PDA

View Full Version : Rate Derrick Rose's Summer League Performance

Vincent
07-08-2008, 11:24 AM
"Oh no!!! We drafted the wrong player!"
"Derrick Rose SUCKS"
"Such a dissapointment"
"Why did we draft him over BEASTley?"

These sentiments can be heard all over Chicagoland, after a SUMMERLEAGUE game. No wonder it's so hard to play in such a great city like this one. People freak out WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much.

Hooooooooold on a second

I think a lot of you are missing the big picture.

Derrick Rose is a PG, if he had scored 28 points and had one assist, people would've dismissed him as a selfish Iverson/Francis/Marbury clone.
But he didn't, instead he tried to pick and choose spots while getting his teamates involved. Again, we must realize that the front court let Rose down, with their missed shots and overall poor defense on Beasley.

Let analyze a few major pointers -

Mario Chalmers has experience guarding DR1. He played him REALLY good to begin the game, and I think that says a lot about Chalmer's defense and his longevity in the league.

DR1 had 2 points going into the half, going 1-3. Yet, in the 7 mins in the second half that he did play, he put up 8 points, while aggressively attacking the basket. This kid can score, he just needs more confidence.

Not to make excuses but, I think he would've had more points if he had finished on a few more drives and converted on a few more free throws *4-8*(an area that we already knew he needed to improve on). Don't forget we're dealing with a 19 year old kid here, he was probably nervous to begin the game, and deffered to his teamates while playing for the most part passive.

8 free throw attempts in a 40 minute game is spectacular for a Point Guard. Last year, Luol Deng and Ben Gordon averaged the most FT attempts at 4.2 and 4.1 attempt per game, on a Bulls team which ranked at the bottom half of the league in FT attempts per game @ 24.7. On another note, the highest number of attempts from a PG came from Billups at 5.4 per game.

Derrick Rose has another gear. Watching him seems to defy the laws of physics. This kid can go-and-stop effortlessly. This is especially important, because many players have speed (Barbosa, Parker, Ellis), but not many players can stop at a drop and make a decision. Rose's ability to control his body at high speeds will give him oppritunities to make the correct pass, or (with his already strong upbody) breathtaking finishes. Only two other players truly possess this ability, Nash and Paul. That's some really good company.

Overall, I grade DR1's performance a C-, I think he got a lot more flak than he deserved. He definitely showed flashes on why he's the number 1 pick. I think if Beasley didn't play so good (which he did, no questions asked), people wouldn't have been so hard on DR1. But like all the great stars, he's his own harshest critic...

“We didn’t win,” Rose said, “so I think I played horrible. But tomorrow’s a new day.”

That's a promising response. It shows how mature DR1 is, he knows that his performance is not going to be based on his stats, but rather on a W or L. That is a mark of a true champion my friends.

On the otherhand,

“Could have played better,” he (Beasley) said. “Could have got a couple more assists, made a couple extra passes, got a couple more rebounds, could have got a couple stops early on.”

Beasley's a stat machine and he knows it. It doesn't make him a selfish player by ANY means, but it does show the stark contrast between characters in Rose and Beasley, which is a MAJOR reason why the Bulls selected Rose with the first pick.

But, it's good to see so many people so excited about Chicago Bulls basketball again. Really can't wait until Pre-season starts, to see him jell with the regulars.

I was wondering if ya'll saw the same things that I did.

ChitownbullsBG7
07-08-2008, 11:25 AM
wow

King Koopa
07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Its going to be ok, after all it was his first game. Beside theres not really anyone good to pass it too in that roster of summer leaguers. Thats the reason he has to shoot a lot more. Beasley doesnt really have anyone good on his team besides Mario, so he took over, which is what rose should of done, but then again Mario was playing nasty Defense on him. But it was sad how noah was getting killed by Beasley, which is really sad, i would expect more from him, since i use to root for him in back when he was in school.

JordansBulls
07-08-2008, 11:44 AM
"Derrick Rose SUCKS"
"Such a dissapointment"

These sentiments can be heard all over Chicagoland, after a SUMMERLEAGUE game. No wonder it's so hard to play in such a great city like this one. People freak out WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much.

Hooooooooold on a second

Derrick Rose is a PG, if he had scored 28 points and had one assist, people would've dismissed him as a selfish Iverson/Francis/Marbury clone.
But he didn't, instead he tried to pick and choose spots while getting his teamates involved. Again, we must realize that the front court let Rose down, with their missed shots and overall poor defense on Beasley.

