PDA

View Full Version : Corey Maggette has deal with the Warriors

Dragon510
07-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Corey Maggette reached agreement to join the Golden State Warriors in a five-year deal worth about $50 million, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about player movements. Maggette also opted out of the last year of his Clippers contract last week.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers9-2008jul09,0,7626268.story

IamTurboman
07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
According to that article the 76ers got Brand, and we settled with Maggette. What does this mean for Stack Jack?
Does that mean he is going to get traded or does that mean Maggette or more likely Stack Jack will play the 2.

Jimmy3702
07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
PG: Monta Ellis
SG: Corey Maggette
SF: Stephen Jackson
PF: Brandan Wright
C: Andres Biedrins

Maggette can score and will replace Pietrus

CB30
07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Maybe Harrington is on the move for a true PG. That could make a lineup of

PG in a trade
Monta
Maggette
Jackson?
Biedrins

maybe? Only time will tell

Thatruth32
07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
wtf better not be 10 mill espn was saying somewere around 6

MYWARRIORS
07-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Maybe Harrington is on the move for a true PG. That could make a lineup of

PG in a trade
Monta
Maggette
Jackson?
Biedrins

maybe? Only time will tell

Kirk Hinrich :) Heard rummors :clap:

650giants
07-08-2008, 09:35 PM

Monta Ellis is a long way from being a true point gaurd, that would not be a good lineup. We need to trade for a pg or CJ Watson will be our starter monta will not Start at PG this year I garuntee that

Mister Mitty
07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Bad reactionary move by the Ws. The guy's never won anything in his life and doesn't like to play D. I'd rather have spent the money Josh Smith or even Okafor.

New lineup:

Ellis
Jackson
Maggette
Harrington
Biedrins

Thatruth32
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Bad reactionary move by the Ws. The guy's never won anything in his life and doesn't like to play D. I'd rather have spent the money Josh Smith or even Okafor.

New lineup:

Ellis
Jackson
Maggette
Harrington
Biedrins

i agree dont like tha move however i dont see harington on the team let alone as a starter

Tmac416
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM

New lineup:

Ellis
Jackson
Maggette
Harrington
Biedrins

exactly. he doesnt have enough drivling skills to be a 2 and everything says that his defense is average at best. i really wish they would have saved the cash

Dragon510
07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Now Steven A Smith at ESPN is saying Baron may back out of his verbal with the Clips now that Brand is gone and has recently contacted the Warriors for contract options.

IamTurboman
07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Now Steven A Smith at ESPN is saying Baron may back out of his verbal with the Clips now that Brand is gone and has recently contacted the Warriors for contract options.
That means he wants a sign and trade! There is no way we would take him back!

Go Dodgers!
07-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I like the move for the Warriors..

Kdirt
07-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Maggette was the last guy I was hoping we would land, but atleast its something. Without a doubt we will still score in bunches next year with Maggette. Very similar production to what J-Rich provided us, not a great defender, but gets to the line alot and knocks down free throws, and our free throws hurt us a bit last year. What can we do if Brand didnt want to come here?? Atleast we tried. Im a bit confused on if we get a new point guard which I expect then how are we gonna start all these guys? Please dont waste production out of Monta and have him run point. Looks like small ball once again with Jackson at PF if anything.

PG
Monta
Jack/Maggette
Wright/Harrington
Biedrins

Kdirt
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM

HAHA I love it! If we get Baron back then what a spit in the face for the Clippers. Im still all for B-Diddy comin back to the Bay.

EBfan!123
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM

What! I'd take BD back if he took a pay cut.

