PDA

View Full Version : What Happens if an AL Player is Voted Into the ASG and then Traded to the NL?

CubsGirl
07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
This question came up in the Cubs forum discussing Harden/Sabathia (however, neither of them are all-stars)

What would happen if an AL player was elected to the game and then traded to the NL (or vice versa)?

Here's the only thing I found on Google, but even then it doesn't really answer the question:

Jeff Shaw elected to all star team as a Red and got traded to the Dodgers before the game and played the game as a Dodger. That doesn't answer the question about changing leagues though.

I'm looking for someone who could come up with facts, not guesses, because you could legitimately guess any of the options that it seems are available.

-You could argue that he doesn't get to play in the game, even though that's completely unfair to the player.
-You could argue that they play for their original league because that's where the roster spot is and that's who they were elected to represent.
-You could argue that they play for their new league because it would be a little sketchy to have them play for a team/league that they're not on anymore, with the possibility of throwing the game, etc.

Can anyone find anything on this?

mawp
07-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Can't find anything in stone.

I'm guessing he loses his spot when traded from one league to another, and only could be added by the manager of the new league.

I don't recall in recent memory any such occurrences happening, because teams usually wait until the 30th/31st to move guys.

CubsGirl
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM

I'm guessing he loses his spot when traded from one league to another, and only could be added by the manager of the new league.

I don't recall in recent memory any such occurrences happening, because teams usually wait until the 30th/31st to move guys.
So far that seems like the option that makes the most sense, but it's a bull**** move to the player himself because he gets ****ed out of a really cool "bragging right." Plus it leaves an empty roster spot on the AL team (not that that really matters since there are so many players).

Kirel
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM

I wanna say something was up when Beltran was traded from KC to Houston. Maybe it was a voting thing(did they not count votes across leagues maybe?)

I'm pretty sure the player simply gets the allstar credit but doesn't actulaly get to play(not a bad thing for a Harden).

-Lavigne43-
07-08-2008, 10:27 PM
They probably just don't play. They can't play for the NL because that roster is already full

Tragedy
07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Carlos Beltran.

He was a member of the KC Royals. He was elected to the AL All Star squad. He was, before the ASG, traded to the Houston Astros. He ended up representing the NL/Astros in the game.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Well, he can't represent the AL.. I mean, with the Cubs being most likely contenders for the world series, wouldn't that suck to help the AL get home field :P

zambo4president
07-09-2008, 05:32 AM
yeah this happend with carlos beltran awhile ago

Aapox
07-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Just ask Carrie Musket on cubs.com

Just make sure that's the ONLY question you ask, or else she will likely give you a response which answers the least important of your questions.

redwhiteandblue
07-09-2008, 12:01 PM
This happened a few years back in the NHL, except it's obviously handled different because you're AS game deciphers home-field advantage. Sandis Ozolinsh was playing for, I believe, the Anaheim Ducks. He was selected into the AS game and mere days, I actually think the day before the first AS break day off, he was traded to the NY Rangers. From the West to teh East. Ozolinsh was allowed to represent the West and play where he was voted in. The kicker too is where he had been playing the last few years (Anaheim) is where the AS game was being held. Musta been a little wierd, but cool, your last game infront of your fans was representing the city in an AS game.

2gunzblazin
07-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I think that they just represent their new team because I dont seem to remember Beltran playin in the all star game after being traded from royals to astros.

Aapox
07-09-2008, 12:59 PM
This happened a few years back in the NHL, except it's obviously handled different because you're AS game deciphers home-field advantage. Sandis Ozolinsh was playing for, I believe, the Anaheim Ducks. He was selected into the AS game and mere days, I actually think the day before the first AS break day off, he was traded to the NY Rangers. From the West to teh East. Ozolinsh was allowed to represent the West and play where he was voted in. The kicker too is where he had been playing the last few years (Anaheim) is where the AS game was being held. Musta been a little wierd, but cool, your last game infront of your fans was representing the city in an AS game.

Cool story, thanks for posting.

07MVPPatBurrell
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
beltran

blams
07-09-2008, 02:36 PM
there is no helping b/c the al doesnt need help as it basically already won the as game.

but, if you are elected, you play as your current team.

carl everett, white sox.

CubsGirl
07-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Carlos Beltran.

He was a member of the KC Royals. He was elected to the AL All Star squad. He was, before the ASG, traded to the Houston Astros. He ended up representing the NL/Astros in the game.
Nice job!

More info:

While still a Royal, Beltrán had been selected to the American League starting outfield for the 2004 All-Star Game. After the trade to the National League, he was initially denied a place in the game. However, after NL starter Ken Griffey, Jr. went on the disabled list, Beltrán was named his substitute. Beltrán became the first player ever to be selected for one All-Star team but play for the other.

I wonder what happened to his roster spot on the AL team then.

Reezy
07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I wonder what happened to his roster spot on the AL team then.
I'm sure they would do the same thing nearly every other sports All-Star team would do. Find a different player to replace him.

scottyc04901
07-10-2008, 11:12 PM
This question came up in the Cubs forum discussing Harden/Sabathia (however, neither of them are all-stars)

What would happen if an AL player was elected to the game and then traded to the NL (or vice versa)?

Here's the only thing I found on Google, but even then it doesn't really answer the question:

I'm looking for someone who could come up with facts, not guesses, because you could legitimately guess any of the options that it seems are available.

-You could argue that he doesn't get to play in the game, even though that's completely unfair to the player.
-You could argue that they play for their original league because that's where the roster spot is and that's who they were elected to represent.
-You could argue that they play for their new league because it would be a little sketchy to have them play for a team/league that they're not on anymore, with the possibility of throwing the game, etc.

Can anyone find anything on this?

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040704&content_id=789224&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp&c_id=null

Cubsjunkie
07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
there is no helping b/c the al doesnt need help as it basically already won the as game.

but, if you are elected, you play as your current team.

carl everett, white sox.

Really? What was the score?

Poncho_707
07-11-2008, 01:03 AM
remember when beltran was traded to the astros..he was an allstar from KC? and then he got to play on the NL team

dmb
07-12-2008, 02:36 AM
The manager on the traded to team has the option to play him or not, however he will still be known as an all-star and he will lose his spot ultimately in his former league to another choice of manager position.

FriarFanatic
07-12-2008, 10:51 AM
good thread but i have no idea