PDA

View Full Version : Sources: McCourt nixed Dodgers' possible trade for Sabathia

Go Dodgers!
07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Shortly after the Milwaukee Brewers finalized a trade for reigning American League Cy Young Award winner CC Sabathia on Monday, the Daily News learned that sometime in the days leading up to that deal, Dodgers owner Frank McCourt nixed a trade that would have brought Sabathia to Los Angeles, along with Indians third baseman Casey Blake and utility man Jamey Carroll. McCourt's reason was financial, according to multiple industry sources. But that is a charge McCourt flatly denied. "It's just totally false," he said. "The players didn't match up, and that's just the way it was." All three players are potential free agents in the fall, although Carroll's contract includes a club option for next season. The 2008 base salaries of Sabathia ($9 million), Blake ($6.1 million) and Carroll ($2.15 million) total $17.25 million, a figure that drops to somewhere between $8 million and $9 million with more than half the season already gone. Carroll also has a $150,000 buyout on his $2.5 million option for 2009. It is unclear which players the Dodgers would have given up to acquire the trio. But with the defending AL Central champion Indians presently in last place and holding out little hope of getting back into contention, it is a reasonable assumption that package would have consisted of young players not making much more than the major-league minimum of $390,000. -- LA Daily News

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_9812507

J-Rodzilla
07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Well here's some more info about the nixed trade for Sabathia.
http://www.insidesocal.com/dodgers/2008/07/more-on-the-abo.html

bestlakersfan
07-08-2008, 05:33 PM
They were probably asking for Kemp, LaRoche, Broxton and McDonald. Maybe even Hu. It is all good with me. I'm sure we will be players in the CC sweepstakes in the offseason. Way to go McCourt, don't give up the future for a summer rental(s).

BlueZoo
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Yes, the players who were involved on our side is very important ...or maybe not considering it's all over.
Blake would have been a nice pickup , too. He's got as many RBIs as anyone on LA, more actually as a part time player and pretty good fielder, too.

swells2048
07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Well if we were giving up Kemp and Mcdonald then I'm kind of glad the there wasn't a trade. The offense is anemic enough and Blake wasn't going to be the answer.

THINKBLUE15
07-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm glad it got "nixed". I'm not giving up two of our corner outfielders and more for a guy that will pitch every 5 days.

LAdiablo
07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
good on you frank, its always extortion when it comes to the dodgers. mccourt has not shown any hesitation spending money. this was about players involved.

UCLADodger
07-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Sounds like Kemp Laroche and McDonald....

Wowzers... to be honest... I would have LOVED to make this trade to get us in the playoffs....

That being said... it would not have put us in WS contention so Im glad he didnt.

Im just wondering... if your afraid to add 9 mil to this years cap... what are we gonna do in the offseason?

Malone for Pres
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Tick tock tick tock....

That's the sound of the clock ticking away on Colletti's tenure as a Dodger. When the owner starts nixxing your trade proposals, you're standing on your last leg.

And I am relly glad we didn't send Kemp away for a friggin' rental. That woulda bit us in the arse hard.

spanky006
07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Im just wondering... if your afraid to add 9 mil to this years cap... what are we gonna do in the offseason?

We are going to free up a ton of cash when the season is over.

Kent (9) /Laoiza (7) /Lowe (10) /Glassia (8.5) /Furcal (13) and possibly Penny(8.5+ 2 buy out for 09).

That is almost 60 Mill!!!!

mcpeepants23200
07-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Kent (9) /Laoiza (7) /Lowe (10) /Glassia (8.5) /Furcal (13) and possibly Penny(8.5+ 2 buy out for 09).

I really don't think it was over money. Sabathia is a stud but this would of made our offense even worse and we already have tons of starting pitching. Why is it everyone wants major league players from us, ie Kemp, but will accept minor league players from other teams? If we would of gave up Kemp, Laroche, McDonald and Hu for Sabathia, Blake and Carroll we would of regretted it for a long time. Especially since the two important players we would of acquired would be rentals.

c2thab
07-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Yes.....There will be cash to spend. And hopefully its White or Ng not Colletti the fagetti!!

mcpeepants23200
07-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Yes.....There will be cash to spend. And hopefully its White or Ng not Colletti the fagetti!!