Mister Mitty
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM

If that's the case, don't sign Maggete and give BD the 5 years/50 mil

Lincoln Logs
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
If its 5 year at 6 or 7 mil like espn is reporting, then I love the move. If its 10mil, Mullin is a ****ing idiot. He can deffinatly score, but he's almost as injury prone as Baron, and hates defense. Since we were the highest scoring team, I doubt we need more of the same, and at a 10 mil contract :speechless:

Anyway, I see the lineup being

PG - Monta - I don't like it either, but he's at least going to get a shot
SG - Maggette/Belinelli/
SF - Jackson/Randolph/Harrington
PF - Wright/Hendrix/Harrington(NEEDS TO BE TRADED!)
C - Biedrins/Perovic

If we can get a bench behind this team, and Monta can make the transition, the Warriors are back in at least the playoff race. However, as I said before, we don't really need more scoring. But hey, we got rid of a high scorer in Baron, and have now added another.

I like Belinelli becoming a 6th man :nod:

And I'm all for Baron coming back for a 3 year deal at most, and of course, a now needed paycut. Then I see Maggette becoming the 6th man, but I don't know if he'll like that. And Belinelli's been promised more minutes. It's wierd, all Maggette's signing has done is create more questions!

big game hunter
07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
magette your kidding me I hate the move....what are they thinking hello give josh smith a call please. next your telling me harrington is moving to the point. I can't pretend I did not expect this...this is life as a warrior fan.......

Tmac416
07-08-2008, 10:13 PM
the hawks want smith and he wasnt gonna sign for 6 or 7 mill cuz the hawks would match.

big game hunter
07-08-2008, 10:13 PM
message for nellie and mullin......thank you very little and your welcome even less

djeller1139
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
If Maggette Signs, and Baron backs out and signs with the Warriors, then we need to trade Jackson and Harrington, but to whom?

Davis
Ellis/Bellinelli
Maggette/Randolph
(PG from Harrington and/or SJ)/Wright/Hendrix
Biedrins

Conor
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
I love Maggette personally, I think he's a great fit. Now we have two guards who can attack the rim ferociously, in both him and Monta. If we trade Harrington for Hinrich, then we've got Hinrich/Monta/Maggette/Jackson/Biedrins. If Harrington can handle the 4 in our system, so can Jackson or Maggette. There's also always the possibillity of landing Josh Smith or Emeka Okafor soon, so we could see Jackson or Maggette coming off the bench.

jmethlo
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
The clippers made the playoffs in 2006. The Los Angeles Clippers were one of the playoffs' biggest surprises in 2006, as they not only made the playoffs for the first time since 1997 but they advanced to the second round for the first time since 1976, when they were the Buffalo Braves. They came within one game of making it to the conference finals for the first time ever, but lost Game 7 to the Phoenix Suns.

Tmac416
07-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I love Maggette personally, I think he's a great fit. Now we have two guards who can attack the rim ferociously, in both him and Monta. If we trade Harrington for Hinrich, then we've got Hinrich/Monta/Maggette/Jackson/Biedrins. If Harrington can handle the 4 in our system, so can Jackson or Maggette. There's also always the possibillity of landing Josh Smith or Emeka Okafor soon, so we could see Jackson or Maggette coming off the bench.

connor that is the craziest thing i have read form you. Maggette is an average defender and is defintly not gonna be playing PF. Jackson can play for little spurts there but not a whole season let alone a whole game. Jackson will never be coming off the bench unless we want a complete mess on our hands. Magette is used to coming fof the bench. I dont think magette can handle the ball well enough to be the 2 but well see. I jsut heard marc stein say than every contender that you can think of threw the full midlevel at maggette so he is thought of highly. i need to think more. all i know is maggette will never play power forward ans stephen jackson wont be starting there

Lincoln Logs
07-08-2008, 10:35 PM
connor that is the craziest thing i have read form you. Maggette is an average defender and is defintly not gonna be playing PF. Jackson can play for little spurts there but not a whole season let alone a whole game. Jackson will never be coming off the bench unless we want a complete mess on our hands. Magette is used to coming of the bench. I dont think magette can handle the ball well enough to be the 2 but well see. I jsut heard marc stein say than every contender that you can think of threw the full midlevel at maggette so he is thought of highly. i need to think more. all i know is maggette will never play power forward ans stephen jackson wont be starting there

I read that Maggette wanted to become the number 1 or 2 scoring option on a team, so I don't think he'll want to be on the bench anymore. I want to know the Contract Numbers! Lots of questions brought on by this.

deuce deuce
07-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Sources told ESPN.com that Maggette decided against waiting to see if the Los Angeles Clippers would lose Brand to the Philadelphia 76ers -- which could have created an opportunity to stay with the Clippers -- to take a multiyear offer from the Warriors at a starting salary above the mid-level exception, which is expected to approach $6 million.

