PDA

View Full Version : The Official Offseason Thread

DerekRE_3
07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Here you can post anything related to the offseason. Free agents we are going after, players we are trying to re-sign (Okafor). Information about the Summer League can be posted as well.

DerekRE_3
07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
LAS VEGAS --
Charlotte Bobcats first-round picks D.J. Augustin and Alexis Ajinca have signed contracts with the team, under terms of the NBA's rookie pay scale.

The deals came together just before both took the court in the Bobcats' first practice, leading up to games this weekend in the Las Vegas Summer League.

Augustin was the ninth overall pick last month, while Ajinca was the 20th pick. Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, each receives a two-year guaranteed contract, with team options for each of the following two seasons.

Signing Ajinca means the Bobcats successfully released him from his pre-existing contract with the French team Hyeres-Toulon.

Source: Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/bobcats/story/704443.html)

DerekRE_3
07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I did not expect the Bobcats to immediately sign Alexis Ajinca. I thought he might stay overseas a year but I'm thinking this means that we will see all 3 of our draft picks in the summer league this year. I'm excited to see what Ajinca can do.

DerekRE_3
07-08-2008, 02:10 PM
LAS VEGAS --
It was the simplest little gesture; a boss telling an employee that a hospital stay wouldn't cost him his job.

But to Adam Morrison, that phone message from Charlotte Bobcats managing partner Michael Jordan – “Everything is going to be fine. You're still a part of us.” – got him through six months of knee rehabilitation.

Those six months for the Bobcats small forward occasionally were excruciating, continuously tedious and intermittently frustrating. His left knee shredded from a freak accident in an exhibition, Morrison had to remove himself from basketball for the first time since grade school.

Maybe – just maybe – the injury that tore ligaments in his knee granted something else in compensation: perspective.

“I should have grown up more than I did,” Morrison said Monday of his center-of-attention rookie season.

That was back in 2006 when the Bobcats selected Morrison third overall in the draft. Instead of a sense of entitlement, being the third pick burdened Morrison with a sense of obligation. Every time some season-ticket holder yelled, “Shoot!” Morrison felt obliged to deliver, often clanging long jumpers off the rim.

He played dramatically better on the road than at home, a clear sign his head was spinning with expectation. So the summer between his first and second NBA seasons, he promised himself he'd slow down and stop hearing the voices.

That led to a strong preseason, right up until he made a simple move on Los Angeles Lakers forward Luke Walton at the Staples Center. His left calf went one way, his left thigh went the other, and it was obvious immediately his knee was injured.

That's where this story picks up in the present: Morrison is with the Bobcats' summer-league team, which will begin practice today on UNLV's campus. He'll participate in non-contact drills this week, working toward a clearance to scrimmage in September, a month before training camp.

The knee is fine, he's told. His head seems healed, too. Difficult as this has been – he'd never been seriously injured before – there have been positives in the experience.

“I let stuff bother me, and I've learned to let it slide,” said Morrison, who was at times painfully self-conscious as a rookie. “I've got to let wins slide and I've got to let losses slide. Just keep an even” temperament.

It sounds like his forced absence has granted Morrison an appreciation for basketball he never would have had with a healthy body. He's not thinking contracts or playing time or the overabundance of wing players on the Bobcats. “I simply want to play basketball again,” Morrison said. “I miss it.”

He's had time to miss it. First it was two weeks of bed rest, following the November surgery. Then it was the incessant rehab, which started with a kind of torture machine that flexed his knee for nine hours a day.

Morrison couldn't stand the monotony, so he hooked it up at night, trying somehow to sleep through the movement, noise and pain.

“It's one of the worst things,” he recalled, “just constant motion the whole night to break up the scar tissue.”

Then came the strength-and-stretching exercises and running in a swimming pool to lower the impact on an injured joint. In between, he'd attend home games, trying to stay a part of the circle without ever pulling on a uniform.

He'd sit with power forward Sean May – also out for the season with knee surgery – and try to be a cheerleader. He and May could have made a difference if healthy.

“I think we were last in the league in bench scoring,” Morrison said. “Sean and I each could have scored at least 10 points a game. That would have taken some pressure off of Jason (Richardson) and Gerald (Wallace).”

And now?

“Try to keep the same approach,” Morrison said. “I honestly believe I have a solid role here.”