Colletti will most likely be gone after this year. Even if McCourt doesn't fire him this is at least the second deal he had planned that McCourt nixed. Thank god and your right our new gm better be Ng or White(I prefer White but Ng is also a very good canidate).

Tymathee
07-08-2008, 07:18 PM
good job nixing the trade. dont need 'em and did people forget how bad sabathia pitched in the playoffs that fast?

Cracka2HI!
07-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm glad he nixed it. He would have never re-signed CC anyway. Besides currently Bills, Kuroda, Stults and Park are all pitching just as CC anyway.

PurplePride323
07-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I think we should drop Lowe and Penny in the offseason and go after Sabathia in a hurry. The guy is young, cy young winner and has a chance to be the best for a long time. Imagine our rotation with Sabathia in 09.

1. Sabathia
2. Billingsley
3. Penny
4. Kuroda
5. Kershaw

Our offense could look like this.

C. Martin
1B. Loney
2B. LaRoche
SS. Furcal (re-sign him please.)
3B. DeWitt
LF. Bay
CF. Kemp
RF. Ethier

Trade Andruw Jones, Jonathan Broxton, Chin-Lung Hu and MacDonald for Jason Bay.

GameOver21
07-08-2008, 08:45 PM
They were probably asking for Kemp, LaRoche, Broxton and McDonald. Maybe even Hu. It is all good with me. I'm sure we will be players in the CC sweepstakes in the offseason. Way to go McCourt, don't give up the future for a summer rental(s).

:clap: I totally agree with you.

Cracka2HI!
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I think we should drop Lowe and Penny in the offseason and go after Sabathia in a hurry. The guy is young, cy young winner and has a chance to be the best for a long time. Imagine our rotation with Sabathia in 09.

1. Sabathia
2. Billingsley
3. Penny
4. Kuroda
5. Kershaw

Our offense could look like this.

C. Martin
1B. Loney
2B. LaRoche
SS. Furcal (re-sign him please.)
3B. DeWitt
LF. Bay
CF. Kemp
RF. Ethier

HAHA! My favorite scenarios are the ones that don't include Pierre or Jones for next season.

Mr Blue
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
good on you frank, its always extortion when it comes to the dodgers. mccourt has not shown any hesitation spending money. this was about players involved.iI hate to admit that Frank was right, but H#LL YEAH on this one. He was right about the players not matching up and better yet I view this as a huge vote of no-confidence in Ned. I suspect that he asked Logan for a 2nd opinion, and that was that. :clap:

J-Rodzilla
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Totally agree the Dodgers don't need a summer rental, give up players when C.C is not a sure bet to sign with the team he was traded to. If he doesn't sign then the Dodgers can go after him on the off season.

LARock21
07-09-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm pretty sure the consensus here on psd is that it was a good non move, regardless of whose decision it was. If colletti was ready to go ahead for a trade for CC, then it just gives me more reason to hope he gets his *** fired at the end of the season.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Frank ftw!!! Ned ftl!!!

yojoe792
07-09-2008, 02:30 AM

Glassia??:confused:

J-Rodzilla
07-09-2008, 02:51 AM
Glassia??:confused:

That's Nomar Glassiapara

spanky006
07-09-2008, 03:02 AM
That's Nomar Glassiapara

:clap:for you old timers.....Glass Joe!!!:clap:

BLUE4EVER
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Tick tock tick tock....

That's the sound of the clock ticking away on Colletti's tenure as a Dodger. When the owner starts nixxing your trade proposals, you're standing on your last leg.

And I am relly glad we didn't send Kemp away for a friggin' rental. That woulda bit us in the arse hard.

DAMM!!!!!I HOPE YOUR RIGHT

darth550
07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
:clap:for you old timers.....Glass Joe!!!:clap:

then shouldn't that be "Glass No"? :D:D:D

Tapptout
07-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Good for you Frank finally stopping all of Ned's questionable at least trades.

grizz8884
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM

We would have to eat some of that contract in order for that to happen. For Jason Bay, we're giving up too much here.

And lol, looks like McCourt knows his baseball better than Colletti.

McCourt for GM anybody? :laugh:

darth550
07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
One thing's for sure, if they do in fact make a blockbuster type trade, the pressure brought to bear on the new "savior" guy will be considerable.....

darth550
07-09-2008, 01:25 PM
And lol, looks like McCourt knows his baseball better than Colletti

Um, that would have been the guy who's undoubtedly lobbying for the job, Logan White! :)

showtym24
07-09-2008, 05:36 PM
\\

showtym24
07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Sounds like Kemp Laroche and McDonald....

