PDA

View Full Version : Sources Say the Orlando Magic will sign Mickael Pietrus on Wednesday

JordansBulls
07-08-2008, 06:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3478921

Florida Today reported on Tuesday that the Magic have reached a verbal agreement with free-agent swingman Mickael Pietrus, who played for the Golden State Warriors last season.

BlondeBomber41
07-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Ohhhhh, thats a nice pickup.

MiamiHeat
07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
No!! Damn You Magic!!

ManRam
07-08-2008, 07:04 PM
There have been quiet rumors about this for a while now, but Maggette, Duhon and Dooling were getting all the attention. His agent had been in talks with the Magic, but for some reason, it wasn't getting attention.

It isn't quite final...the O-Sen is saying that they "are closer to signing" him, as of 24 minutes ago. Hoopsworld and real.gm don't really convince me entirely.

A back up PG is still our biggest need, but if Pietrus can play the 2, he'll be our starter.

I think/hope this means Redick and or Bogans are gone.

Joshtd1
07-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Nice pickup for the Magic.

lincecum=future
07-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Pietrus is a nice player but he will frustrate you with his low basketball IQ. He still makes rookie mistakes. But he will give you a nice little boost off the bench.

ManRam
07-08-2008, 07:16 PM
It's made it to ESPN...so I believe it now, not that I didn't before (just not a hoopshype or real gm fan).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3478921

Kind of happy, but not ecstatic. Kind of leaves us without a back up point guard...and without anything more than the minimum to lure in a FA.

AgentViet
07-08-2008, 07:19 PM
If this is for the MLE, I don't like it. Pietrus has great potential along with defense, shooting and athletics but his basketball IQ isn't too great and he makes quite a lot of foolish moves. I don't see him much of an upgrade over Mo Evans, I think the Magic should have pushed harder for Corey Maggette.

ManRam
07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
If this is for the MLE, I don't like it. Pietrus has great potential along with defense, shooting and athletics but his basketball IQ isn't too great and he makes quite a lot of foolish moves. I don't see him much of an upgrade over Mo Evans, I think the Magic should have pushed harder for Corey Maggette.

How could have they pushed harder for Maggette? All they had to offer is the MLE. He did say a while ago that he wanted to return to Orlando, but it must have became clear that the bigger market/power house teams were more enticing. They wouldn't have done this if they thought they still had a chance at him. I'm not a huge fan if it is for all the MLE, and it is supposedly for most of it, but I'm not upset. He is an upgrade over Evans, although Evans had a solid year. His defense is really needed too.

#1Mavericksfan
07-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Pietras is good but he's not worth the full mle, Pietras is always hurt most of the time but if he can stay healthy then it might be a good sign for the Magic.

AgentViet
07-08-2008, 07:35 PM
How could have they pushed harder for Maggette? All they had to offer is the MLE. He did say a while ago that he wanted to return to Orlando, but it must have became clear that the bigger market/power house teams were more enticing. They wouldn't have done this if they thought they still had a chance at him. I'm not a huge fan if it is for all the MLE, and it is supposedly for most of it, but I'm not upset. He is an upgrade over Evans, although Evans had a solid year. His defense is really needed too.

Well, I don't know. Maybe just get more ties to him or something... I don't really see him being an upgrade over Evans. They're both solid defenders and shooters, but Evans is smarter while Pietrus is more athletic.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Pietrus is a decent signing. He's someone I wanted the Spurs to push for for the full MLE. Before I thought anything of a possibility of Maggette. He can defend at the top of the key and can shoot for a decent percentage from the three.

JordansBulls
07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Pietras is good but he's not worth the full mle, Pietras is always hurt most of the time but if he can stay healthy then it might be a good sign for the Magic.

It's better than having Evans or Bogans as your SG.

t-mac1nukka
07-08-2008, 08:01 PM

hahaha. how is that possible?

#1Mavericksfan
07-08-2008, 08:03 PM
It's better than having Evans or Bogans as your SG.

It is better but what are they going to do with JJ Redick now? if they not gonna play him they should just trade him or let him sign somewhere else because there are a lot of teams that would give him a chance to play.

ManRam
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
It is better but what are they going to do with JJ Redick now? if they not gonna play him they should just trade him or let him sign somewhere else because there are a lot of teams that would give him a chance to play.

I'd like to move JJ. It's clear to me that he has zero role on this team. He isn't going to bring defense to the table, and on offense, he's basically only good for shooting threes, something the Magic have not shortage of. Jameer, Shard and Hedo are three of the top 35 three point shooters (percentage) and their 9.8 threes a game were the best in the league as a team. Move him, with Bogans, maybe a future pick for a serviceable big man.

Well, I don't know. Maybe just get more ties to him or something... I don't really see him being an upgrade over Evans. They're both solid defenders and shooters, but Evans is smarter while Pietrus is more athletic.

DEFENSE. Our perimeter defense is weak, and Evans really isn't know for his defense. Dooling was our best defensive guard, and he probably wont be back. Pietrus is known for his defense. His defense, athleticism and hustle are something we lack in the back court. I like the move. He is a better fit for the Magic than Evans/Bogans/Redick/Lee. Those guys play little to no defense, but can score. We need defense, and can sacrifice scoring (top scoring team in the East).

As of now, I'm content with the signing. I am curious to see how the roster is filled up though.

blip45
07-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Nice pickup by Orlando.
Like the others said, I don't think he's worth the full Mle.

The Melky Way
07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I am excited about this move, but it means the end of Dooling in Orlando, he is was a very nice player off the bench and would have been great off the bench at PG because Nelson can't go the entire game at the position and does tend to go down with minor injuries that keep him out for games at a time.

We still need a big man and I am hoping that no one signs Kwame Brown and the Magic can snag him for veteran's minimum, which would be a great move because coming off the bench, he could be very useful in Van Gundy's produce for me or I will beat the crap out of you system

jets25
07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
This would be an excellent signing for the Magic.

Pietras is very athletic and has improved greatly with his perimeter shot.

WeDaBest
07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Pietrus will do well with Howard and Nelson in that Magic lineup. Guess this means Maggette won't be joining his old team.

_Sn1P3r_
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Stupid Philly and Magic on their free agent additions.. Lol, congrats on him though.