Mario Chalmers has experience guarding DR1. He played him REALLY good to begin the game, and I think that says a lot about Chalmer's defense and his longevity in the league.

DR1 had 2 points going into the half, going 1-3. Yet, in the 7 mins in the second half that he did play, he put up 8 points, while aggressively attacking the basket. This kid can score, he just needs more confidence.

Not to make excuses but, I think he would've had more points if he had finished on a few more drives and converted on a few more free throws *4-8*(an area that we already knew he needed to improve on). Don't forget we're dealing with a 19 year old kid here, he was probably nervous to begin the game, and deffered to his teamates while playing for the most part passive.

8 free throw attempts in a 40 minute game is spectacular for a Point Guard. Last year, Luol Deng and Ben Gordon averaged the most FT attempts at 4.2 and 4.1 attempt per game, on a Bulls team which ranked at the bottom half of the league in FT attempts per game @ 24.7. On another note, the highest number of attempts from a PG came from Billups at 5.4 per game.

Derrick Rose has another gear. Watching him seems to defy the laws of physics. This kid can go-and-stop effortlessly. This is especially important, because many players have speed (Barbosa, Parker, Ellis), but not many players can stop at a drop and make a decision. Rose's ability to control his body at high speeds will give him oppritunities to make the correct pass, or (with his already strong upbody) breathtaking finishes. Only two other players truly possess this ability, Nash and Paul. That's some really good company.

Overall, I grade DR1's performance a C-, I think he got a lot more flak than he deserved. He definitely showed flashes on why he's the number 1 pick. I think if Beasley didn't play so good (which he did, no questions asked), people wouldn't have been so hard on DR1. But like all the great stars, he's his own harshest critic...

“We didn’t win,” Rose said, “so I think I played horrible. But tomorrow’s a new day.”

That's a promising response. It shows how mature DR1 is, he knows that his performance is not going to be based on his stats, but rather on a W or L. That is a mark of a true champion my friends.

On the otherhand,

“Could have played better,” he (Beasley) said. “Could have got a couple more assists, made a couple extra passes, got a couple more rebounds, could have got a couple stops early on.”

Beasley's a stat machine and he knows it. It doesn't make him a selfish player by ANY means, but it does show the stark contrast between characters in Rose and Beasley, which is a MAJOR reason why the Bulls selected Rose with the first pick.

But, it's good to see so many people so excited about Chicago Bulls basketball again. Really can't wait until Pre-season starts, to see him jell with the regulars.

I was wondering if ya'll saw the same things that I did.

We need to wait until the 1st game of the year before we can start judging a player. That is when games actually matter.

23ways
07-08-2008, 11:49 AM
How can you rate the 1st SUMMER LEAGUE game lol. It went like I thought, Beasly scoring like he do, and Rose trying to get in the flow of things. I mean Rose is a PG... big difference from ok Beasly just go out there and score. Naa. I saw Rose penetrate, pass, direct...all the things a good point does... He just need to get familiar with the players we got....Trust me by Janurary people will start seeing the big deal with Rose. No knock on Beas...Kid's iLL no doubt, but it goes as predicted Beasly will come out the gate doing his thing, while Rose has to let the game come to him. Beasly will look better now, Rose will look better overall. still LMAO @ ppl critiqing the Summer League...didnt Marcus Banks avg. 42ppg in a SL...LOL.

Chi-Town Finest
07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Man I play a lot of ball and watch a lot of ball and everybody saying that Chalmers played great d on Rose is dillusional. I admit that he played good d on Rose but going as far to say he shut him down is absurd. How are you shutting someone down when they take 3 shots (in the first half) and was clearly not looking to shoot. It wa apparent to me that when he wanted to Rose got to the basket. Although he didnt convert on all his shots you cant say that Chalmers "shut him down" while he was out there. Rose is the type of player that likes to get his teammates involved while in the game. Unfortunately this summerleague team will make you look bad. As the games go by he will start to understand that and maybe take over a little more. There was a game when Rose was in high school where he scored only two points and after the game he was asked "why didnt you shoot the ball more and score more than two points?" and his response was " I already have a scholarship and scouts know what I can do, I wanted my teammates to score and show scouts what they can do so that they can get a scholarship too." That was a championship game. Isnt it reasonable to think Rose is thinking the same way now? Most of these guys dont have a spot in the league and maybe Rose wants them to have a chance.

chicagowhitesox
07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
No one should care at all what he did. No one tries, except Michael Beasley.