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3479117)

I don't know where everyone is getting this 5 years, $50 million figure from...

Conor
07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
connor that is the craziest thing i have read form you. Maggette is an average defender and is defintly not gonna be playing PF. Jackson can play for little spurts there but not a whole season let alone a whole game. Jackson will never be coming off the bench unless we want a complete mess on our hands. Magette is used to coming fof the bench. I dont think magette can handle the ball well enough to be the 2 but well see. I jsut heard marc stein say than every contender that you can think of threw the full midlevel at maggette so he is thought of highly. i need to think more. all i know is maggette will never play power forward ans stephen jackson wont be starting there

In Nellieball, why not? He certainly doesn't lack for muscle or the ability to get to the basket. Defensively he's a liability, but between Stephen Jackson and Biedrins he'll do fine.

Who knows though, maybe our PF will turn out to be Josh Smith. We haven't heard anything about the Warriors pursuing him, but assuming Mullin didn't completely overpay for Maggette we would have sufficient cap space to make a run at him. We've made offers to the 4 most high profile UFAs this offseason, so I wouldn't be shocked if we made one to 2 of the most high profile RFAs (Smith and Monta).

Conor
07-08-2008, 10:38 PM

The language is a bit confusing, because the MLE is supposed to be a little bit below 6 million. So they might be referring to the MLE's value, not the contract that the Warriors offered. I have no idea where the 10 million per is coming from either though.

R.Miller
07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
OMFG haha EB screwed the clips, lmao. But moving on, i like use signing maggette, he is a more consistent Jason Richardson. Hes gonna give good d and a good 20 and 5. But i dont know if that was worth 50 mil.

I just cant stop laughin about how Brand screwed Baron lmao, Karmas a *****. :D:D:D

I seriously doubt davis will sign with clips now.

djeller1139
07-08-2008, 10:46 PM
What if next Brand opted out of his contract with the Sixers, and signed with the Warriors...

Davis
Ellis
Maggette
Brand
Biedrins
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:: drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::d rool:
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:: drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::d rool:

Jaytick
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Maggette can score and will replace Pietrus

That is actually an OK lineup but switch Maggette to the 3 and Stack Jack to the 2.

Last year Stack was bringing the ball up at times. He can help Monta when he gets in trouble and then he can guard the bigger of the 2 guards on the floor. We still need a reliable backup PG.

How about getting Luke Ridnour or Shaun Livingston as a backup?

What do you think?

djeller1139
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM
BTW I know it won't happen just dreaming..

Lincoln Logs
07-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Im still hoping they sign livingston. and ahaha dj. If only.

Conor
07-08-2008, 10:54 PM
That is actually an OK lineup but switch Maggette to the 3 and Stack Jack to the 2.

Last year Stack was bringing the ball up at times. He can help Monta when he gets in trouble and then he can guard the bigger of the 2 guards on the floor. We still need a reliable backup PG.

How about getting Luke Ridnour or Shaun Livingston as a backup?

What do you think?

Jackson is a horrible ball handler, putting him as part time PG would be disastrous. I like Ridnour and I see him as a very nice fit for this team if he gets back to 2006-2007 form, although his contract is a tad bit bloated for a backup/platoon PG.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-08-2008, 11:04 PM
IMO I dont think ellis is a point. I hope he surprises me though... I hope its not a 10 mil a yr contract for maggette.. he just wanted above the mid level.. but we'll see when the numbers actually come out.

