PDA

View Full Version : Magic Say Landing Corey Maggette Is Long Shot

JordansBulls
07-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Source: Orlando Sentinel (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/07/magic-say-landi.html)

Orlando Magic General Manager Otis Smith said Monday that the club is interested in signing free agent Corey Maggette, but concedes they're a darkhorse in the race.

"Is it a long shot?" Smith said. "Uh, yeah."

Smith said the Magic are in the running as long as Maggette can only receive the midlevel exception, which is worth about $6 million per year.

There are a few other teams with money under the salary cap to give Maggette more, but not many.

Smith said he originally wanted to split the midlevel exception. Then, Baron Davis opted out of his deal with the Golden State Warriors and that started a chain reaction. Davis apparently has agreed to a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, which set Maggette free and made him available.

"That changed things," Smith said.

Smith said the Magic still want to bring back combo guard Keyon Dooling. Dooling said the Magic have yet to offer him a contract.

The Magic just lost point guard Chris Duhon, who has agreed to sign with the New York Knicks.

"Chris, he has a chance to start," Smith said. "That was important to him."

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah thanks, kinda saw that already, but nice way to break it to everyone that hasn't.

Reezy
07-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Hurry up and lock up Dooling. Are the Magic just waiting on what Maggette will do before they sign Dooling?

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 01:44 AM
^ True, if Otis knows that getting him won't happen then resign Dooling.

Cracka2HI!
07-08-2008, 01:50 AM
I don't think he's a good fit. You guys need to eventually get a PF(Vazquez?) so Rashard can slide down to the 3. No need to bring in someone to block the move for good.

Reezy
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't think he's a good fit. You guys need to eventually get a PF(Vazquez?) so Rashard can slide down to the 3. No need to bring in someone to block the move for good.

As soon as Vazquez comes over that would definitely be great. But I don't think he's headed over to Orlando this upcoming season.

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 02:02 PM
^ Not this season, but i am pretty sure next season.

Reezy
07-08-2008, 02:29 PM
If the real reason for him staying over there the past year(s) is true, then I'm going to be livid.

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
His buyout was like 9mil and no one is going to pay that much so he has to wait until next year.......

Reezy
07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah, but from what I heard the main reason he didn't come over here when we drafted him was because of his girlfriend. Ridiculous.

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Wow, if thats true, then he doesn't even deserve to be in the NBA.