MiamiHeat
07-08-2008, 12:53 PM
lol at the opinion of : F - our franchise is DOOOOOOOMED

but i gave him a C

Seventh King
07-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice post Vincent!

scandaless2
07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
can't we just wait till it over an then choose.... he only played 1 game. damn

BullySixChicago
07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
"Derrick Rose SUCKS"
"Such a dissapointment"

Hooooooooold on a second

On the otherhand,

I was wondering if ya'll saw the same things that I did.I dont know what part of chicago you are referring too but those of us that know basketball treat it as it is a summer game. Furthermore we that know something about basketball are wondering whats with the offense? I mean what did the Bulls do to exploit Rose's ability? As for Rose needing more confidence lol if he did he would burst, the think Rose needs is an offense that he can be used in correctly and some people who can make shots who are these bums he is playing with, Noah stunk, thomas still has no idea is he a 3-4 or 2 guard gray please a bum still. Yet I understand that you may be around some nay sayers but again like you stated the Bulls made the right choice and it will be seen and it wont take a year, your statement wa svery good ceratin points

BullySixChicago
07-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Man I play a lot of ball and watch a lot of ball and everybody saying that Chalmers played great d on Rose is dillusional. I admit that he played good d on Rose but going as far to say he shut him down is absurd. How are you shutting someone down when they take 3 shots (in the first half) and was clearly not looking to shoot. It wa apparent to me that when he wanted to Rose got to the basket. Although he didnt convert on all his shots you cant say that Chalmers "shut him down" while he was out there. Rose is the type of player that likes to get his teammates involved while in the game. Unfortunately this summerleague team will make you look bad. As the games go by he will start to understand that and maybe take over a little more. There was a game when Rose was in high school where he scored only two points and after the game he was asked "why didnt you shoot the ball more and score more than two points?" and his response was " I already have a scholarship and scouts know what I can do, I wanted my teammates to score and show scouts what they can do so that they can get a scholarship too." That was a championship game. Isnt it reasonable to think Rose is thinking the same way now? Most of these guys dont have a spot in the league and maybe Rose wants them to have a chance.
very well stated but I have to admit that picture blurred my reading darn man whats wrong with you,

Chicagofaithful
07-08-2008, 02:42 PM
We all know that Beasley was told "go out there and score" while rose was told to make his teammates better and take his time. If we wanted a GREAT SCORING small forward we would have gladly taken Beasley, but we wanted a PG who's abilities enhance others, and while he only had 10 pts.. he only took 8 shots.. while beasley took 21, point and case

BullySixChicago
07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Man I play a lot of ball and watch a lot of ball and everybody saying that Chalmers played great d on Rose is dillusional. I admit that he played good d on Rose but going as far to say he shut him down is absurd. How are you shutting someone down when they take 3 shots (in the first half) and was clearly not looking to shoot. It wa apparent to me that when he wanted to Rose got to the basket. Although he didnt convert on all his shots you cant say that Chalmers "shut him down" while he was out there. Rose is the type of player that likes to get his teammates involved while in the game. Unfortunately this summerleague team will make you look bad. As the games go by he will start to understand that and maybe take over a little more. There was a game when Rose was in high school where he scored only two points and after the game he was asked "why didnt you shoot the ball more and score more than two points?" and his response was " I already have a scholarship and scouts know what I can do, I wanted my teammates to score and show scouts what they can do so that they can get a scholarship too." That was a championship game. Isnt it reasonable to think Rose is thinking the same way now? Most of these guys dont have a spot in the league and maybe Rose wants them to have a chance.very well stated, yet that picture how could you do that I dont know if I read your entire statement that is a distracting picture if you want me to read your stuff you have to stop with her man lol very good both ends the picture and statement

PRETTY BIRD
07-08-2008, 02:50 PM
dude got smashed by beasley..!

PRETTY BIRD
07-08-2008, 02:52 PM
No one should care at all what he did. No one tries, except Michael Beasley.

