PDA

View Full Version : Brand goes with the 76ers, Maggette to the Warriors

XXXXXX
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
I posted this in the 76er forum and they are in shock. Brand has accepted the deal in Philly. The Clippers have to be in mourning. Here you go:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers9-2008jul09,0,7626268.story

Tragic Johnson
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the Clippers Baron Davis! :laugh2:

FlawlessKB24
ummm, what does this have to with the Los Angeles Lakers?
if we were really interested, we would've gone to the NBA/76ers/Clippers forums

Vinylman
I posted this in the 76er forum and they are in shock. Brand has accepted the deal in Philly. The Clippers have to be in mourning. Here you go:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers9-2008jul09,0,7626268.story

i knew philly wouldn't do that deal today unless they had brand wrapped up... watch out now ... baron won't sign with the clipps and machette will get a max deal :clap:

btw... you can send the money now :D

khoolit_jom#8
thats surprising!!!! no one predicted that, so thats why sixers fans were shocked when they heard about it... sorry for the clips..

Vinylman
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
you forgot to mention that machette signed with GS...

go ahead and send the money :D

XXXXXX
07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
i knew philly wouldn't do that deal today unless they had brand wrapped up... watch out now ... baron won't sign with the clipps and machette will get a max deal :clap:

btw... you can send the money now :D

You make me smile, Vinyl.:clap: C'mon, Maggette!!!! Sign the MLE with the Spurs or Boston!!!!!!

XXXXXX
07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
you forgot to mention that machette signed with GS...

go ahead and send the money :D

Lol.:clap:

Vinylman
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Lol.:clap:

i prefer a check so i can frame it... its more fun to do that than cash it :D

XXXXXX
07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I'll even buy the frame.:clap: Id rather be out 20 than 100. But eventually you'll cash it and bust me at a time when i need it.Lol.

Brooke
07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Wow! I didn't see that one coming. I really did think Brand would stay with the Clippers

FlawlessKB24
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
http://www.sportzinsomnia.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/owned.gif

Vinylman
07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I'll even buy the frame.:clap: Id rather be out 20 than 100. But eventually you'll cash it and bust me at a time when i need it.Lol.

hey i will make you a deal if you put something in your sig...

let me think what it is and how long it has to stay there :D

XXXXXX
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
You got it, bro. Let me know. I'm still here.:clap:

Flawless- go look at the Clipper forum. HAHAHAHA. Thay are saying, "well, we are the Clippers" after this news. LOL.

x_notorious
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Shocker. I guess everything changes when 80 million dollars are handed to you.

It would have been a solid team for the Clippers if they re-signed him along with Baron, but now, I think they'll be lucky enough to get a 7-8th seed.

Vinylman
07-08-2008, 09:26 PM
You got it, bro. Let me know. I'm still here.:clap:

Flawless- go look at the Clipper forum. HAHAHAHA. Thay are saying, "well, we are the Clippers" after this news. LOL.

will do...

isn't my PM prophetic :D

its the clippers... of course they will get ****ed :laugh::laugh:

XXXXXX
07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm laughing my *** off, Vinyl. The Clipper fans have accepted it as a normal occurence. I love it. LOL.

Lakerfan8032
07-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm always happy I'm not a Clipper fan. I don't think I would have made it. Good news backed by horrible news, that's the Clippers alright. Screwed forever.

WeDaBest
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
This is bad news for our sister franchise. On the same day, both players that were cornerstones for the Clippers leave the team for more lucrative deals.

Brand and Maggette both left for five-year deals to join the 76ers and Warriors respectively. This leaves Davis in a tough spot. It also means we can forget about getting either one of these players.

Additionally, Michael Pietrus has signed a deal with the Magic and Juan Carlos Navarro has left the NBA for a more lucrative deal to play in Spain. So with all those players out of the picture, it seems Posey and Thomas are our only other pick-up options.

Go Dodgers!
07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Corey Maggette has reportedly agreed to join the Golden State Warriors.
Terms are unavailable. Golden State replaces some of the scoring punch lost when Baron Davis left town. For fantasy purposes, Maggette couldn't have found a better spot for rehabbing his value. His scoring should go up in their up-tempo offense.

-Rotoworld

Er1c
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
corey is going to the warriors?

x_notorious
07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Corey's deal was projected to be at 5 years/50 million. Much more then the MLE.

NrenNstimpy
07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
The Golden State Warriors on Tuesday conceded defeat in the chase for Elton Brand's signature by quickly moving on to new targets and reaching a faster-than-expected verbal agreement to sign unrestricted free agent Corey Maggette, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Maggette decided against waiting to see if the Los Angeles Clippers would lose Brand to the Philadelphia 76ers -- which could have created an opportunity to stay with the Clippers -- to take a multiyear offer from the Warriors at a starting salary above the mid-level exception, which is expected to approach $6 million.