Source: Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/bobcats/story/703861.html)

GOODLUCKDONNIE
07-08-2008, 03:07 PM
wioooooooo

IversonIsKrazy
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Raptors Get:
Gerald Wallace

Bobcats Get:
Andrea Bargnani
Carlos Delfino(S&T)
2010 First Rounder

DerekRE_3
07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
There's a trade idea thread.

JakeDelbreezy
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Source
Rotoworld.com
updated 3:48 p.m. ET, Thurs., July. 10, 2008

Clips after Smith and Okafor
Now that the confounded Clippers lost Elton Brand, the team is apparently all over two restricted free agents: Atlanta's Josh Smith and Charlotte's Emeka Okafor. Smith and one of his agents chowed down recently with Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy, while Okafor has only ranked a phone call so far. (Los Angeles Times)

JakeDelbreezy
07-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Cavs Looking to Get LeBron Help: Don't fault the Cleveland Cavaliers for not trying to find LeBron James some help. There's a lot of names that the Cavs have been rumored to have contacted, including dynamic scorers Corey Maggette and Monta Ellis. The team has also looked into a possible deal with James Posey, who was born in Cleveland and played high school ball about 30 miles south of The Forest City. In addition to hoping to keep their own free agent point guard, Delonte West and Daniel Gibson, the Cavs have been rumored to be looking into a possible deal for Charlotte Bobcats' point guard Raymond Felton. A lot is going on with the Cavaliers as far as possible upgrades go and with an owner willing to pay the luxury tax, there are plenty of possibilities for Cleveland.

Source Hoops World

DerekRE_3
07-11-2008, 12:44 AM
If you want to wrap the article it in quotes, highlight the whole article after you copy and paste it into the reply box, and then you'll see a quote button to the right of the the font button. It's next to the insert images button.

Oh and one other thing, it's great that you posted the source but if you just copy and paste the link that would be great.

Just letting you know since you are a new member. Thanks for the links/articles.

homestarunner93
07-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Glad to have a good poster like JakeDelbreezy in here. Maybe he can increase our number of forum regulars to three! :D

DerekRE_3
07-11-2008, 02:39 AM
Glad to have a good poster like JakeDelbreezy in here. Maybe he can increase our number of forum regulars to three! :D

Yeah I know. He's been great. Which is why I'm giving him some tips so he can be ever better.

JakeDelbreezy
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
If you want to wrap the article it in quotes, highlight the whole article after you copy and paste it into the reply box, and then you'll see a quote button to the right of the the font button. It's next to the insert images button.

Oh and one other thing, it's great that you posted the source but if you just copy and paste the link that would be great.

Just letting you know since you are a new member. Thanks for the links/articles.

Will do going forward...thanks for the Tips...

JakeDelbreezy
07-11-2008, 10:09 AM
With Wright, Hendrix, and Jackson splitting up most of the time for the team at the power forward spot, the team will look into trade options for Harrington, who had reportedly considered asking for a trade. Sources told HOOPSWORLD that Harrington's value plummeted this season, as he was unable to establish himself as anything but an outside shooter, but teams looking for a stop gap power forward may be interested (Harrington's deal expires in 2010, but he has an option to end it a year earlier if he chooses).

Harrington's name has been linked to the Detroit Pistons, but no offers have been made from either side. The team is expected to explore their options for a Harrington trade later this week. Some potential suitors could be the Milwaukee Bucks and Charlotte Bobcats, who desperately need a starting power forward, and Oklahoma City's franchise, who may be looking to deal Luke Ridnour.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9408

JakeDelbreezy
07-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Charlotte Bobcats Team Report

Just maybe, Emeka Okafor gained some leverage as a restricted free agent this week.
First, Elton Brand chose to leave the Los Angeles Clippers for the Philadelphia 76ers, leaving a hole at power forward and an abundance of salary-cap space behind for his former team. Then it was reported Milwaukee Bucks center Andrew Bogut will sign a five-year, $72.5 million extension with his current team.

The offer Okafor turned down last summer — more than $12 million a season — looked generous on the Bobcats' part. However, Bogut's average annual salary — $14.5 million — trumps what looked like a fair price for Okafor and they look like comparable big men. (About $60 million of Bogut's contract is guaranteed.)