:confused:

Chi-Town Finest
07-08-2008, 02:52 PM
very well stated but I have to admit that picture blurred my reading darn man whats wrong with you,
Sorry, I cant help it, it helps my inner thughts process smoother. :D

Starkonian
07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I think the interesting difference maker between Beasley and Rose is their respective confidence levels. Rose, by all interiews I've seen thus far, is young and timid. Beasley, on the other hand is almost Artest like, cocky. Beasley admitted he was taunting the Bulls players throughout the game by "singing" as he went up and down the court. Beasley has a unique confidence level for a player in his position. I suspect Rose is the more typical, young, player who will excell as he becomes more comfortable in the league.

PRETTY BIRD
07-08-2008, 03:07 PM
were doomed!

Vincent
07-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Nice story reference, I remember reading that a few weeks back and deciding, man, this guy is going to be special. That's exactly the attitude we need.

That being said, at that point of his high school career, he was a proven recruit and player. At this point of his NBA career, he's basically a hyped up rookie. He DOES have something to prove to his teamates and to the city that drafted him with such love and high aspirations. Yes, it's a lot of pressure, but he "claims" he wanted it.

Although I'm not a NBA player, or ever will come close to being a professional athlete, I believe that you should have the mentality to play hard and compete everytime you touch the ball, whether it's practice, summer league, or game 7 in the NBA finals. You are defined by how you perform, and even though it's a summer league, you're expected to perform.

I don't buy into some comments of, "it's just a summer league, they don't have to try," or "it doesn't matter, it's just a summer league," or "let them compete when it's the regular season." That's loser talk.

Michael Jordan wasn't great because he was the best scorer in the league. Michael was great because he wanted to win more than anyone on the court, and he would do anything to win. Luckily, he had the talent and will to back it up. This is a guy who would get pissed off at a game of Monopoly. He wanted to win ALL the time.

Kobe Bryant has been recorded as being a beast in the Team USA "practices." As him it matters if it's JUST a practice.

If Derrick Rose is to be special, or to be that missing link (leader) that we drafted him to be, he should just ignore how much the venue matters and focus on what got him drafted, winning.

vdv36
07-08-2008, 05:49 PM
to be honest we shouldn't even be grading Rose, what the hell is up with Noah and Thomas getting destroyed by Beasley.... this is going to be a long year...

Starkonian
07-08-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't buy into some comments of, "it's just a summer league, they don't have to try," or "it doesn't matter, it's just a summer league," or "let them compete when it's the regular season." That's loser talk.

Yep, I think that's a load of crap too. When you step on the court in the NBA you play balls out, summer league, pre-season, last game of a losing season...whatever. Anything else is a loser attitude. When a player does that he can always hold his head up regardless of the circumstances.

abe_froman
07-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Yep, I think that's a load of crap too. When you step on the court in the NBA you play balls out, summer league, pre-season, last game of a losing season...whatever. Anything else is a loser attitude. When a player does that he can always hold his head up regardless of the circumstances.

ok so you'd rather have players risking getting injured,going all out in summer league and losing them for half the regular season than have them half assing it and be ready and healthy for actual game time????

ok,i guess thats one way to do things...

kozelkid
07-08-2008, 06:00 PM
ok so you'd rather have players get injured going all out in summer league and losing them for half the regular season than have them half assing it and be ready and healthy for actual game time????

thing is do you actually think the players think about that when they are playing? HELL NO. coaches do, trainers do, but not the players. I know I dont whenever I played ball.
And while, they are unfamiliar with the gameplan and all that, so I think they will drastically improve, but to say they werent playing hard is just wrong. cause it's either
a. they were but will soon get familiar and play better
b. they actually didnt try and then they just dont deserve to be on the team, cause on matter what you gotta put 100% effort.

abe_froman
07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
thing is do you actually think the players think about that when they are playing? HELL NO. coaches do, trainers do, but not the players. I know I dont whenever I played ball.
And while, they are unfamiliar with the gameplan and all that, so I think they will drastically improve, but to say they werent playing hard is just wrong. cause it's either
a. they were but will soon get familiar and play better
b. they actually didnt try and then they just dont deserve to be on the team, cause on matter what you gotta put 100% effort.

your a cubs fan so you don't mind losing lee trying to beat out a throw during spring training so to not have him for part the regular season,even in years like this were the division is competitive and might really need him??

i guess i'm different,i actually put the importance on regular season and would rather they be healthy for that,than going all out for best summer league record were you dont win anything for your efforts and guys like noah are guaranteed jobs regardless

tduncanspeaks
07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
It is obvious that Rose is going to have to lead this team. Team mates are going to have to be lead by the dribble drive penetration that he does effortlessly. we need 2 athletic shooters SG and SF

Vincent
07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
ok so you'd rather have players risking getting injured,going all out in summer league and losing them for half the regular season than have them half assing it and be ready and healthy for actual game time????

