PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round 2009 Draft...WOW!!! Ideas???

Where's KG?
07-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Minnesota receives Boston's 2009 1st Round Pick as part of the Kevin Garnett trade

Minnesota receives Miami's 2009 1st Round Pick (Top 10 Protected) as part of the Ricky Davis trade.

Plus our own 1st round pick.

And it sounds as if now we will be getting Philly's 1st rounder as well...

Has any team ever had 4 picks in the 1st round?

And what exactly do we do with them all?

Preuss-is-right
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Package them for KG? :rolleyes:

WSU Tony
07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I can't imagine we're going to draft 4 first round guys (if we get all the picks) and 3 second round guys. We'll prolly end up packaging them with a player for someone. Does anyone really think the Wolves will draft 7 guys in 09?

I'm happy we have tons of resources to use to help build the team! Nothing would be worse than to have our team and no help in the short term future to add talent. I'm pretty excited.

thesparky33
07-08-2008, 02:14 PM
We most likely wont have 4 1st rounders next year...

- 2009 Boston: We'll more than likely have this one, because there is no way that Boston is missing the playoffs unless a major injury or event occurs into which either Pierce or Garnett cannot play...

- 2009 Miami: We arent sure if we'll get this one, because I believe it is lottery protected, and although Miami will be improved, I dont think they are a lock for a playoff spot just yet...

- 2009 Wolves: We arent sure if we are going to keep this or give it up to the Clippers. I sure hope we lose it this year, cuz I hope we can see some improvement...

- 2009 Philly pick: We dont know if this is Philly's pick or if its the one the acquired from Utah, so that will factor in us having it or not. If its lottery protected and from Philly, they might still hold on to it for a while cuz the East will be tougher with Miami and Chicago getting better and back into their old shapes...

Where's KG?
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
The Miami pick is only top 10 protected, I believe we will get that. And if the other pick is Utah's thru Philly, we will definitely get that. There actually is an excellent chance we end up with 4.

TrueFan23
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Package them for KG? :rolleyes:

sounds about right

Mochalman
07-08-2008, 03:59 PM
trade the picks for a top 3 pick?

WSU Tony
07-08-2008, 04:02 PM
We'll determine what we need based on how the season goes and then we'll make some moves. As far as us drafting with every one of our 1st rounders I think it's a long shot. We'll prolly either trade picks, McCants, or some combination of both for a player or to move up in the draft. Us drafting 7 players (4 1st rounders and 3 2nd rounders IF it works out that way) is very unlikely. Us even having 7 picks seems unlikely at this point. (And to think, some teams only have 2 picks!)

Mochalman
07-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree with the trading...

either do a package deal with a pick or two for a top 10 pick and draft Jrue Holiday. Then do another package deal with some more of the picks and a player for Hasheem Thabeet or B. J. Mullens

WSU Tony
07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I agree with the trading...

either do a package deal with a pick or two for a top 10 pick and draft Jrue Holiday. Then do another package deal with some more of the picks and a player for Hasheem Thabeet or B. J. Mullens

We'll wait for a while till we have more information before we start making guesses/proposals on who we're drafting in 50+ weeks from now.

jgonboricua
07-08-2008, 05:49 PM
too bad next years draft is supposed to be the weakest draft in years....wouold of been good to have 4 first round picks this year

Mauersota
07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
We'll wait for a while till we have more information before we start making guesses/proposals on who we're drafting in 50+ weeks from now.

RICKY RUBIO IN 09 BABY!!!

tcman2007
07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
RICKY RUBIO IN 09 BABY!!!

Yes! I'm a big Ricky Rubio fan. There is some doubt that he'll enter the '09 draft, though.

boeknows
07-09-2008, 01:00 AM
I dont know where u guys keep saying its 7 picks.

1. we dont know if the Philly pick is even for this next year. Its a future 1st rounder so untill it becomes official we have no clue.

2. We also gave them back a 2nd rounder in the deal. So im assuming that both of the picks are going to be in the same year

3. We owe Detroit our 2nd rounder this next year. We owed them it in the Ronald Dupree trade we made with them a couple years ago.

Preuss-is-right
07-09-2008, 01:02 AM

Nah its never to early for speculation. I'm pretty confident that we'll have 2/4 1st rounders by the end of August. I dont think it will take too long before the trade is made. Worst case senerio is that we have it until the deadline but even then it could be a good thing, maybe by then there will be more hype around next years draft crop.

arb
07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
hope fully we move around cuz the next draft class is weak compared to this one

tcman2007
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM

I like how you try to decide what everyone else will/should do. Speculation is fun. We started speculating on who the Wolves would take # 1 before the Draft Lottery. Why not start talking about the '09 draft? It's only in fun.