Thatruth32
07-08-2008, 11:10 PM

what espn is saying the offer would have to be at least 6 mil because thats the mid level... i hoping for like 7 8 mil and i like it if we paid 10 for maggette then its bull **** one thing i do like is how he can take it to tha whole and hit his FTS...

hopefully we get someone else... i doubt baron is coming back not even sure if we would take him

Thatruth32
07-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Im still hoping they sign livingston. and ahaha dj. If only.

is he an unrestricted fa?

Lincoln Logs
07-08-2008, 11:13 PM
is he an unrestricted fa?

Yep clips released him

gswarriors09
07-08-2008, 11:22 PM
i think we should have traded al harrington for kirk hinrich. since monta isn't a pure point. i feel that he will do better at the 2 then at the 1. we should of also signed josh smith instead of maggette.our lineup coulda looked like this.
kirk hinrich PG
monta ellis SG
stephen jackson SF
josh smith PF
andris biedrins C

Conor
07-08-2008, 11:24 PM
We can still to trade Big Al for Kirk, which I hope we do as well. And we might be able to sign Smith but we'd have to renounce the rights to a few of our players.

Lincoln Logs
07-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I'd rather not renounce the bird rights to Monta or Biedrins to try and get the shot to sign Smith.

Conor
07-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Nor would I....I haven't run the numbers, but there might be an outside shot we can keep the rights to Monta and Biedrins, and only renounce guys like Matt Barnes, Kosta Perovic, Patrick O'Bryant, etc.

Lincoln Logs
07-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Well if the hawks want to be stingy, we MIGHT be able to out bid them if that's true. However, I doubt we'd be able to outbid the clippers for him now.

Thatruth32
07-08-2008, 11:30 PM
im just waiting till 9 pm to see how much this foo got if its 10 mil im gonna be pissed

gswarriors09
07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
isn't tommorow the day when teams can officially announce signings?if they annnounce maggette we prolly might not get kirk hinrich since maggette is gonna play the 2 and monta playing the 1.

GWarrior
07-08-2008, 11:35 PM
there is a site that is saying that is a multi-year deal, with the first year to be above the MLE that would be 6M.

With Elton Brand reportedly headed to Philadelphia, the Warriors have swooped in and agreed to a deal with Corey Maggette, according to ESPN.com.

The contract is rumored to be a multiyear offer at with a starting salary above the mid-level exception, which is expected to approach $6 million.

A number of teams where interested in Maggette's services this summer.

www.******.com/src_wiretap_archives/53458/20080708/warriors_agree_to_terms_with_maggette/

GWarrior
07-08-2008, 11:37 PM
i cant post the correct link. when ever i type "www.real gm.com" (without the space), the text get *****

Conor
07-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Sorry GWarrior, that site is censored on PSD due to spam issues. See if there are other sites with the same news. And I believe they are referring to the MLE starting at a salary approaching 6 million, not his contract.

Bosh=nextKG
07-08-2008, 11:38 PM
isn't tommorow the day when teams can officially announce signings?if they annnounce maggette we prolly might not get kirk hinrich since maggette is gonna play the 2 and monta playing the 1.

You are indeed wrong, Maggette can't handle the ball to be a two. Also we don't want Monta playing the point. We could have signed Kobe and yet still put him at the 3 to put monta at the 2 and trade harrington for a pg. Monta isn't a pg. thats the end of it. We need a pg whose isn't always injured and a dude who will give us 100% day in and day out(pretty much anyone except baron davis.)

P.S. I hope the 10 mill per year deal for Maggette is untrue, Yahoo says 10 a year but espn says less. I wanna sign Josh Smith still!!!

