PDA

View Full Version : Rockets to play 'waiting game'

Manos
07-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Link from Chron.com (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5876244.html)

Instead of a quick fix, Rockets might play the waiting game

By STEVE CAMPBELL
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

THE first handful of names on the wish list stands headband, shoulder, biceps and tattoo above the rest.

Those are the NBA players out there Daryl Morey considers the "perfect" complement to the Rockets' cornerstone pair, Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady.

Perfect, and virtually unattainable.

The next tier on the wish list has the names of 10 players who aren't quite perfect fits, which is why they're considerably more attainable when the time is right.

Morey would love to share the list, of course. He really would, but then he'd have to eliminate everybody who reads it — and that's just plain bad business.

But you just know somebody would start blabbing, and down the drain would go the Rockets' best-laid plans.

Like it or not, Rockets fans will have to trust Morey and coach Rick Adelman on this. Actually, the fans don't have to trust anybody about anything, but Morey and Adelman are fully aware the Rockets as constructed are a nice team that doesn't have the chops to be a champion.

As constructed.

"That's our main focus: Get one more significant player on the roster somehow," Morey said. "That's the goal. That's my job, so hopefully we will get it done."

Sorry, Rockets fans smarting from yet another hasty playoff departure: There is no immediate gratification in sight. In his second offseason as Rockets general manager, Morey's objectives are to add free-agent shooting guard
Brent Barry and retain restricted free-agent forward Carl Landry.

The rest of the NBA is not aquiver.

The Rockets don't have the salary-cap room to get into the bidding for Elton Brand. They don't have anything to offer Corey Maggette that would make them any more attractive than Boston, San Antonio or Detroit.

So they've set their sights on Barry, 36, a sharpshooter who averaged 7.1 points in 31 games last season. Barry won't tip the balance of power in the West, but he played a complementary role on two championship teams in San Antonio.

As much of an imperative as Morey feels to make a wow move, the time is not now.

Why not push for a major deal now, when it could create an enthusiasm and anticipation of the season to come for the fandom?

Why not give the players and coaches an entire season to familiarize themselves with each other?

Shouldn't Rockets owner Leslie Alexander be demanding immediate action?

Because other teams have hopes to stoke and tickets to sell, too. The Rockets aren't going to add a major piece to a championship puzzle by getting a contender to break up its core. Morey figures he'll have to bide his time until one of the pretenders gets a slap in the face from reality.

"Teams can pretty unrealistically think they've got a shot ... go through the first month or two of the season," Morey said. "Then it becomes apparent that they don't have a shot."

At that point, teams become willing to make moves for financial reasons. At that point, the expiring contracts of Bobby Jackson and Steve Francis (nearly $9 million between the two) could expedite a deal for that third scoring option the Rockets crave so much. At that point, the depth that rookies Donté Greene and Joey Dorsey provide come into play. If Greene and Dorsey aren't pieces to a trade puzzle, they can give the Rockets enough strength in numbers to part with one or more of the veterans ahead of them in the pecking order (Luis Scola, Shane Battier, Landry, Chuck Hayes).

Sacramento has made little secret of its intention to move forward Ron Artest if it falls out of contention. The Rockets need to think long and hard about whether they would want to go that route. The correct answer: No.

Maybe Milwaukee will take a leave of senses and put Michael Redd on the market, or Denver will decide it has overspent and underachieved. Some team somewhere is bound to get fed up with its core group and decide to make changes. Morey plans to be in position to, as he put it, "go all-in" when the time comes.

"The thing I like most about our team is our great players are in their prime," Alexander said. "There's plenty of years for us to be really, really good."

McGrady is under contract for two more seasons. By the end of the 2010 season, the only definite salary obligation on the books will be the $7.3 million coming to Battier. Yao has a player's option to play out the 2010-2011 season for just under $17 million, which means the Rockets will have salary-cap room to go in just about any direction they choose.

Psst: That just happens to be the summer that LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Manu Ginobili, among others, can be free agents. The Rockets could lock up Yao, a high-end free agent and have money to spend.

"We're in a good situation," Morey said. "We can go all-in a little bit with this core, which we think is a good core. And if for whatever reason it doesn't work, we've got a lot of flexibility."

steve.campbell@chron.com.

pippsux
07-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Sounds like excuses are being made already. I will be patient, but I am just saying.

bbinthepark
07-08-2008, 09:44 AM
this is no surprise. we all know we don't have the money to go after the top free agents. the team we have now is sure to be in contention no matter what, so if we're going to wait until midseason to make a move, when big players get moved for less, it won't bother me. We'll have a better idea of what players we should shop as well and there's likely to be more teams looking to ship out some of their best players. guys like... mike dunleavy, gerald wallace, ron artest, joe johnson, jamal crawford, michael redd & cuttino mobley

JordansBulls
07-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Link from Chron.com (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5876244.html)

Don't understand??? Can't the Rockets offer Maggette the MLE just like everyone else can?