I'm on the Ricky Rubio bandwagon. I really like this guy. I've not seen him play a whole game, but I've watched every clip of him on Youtube, and he's really fun to watch.

And there's always DeMar DeRozan. A lot of people are wondering if he'll have as big of an impact as OJ Mayo had last year at USC. It should be interesting to watch.

WSU Tony
07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I like how you try to decide what everyone else will/should do. Speculation is fun. We started speculating on who the Wolves would take # 1 before the Draft Lottery. Why not start talking about the '09 draft? It's only in fun.

Since when am I deciding what people can and can't do? I think it's foolish to talk about who we should draft when we're nearly a year away, don't know how the kids will play this upcoming season, don't know fully what our team needs will be. Speculation is fun, yeah, but you should have some sort of basis behind it, I guess, and I don't feel we have even close to enough information to seriously think about next year's draft. You're getting nit picky if you think I'm trying to tell people what they can or can't say because I find it foolish to talk about when the last draft is only weeks old, that's totally different. (Just like saying Telfair shouldn't get a 4 year contract is different than me "giving up" on him.)

Yeah, we started talking about who to get before the draft lottery, when your only weeks / a few months away and you have seen the kids play in college its a bit different, ya know?

We have a whole year of basketball to watch and should look for this year and development of players before we look at next year, right? I guess that's the mentality I have.

tcman2007
07-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Since when am I deciding what people can and can't do? I think it's foolish to talk about who we should draft when we're nearly a year away, don't know how the kids will play this upcoming season, don't know fully what our team needs will be. Speculation is fun, yeah, but you should have some sort of basis behind it, I guess, and I don't feel we have even close to enough information to seriously think about next year's draft. You're getting nit picky if you think I'm trying to tell people what they can or can't say because I find it foolish to talk about when the last draft is only weeks old, that's totally different. (Just like saying Telfair shouldn't get a 4 year contract is different than me "giving up" on him.)

Yeah, we started talking about who to get before the draft lottery, when your only weeks / a few months away and you have seen the kids play in college its a bit different, ya know?

We have a whole year of basketball to watch and should look for this year and development of players before we look at next year, right? I guess that's the mentality I have.

LOL. Forget it, Tony. I was just making an observation. It's always "let's do this" and "let's do that". But let's not get off-topic.

Why is it that we don't hear a lot about Greg Monroe in the 2009 draft? How do you guys think he'll do this season? Is he a "one-and-done"? I've not heard.

Tell me what you guys think about Ricky Rubio. I'm interested to hear what people say. Also, how well do you think Brandon Jennings will do in Europe?

Mauersota
07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I am actually not a huge Ricky Rubio fan. He has some mechanical issues in his shot but then again he is young at like 17 so that can always be changed. All in all I would take him as of now.

tcman2007
07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I am actually not a huge Ricky Rubio fan. He has some mechanical issues in his shot but then again he is young at like 17 or something I just know he is younger then me so that can always be changed. All in all I would take him as of now.

Y'see, it'll be interesting if he enters. If you're a Wolves fan, it may be a good thing that he enters this year. If he's is still under contract in Europe for another year, he'll slide in the draft much like Serge Ibaka did. Maybe that'll give the Wolves a much better chance of getting him.

What impresses me about him is his knack for getting steals and his passing ability (from what I've seen). He has a reputation of being a "chess-minded" basketball player. That is, he thinks 3 moves ahead of his opponets. If the Wolves are building an identity, it could be one of basketball IQ over pure atheleticism. IMO, you put Kevin Love under that banner. He is atheletically gifted, but his IQ is his main calling-card, IMO. Rubio fits under that banner as well. Rubio's strength, from what I've read, is his biggest question mark. He is good-sized, though. He's 6'4"--that's a pretty good size. He just needs to put on muscle.

cwilson21
07-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I also heard Rubio is a hot-shot and that he believes he should get all of the calls-type of guy.

Mauersota
07-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I also heard Rubio is a hot-shot and that he believes he should get all of the calls-type of guy.

Yeah that sounds familiar too.

Rubio has some big holes but he also has a lot of superb attributes.

boeknows
07-10-2008, 03:22 AM
I honestly wont know anything about any of these guys till college basketball starts up again. Most of the guys u have been talking about i have never even heard of. But then again i dont get into a whole lot of high school basketball. I assume they are seniors this year i guess. Someone tell me if im wrong.