Conor
07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
The luxury tax threshold is just below 72 million, so I'd say that's around where Cohan would limit Mullin's signing budget. Now I'm not exactly sure how renouncing rights works, but if it has to do with the previous year's salary, we won't have to renounce Monta and Biedrins seeing as they combined for just over 3 million last year. So if Maggette did sign for 10 million per, we're looking at about 45 million committed with the guys under contract and the roughly 4 million committed to keeping the rights of Azubuike, Monta, and Biedrins. That leaves us with about 27 million to spend between Monta, Biedrins, Smith, and possibly Azubuike. Monta wants about 10 million, and to lure Smith away we'll have to offer double digits as well. So it all depends on whether we can get Biedrins for a starting salary around 7 million.

Now if I'm misunderstanding why teams have to renounce rights, then someone please correct me.

deuce deuce
07-08-2008, 11:48 PM
First "official" word of the supposed $50 million deal:

The Golden State Warriors will sign high-scoring free agent Corey Maggette to a five-year contract worth around $50 million, a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal canít be announced until Wednesday at the earliest, confirmed Maggette will leave the Los Angeles Clippers for a lucrative long-term deal with the fast-paced Warriors, who outbid several suitors for the former Duke star.

Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av25aWjeL3uGLwWP7NXsMz45nYcB?slug=ap-warriors-maggette&prov=ap&type=lgns)

gswarriors09
07-08-2008, 11:49 PM
if we only have 27M for ellis,biedrins,and possilbly josh smith.we prolly not gonna get smith cause with brand gone from the clippers leaves them up with some extra money. so were gonna get out bidded.

QuaLiThADoN
07-08-2008, 11:51 PM
pray he stays healthy

GWarrior
07-08-2008, 11:52 PM
the mercury news also reports 5y deal for $50M.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingsports/ci_9822152?nclick_check=1

gswarriors09
07-08-2008, 11:54 PM
signing kobe that will never happen

Lincoln Logs
07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Ah damnit not what I wanted to here. 5 more minutes.

djeller1139
07-08-2008, 11:57 PM
If Davis doesn't come running back or we don't resign him after his betrayal, do we get Josh Smith? Then trade Al and/or SJ for a PG? Thats my vote if we don't get BD back.

Lincoln Logs
07-09-2008, 12:05 AM
^ Look at Conor's post, there's hardly any chance we could sign Smith, and probably even Davis if we retain Monta and Biedrins Bird Rights. :(

Conor
07-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Yeah, apparently there's something called "capholds" which give a player's salary value before they sign that determines whether a team has to renounce them to make a certain offer to another player. Ellis' caphold is cheap at 1.5 million, but Biedrins' isn't nearly as cheap. So Smith is pretty much an impossibillity now, although we definitely could land a solid role playing big man. The question is, who's out there?

gswarriors09
07-09-2008, 12:09 AM
if we didnt sign maggette.mabey we would have had a chance at smith. that rat better not get freakin 10M a year.

IamTurboman
07-09-2008, 12:10 AM
If we had 27 mil of cap and sign Maggette for 10 mill a year then we should still have 17 mil right? Andris and Monta could still be signed after that.

Maggette under Nelson could be really fun!!!!

IamTurboman
07-09-2008, 12:12 AM
if we didnt sign maggette.mabey we would have had a chance at smith. that rat better not get freakin 10M a year.He was the best available player! We were never going to get Smith!

Lincoln Logs
07-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Turboman we have 27 mil left with Maggette signed I believe. More than enough hopefully for Monta and Biedrens

Conor
07-09-2008, 12:16 AM
27 left until the luxury tax kicks in, which Cohan doesn't want to pay. 15 left in actual cap space, but we can go over with Monta and Biedrins. But if we want to sign an open market guy, it likely has to be before Monta and Biedrins.

Mister Mitty
07-09-2008, 12:30 AM
All I hope is that Maggete and re-signing Monta and Biedrins (and that's not even guaranteed) is all we get. We just traded Baron for Maggete.

danbuc0101
07-09-2008, 12:30 AM
HAHA I love it! If we get Baron back then what a spit in the face for the Clippers. Im still all for B-Diddy comin back to the Bay.