If you're going to get injured, you're going to get injured. Whether you play in a regular season game, or a pickup game at the park.

I understand your argument if they were 32 year old season veterans, coming off of surguries and back ailments.

But These guys are 19-22 year old rookies and second years (except for Tyrus, who's a 21 year old 3rd year). If they can't play hard for 40 minutes, for 5 days in July, with injuring themselves, what makes you think they can compete in an 82 game season come October?

Chi-Town Finest
07-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Nice story reference, I remember reading that a few weeks back and deciding, man, this guy is going to be special. That's exactly the attitude we need.

That being said, at that point of his high school career, he was a proven recruit and player. At this point of his NBA career, he's basically a hyped up rookie. He DOES have something to prove to his teamates and to the city that drafted him with such love and high aspirations. Yes, it's a lot of pressure, but he "claims" he wanted it.

Although I'm not a NBA player, or ever will come close to being a professional athlete, I believe that you should have the mentality to play hard and compete everytime you touch the ball, whether it's practice, summer league, or game 7 in the NBA finals. You are defined by how you perform, and even though it's a summer league, you're expected to perform.

Michael Jordan wasn't great because he was the best scorer in the league. Michael was great because he wanted to win more than anyone on the court, and he would do anything to win. Luckily, he had the talent and will to back it up. This is a guy who would get pissed off at a game of Monopoly. He wanted to win ALL the time.

Kobe Bryant has been recorded as being a beast in the Team USA "practices." As him it matters if it's JUST a practice.

If Derrick Rose is to be special, or to be that missing link (leader) that we drafted him to be, he should just ignore how much the venue matters and focus on what got him drafted, winning.
You are absolutely right about wanting to win and competing. What I was trying to say is TT and Noah have nothing to prove by scoring 30 points in a summerleague game. Rose is a player that is trying to make his teammats better on the floor. His natural instinct is to get other players involved in the offense and it seems like thats what he was trying to do. My point about summerleague is that it wont really help you in the regular season because the games are more intense and a lot faster than these games wich are basically for undrafted player and free agents trying to get a job. If I insinuated that they should not try or play hard I humbly apologize for the statement because why even play if your not going to try. I meant to make the point that summerleague should be a place where you work on certain things like a scrimmage so to speak so that you see if certain things you have been working on have worked.

jokerzz
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
its too early to tell ... look adam morrison during his summer league game he is a scorer. so what happen now......rose will lead this team...

abe_froman
07-08-2008, 06:18 PM
If you're going to get injured, you're going to get injured. Whether you play in a regular season game, or a pickup game at the park.

I understand your argument if they were 32 year old season veterans, coming off of surguries and back ailments.

But These guys are 19-22 year old rookies and second years (except for Tyrus, who's a 21 year old 3rd year). If they can't play hard for 40 minutes, for 5 days in July, with injuring themselves, what makes you think they can compete in an 82 game season come October?

there are guys who've gone down..even never coming back for going all out in summer league and pre season,so there is precedence(not counting football,baseball were there are examples there to).like i said i'm different from you guys in philosophy i'd rather they play smart than play hard all the time.

and what does playing hardest prove,that keith bogans is better than lebron james???

Vincent
07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
there are guys who've gone down..even never coming back for going all out in summer league and pre season,so there is precedence(not counting football,baseball were there are examples there to).like i said i'm different from you guys in philosophy i'd rather they play smart than play hard all the time.

I understand your philosophy, especially if you're a Cubs fan :P

But there's a difference from playing hard all the time, and getting the necessary rest for your body to handle the stress of an 82 game season.

I think this mentality trickles down through the regular season.

It happened last year, when the Bulls started losing. The mentality was, it's a long season, we'll pick it up, it's just one game... blah blah blah, excuse, excuse. Then come tradedeadline, they were looking at who to draft with their lottery pick.

I'm sick of that attitude. Come hard early, and finish hard.

The more you allow yourself to take possessions off, the more you come accustom to it. Pretty soon it won't matter how much talent you have, you'll still be a loser. Just ask Vince ("I rode my talent") Carter.

