clippers where can he go? contenders only have MLE...

_Supreme_
07-09-2008, 04:26 PM
if he doesn't sign with the clippers where can he go? contenders only have MLE...

He can sign with Philly for the veteran's minimum :smoking:

*Superman*
07-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Who cares, their screwed anyways.

solelimited
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
He can sign with Philly for the veteran's minimum :smoking:

im trying to sound like another laker guy, but if had to sign for MLE he would go to the lakers. He wants to play in LA.

ThaBoomer
07-09-2008, 07:14 PM
ESPN is reporting that Baron is still going to honor his verbal agreement and sign with the Clippers. Everything that is being said here is pure speculation. Baron is not going back to the Warriors, and he definitely won't sign a MLE somewhere. Get real.

THE_FLASH_21
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Baron shouldn't be held responsible... The Clippers didn't keep their word to Davis... so why should he keep his word??? And as for Brand.. Brand has the right to do w/e he wants!!! Doesn't he deserve to win???

Allabouthephils
07-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Baron shouldn't be held responsible... The Clippers didn't keep their word to Davis... so why should he keep his word??? And as for Brand.. Brand has the right to do w/e he wants!!! Doesn't he deserve to win???

He has the right to "say" whatever he wants to get the most money he wants... It's a game through the media and the gm's... he tried to play the clips for a max contract and they didn't budge... He bolted... Brand has every right to do that... Just because most people eat every little piece of garbage the media spoon feeds them doesn't mean that Brand should be held accountable... He has every right to make his money and go wherever he pleases....

masalex1205
07-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Davis is G-O-N-E

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
He probably wont back out.. He went back to where he grew up, can focus on directing movies now. IMO he does not care about winning so much...

If he does back out, I will welcome him back to the dubs with open arms since hes top 5 pg in the nba

solelimited
07-09-2008, 10:14 PM
all this talk about davis backing out. Is there any reason the clippers are still going to sign him? Is he gonna help them that much in ticket sales or something?

ra8erfan111
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Baron will stay in L.A., he has been dreaming of playing in Los Angeles-his hometown. They can be a playoff team if the younger guys can get off to a good start.

Ballstar1982
07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Reason 1 (http://ballstar1982.blogspot.com/2008/07/real-los-angeles-clippers-return.html), and Reason 2 (http://ballstar1982.blogspot.com/2008/07/baron-davis-is-damn-fool.html) that the the Clippers and Baron Davis lost in this one. The Clips look bad for not planning ahead. I think baron is a fool for signing with a team with so much uncertainty, and he looks bad if he backs out at this point. Not a Clippers fan but I hate to see them fall apart like this. Thank god for an interesting offseason.