The Bobcats still have great control because Okafor is a restricted free agent. That would allow them to match another team's offer, and reduces the bidders. But it's quite possible Okafor would sign the one-year qualifying offer (about $7 million next season) to become an unrestricted free agent in July 2009.

As Brand's escape from Los Angeles to Philadelphia illustrated, reaching unrestricted free agent shifts the power back to the player.

NOTES, QUOTES

—Several Bobcats veterans (Raymond Felton, Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace and Sean May) planned to show up at summer league practices. Part of the attraction is some face time with their new coach, Larry Brown, but surely it didn't hurt that the Bobcats are holding practice in Las Vegas, a Mecca to professional athletes. The Bobcats switched from Orlando to Las Vegas for summer league.

—Head coach Larry Brown completed his staff by hiring his brother, Herb, a longtime NBA assistant. The roster lists former NBA C LaSalle Thompson as the team's strength and conditioning coach. Thompson is handling those responsibilities and more, working on-court with the Bobcats' big men.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I should have grown up more than I did. I let stuff bother me, and I've learned to let it slide." — Bobcats F Adam Morrison, to the Charlotte Observer, on his self-conscious rookie season two years ago.

ROSTER REPORT

DRAFT PICKS: D.J. Augustin, G, 6-0, Texas — Undersized, pass-first point guard who'll serve as a contrast to incumbent Raymond Felton.

Alexis Ajinca, C 7-0, French pro — Raw, long-limbed athlete who figures to be a long-term project inside.

Kyle Weaver, G 6-6, Washington State — Above-average defender at shooting guard who needs to become a better shooter.

FREE AGENT FOCUS: The major focus is obviously on Emeka Okafor, who becomes a restricted free agent after turning down a long-term contract extension before this season. Okafor already turned down over $12 million a season, and though he says he wants to remain here long-term, it wouldn't be shocking if he signed a one-year qualifying offer to reach unrestricted free agency in July of 2009.

Ryan Hollins, Derek Anderson and Boykins are also free agents and the Bobcats didn't exercise a team option on Othella Harrington for next season. Of those four, restricted free agent Hollins — a young, athletic, but unpolished, big man — seems the most likely to return to the Bobcats.

PLAYER NOTES:

—F Adam Morrison (left knee surgery) is participating in drills at summer-league practice, but will be held out of scrimmages and games. He hopes to be fully cleared by September.

—F Sean May (micro-fracture surgery on his right knee) has medical clearance to play, but plans to wait until late July before scrimmaging.

—Restricted free agent C Ryan Hollins suffered a mild concussion during a summer practice in Las Vegas. Hollins collided with teammate Mustafa Shakur while chasing a loose ball. Hollins needed six stitches to close a cut along his right temple. Hollins will likely sign a one-year qualifying offer to return to the Bobcats next season.

—The Bobcats love the athleticism demonstrated by 7-2 rookie C Alexis Ajinca, but it's obvious he has a lot of basketball to learn before he's NBA-ready.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/bobcats/notes.htm

DerekRE_3
07-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Nice work right there. I was worried I gave you terrible directions on how to do it.

JakeDelbreezy
07-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Associated Press

Updated: July 9, 2008, 5:13 AM ET
Email
Print
LAS VEGAS -- Adam Morrison still has the shaggy, long hair, but it's wrapped in a ponytail. He still has the signature thin mustache, but now it's connected to a scraggly goatee.

Yet after major knee surgery, Morrison was most proud of his wardrobe change Tuesday. He finally shed the blazers he wore while sitting at the end of the bench last season for shorts and a jersey for the start of the Charlotte Bobcats' summer minicamp.

"It felt good to be out here and be a basketball player again," Morrison said.

Morrison isn't completely back from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in his left knee in an exhibition game on Oct. 20. He didn't participate in contact drills in new coach Larry Brown's first workout. He won't play in the team's summer league games starting Saturday. Brown targeted Labor Day for when Morrison will be without limitations.

And Morrison has a long way to go to disprove the critics who contend Bobcats managing partner Michael Jordan made a bad decision taking him with the third pick in the 2006 draft.

"He's got a high basketball IQ. He's a gym rat, which I love," Brown said after watching Morrison consistently hit jumpers in drills at UNLV's Cox Pavilion. "We have just got to coach him up."