BigBallinman
07-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I wasn't concerned with rose,it's way to early to grade him,for us bulls fans the biggest concern was how beasley made our young front line look like clowns.

abe_froman
07-08-2008, 06:29 PM
I understand your philosophy, especially if you're a Cubs fan :P

But there's a difference from playing hard all the time, and getting the necessary rest for your body to handle the stress of an 82 game season.

I think this mentality trickles down through the regular season.

It happened last year, when the Bulls started losing. The mentality was, it's a long season, we'll pick it up, it's just one game... blah blah blah, excuse, excuse. Then come tradedeadline, they were looking at who to draft with their lottery pick.

I'm sick of that attitude. Come hard early, and finish hard.

The more you allow yourself to take possessions off, the more you come accustom to it. Pretty soon it won't matter how much talent you have, you'll still be a loser. Just ask Vince ("I rode my talent") Carter.
the losing mentality came from the regular season,not summer league(which we did fair in)

kozelkid
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM
but abe, as a player you arent going to be concerned about injuries, hell you are 19-22, you are immature and just want to ball like beasley. You still would expect more. THey do have somethign to prove, and I know they want to, we might not want them to try too hrad, but THEY want to.

Vincent
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM
the losing mentality came from the regular season,not summer league(which we did fair in)

I respect your arguments, but I still think they should give their best efforts any oppritunity they get.

Hard work beats talent when talent stops working hard.

Vincent
07-09-2008, 12:37 AM
DAY 2

Whew, Rose didn't blow us away this game, but he definitely gave Bulls fan's a sigh of relief... especially with the disappointing showing by Beasley.

Some major points noticed in this game -

Derrick Rose looked much more confident and active on the court.

His stat line, read
9 pts, 2/9 shooting, 5/6 from the free throw line, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, and 3 turnovers.

Judging strictly from the stat line, it was an overall good game for DR1.

DR1 moved very well on the court, he showed his speed again with his drives and play making. This guy has the best handles I've seen in a player THAT fast.

There were moments when he seemed to stumble a little out of control, but I think his decision making will be much better when the Bulls learn to space the floor a little better.

In the second half, the Pacers seemed to challenge Rose by double teaming him off the screen and roll. Which perplexed me, because they kept on calling screen and rolls 30 feet from the basket. VDN get's a slap on the hand for that one. Yet, today he took on ball handling duties well with limited number of turnovers (3).

Rose's passing game was definitely on display today. Showing crisp passes from all directions. He would have gotten more assists, had his teammates either finished or caught the ball cleaner. Not only can Rose physically get to any spot on the court, he can also PASS the ball to any spot on the court.

Again, Rose got to the line with good efficiency, but today he converted on 83% of his attempts. This is a good sign, but he must prove to defenders that he can shoot around this range.

Rose's shot was off today, with his 2/9 shooting, but we hope to see that improve as he gets more rhythm in his shot.

packerfan4life
07-09-2008, 12:58 AM
I watched the game online today, and thought that he did all the things a PG should do. He moved the ball up the court efficiently, made some great passes, and seemed to really lead the team and take control. He made a great drive to the basket where he was hit then made the lay up anyway which I thought was a great play. Just remember, he is still learning and progressing into the Bulls and the NBA.

ps: Michael Beasely had 9 pts today and was 1-13 from the field. I guess he is going to be horrible, right? :P

rico
07-09-2008, 06:28 AM
I think its far too early to determine until the summer league games are finished.

first game yeah he didnt do the greatest.
second game he scored nearly a triple double. 1pt a couple boards and couple assists off.
third game?
fourth game?

not to mention its a summer game, the only good offense on the team we have looks like nichols. which hurts his assists when it comes to dishing to jumpshooters. still - i chose a B. based on the first 2 performances i think he will be pretty good.

MassoDio
07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=Orlando-Awards-080711

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Derrick Rose, Bulls

Disappointing, not because Rose is some sort of bust as Chicago message-board doomsayers fear but because his right knee gave out on him after just two games.

The Bulls are stressing that Rose's tendinitis issues aren't serious. They believe some rest and an offseason weightlifting program will cure what ails him.

Possibly of greater concern is the fact that earlier this week Rose confided to Douglas-Roberts, his former University of Memphis teammate, that he was frustrated in Vinny Del Negro's structured offense. At times, he seemed somewhat mechanical and unsure of himself in his two games, turning the ball over eight times and handing out just eight assists.

