PDA

View Full Version : Might the Pistons Offer Billups for Harrington?

SFsFINEST
07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Stay with me here: The Warriors have been trying to unload Al Harrington (two years left worth about $20 million) and they need a point guard. The Pistons could offer Chauncey Billups, but they would want a lot more than Harrington back in return. The Pistons have notdiscussed this scenario with the Warriors, and they are not overly infatuated with Harrington.

So, depending who else came in the deal, this might be too much of a lateral move to excite Dumars.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080708/OPINION03/807080362/1127/SPORTS0102

Not too promising, but would you guys be willing to part with both Harrington and Wright for Billups?

PG: Billups
SG: Ellis
SF: Jackson
PF: Randolph/Brand?
C: Beidrins

OneOpportunity
07-08-2008, 03:41 PM
i'm not giving up wright in a deal for a guy who is going to be 32 next season

djeller1139
07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Sign Maggette and i'd give SJ and Al for Billups and someone else, idk who though.

Tmac416
07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Sign Maggette and i'd give SJ and Al for Billups and someone else, idk who though.

lol your joking right? you think detroit actually would want stephen jackson bakc in palace? out of all the teams in the nba the ovbious no is detroit.

djeller1139
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
lol your joking right? you think detroit actually would want stephen jackson bakc in palace? out of all the teams in the nba the ovbious no is detroit.

Oooh thats true, i deffinately forgot about that..well, then we wouldn't need Maggette, so instead we could get Josh Smith maybe

IndyFan
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM
if the pistons wanted harington for billups, take it in a minute. billups can play, al can't.

:)

bayareafan650
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
It would take more than just Al. We could possible sign and trade Pietrus over there as well?

IamTurboman
07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080708/OPINION03/807080362/1127/SPORTS0102
PG: Billups
SG: Ellis
SF: Jackson
PF: Randolph/Brand?
C: BeidrinsRadolph is not a 4...at least as a starter. He is tall, but way too skinny for the 4, and his game is more like a 3. Wright is better right now any way, IMO.

Also I don't know if a 32 year old Billups fits our offense?

good spliff
07-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Hell yeah I would do this, then we can think playoffs again.

Trade Harrington, Wright, 1st round pick for Billups.

PG: Chauncey Billlups
SG: Monta Ellis
SF: Corey Maggette
PF: Stephen Jackson
C: Andris Biedrins

PLAYOFFS!

IamTurboman
07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Jack can spell atthe 4, but if he was out fulltime PF...Wow.

He defends the other team's best guard or swingman! If he was playing the 4, than who would play the other teams 4? Maggette? He is too small too. Also if Jack did defend the other teams 4, He would not be nearly as good of a defender, since he is at his best with space. The 4 would be more physical. It is a different type of defense!

Tmac416
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
were nbot geting builupps becuase real basketball people know that it would never work.

SFsFINEST
07-08-2008, 11:47 PM
so lets here from a "real" basketball fan, why would it not work?

QuaLiThADoN
07-08-2008, 11:52 PM
wouldn't b a bad idea but the pistons are going to ask for more than just al harrington... probally picks cash another player ect.

OneOpportunity
07-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Hell yeah I would do this, then we can think playoffs again.

Trade Harrington, Wright, 1st round pick for Billups.

PG: Chauncey Billlups
SG: Monta Ellis
SF: Corey Maggette
PF: Stephen Jackson
C: Andris Biedrins

PLAYOFFS!

first of all, no that would not be a playoff team (or at the very most a one and done team). And second, that is WAY too much for Billups. Wright AND a 1st???? No thanks. Oh and good luck with Sjack at PF and with zero bench

Lincoln Logs
07-09-2008, 12:39 AM

A strait swap Harrington for Billups of course. But if your talking Wright and 1st round pick next year like Spiff said, you're asking for too much of our future for a 32 year old with a 12.5 million/year contract(with Maggette's signing, really decreases our chance with Monta and Biedrens since Cohan is not Cuban) with no guarentee that his style of play would fit with Nellie's system. Detroit and the Warriors are polar opposites in terms of style of play.

Tmac416
07-09-2008, 03:18 AM

no your clearly not. dumars has made it very clear he has no desire in the warrios players or in even moving billups. this trade is never hapening. this is not even a rumor. dumars said hell no 3 weeks ago to a davis billups deal and he isnt agreeing now. not to mention billups would not want to come here and in the warrios plan he doesnt fit in.sorry thats the facts

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Al and draft picks for Billups.. nothing more!

SFsFINEST
07-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Tmac.. I'm not the one who created the rumor, I just posted it and asked what everyone thought. Second, I am a basketball person. I know my stuff. Dumars may have shot down the idea, but what GM openly comes out to the media with their roster plans?

If it came down to it, I don't care how old Billups is, he can run an offense nearly as good as Baron. Especially Nellie's offense. I think Billups would be a great addition to help avoid Ellis playing the point and let him continue to grow as a scorer. I know Nellie has always said Monta would end up as a point guard in his future, but I think he makes up for being undersized by utilizing his mid range jumper. He's draining shots that a few years ago, would be three pointers for his high school team. Any time now, he'll be doing that from an NBA three. He just needs more strength.

Moving Harrington, who definitely doesn't like the fact that he has already lost playing time and isn't impressed that Nelson stated he's going to play the young kids more in spite of any veterans on the team. With Al moved, it opens up a spot for Wright or Hendrix at the 4, or Jack sliding down from time to time to allow Randolph playing time at the 3, or even Belinelli getting time in at the 2 or 3 more often.

I don't have the exact figures on hand, but I'm pretty sure the salaries add up with Harrington and Billups to where it will pass the 10% trade rule.

The Dubs have a need at point, even if Nellie is playing it off that we are fine at the 1, and something could be done before the season begins by either free agency, RFA's, sign and trade with Baron, or trading some of our other expendable pieces or picks.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if nothing gets done, this whole idea was pure rumor and speculation. Just something for everyone to chew on, not shoot it down as completely unreasonable.

Tmac416
07-10-2008, 02:58 AM
you dont make up for size with a jumper

SFsFINEST
07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
In terms of strength and size inside the paint, something BDiddy had, you CAN make up for that by being one of the top shooters in the game.

Storch
07-10-2008, 03:23 PM
The warriors just fixed their problem of having two small guards. Why should they redo the same team again. I say hunt for a star big man next offseason in the free agency. Nothing drastic should be done at this point. Im sure Ellis is good enough to play the point.

pg - ellis
sg - jackson
sf- maggette
pf - harrington
c- biedrins

awesome team. They can all run the floor pretty well. Specially since maggette is a high fly act on the break.