The Warriors and Clippers are two of the few teams with salary-cap space to spend on free agents above the mid-level, along with Memphis. Philadelphia was on that list before reaching a verbal agreement Tuesday to sign Brand away from the Clippers.

Golden State responded to the loss of Baron Davis to the Clippers by offering Brand a five-year deal worth an estimated $90 million, but the Warriors never came as close to luring Brand away from L.A. as the Sixers.

Maggette drew serious interest from several top contenders who are over the cap and only had the mid-level exception to offer, including Boston, San Antonio, Detroit, Utah, Cleveland and Orlando. It was presumed that Maggette was leaning toward signing with the Spurs if he couldn't secure an offer from a team with cap space.

The Clippers, sources said, expected to respond to the departures of Brand and Maggette by making a hard run at Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith, who was Philadelphia's No. 2 target behind Brand. If the Clippers elect to sign Smith to an offer sheet, Atlanta would have seven days to match.

Magette leaves Clipps (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3479117)

Looks like he's getting more than the MLE, even though the actual dollar amount wasn't specified.

x_notorious
07-08-2008, 09:51 PM
In another deal today, former Clipper Corey Maggette reached agreement to join the Golden State Warriors in a five-year deal worth about $50 million, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about player movements. Maggette also opted out of the last year of his Clippers contract last week.

LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers9-2008jul09,0,7626268.story)

NrenNstimpy
07-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Wonder who else the Warriors are gonna go after

static_inferno
07-08-2008, 09:56 PM
sucks for the Clippers but hey, i ain't a Clipper fan. i had a feeling Brand was going to the Sixers since they had money to give and they had a good, young team to surround him with. also it's pretty funny that Maggette is going to the Warriors, pretty much a trade for Baron.

Sixers:
Miller
Green
Iguodala
Brand
Dalembert

Warriors:
Ellis
Jackson
Maggette
Harrington
Biedrins

Clippers:
Davis
Mobley
Thorton
Thomas
Kaman

Philly looks pretty damn good now, Warriors have a fast team that can attack the basket, and Clippers have Thorton and Gordon to look forward to. nice to see some change in the NBA.

LAStory
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Wow. This will definitly affect the posey hunt, as maggette and pietrus are both off the market.

gagnefan38
07-08-2008, 09:59 PM
YES!!!!! We can finally stop these threads about getting Corey! We can also put to rest the Celts/Spurs rumors. Next domino is Posey.

SouljahPhil...
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
No maggete to spurs or C'S..............hahahahahahaha..
So sorry for BD...

agapeLAKERS
07-09-2008, 01:22 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8326466

Agrees to MLE with Warriors? Why wouldn't he take a contender MLE instead? Namely the Lakers?

Laker Legend42
07-09-2008, 01:29 AM
http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/53458/20080708/warriors_agree_to_terms_with_maggette/

Agrees to MLE with Warriors? Why wouldn't he take a contender MLE instead? Namely the Lakers?

Maybe he so the log jam at SF. I don't think it's a great fit because of the style of play. Maggette may be better in an offense with structure.

x_notorious
07-09-2008, 01:32 AM
The LA Times reports that his deal could be in the area of 5 years/50 million.

I'm sure if he were to sign a deal worth the MLE, he wouldn't go to Golden State. He can get that somewhere else and be a contender for a title while at it.

Kevj77
07-09-2008, 01:35 AM
He didn't sign for the MLE. ESPN reported its somewhere in the 8-10 million a year range, the MLE is about 6 mil. He wasn't going to take the MLE unless no teams made him a better offer.

City of Angels
07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssss the clippers and the warriors wont be contenders.

Lakersfan2483
07-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Although I am a laker fan, I feel for the Clipper fans, wow loosing E. Brand after the signing of B. Davis, I am shocked he is going to Philly, but he couldn't turn down the big payday. Anyway, this will stop the Maggette threads about coming to the lakers. I wanted us to sign Corey, but he followed the money as well. Hopefully, we can sign a veteran big man and a def. guard/forward to help our bench.

agapeLAKERS
07-09-2008, 02:16 AM
I just heard on ESPN that he has agreed to the MLE. I don't get it?

NrenNstimpy
07-09-2008, 02:32 AM
I just heard on ESPN that he has agreed to the MLE. I don't get it?

Even the article you posted puts his contract at $50 million over 5 years. Just by simple math, that puts his yearly income at $10 million a year. The MLE this year is $5.5 mill a year.

Lakerfrk
07-09-2008, 03:12 AM
I thought that the Warriors dont have the MLE to give, becasue it can only be used by teams who are over the Salary Cap.......

So he couldn't have signed for the MLE.

LakerDeftones
07-09-2008, 03:49 AM
keep the conversation where they belong in their respected forums please

LAKERMANIA
07-09-2008, 04:03 AM
keep the conversation where they belong in their respected forums please

thank you