But Rose is a can't-miss star, and the Bulls know it. The way he explodes off his hesitation dribble and already understands drive-and-kick concepts show that it's just a matter of time before he's an elite NBA point guard.

But Bulls fans had better get ready for some growing pains along the way. Just 19, Rose has some maturing to do. And his jump shot is most definitely a work in progress, as shown by his 29.4 percent field goal shooting.

I think this is a good way to put it. There are some things he needs to work on, the knee isn't a major concern at this point, and he isn't yet where Bulls fans would have liked him to be. It's interesting that he already is saying something bad about Viny Del Negro's offense. He's played two games in the system and is already complaining. Oh well, just frustration most likely.

Blue Tiger
07-14-2008, 02:09 PM
It looks like the Bulls are going to have another losing season.

ATOMICBULL
07-14-2008, 03:41 PM
DAY 2

Whew, Rose didn't blow us away this game, but he definitely gave Bulls fan's a sigh of relief... especially with the disappointing showing by Beasley.

Some major points noticed in this game -

Derrick Rose looked much more confident and active on the court.

His stat line, read
9 pts, 2/9 shooting, 5/6 from the free throw line, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, and 3 turnovers.

Judging strictly from the stat line, it was an overall good game for DR1.

DR1 moved very well on the court, he showed his speed again with his drives and play making. This guy has the best handles I've seen in a player THAT fast.

There were moments when he seemed to stumble a little out of control, but I think his decision making will be much better when the Bulls learn to space the floor a little better.

In the second half, the Pacers seemed to challenge Rose by double teaming him off the screen and roll. Which perplexed me, because they kept on calling screen and rolls 30 feet from the basket. VDN get's a slap on the hand for that one. Yet, today he took on ball handling duties well with limited number of turnovers (3).

Rose's passing game was definitely on display today. Showing crisp passes from all directions. He would have gotten more assists, had his teammates either finished or caught the ball cleaner. Not only can Rose physically get to any spot on the court, he can also PASS the ball to any spot on the court.

Again, Rose got to the line with good efficiency, but today he converted on 83% of his attempts. This is a good sign, but he must prove to defenders that he can shoot around this range.

Rose's shot was off today, with his 2/9 shooting, but we hope to see that improve as he gets more rhythm in his shot.

THE ONLY REASON HIS STAT LINE WAS ANY GOOD WAS BECAUSE HE HAD 6 BOARDS AND 7 ASSISTS EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKED HE STILL CANT SHOOT THE BALL HES GONNA STRUGGLE UNTIL HE CAN EARN SOME RESPECT WITH HIS JUMPER RIGHT NOW ITS TERRIBLE!

daleja424
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Dissappointing but Irrelevant...

Second City
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Give him this summer to get stronger (so his knee doesn't bother him), get a comfort level with his teammates, learn the offense, and improve his jump shot.

I think that he will get all of that done and he will look a LOT better when the season starts.

After seeing him play, regardless of how well he shot, I am glad that we drafted him and I wouldn't have it any other way.

mschmidt64
07-14-2008, 06:06 PM
It looks like the Bulls are going to have another losing season.

Bet on it.

I'd strip down and try to get another high pick.

And take on some expiring contracts so we can nab a Wade/Bosh in 2010.

Afridi786
07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Bet on it.

I'd strip down and try to get another high pick.

And take on some expiring contracts so we can nab a Wade/Bosh in 2010.

We just need to trade Kirk and Noc for contracts that expire next year or '10, keep Hughes, and we'll have like 20 mil of cap to land Bosh/Amare. This is only a possibility if Rose becomes an elite pg to lure them away from their current teams.

97'bulls
07-14-2008, 06:30 PM
I think he'll be a great player but there's no hiding that he sucked in the summer league.

mschmidt64
07-14-2008, 06:36 PM
We just need to trade Kirk and Noc for contracts that expire next year or '10, keep Hughes, and we'll have like 20 mil of cap to land Bosh/Amare. This is only a possibility if Rose becomes an elite pg to lure them away from their current teams.

Which I think it a strong possibility.

Whether or not Rose was the best pick is immaterial... I don't think he's going to be a "bust." He's still going to be a very good PG.

97'bulls
07-14-2008, 06:44 PM
ENOUGH OF 2010! 90% of those players will stay where they are, I don;t even want amare at that age, I'd take Bosh but I don;t see that happening.

Storch
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Cant rate him till he plays against a real nba team.

Afridi786
07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
^The thread says rate his summer league performance.