Mauersota
07-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I honestly wont know anything about any of these guys till college basketball starts up again. Most of the guys u have been talking about i have never even heard of. But then again i dont get into a whole lot of high school basketball. I assume they are seniors this year i guess. Someone tell me if im wrong.

Rubio is a euro.
Mullins will be freshman this year I believe
Griffin I believe will be Soph
DeRozan will be fresh

Those are as of now believed to be some of the top talents next year though Rubio may not come over.

tcman2007
07-10-2008, 03:04 PM

Here are some links on some of these guys:

http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/blakegriffin.html
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/rickyrubio.html
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/bjmullens.html
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/demarderozan.html
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/al-farouqaminu.html

These are the early predictions who will be on top of the 2009 Draft. Obviously, there is a long time to go, but chances are that at least one of these guys will be near the top of the list.

boeknows
07-10-2008, 07:27 PM
I guess i have heard a little bit about Rubio before and i know who Blake Griffin is. But all the new freshman i dont know anything about. Personally i dont think we would draft Griffin either after getting Love this year. But i guess u never know.

Thanks for helping me out with the other guys though. I guess i still wont be able to form an opinion on them until i get to see them in action.

boeknows
07-11-2008, 04:17 AM
Since we are talking about this here are a list of guys i could see go in the first round next year who were already known this last year.....

Chase Buddinger-----Arizona---------SG/SF
Wayne Ellington-------UNC-----------SG
Danny Green---------UNC------------SG/SF
Lestar Hudson--------Tenn Martin------PG/SG
Ty Lawson----------UNC-------------PG
Jeremy Pargo-------Gonzaga---------PG/SG
John Riek-----------------------------C
Josh Shipp------------UCLA----------SG
Ronald Steele--------Alabama--------PG
Darren Collison---------UCLA---------PG
Hasheen Thabeet-------Uconn--------C
AJ Price---------------Uconn---------PG
Tyrese Rice-------Boston College-----PG
Rodigue Braubois------France---------PG
Tyler Smith-----------Tenn----------SF
Andrew Ogilvy----------Vandy--------C

I think some of these guys will surprise a lot of people this year too and vault themselves into the first round.

Kyben36
07-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Miami will not be top 10.

boeknows
07-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Miami will not be top 10.

Thats what people were thinking last year too.

the_watcher
07-12-2008, 01:11 AM
We most likely wont have 4 1st rounders next year...

- 2009 Boston: We'll more than likely have this one, because there is no way that Boston is missing the playoffs unless a major injury or event occurs into which either Pierce or Garnett cannot play...

- 2009 Miami: We arent sure if we'll get this one, because I believe it is lottery protected, and although Miami will be improved, I dont think they are a lock for a playoff spot just yet...

- 2009 Wolves: We arent sure if we are going to keep this or give it up to the Clippers. I sure hope we lose it this year, cuz I hope we can see some improvement...

- 2009 Philly pick: We dont know if this is Philly's pick or if its the one the acquired from Utah, so that will factor in us having it or not. If its lottery protected and from Philly, they might still hold on to it for a while cuz the East will be tougher with Miami and Chicago getting better and back into their old shapes...

I'm not sure if anyone has posted it yet, or if you've found out already... but McHale did confirm that the pick we got from Philly is actually the Utah pick.

Just an FYI in case... :)

WSU Tony
07-12-2008, 02:10 AM
Thats what people were thinking last year too.

Yeah, but to be honest, if Miami didn't tank on purpose they could have been.

boeknows
07-12-2008, 03:12 AM
Yeah, but to be honest, if Miami didn't tank on purpose they could have been.

In order for them to get outside the top 10 pick they would have had to win over 20 more games. Even with them tanking i dont think they would have pulled off that many wins.

WSU Tony
07-12-2008, 12:22 PM
In order for them to get outside the top 10 pick they would have had to win over 20 more games. Even with them tanking i dont think they would have pulled off that many wins.

I guess I didn't realize the gap was that big, wow.

WSUJJ
07-13-2008, 11:20 PM
How about Tyler kid from NC?

WSU Tony
07-14-2008, 12:21 AM

Hansbrough?

badkins1121
07-14-2008, 02:02 AM

no, he is going to be just a role player his whole career

WSU Tony
07-14-2008, 10:01 AM
no, he is going to be just a role player his whole career

The typical dominating college player but not cut for the pros?

Reminds me of that great Duke shooter who's got nothing but complaints because he's not getting playing time.....

badkins1121
07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
yeah i think he is going to be like a Mark Madsen/Craig Smith/Chris Richards type of player in the NBA