Morrison's role is one of the many issues Brown must tackle as he begins his record ninth NBA head coaching job. Morrison averaged 11.8 points as a rookie in 2006-07, but the former Gonzaga star shot just 38 percent, struggled defensively and acknowledged he felt enormous pressure from fans after Jordan selected him ahead of Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay.

Morrison was more relaxed in the preseason last year before he felt his knee pop while playing defense against the Los Angeles Lakers, wiping out his season.

"I had a good camp and felt comfortable with what my role was going to be," Morrison said. "It was disappointing. It was boring. Going to games and stuff, it's fun supporting your teammates, but it's tough knowing you're not going to have a chance to play any time soon."

With fellow wing players Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace, Matt Carroll and Jared Dudley, Morrison faces plenty of competition for playing time. Plus, Morrison's biggest weakness, defense, is one of Brown's top priorities.

Before flying to Las Vegas, Morrison spent nearly every day rehabbing his knee at the team's training center. He said he feels little pain, but is still fighting the psychological effect. Despite having diabetes, Morrison never missed a game in high school or college and played in 78 of 82 games as an NBA rookie.

"That's the biggest thing for me, to trust the knee," Morrison said. "It's healthy, it's there. The doctors did a great job, I rehabbed right. It's just all up here."

Morrison pointed to his head, which is perhaps where Brown has been aiming, too. When Brown was introduced as coach in April, he was asked if he had met any players. He listed a few names before bringing up Morrison.

"And the kid with the long hair, I didn't know his name," Brown deadpanned. "He wasn't dressed like a basketball player."

Brown didn't mention the hair Tuesday, but did comment on Morrison's slim physique, compounded by the time spent on crutches following surgery.

"He even got a little calf muscle now," said Brown, who shouted instructions and criticism in his first full practice since getting fired by the New York Knicks in 2006. "When I first saw him, he had none."

Sounds like Morrison has some work to do to win over the Hall of Fame coach.

"He's got a great basketball mind and he loves to teach," Morrison said. "That just plays right into the hands of a young team. I think that's something we need -- somebody to teach. I think it's going to be great for us."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Presshttp://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=3479453&section=nba

JakeDelbreezy
07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
2008-09 NBA Rookie Class: Top 50
By David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.2008-09 NBA Rookie Class: Top 50
RK Player TM Age POS G MIN FG% 3FG% FT% STL BLK AST REB PTS PER

13 D.J. Augustin CHA 20 PG Analysis: Very crafty with his pace, changing on the speed dribble

37 Alexis Ajinca CHA 20 C Analysis: A raw talent, Ajinca will probably spend the season in the D-league

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/rookies/rankings?season=2009&playerRankingType=1&period=1&set=3

AMC31
07-17-2008, 07:01 PM
The possibility of Francisco Elson returning to the Nuggets increased dramatically following the Marcus Camby trade. Oklahoma City, Charlotte, New Jersey, and possibly the Lakers are also interested in Elson

r e a l gm wiretap news

homestarunner93
07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Link would be nice...

AMC31
07-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Link would be nice...

srry r e a l gm links arent aloud on here, idk why

JakeDelbreezy
07-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Denver Nuggets Updated:07/17/2008
The Denver Post reports that the Nuggets are interested in bringing back former Nugget Francisco Elson. Elson's agent told the paper that Oklahoma City, Charlotte, New Jersey are also interested in his client, along with possibly the Lakers.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/NBA_SC-RUMOR

JakeDelbreezy
07-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Link would be nice...

I put a story and link from CBS sports about Elson in the off-season thread before I even read this thread..

JakeDelbreezy
07-17-2008, 09:55 PM
May still in Brown's plans
It sounds like the Bobcats’ new coach hasn’t written off Sean May the way so many fans have.

Following practice Tuesday, Larry Brown talked about the importance of open competition in training camp – the idea that contracts won’t determine who he starts or who he plays.

As an aside, Brown acknowledged that certain players – incumbent starters Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace, Raymond Felton and (assuming he re-signs) Emeka Okafor – would likely still be the core. Then Brown said May fits in that group "if healthy."

Of course that’s one of the biggest "ifs" the Bobcats face: Chronic knee problems have limited May to 58 of a possible 246 games with the Bobcats.