Besides if Maggette was promised a starting spot and 30 mpg I think he would seriously consider coming to Houston.

dchalphen
07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
They can offer the MLE to Maggette but then that means no Landry and not much depth. Have faith in Morey, right now the market is way too high for any trades of star players. We can not sign any big time free agents, so let's wait till mid season when teams are looking to dump certain players and make a playoff push that way......Does anyone remember the Lakers before the Gasol trade at mid season?

TMAC94
07-08-2008, 10:43 AM
^^ no depth at the PF? come on man, we could do alot of things, sign brown too the Minium as back up for yao, then trade battier even for a back up PF

bbinthepark
07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
They can offer the MLE to Maggette but then that means no Landry and not much depth. Have faith in Morey, right now the market is way too high for any trades of star players. We can not sign any big time free agents, so let's wait till mid season when teams are looking to dump certain players and make a playoff push that way......Does anyone remember the Lakers before the Gasol trade at mid season?

agreed, and we're nowhere near as bad as the Lakers before Gasol. there will be better opportunities later, guaranteed. right now, nobody wants bobby jackson, steve francis, luther head or chuck hayes. They all want big names, but once the contenders seperate themselves, teams like the pacers, kings, hawks, knicks, bobcats, etc. are going to be looking to dump players.

mightybosstone
07-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I want that list of ten players... Regardless, I think this is a smart move, because I don't see anyway the Rockets could sign a big name at this moment. Maggette is a possibility, but I still see him going to San Antonio. I'd be happy with the Barry signing or maybe someone like Posey or Pietrus with the MLE. And its smart to wait it out, because those teams that think they've got a shot before the season and end up crashing will be desperately looking to get cap space.

Russjr2
07-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Sounds like excuses are being made already. I will be patient, but I am just saying.

Excuses? Why do you say that? I think it is a very smart move on Morey's part. We will be in prime position when the trade deadline comes. Teams will be calling us to get some of our expiring contracts. What difference does it make if we get a guy in summer or Feb? The main point is getting the right guy at the right price.

I knew alot of 'fans' would start the whining and complaining when they see other teams with cap space in the rumor mill and not see us.

pippsux
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Excuses? Why do you say that? I think it is a very smart move on Morey's part. We will be in prime position when the trade deadline comes. Teams will be calling us to get some of our expiring contracts. What difference does it make if we get a guy in summer or Feb? The main point is getting the right guy at the right price.

I knew alot of 'fans' would start the whining and complaining when they see other teams with cap space in the rumor mill and not see us.

So we should wait until the trade deadline before we get aggressive? C'mon. All I am saying is we need to get more aggressive now. The Spurs have Duncan, Ginobli and Parker locked up and where still able to offer Maggete something, same goes for the Celts. We need to be more aggressive. Everybody is too laid back for a team that is a perennial underachiver. Even our fans are starting to be that way too. When we have lost as many times as we have in the playoffs, losing becomes acceptable.The Celtics did not wait for the trade deadline to make a move, they put the pieces together before training camp. We all know what happened with the Lakers was fishy ( most lopsided trade ever!!!) and likely will not happen again. Let's get aggressive, Houston.

JordansBulls
07-08-2008, 11:58 AM
So we should wait until the trade deadline before we get aggressive? C'mon. All I am saying is we need to get more aggressive now. The Spurs have Duncan, Ginobli and Parker locked up and where still able to offer Maggete something, same goes for the Celts. We need to be more aggressive. Everybody is too laid back for a team that is a perennial underachiver. Even our fans are starting to be that way too. When we have lost as many times as we have in the playoffs, losing becomes acceptable.The Celtics did not wait for the trade deadline to make a move, they put the pieces together before training camp. We all know what happened with the Lakers was fishy ( most lopsided trade ever!!!) and likely will not happen again. Let's get aggressive, Houston.