Wowzers... to be honest... I would have LOVED to make this trade to get us in the playoffs....

That being said... it would not have put us in WS contention so Im glad he didnt.

we werent gonna give up kemp in the trade

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/rosenthals-la-2.html

c2thab
07-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Rosenthals latest...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8328148/Notebook:-Will-Dodgers-ever-make-a-move?

Apparentely we wouldnt have had to give up Kemp, Ethier or anyone who starts regularly for that matter. The Indians asked for Laroche, Corey Wade, McDonald & Carlos Santana (Not the singer) in a deal for Sabathia, Blake & Carroll....Very interesting...

showtym24
07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
****in rediculuos

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-09-2008, 11:04 PM

That McCourt will spend on port o johns for the parking lot, so people won't just go over the ledge in the trees, next to lot 9 on the south side of the lot.

If that Rosenthal story is correct I give McCourt the douchebag of the week award. We weren't giving up anything really.

LAStory
07-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Rosenthals latest...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8328148/Notebook:-Will-Dodgers-ever-make-a-move?

Apparentely we wouldnt have had to give up Kemp, Ethier or anyone who starts regularly for that matter. The Indians asked for Laroche, Corey Wade, McDonald & Carlos Santana (Not the singer) in a deal for Sabathia, Blake & Carroll....Very interesting...

Why didn't McCourt pull the trigger? Oh yeahs that rights, $7.5 million extra on the payroll :ohno:. Glad you kept a good watch on that. Thats what matters right? :mad::clap:

Statik1
07-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Well if all else fails blame it on Jones!

Tymathee
07-10-2008, 12:30 PM
rosenthal can blow it out his hole, this was a bad trade because it would give us too many starting pitchers. We'd have Lowe, Penny, Sabathia, Billingsly and Kuroda.

with park and stultz pitching so wlel, i'd hate to have to send one of them either to the bullpen or the minors when they're ready now to be our starters...

Park has a 0.62 ERA at Dodger Stadium for godsakes!!!

I know Sabthia is good but what good would he give us when our pitchers are lights out nearly every night? Also, as a Boras client, he's not going to resign with us mid-season, he's a half year rental and do u guys really think that we're going all the way this year?

If we're going to trade all of that away to get Sabathia, then why dont we trade all of that, include Loney, and make a deal with Atlanta for Texeira who they're trying to get rid of?

nothing against loney, I looooove loney he's one of my favorite players but...if we could get MaTex then well...i'd walk around like this all day :D :D :D

thicklug
07-10-2008, 12:56 PM
The Indians wanted Kershaw or Kemp in any trade for Sabathia.

We don't need Sabathia, we need a SS. Last I checked Sabathia is a little large in the mid section to play SS.

Dodgers have the best pitching in the NL. Only the uneducated fan thinks we need Sabathia. Look at what our pitchers did to a pretty well stacked braves lineup the last 3 games.

darth550
07-10-2008, 01:07 PM
he's a half year rental and do u guys really think that we're going all the way this year?

DAMN RIGHT I DO!!!!!!!

Now go say 50 Hail Tommys and sit in the corner! :mad::mad::mad:

Tymathee
07-10-2008, 01:22 PM
DAMN RIGHT I DO!!!!!!!

Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy,
Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy,
Hail Tommy, Hail Tommy...

(Sits in Corner) I'm sowe..:hide:

Az_Dodgers_Fan
07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
dont trade for Texeria. he doesnt want to play here anyway. rent a players suck!

BlueMouse
07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
The Indians wanted Kershaw or Kemp in any trade for Sabathia.

We don't need Sabathia, we need a SS. Last I checked Sabathia is a little large in the mid section to play SS.

Dodgers have the best pitching in the NL. Only the uneducated fan thinks we need Sabathia. Look at what our pitchers did to a pretty well stacked braves lineup the last 3 games.

Welcome aboard, lug.

DAMN RIGHT I DO!!!!!!!

That's what I'm talkin' about! :clap:

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
You can never have enough pitching, look at last year. Whoever doesn't want a Cy Young award winner on their staff is nuts.