May is perennially optimistic, but believes this micro-fracture surgery has succeeded. And while he’ll never be slim, he looked as lean as I’ve seen him since the Bobcats drafted him the summer of 2005.

Assuming no trades are on the horizon (and I assume there will be some kind of trade between now and October), May needs to get a shot at starting. He can rebound and score in the post, and what do the Bobcats need more than boards and layups?

They can’t keep playing Wallace at power forward and Nazr Mohammed and Okafor don’t play as well together as they do subbing for each other.

That means unless Jermareo Davidson is far more ready than I believe, May gets every chance in camp, pretty much by default.

The Bobcats are paying May $2.66 million this season before he becomes a restricted free agent. It’s time to settle definitively whether he can help them.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2008/07/may-still-in-br.html

Beno7500
09-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Real Gm isn't allowed because it is a rival site.

jimbobjarree
10-10-2008, 10:33 AM
so.....G Force thinks he can pull off the dreads.

I'm not so convinced

DerekRE_3
10-10-2008, 01:13 PM
so.....G Force thinks he can pull off the dreads.

I'm not so convinced

Jimbob!!! One of my favorite Jazz fans visited the Bobcats forum! This makes my day.

And Gerald can pull of whatever he damn well pleases. :smoking:

jimbobjarree
10-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Jimbob!!! One of my favorite Jazz fans visited the Bobcats forum! This makes my day.

And Gerald can pull of whatever he damn well pleases. :smoking:

ahhh, one of your favorite Jazz fans aye...looks like me and booznmuse must dual it out for your love.

speak of the devil, where has he been of recent time?

and Gerald's new hair is dreadly

DerekRE_3
10-10-2008, 10:59 PM
ahhh, one of your favorite Jazz fans aye...looks like me and booznmuse must dual it out for your love.

speak of the devil, where has he been of recent time?

and Gerald's new hair is dreadly

He's started volleyball at Pepperdine. He's probably busy with that. They have tournaments in Canada and random things like that.

jimbobjarree
10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
lame, he was showing some potential in our forum...

so the Bobcats lost again last night eh, you guys worried or taking it with a pinch of salt?

Del boy, did you hear TP on the radio last night?

DerekRE_3
10-11-2008, 06:52 PM
lame, he was showing some potential in our forum...

so the Bobcats lost again last night eh, you guys worried or taking it with a pinch of salt?

Del boy, did you hear TP on the radio last night?

Haha yeah. His voice is so southern. Gotta love that drawl.

jimbobjarree
10-12-2008, 09:44 AM
did you ring in at any time, I clicked the button to call in so I didnt get the 5 minute lag and TP kept patching me through....muppet.

but I'd definatly talk if it was a few hours earlier, like 2am latest (this show started at 4am my time)

DerekRE_3
10-12-2008, 01:07 PM
did you ring in at any time, I clicked the button to call in so I didnt get the 5 minute lag and TP kept patching me through....muppet.

but I'd definatly talk if it was a few hours earlier, like 2am latest (this show started at 4am my time)

I didn't have the chance to call in last night. I want to but I was busy.

jimbobjarree
10-12-2008, 04:51 PM
lame excuse

king4day
10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Hey Guys, I thought them drafting Ajinca was a mistake since he'd probably not be in the NBA this year. I looked at the box from the game against the Hawks and it shows he played.
Is he in their plans for this year?

Also, since I live in Charlotte, that's really the only team I get to see live (aside from the drive to Atlanta to see the Suns play the Hawks once a year). Whats your take on how they're looking or what the talk is about what they might do this year?

homestarunner93
10-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Hey Guys, I thought them drafting Ajinca was a mistake since he'd probably not be in the NBA this year. I looked at the box from the game against the Hawks and it shows he played.
Is he in their plans for this year?

Also, since I live in Charlotte, that's really the only team I get to see live (aside from the drive to Atlanta to see the Suns play the Hawks once a year). Whats your take on how they're looking or what the talk is about what they might do this year?

Ajinca will be in the NBA this year. The Bobcats bought out his contract from his French team.

jimbobjarree
10-16-2008, 07:22 PM
some videos to wet your appetite for the new season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswzT4BiGf0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vdEpdnxWPU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vdEpdnxWPU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikMq_IVy6Bw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CAe80OwMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO815gf252g

enjoy my bobcats amigos