PDA

View Full Version : Cubs land Harden in 6 player deal

dodgerphreak
07-08-2008, 07:59 PM
CHICAGO (AP)—The Chicago Cubs acquired pitcher Rich Harden from the Oakland Athletics in a six-player trade on Tuesday.

The Cubs received the right-handed Harden and righty Chad Gaudin for pitcher Sean Gallagher, outfielders Matt Murton and Eric Patterson, and minor leaguer Josh Donaldson.

“We’ve been working on Mr. Harden for a few weeks now,” Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said.

Harden, eligible to be a free agent after the 2009 season, is 5-1 with a 2.34 ERA in 13 starts this season. He’s scheduled to $4.75 million this season.

The oft-injured righty missed a month earlier this season because of a right shoulder strain. It was his sixth trip to the disabled list in his six-year career.

The Cubs said they expected Harden would join the team Wednesday and that he’ll pitch either Friday or Saturday night at Wrigley against the San Francisco Giants.

“This gives up another weapon,” manager Lou Piniella said. “He’ll fit in here really nice. Let’s keep him healthy and pitching and go from there.”

Hendry said the trade was not a reaction to the Sabathia trade by the Brewers, who were four games behind the NL Central-leading Cubs heading into Tuesday night.

“Our mode all year is we’re trying to get better,” he said.

Chicago also received Gaudin, who was 5-3 win a 3.59 ERA in 26 games— including six starts. Last season, he was a starter all season and went 11-13 with a 4.42 ERA.

To land the pair, the Cubs had to part with Murton, a former top prospect who has yet to live up to his billing. In his fourth season, Murton has shuttled between Triple-A Iowa and Chicago. He’s hitting .250 in 40 at-bats.

They also traded the right-handed Gallagher, who is 3-4 with a 4.45 ERA in 12 games, including 10 starts, in his second season.

Patterson, the brother of Corey Patterson, was sent to the minors on July 3, the fourth time this year he’s been sent down. An outfielder who can also play second base, Patterson was hitting .237 with a homer and seven RBIs in 38 at-bats with the big league club.

Donaldson, a catcher for Class A Peoria, was hitting .217 with six homers.

“You’re not getting a guy like this without it hurting a little bit,” Hendry said.

Piniella said the trade should send a message to Cubs fans.

“This shows the Cubs are going to do everything in their power to get where we want to go.”
Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cubs-athleticstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Another good pitcher off the market. I know that we have good pitching, but he was one of our trade targets at the beginning of the season, wasn't he? I'd still rather get a position player, though. Thoughts?

gagnefan38
07-08-2008, 08:01 PM
The key sentence is that he is 6 for 6 in ending up on the D/L. With the Cubs luck he'll need surgery.

Tymathee
07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
we no need pitcher, we have 2nd best staff in NL (numbers terms) we just need hitting and we got Nomar back already. we good, we in 1st place, go Dodgers!

BlueMouse
07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
^ I like the caveman style you got going there. I say you keep working it and make it your thing :D

DodgerDawg55
07-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Wow, terrible move for the A's, they just got some spare parts for 2 solid pitchers, this sounds like that Gasol trade to me... Highway Robbery!!!

Bleeds Blue
07-08-2008, 08:32 PM
just what i was thinking dodger dawg. wtf is up with the a's in this deal? if harden stays healthy then the cubs are freightening

GameOver21
07-08-2008, 08:37 PM
^ I like the caveman style you got going there. I say you keep working it and make it your thing :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I seriously fell out of my chair when I read this.

xray500
07-08-2008, 08:44 PM

You very perceptive, you funny, me like that. Nice catch man..funny!

darth550
07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Of course they would have wanted Kemp, Kershaw, McDonald and Loney from us.........

Cracka2HI!
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I think the story here is not that we didn't get Harden but that the value of Lowe and Penny(if healthy) is going up!

GameOver21
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I think the story here is not that we didn't get Harden but that the value of Lowe and Penny(if healthy) is going up!

Very good point. The sooner the rest of the pitchers are off the market, the more of an advantage we have in the trade... DONT SCREW IT UP NED!!

don'tfireNedCo
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Wow, terrible move for the A's, they just got some spare parts for 2 solid pitchers, this sounds like that Gasol trade to me... Highway Robbery!!!

you don't know the A's way of business...

it is what billy beane has to do to stay competitive while given 1/3 to 1/4 of $s other GMs operate on.

if baseball had a hard salary cap and A's were not owned by two douchbag lawyers, billy beane will make ned look like a fat drunk in full drag at Ms USA pageant.

DodgerDawg55
07-08-2008, 10:52 PM
you don't know the A's way of business...

it is what billy beane has to do to stay competitive while given 1/3 to 1/4 of $s other GMs operate on.

if baseball had a hard salary cap and A's were not owned by two douchbag lawyers, billy beane will make ned look like a fat drunk in full drag at Ms USA pageant.

I agree with you that Beane is a great GM, but I think he could have gotten a better package for Harden and Guadin, especially with CC of the market, Beane had the best starter available. Gallagher has a chance to be a solid pitcher, but I don't see what Beane saw in the other 3 guys. I think deep down Beane is a die hard Cubs fan and this is his way to end 100 years of frustration.

DodgerDawg55
07-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Of course they would have wanted Kemp, Kershaw, McDonald and Loney from us.........

If they were willing to take that package from the Cubs I think we could have gotten Harden and Gaudin forsomething like Hu, Laroche, Meloan, Paul.

mcpeepants23200
07-08-2008, 11:48 PM
If they were willing to take that package from the Cubs I think we could have gotten Harden and Gaudin forsomething like Hu, Laroche, Meloan, Paul.

we couldn't of got Harden for that. We would of needed to include better pitching. We actually could of probably gave up McDonald, Laroche and Paul and got it done but I don't think I would of done it. The key to this trade in the A's eyes is probably Gallagher. He has a ton of potential, think Billingsley with a better fastball but worse offspeed stuff, and could be a solid #2 starter. Obviously Hardens' injuries had a tremendous effect on his trade value. If healthy he's just as good as Sabathia but since he can never stay healthy the Indians got much better prospects than the A's.

DodgerDawg55
07-08-2008, 11:54 PM
we couldn't of got Harden for that. We would of needed to include better pitching. We actually could of probably gave up McDonald, Laroche and Paul and got it done but I don't think I would of done it. The key to this trade in the A's eyes is probably Gallagher. He has a ton of potential, think Billingsley with a better fastball but worse offspeed stuff, and could be a solid #2 starter. Obviously Hardens' injuries had a tremendous effect on his trade value. If healthy he's just as good as Sabathia but since he can never stay healthy the Indians got much better prospects than the A's.

I don't think he'll be anything great, but he's still young so we'll see.

hoffmkr
07-09-2008, 12:46 PM
If you want to match up the dodgers minor leaguers to this trade
McDonald < Gallagher (Gallagher's got better stuff)
Young =< Murton (Both have talent, produced in Minors but no in Majors, Murton might have one more option left)
Paul = Patterson (both have talent, Patterson has seen majors but done nothing)
May > Donaldson (May is in Double A slugging and hitting much better than Donaldson in A ball)
You throw in a AAA pitcher like Johnson to eat innings in the Majors now and the Dodgers offer would have been MUCH better. Stults might have been included just to make roster space.

That being said, do you really want Harden when he'd probably hurt himself trying on the Dodgers jersey at the press conference.

grizz8884
07-09-2008, 01:19 PM
We don't need pitching, and we sure as hell don't need another Glass Joe on the 25 man roster. I feel the Cubs got the best of this trade, so good for them.