PDA

View Full Version : Teixeira on trading block?

Brave4life
07-08-2008, 01:41 PM
MLB.com's Mark Bowman believes the Braves will shop Mark Teixeira if they decide they can't contend. They're currently six games out.

WHAT WOULD YOUR TEAM GIVE UP FOR THIS KIND OF PLAYER?

The Schmooze
07-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I think they should. I dont really see them having a chance to re-sign him anyway. Maybe trade him for some arms

kyubi256
07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
I have no idea who'd have the necessary pieces to get him...

Brendan
07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Dont trade him and let the O's get him in the offseason

mantlefan07
07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
The Yankees should trade for starting pitching if they make any deals which BTW it doesn't seem like they will before the deadline.:mad:

nwilfan
07-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Who in contention needs a 1B or if AL possibly DH I suppose? Then what pieces do they have that match up with Braves?

I'm thinking they are going to have to hope he qualifies as a type A/B free agent (I'm sure he does) and take the picks.

Brendan
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Whoever gets him is only going to have him for the rest of this year like the Brewers and CC cuz he is going to Baltimore in the offseason

City of Angels
07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Whoever gets him is only going to have him for the rest of this year like the Brewers and CC cuz he is going to Baltimore in the offseason

what???why would he go to baltimore??if anything hell go to the rich yankees and get overpaid like giambi did years ago.

kyubi256
07-08-2008, 02:18 PM
yeah why would he go to Baltimore?

Brendan
07-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Because he is from MD and his dream as a kid has always been to play for his hometown team. And he said last year when he was on the trading block with the Rangers that he would love to play for the Orioles. With the Orioles having young guys like Markakis and Jones and great talents like Brian Roberts and Luke Scott, Tex would be a great player to add to take Milar's spot at 1B.

koldjerky
07-08-2008, 02:19 PM
he's a baltimore native and has stated he'd like to play there.

quiksilver2491
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
yeah why would he go to Baltimore?

He is from the Baltimore area and has expressed interest in playing there in the future. I wouldn't say that's his most likely destination but its up there.

Brendan
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Exactly. And like i said with up and coming stars in Nick Markakis and Adam Jones, with very good bats at the top and middle in Brian Roberts and Luke Scott, and a farm system STACKED with pitching prospects, he would be a GREAT piece to add

dcannon456
07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Who in contention needs a 1B or if AL possibly DH I suppose? Then what pieces do they have that match up with Braves?

I'm thinking they are going to have to hope he qualifies as a type A/B free agent (I'm sure he does) and take the picks.

using him as a DH is a waste of half his talent! maybe try him in the OF if anything. hes got a long time before the category of tired old vet hanging around in the DH spot

The A Team
07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Because he is from MD and his dream as a kid has always been to play for his hometown team. And he said last year when he was on the trading block with the Rangers that he would love to play for the Orioles. With the Orioles having young guys like Markakis and Jones and great talents like Brian Roberts and Luke Scott, Tex would be a great player to add to take Milar's spot at 1B.

Since when has Luke Scott been a 'great talent'. Let's not get carried away.

Anyway, there's a couple contenders that might want to think about a 1B. The Red Sox could potentially decide to go after him in case Ortiz can't get healthy. You can sit Youk/Lowell if and when Ortiz returns. This scenario would require a set back in Ortiz's current rehab schedule though. The Angels might want to upgrade over Kotchman, although he's done an adequate job for them this season. The Dodgers and D-Backs might have some interest in him for a 1 year run, although Loney's done a fine job for LA. The D-Backs look to be the best match. Tex would probably be a downgrade for the 3 central teams in the race and it's unlikely they'll get an offer for him from a divisional rival like the Mets (although they could sure use him...).

nwilfan
07-08-2008, 03:46 PM
using him as a DH is a waste of half his talent!

I agree 100%. I was just throwing that out there that he's basically a first baseman and that someone could pick him up to be a 1B/DH if you really wanted him.

The Schmooze
07-08-2008, 04:00 PM
this whole Baltimore thing is media garbage IMO

sniglewhat
07-08-2008, 04:02 PM
im praying for ortiz to slip and fall on his wrist. I would love to take some of the redsox' prospects off their hands.

bagwell368
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree 100%. I was just throwing that out there that he's basically a first baseman and that someone could pick him up to be a 1B/DH if you really wanted him.

About 4% of a first baseman's value is derived playing defense. About 93.5 is hitting, the rest is baserunning.

berserker74
07-08-2008, 04:20 PM
not to much considering he's a free agent at the end of the year. i would take him over delgado right now, but not at to high of a cost if it means i only get him for 3 months.

if i was able to work out an extension, then i would definitely consider it though because the mets will need a first baseman next year definitely. but if there was no extension possible, then forget it. i will just take my chances in free agency!

Humongo
07-08-2008, 04:24 PM
About 4% of a first baseman's value is derived playing defense. About 93.5 is hitting, the rest is baserunning.

How/Where did you come up with these numbers?

yankees932
07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
When other teams throw more money at Tex he will forget Baltimore. I am sorry Brendan but money does the talking. If the Yankees get into the bidding, forget about him in Baltimore.

yankees932
07-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Berserker, there is no way in hell Atlanta trades Tex to someone in their own division.

ugafan
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah the mets have absolutely no chance.

Brendan
07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
When other teams throw more money at Tex he will forget Baltimore. I am sorry Brendan but money does the talking. If the Yankees get into the bidding, forget about him in Baltimore.

I completely disagree. You guys forget that the Orioles have money. They dont offer money like the Yankees but they have money. They were very close to getting guys like Paul Konerko, but the team being very bad is what makes FA's sign elsewhere. If the O's offered a nice contract Tex would come to Baltimore because they will offer money...