**** BD i dont want him, wen i did like him he took my fanhood and took a **** on it basically. This is a good sign??? Maggete gets to line all the time shot 45% 22 a game?? Ya sher he doesnt play defense, but come on are u serious like the W's actual played true D last year. Now we need to trade al's fat *** worthless contract to get a proven PG and then that will free up some cap space for next year or even another FA this offseason.

Thatruth32
07-09-2008, 12:46 AM
still no word i think we are going to have to wait until wed mornin

jacquewho?
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Good signing. Maybe if Baron does indeed back out of his deal with the Clippers you could S/T him somewhere :shrug:. But yea, the lineup is real nice now. Monta at the PG is a good decision. Monta-Maggette-Jackson-Harrington-Biedrins. Nice team!

Conor
07-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Good signing. Maybe if Baron does indeed back out of his deal with the Clippers you could S/T him somewhere :shrug:. But yea, the lineup is real nice now. Monta at the PG is a good decision. Monta-Maggette-Jackson-Harrington-Biedrins. Nice team!

That's actually not a bad idea, wasn't thinking about that....we could definitely get a damn good PF for him, or a good PG+more. Then we still get value out of him but don't deal with a backstabbing sleazebag on our roster. :up:

bryan_22221
07-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Who cares if Maggette is not a good defender? no one on our team is, since when do you guys give a **** about defense? When was the last time the Warriors had a good defensive team? We had no defense when we smoked the Mavs in the playoffs and I guarantee you guys were on here praising the Warriors. Do you honestly think Mullin and Nellie were going to take a guy that plays D over a guy who scores 22 points per game? One guy who plays D is not going to help our overall defense, get a clue!! So dont get all pissed off, you should have seen this coming.

Bosh=nextKG
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
if we can;t get josj smith then i too like the sign and trade idea with baron. he d prolly rather sign with the w's cheap so he can be traded to an eastern team that will get into the playoffs for sure. Who knows, maybe even for Marion, we'd maybe be able to do a 3 way deal where we give up baron and harrington and we end up getting marion and hinrich or some sort of deal like that.

Conor
07-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Only problem with sign and trading Baron is that we won't be able to renounce him and therefore won't be able to pursue anyone on the open market.

Giants-49ers-Ws
07-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Harrington--Can't we trade this guy like the sixers did with carney just dump him on a team to take the salary for a secound round pick?...then we'd have the cap room to bring josh smith or baron comes crying back maybe for a 2-3 yr. deal....other ideas at point shall the warriors opt not to use monta their are SHAUN LIVINGSTON & SEBASTIAN TELFAIR

Ragun
07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
solid signing.

Conor
07-09-2008, 01:13 AM
I'd rather trade Harrington for Hinrich than to just dump him (he does have some good trade value). I have no problem with dumping someone like Perovic, but not Big Al, at least get some value for him. We're obviously trying to win now with the Maggette signing, so no more shipping away core guys for nothing.

Giants-49ers-Ws
07-09-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm all fro trading him for somethin if we can get something very valuable in return but otherwise dump him for a 2nd round pick and we can go make a run at smith..and as ive heard okafor when available..or we'd just have enough money to trade for someone that is available

OneOpportunity
07-09-2008, 02:15 AM
honestly i REALLY dislike this move. 50 Million!?!? The guy is best suited as a sixth man and no other team was going to offer him more then the mid level and we go and give him 10 a year? For 5 years? Yes he is a solid player and can score. Yes he will help us in the short term, but i can GUARENTEE that after 2 years we will be trying to move him to move his contract. It;s going to be similar to the harrington situation right now where we are trying to move his salary but it will be worse because he will probably have like 3 years still left on his salary. His contract is definitely going to hamper the warriors in the future and the future is when the warriors had a shot at being a championship contender, NOT now. Bad move, bad signing, and the front office will be regretting it within 2-3 years. The short term reward is no where near the long term effects it will have and i think the team is really shooting themselves in the foot. The Warrios panicked into making a move when they really were best off staying put. Maybe make a run at Iguodala and Smith and have a shot at one of them but if you cant get them then you just hold onto your money. This was just a case of spending money to do something because the team felt they had to do something. I must say i am very disappointed (its not so much Maggete, it just wasnt the right move for the Warriors)

warriors4life
07-09-2008, 02:21 AM
UGH! I hate this. the dubs signed him for too much! i was hoping we would get a younger and more promising talent like andre iguodala... i guess not. what's the warriors next move?