I agree for a team with 2 guys that are top 12 in the league a Defensive stopper and a strong defensive team, this team needs to just get that 3rd scorer as they are on the threshold to go far. I honestly feel once the Rockets get out of the first round they will go far just like the Lakers and Celtics did last year, but they need another scorer that is consistent.

dchalphen
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
What difference does it make if we have a guy now or at mid season? The key point is that we have the right group come playoff time. If we wait we can get much more bang for our $.

bball1217
07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
This might sound crazy but...
What if, by mid season, the Nuggets are having a poor season and decide to blow it all up. Is there any way that we could trade expiring contracts and draft picks and maybe one player that is a regular in the rotation to get Allen Iverson? I know he is getting old, but he still puts up 25 ppg and 7 apg and we could put him at point, even though he likes SG more, if we can keep T-Mac and Yao and get him, he will happily play PG.
Something like this: (plus some draft picks)
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=366~2770~11~255~2834~2763~376&teams=10~10~7~7~7~7~7&te=&cash=
Denver gets: expiring contracts and draft picks
Houston gets: another scorer and a solid back up in Klieza

Jay22Redd
07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
What difference does it make if we have a guy now or at mid season? The key point is that we have the right group come playoff time. If we wait we can get much more bang for our $.

chemistry is the difference. you cant win in the playoffs without chemistry

pippsux
07-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I came across this article. One great point is the fact that we should have gone after Mike Miller, and not wait till he got traded to the Twolves. Again, I don't think we are aggresive enough.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/35636-houston-rockets-thin-free-agent-class-tests-texas-triangle

DontNOMuch
07-08-2008, 02:08 PM
This might sound crazy but...
What if, by mid season, the Nuggets are having a poor season and decide to blow it all up. Is there any way that we could trade expiring contracts and draft picks and maybe one player that is a regular in the rotation to get Allen Iverson? I know he is getting old, but he still puts up 25 ppg and 7 apg and we could put him at point, even though he likes SG more, if we can keep T-Mac and Yao and get him, he will happily play PG.
Something like this: (plus some draft picks)
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=366~2770~11~255~2834~2763~376&teams=10~10~7~7~7~7~7&te=&cash=
Denver gets: expiring contracts and draft picks
Houston gets: another scorer and a solid back up in Klieza

AI is also expiring contract...why would they trade away him for more expiring contracts and not useful players...

bball1217
07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
AI is also expiring contract...why would they trade away him for more expiring contracts and not useful players...

Because the Nuggets would rather get some draft picks out of this then just having a bad season then have AI walk away and get nothing in return. Also we could throw in some young players (Greene or Landry, and if necessary Brooks) in the place of a few of these players. And Klieza is a solid backup. We can give them young talent and future draft picks (like next 2 years 1st rounders) for a elite PG and a solid young backup in Klieza. (Although I doubt we could get Klieza out of this unless we give some of our young talent.)

OUfan4life15
07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Nuggets weren't willing to give up Kleiza for Artest, what makes you think they'd give him up for Jackson and Francis? They wouldn't.

bball1217
07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Nuggets weren't willing to give up Kleiza for Artest, what makes you think they'd give him up for Jackson and Francis? They wouldn't.
Then don't include him, the trade still works.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=366~11~255~2834~2763~376&teams=10~7~7~7~7~7&te=&cash=

I just thought that 5 players for 1 is bad, maybe this could work (plus draft picks):
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3208~366~11~255~2834~2763~376&teams=10~10~7~7~7~7~7&te=&cash=
Green is just there to fill the roster.

Chronz
07-08-2008, 11:43 PM

No its called the TRUTH

Ghostbuster Guy
07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
i agree with morey,wait and see if something comes up

Russjr2
07-09-2008, 12:34 AM

Ok, the first thing you need to understand is Morey does not reveal his plan to the media so WE can read about it on various web sites. We get news of our deals most of the time after they are already done or in the works.

Secondly, in order to make trades you need other WILLING teams to trade with you to get things they need as well. Right now, nobody is interested in our expiring contracts. Like the article says, "those become very valuable at the trade deadline when other teams are ready to change their core group of players."

Thirdly, don't you think our team will be better next year with Scola having another year under his belt and Adelman having more time to develop the offense for these guys?? Same thing for Brooks and (possibly) Landry? We were 2 games away from winning the west, and that was without Yao for the last month of the season. You make it sound like we were the Warriors. Who, by the way, lost their best player to free agency and are sitting on tons of money that nobody seems to be wanting to take (Brand is going to Philly). They will over pay for Maggette who wont help them win a title just to get a player in to sell tickets.

Forthly, you just don't go get ANY player when you have a team like ours that is built on chemistry. You try and get the RIGHT player for the RIGHT price. I know that is hard for some to grasp, but just have a little faith in your GM. He has a plan and so far it is working.

Look at the job he has done so far in his first two years. He, Les, and Adelman saw the same playoff series you and I saw. They know we need legit scoring off the bench. Morey will get that for us.

Rhyming Rebel
07-09-2008, 07:19 AM
There will be plenty of players to be had come December and January we dont need Morey's list. Think of it like this we have 13.5 million dollars in expiring contracts and there will be a ton of teams that will fail like for instance the Denver Nuggets and GS Warriors.

TMAC94
07-09-2008, 07:28 AM
maybe not GS Warriors but i reckon denver.