PDA

View Full Version : pitching

Dave P
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
There are always talks about how deep the orioles minor leagues are at pitching so all we talk about is how we need hitters...but right now we have two "crafty" left handers who dont go passed the fifth, a guy who has averaged about 4 innings per start, the walking enigma that is daniel cabrera and a solid jeremy guthrie. then we get to a bullpen that was so solid and is now banged up so we are calling on guys like bukvich and other over-the-hill career minor leaguers. i dont want to rush guys to the majors but i think its about time the o's start thinking about moving some pitchers up. we have a few okay options at AAA (penn- if healthy, cherry, jim miller, mccrory- if healthy) but that wont get us anywhere. its guys like tillman, hernandez, bergeson, arrieta, and erbe who need to be promoted and get ready to help out our ailing pitching. hopefully when ray and hoey are back we will be better off but we are really lacking in the one area we thought we were deep

Eicholtz
07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I was very happy to see SUCKvich get designated and get sent the hell out of dodge. He had Paul Shuey written all over him. I would rather see young guys pitch as well but I would like to see them record outs. With the young guys with exception of a few most of them can't do that on a consistant basis.

Hoey, Penn, Leicester etc and everyone else they tried over the years have all struggled. I am sure they don't want to expose a guy to another bad situation. But with that said if anyone would have to go through growing pains I would rather a young pitcher rather then a guy who is over the hill and has no chance to improve.

If they perform well in AAA or in AA (because some of these guys aren't even in AA yet)then there would be no reason not to bring them up. Liz wasn't pitching well in the minors when he was promoted. What has he done? A few good games here and there but he has struggled over all. Olsen appears more polished then Liz to me but not by much but he is struggling too. Liz threw 104 pitches and couldn't make it out of the 4th vs TEX. The Orioles don't need to rush anyone else.

They could prove me wrong and I would love that. But for the mean time they don't need to rush what is going to be a solid rotation for years to come. It's all part of rebuilding.

As far as the minors Bowie and Frederick have all the prospects. Norfolk is sad with hitting and pitching. The only hitter in AAA seems to be Oscar Salazar. I would have liked to have seen him get more time. On a side note I was there when he tied that Pittsburgh game up..Outstanding!! On the first pitch. I want to see these prospects (hitters and pitchers) perform on each level and at a consistant basis before getting promoted.

This may or may not apply to Weiters who is a special case. As we all know he could be playing for the Orioles next year. If we could get as many hitting prospects as we have with the pitchers we would be in great shape for many years. Lets hope it happens.

Dave P
07-09-2008, 07:48 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I wish they'd promote guys like Tillman, Bergeson, Hernandez to AAA so we actually have something there. One move (outside of pitching) i'd like to see them make is bring Moore up to get some starts at third and rest mora more but i doubt itll happen. this guy kam mickolio from the seattle trade did okay at AA and got promoted and i saw him pitch two dominant innings, so theres another bullpen name with some power (consistantly 93-94) that could be good, young too.

orioole26
07-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I wish they'd promote guys like Tillman, Bergeson, Hernandez to AAA so we actually have something there. One move (outside of pitching) i'd like to see them make is bring Moore up to get some starts at third and rest mora more but i doubt itll happen. this guy kam mickolio from the seattle trade did okay at AA and got promoted and i saw him pitch two dominant innings, so theres another bullpen name with some power (consistantly 93-94) that could be good, young too.

I don't think you need to promote them to AAA because as far as the Orioles brass is concern you can just as easily call them up from AA. They are probably facing just as good fo hitters in AA(more prospects) that they would at AAA.

Yardbirds
07-12-2008, 01:13 AM
We have great pitching depth, its just too young. It will take a couple years to flush out the true blue major league starters, from the bullpen guys. Until then we'll just have to grin and bare it. But if even 3 of these guys (Matusz, Patton, Arrieta, Erbe, Tillman, Liz, Hernandez, Beato, Olson) find "it". Our staff will be amazing.