Tmac416
07-09-2008, 03:11 AM
the reason why we can win now is becuase the organization belives this teams yong players and monta being point can comepte. which we will

Leadoffman9
07-09-2008, 04:00 AM
how bout Jannero Pargo as our PG?

macbenz
07-09-2008, 05:20 AM
i like maggatte he fits our run and shoot ..... now we need josh smith ... and we mite actually be a better team and win more games then last year....

mavwar53
07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
how bout Jannero Pargo as our PG?

Obviously we don't need a starting PG now, it will be monta without question, as for pargo how does a back court of 2 guys that dont weigh 200 lbs lets see that work playing 'D' against kobe, wade, Joe Johnson and such, it only worked with baron because he is strong and he isnt on our team now if you didn't know. we shouldn't trade for hinrich for the same reason. We are not likely to make the playoffs this year so let monta learn the point the next 2 years and hope to sign a big name or trade for a star PF by 2010.

JaZzyJaTT
07-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Latest I heard, 5years, $45M. Way too much money for an injury prone player. If all the teams could offer the MLE at about $5.5M, who the hell were the Warriors competing against that they had to pay him about $9M a season as opposed to about $7M??? He can score in the bunches, but why not go after a 22-year old beast like Josh Smith?? I dont know, I hope this is all part of a sign and trade or something.

And I know we need a PG, and Kirk Hinrich is rumored to come this way, but everyone, do we really need a PG locked in beyond 2012 for about $40M left on his contract?? Steven Jackson and Al Harrington come off the books in 2010 and saves us about $17M, which we could use to try and land those high profile free agents coming out that year. Knowing that not even Elton Brand wanted to come here for more money, I doubt any HIGH profile player will come here.................but still, its all wishful thinking.

Just remember everyone, its not our money.

v3n0m
07-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I think Maggette made a big mistake by signing with the Warriors as Golden State has no chances of making it further into the season this coming season, instead, he could have signed with the Spurs, a true contender and a team that could have got him a championship ring, Golden State is in the hands of Maggette and Monta Elis, and even tho they are great, they are just an average team now without Baron Davis...

tru_warrior
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Latest I heard, 5years, $45M. Way too much money for an injury prone player. If all the teams could offer the MLE at about $5.5M, who the hell were the Warriors competing against that they had to pay him about $9M a season as opposed to about $7M??? He can score in the bunches, but why not go after a 22-year old beast like Josh Smith?? I dont know, I hope this is all part of a sign and trade or something.

And I know we need a PG, and Kirk Hinrich is rumored to come this way, but everyone, do we really need a PG locked in beyond 2012 for about $40M left on his contract?? Steven Jackson and Al Harrington come off the books in 2010 and saves us about $17M, which we could use to try and land those high profile free agents coming out that year. Knowing that not even Elton Brand wanted to come here for more money, I doubt any HIGH profile player will come here.................but still, its all wishful thinking.

Just remember everyone, its not our money.

Exactly my point all along. Stop the Hinrich talk...he was terrible last season.

And does anyone know exactly what Maggette's contract is? So much speculation right now. LA Times says 5yrs/$50mil. I'm watching Around the Horn and they just said we're getting Maggete for about half of what Davis got...so around $6.5 million. So does anyone know the real figure?

And Nellie said Monta is the point...so no need to look for anyone else except for a backup. After we get Turiaf, we'll only have a few million left to sign two or three more guys for close to the league minimum (ex. Croshere last season)